Best Margarita In Bkk For Sure! - Mamacita's Off Suk Soi 15

jfchandler

After hearing about a relatively new Mexican-style restaurant in Sukhumvit/BKK lately on TV, I meandered on over to check it out this evening, ordered a litre of margarita for 500 baht (or 150b per large glass), and came away more buzzed than any time I can remember in the past year of living in Bangkok. And... that's saying something.

The place is Mamacita's.. located just off Sukhumvit Soi 15... take a right on the side soi just past the Dream Hotel, and you'll see it on the left hand side in the court wing of the Royal President Hotel. It's little more than a few tables in an alcove of the hotel, and the food, while reasonably priced and offered with a decent homemade salsa, is nothing to write home about... But ahhhhhhhh...the margarita.......

Too often in BKK, margaritas arrive with that stale, syrupy sweet taste that virtually screams... I've been made with a mix out of a bottle. But at Mamacita, Bee, the proprietress, freshly squeezes limes for your margarita... adds Triple Sec, tequila and ice, and voila... a masterpiece for Thailand... so fresh and wonderful tasting... it's hard to describe.

Upon asking, I learn that in fact she had added a bit of sugar syrup to the mix, saying that Americans seem to like that. But the litre pitcher she prepared for the TGF and I didn't taste it, and next time, I'd tell her, leave out the syrup... just tequila, Triple Sec, fresh lime and ice, please!!!! Bee offered...she'd be happy to make them either blended or on the rocks, as the customer prefers.

Today on the day we visited, Mamacita's was offering a daily special of a hard shell taco, two enchilladas, rice and beans for 199 baht. So we ordered that for a snack, along with the litre of margarita... Between the two of us, the TGF consumed maybe 1/3 of the pitcher with our meal, while I consumed probably 2/3rds... because, I'm a bigger guy at 200+ cm, and, as mentioned above, the margarita was delicious... But much to my surprise, after finishing our meal and getting ready to leave, I found myself distinctly buzzed.....

Indeed, moreso than anytime I can remember in the past year of living in BKK, and to the extent that, it was a bit challenging to walk back to my home a few sois away on the other side of Sukhumvit Road. Now, that was just after one pitcher of margaritas...of which I consumed about 2/3rds... And, it found me more buzzed than any time I can remember lately...including long nights at Tawandaeng, Absolute 7, any number of other pubs and other places around BKK.

Now...to be clear and for the record, we went there about 6 pm on a weeknight, and getting buzzed was seriously the last thing on my mind. It was just a snack and drink after a day out and around. But, as a serious consumer of Mexican food and drink, I must say, for BKK or anywhere else around these parks, Bee at Mamacita's serves up a darned fine, absolutely fresh tasting, refreshing margarita... Just don't drink it too fast!!! If anyone in BKK is mixing a better margarita, I haven't tasted it.

post-53787-1220272431_thumb.jpg

Pitcher of margaritas at Mamacitas... 500 baht

post-53787-1220272454_thumb.jpg

special of the day... hard taco and two enchilladas... 199 baht

post-53787-1220272470_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1220272497_thumb.jpg

Mamacita's menu offerings

After hearing about a relatively new Mexican-style restaurant in Sukhumvit/BKK lately on TV, I meandered on over to check it out this evening, ordered a litre of margarita for 500 baht (or 150b per large glass), and came away more buzzed than any time I can remember in the past year of living in Bangkok. And... that's saying something.

The place is Mamacita's.. located just off Sukhumvit Soi 15... take a right on the side soi just past the Dream Hotel, and you'll see it on the left hand side in the court wing of the Royal President Hotel. It's little more than a few tables in an alcove of the hotel, and the food, while reasonably priced and offered with a decent homemade salsa, is nothing to write home about... But ahhhhhhhh...the margarita.......

Too often in BKK, margaritas arrive with that stale, syrupy sweet taste that virtually screams... I've been made with a mix out of a bottle. But at Mamacita, Bee, the proprietress, freshly squeezes limes for your margarita... adds Triple Sec, tequila and ice, and voila... a masterpiece for Thailand... so fresh and wonderful tasting... it's hard to describe.

Upon asking, I learn that in fact she had added a bit of sugar syrup to the mix, saying that Americans seem to like that. But the litre pitcher she prepared for the TGF and I didn't taste it, and next time, I'd tell her, leave out the syrup... just tequila, Triple Sec, fresh lime and ice, please!!!! Bee offered...she'd be happy to make them either blended or on the rocks, as the customer prefers.

Today on the day we visited, Mamacita's was offering a daily special of a hard shell taco, two enchilladas, rice and beans for 199 baht. So we ordered that for a snack, along with the litre of margarita... Between the two of us, the TGF consumed maybe 1/3 of the pitcher with our meal, while I consumed probably 2/3rds... because, I'm a bigger guy at 200+ cm, and, as mentioned above, the margarita was delicious... But much to my surprise, after finishing our meal and getting ready to leave, I found myself distinctly buzzed.....

Indeed, moreso than anytime I can remember in the past year of living in BKK, and to the extent that, it was a bit challenging to walk back to my home a few sois away on the other side of Sukhumvit Road. Now, that was just after one pitcher of margaritas...of which I consumed about 2/3rds... And, it found me more buzzed than any time I can remember lately...including long nights at Tawandaeng, Absolute 7, any number of other pubs and other places around BKK.

Now...to be clear and for the record, we went there about 6 pm on a weeknight, and getting buzzed was seriously the last thing on my mind. It was just a snack and drink after a day out and around. But, as a serious consumer of Mexican food and drink, I must say, for BKK or anywhere else around these parks, Bee at Mamacita's serves up a darned fine, absolutely fresh tasting, refreshing margarita... Just don't drink it too fast!!! If anyone in BKK is mixing a better margarita, I haven't tasted it.

post-53787-1220272431_thumb.jpg

Pitcher of margaritas at Mamacitas... 500 baht

post-53787-1220272454_thumb.jpg

special of the day... hard taco and two enchilladas... 199 baht

post-53787-1220272470_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1220272497_thumb.jpg

Mamacita's menu offerings

Nice review, may stop in for one this week, how was the food? Do you remember? :o

You can see a bit from the photos above....

Based on just one visit that involved a hard shell taco, a chicken enchillada and a potato enchillada, rice and beans, I would say.... I wouldn't go there just to eat the food.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the small shop is clean and pleasant... The food is home-made, and relatively freshly prepared. But, as you can see, the portions of rice and beans are very small. Likewise on the size of the enchilladas... But in addition to the smallish portions, I found it pretty average and distinctly lacking in real flavor... with the exception of the margarita, of course.

So, for me, the food was just something to keep the margarita from totally wasting me... :D

And sometimes, that's perfectly fine....

But for food alone, Sunrise Soi 12 and Charlie Brown's IMHO serve up far better and more authentic food offerings... And both have very nice margaritas of their own, particularly Sunrise if you like flavored mango or strawberry varieties...

However, for a traditional margarita, blended or on the rocks, Mamacita's is a killer. :o