Marriage Visa For Thailand

I have a Type "O" visa and have a year's extension for retirement purposes...After more than a year with her, I plan on marrying my Thai girlfriend. My renewal date in in April of 2005...

What do I need to do to renew the visa if I marry her before the renewal date?

Can I do this all in Pattaya or do I need to leave the country for a new type "O" visa?

If I get the new extension based on marriage, will this allow for a work permit. If so, then I can start a small business.

Thanks for any help. :o

1. You can continue with the long stay extension (800k in bank/income).

2. You can change to support Thai wife (400k in bank/income).

3. You can obtain a work permit on the support Thai wife extension.

4. You can do in Pattaya.

5. You present normal support paperwork for new extension which will be wife (in person), marriage certificate, photos together at home, bank book/statement, bank letter, home register of wife, her ID card, your passport, passport photos, TM.7, information on your income (at least total each year numbers) and copies of everything signed by person concerned.

I have a Type "O" visa and have a year's extension for retirement purposes...After more than a year with her, I plan on marrying my Thai girlfriend.  My renewal date in in April of 2005...

What do I need to do to renew the visa if I marry her before the renewal date?

Can I do this all in Pattaya or do I need to leave the country for a new type "O" visa?

If I get the new extension based on marriage, will this allow for a work permit.  If so, then I can start a small business.

Thanks for any help.  :o

Good answer! Correct and to the point.

Typical Lopburi. His visa/immigration answers are always right to the point, without filler, and caveated when there are gray areas. Has been a great help to me (including one time regarding electricity in Thailand).

Just wish he'd set-up a FAQ page with his visa/immigration info, making it required reading before all these newcomers recycle every two months (or is that weeks?).

Enough new experiences show up on this forum daily the keep such a FAQ a living piece-of-work -- and Lop busy.

Just an idea.....

Typical Lopburi. His visa/immigration answers are always right to the point, without filler, and caveated when there are gray areas. Has been a great help to me (including one time regarding electricity in Thailand).

Just wish he'd set-up a FAQ page with his visa/immigration info, making it required reading before all these newcomers recycle every two months (or is that weeks?).

Enough new experiences show up on this forum daily the keep such a FAQ a living piece-of-work -- and Lop busy.

Just an idea.....

It is a great idea Jim, but people log on and leap into visa questions immediately without looking at other replies etc. Replying to the same questions over and over is a pain in the ....you know where :o Even if we suggest the search Thaivisa they can't find anything. What do you think Lop ?

Unfortunately FAQ type answers for Thailand do not seem to stay current long enough to be very useful. Every place that tries this seems to be full of misinformation in no time. It is the daily questions and answers that keep us all up to date. I learn from those that have current experience and try to pass it along; as do many others. And as we quickly learn most things are not black or white and often between the lines. Everyday seems to bring a new twist.

Besides am too lazy. :o

Unfortunately FAQ type answers for Thailand do not seem to stay current long enough to be very useful.  Every place that tries this seems to be full of misinformation in no time.  It is the daily questions and answers that keep us all up to date.  I learn from those that have current experience and try to pass it along; as do many others.  And as we quickly learn most things are not black or white and often between the lines.  Everyday seems to bring a new twist.

The idea of an FAQ section was bandied about last year and I even volunteered to do it, however when I started trying to put it together, I quickly came to the same conclusion as lop.

There are some good Thaivisa.com Links to information on visas and work permits etc already, maybe we could pin a thread pointing that out.

Unfortunately FAQ type answers for Thailand do not seem to stay current long enough to be very useful.  Every place that tries this seems to be full of misinformation in no time.  It is the daily questions and answers that keep us all up to date.  I learn from those that have current experience and try to pass it along; as do many others.  And as we quickly learn most things are not black or white and often between the lines.  Everyday seems to bring a new twist.

I can follow that Lop ... and understand just where you are coming from :D

3.  You can obtain a work permit on the support Thai wife extension.

I am lost on that one. Never heard about that :o Please explain.

Different visa, different rules.

His previous visa was based on retirement.

The rules say that if you are retired, you cannot work.

He is expected to live off his pension.

If the visa is based on marriage the he can work.

After all he has to support his Thai wife. :D

3.  You can obtain a work permit on the support Thai wife extension.

I am lost on that one. Never heard about that :o Please explain.

Different visa, different rules.

His previous visa was based on retirement.

The rules say that if you are retired, you cannot work.

He is expected to live off his pension.

Many retirees on extended visa's get bored and want to work and the system doesn't accommodate them.

The idea of an FAQ section was bandied about last year and I even volunteered to do it, however when I started trying to put it together, I quickly came to the same conclusion as lop.

There are some good Thaivisa.com Links to information on visas and work permits etc already, maybe we could pin a thread pointing that out.

You're right, there are some excellent Thaivisa.com links available, including a FAQ page, which I'd been oblivious to until searching the last 10 minutes. Why? Because I go directly to "Thaivisa.com/forum" per bookmark, and there is no decent navigation to these links from here -- only a link to "Thaivisa.com," which doesn't give me, nor certainly any new guy, any idea where this goes. And if a new guy lands in the forum as his first step, the two pinned articles in the visa section don't direct him to "Thaivisa.com" and its navigation bar, where he can click on many pages (including FAQs) that might answer his questions.

So, Bronco, I agree -- a new pinned article pointing to "Thaivisa.com" would seem in order.

there is a link at the bottom of the page, but I guess most posters never look at the entire page and it is buried in a lot of other script.

If we get some positive feedback from admin and posters then I will put it up there.

Edited by bronco

Ok, so if you have an "O" visa, based on marraige you can apply for a work permit, or you don't need one?

Sorry - this is the first time I heard of this one :o

What are your present circumstances and what visa do you now hold ?

Ok, so if you have an "O" visa, based on marraige you can apply for a work permit, or you don't need one?

Sorry - this is the first time I heard of this one :o

If you find the job allowing a work permit it can be issued to your marriage O based visa. You do not get exemption to work permit requirement by having such a visa.