State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

British ambassador briefed on political situation by Abhisit

British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle met opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva at Parliament and discussed the political situation for about an hour Thursday morning.

The two met at 10:30 am.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Quayle said the British government would support democracy in Thailand without taking side.

He said it was normal for foreign envoys to meet leaders of political parties.

The Nation

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle met opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva at Parliament and discussed the political situation for about an hour Thursday morning.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Quayle said the British government would support democracy in Thailand without taking side.

The Nation

So VERY interesting that HRM Liz's representative publicly seeks out Kuhn Abhist,

for a talk on Parliament's grounds, not his office. No backroom briefing here.

And POINTEDLY not speaking with Kuhn Samak.

Could they be noting who actually acts and talks like a leader and diplomat?

One must ask.

What face and demeanor would Thailand best be served by

at the ASEAN summit it is hosting... if it still happens?

Kuhn Tej for sure, but with him whom?

Edited by animatic

The Nation

So VERY interesting that HRM Liz's representative publicly seeks out Kuhn Abhist,

Well the diplomatic part comes very naturally from the cradle. Leadership a little harder.

The Nation

Speak with Samak? "You no use this word again, this insult me. I vote me democracy so Samak no step down"

The Nation

Right now I guess the situation is very very tense. The government seem to have disappeared as do the military. Abhisit is probably the only person around who may actually know what is going on to be available.

The Nation

Right now I guess the situation is very very tense. The government seem to have disappeared as do the military. Abhisit is probably the only person around who may actually know what is going on to be available.

And the only unbiased source as he has no own opinion.

The Nation

Speak with Samak? "You no use this word again, this insult me. I vote me democracy so Samak no step down"

Indeed, perhaps Ambassador Quayle thought that in the midst of this turmoil, he might be mistaken for a foreign journalist and didn't wish to be menacingly threatened.

As the Issan people are called Issan people alike a kind of race.

Would you call the PAD members: Sino-Thai, Thai, Siamese or do you think the current problem has NOTHING to do with ethnic groups (if any ethnic groups in Thailand)?

I do not want to be provocative. I just want to understand.

+

You who discuss with PAD people, did you really hear stories about Issan people being... well... not as clever as them? If yes, why: being uneducated or being Issan?

If too provocative, please delete my post.

The Nation

LOL ROFL...Yes, that's Samak for you....Too much rice...Not enough Protein ;-)

The Nation

Would that be No Own Opinion,

or No KNOWN Opinion?

I have gotten definite sense that he is playing his cards close to the vest right now.

But he has had things to say about the referendum for instance.

And he didn't mince words Sunday during the joint session,

while Kuhn S. made orgami birds and before screamed billiously at the opposition.

An exercise:

Can anyone IMAGINE Samak in his present mood, at the ASEAN summit with the UN head...

and facing off with the Cambodia reps too.

Without any bias now,

just imagine the repercussions...

come on you can do it.

Excelent? Good? Bad? Scary? War declared?

80 percent of foreign tourists cancel plans to Thailand

Asian Train Company Tour Driver Sinchai Rattanarat stated that his business, which mostly caters to high income foreigners has been heavily affected by cancellations of tourists to Thailand caused by rallying.

Doesn't seem to be affecting the baht much though. It seems to still be within .5 of where it has been trading (against the Cdn $) for over a month. Between the tourism problems (airport closures/cancellations), train stoppages, port stoppages, etc, you'd think the baht would be taking a bigger hit.

Wishful thinking on our part, I think. I have about $23000 Canadian, I am waiting to change, too. Oh well, if Samak keeps screwing up like this, we should get some better exchange rates sooner or later ;-)

An exercise:

Can anyone IMAGINE Samak in his present mood, at the ASEAN summit with the UN head...

Throw in some foreign journalists and the Burmese junta rep and I see a pay-per-view Wrestlemania Battle Royal

Edited by sriracha john

The Nation

Would that be No Own Opinion,

or No KNOWN Opinion?

I have gotten definite sense that he is playing his cards close to the vest right now.

But he has had things to say about the referendum for instance.

And he didn't mince words Sunday during the joint session,

while Kuhn S. made orgami birds and before screamed billiously at the opposition.

An exercise:

Without any bias now,

just imagine the repercussions...

come on you can do it.

Excelent? Good? Bad? Scary? War declared?

Yes Abhisit is playing some games instead of making himself a "different" politician (than these we are bored of).

from TOC

First Army Chief Denies PM Is Trying to Centralize Power

UPDATE : 5 September 2008

The First Army Area Commander denies the premier is trying to rip the Army of its authority by enacting two more State of Emergency decrees. The commander adds the Army has never considered the possibility of conducting a military coup to put an end to the current political crisis.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has issued two more State of Emergency decrees which effectively transfer executive power solely into the hands of the premier, including the power to mobilize the armed forces.

First Army Area Commander Lieutenant General Prayuth Chan-ocha denies the premier is trying to rip the armed forces of their power, citing that the Emergency Decree alone has already empowered PM Samak with the authority to command various laws and agencies to restore peace and order .

Lieutenant General Prayuth also adds he does not believe the two additional State of Emergency decrees are meant to prevent the Army from carrying out a military coup. He cited an earlier statement made by Army Commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda that the military has never considered the option of a coup to end the current conflict.

Commenting on unconfirmed reports that the military and police will file for additional arrest warrants on key leaders of the People’s Alliance for Democracy for violations of the Emergency Decree, Lieutenant General Prayuth says the reports aren’t true. He elaborates by saying that violators of the law will have to be prosecuted and the police will have to enforce the law while the military will not use force against the people of Thailand.

end quote

what does this mean? And where is Anupong and Samak?

from TOC

The First Army Area Commander denies the premier is trying to rip the Army of its authority by enacting two more State of Emergency decrees. The commander adds the Army has never considered the possibility of conducting a military coup to put an end to the current political crisis.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has issued two more State of Emergency decrees which effectively transfer executive power solely into the hands of the premier, including the power to mobilize the armed forces.

First Army Area Commander Lieutenant General Prayuth Chan-ocha denies the premier is trying to rip the armed forces of their power, citing that the Emergency Decree alone has already empowered PM Samak with the authority to command various laws and agencies to restore peace and order .

Lieutenant General Prayuth also adds he does not believe the two additional State of Emergency decrees are meant to prevent the Army from carrying out a military coup. He cited an earlier statement made by Army Commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda that the military has never considered the option of a coup to end the current conflict.

Commenting on unconfirmed reports that the military and police will file for additional arrest warrants on key leaders of the People’s Alliance for Democracy for violations of the Emergency Decree, Lieutenant General Prayuth says the reports aren’t true. He elaborates by saying that violators of the law will have to be prosecuted and the police will have to enforce the law while the military will not use force against the people of Thailand.

end quote

Samak has just made himself the most powerful man in Thailand

from TOC

... He elaborates by saying that violators of the law will have to be prosecuted and the police will have to enforce the law while the military will not use force against the people of Thailand.

end quote

Could it mean that should the police attempt to enforce the law and should the 'people of Thailand' try to thwart the police in their goal- don't expect the military to support the police.

Some hypothetical questions. (I realize monitoring is not realistic, so please use your imagination and try to answer seriously)

1.Would any of the PAD supporters here accept the outcome of a referendum if it was monitored to ensure it was fair....and the questions put forward were agreed to by both the government and the PAD?

3.Do you believe Sondhi would recognize the majorities vote if it did not go in his favor?

Not being a PAD supporter, let me say that I would accept the outcome OK, but I can well imagine some of the PAD hotheads here carping on about how the maid's cousin's friends' grandmother thought she heard that Thaksin was in the local market personally handing out 500Baht notes!

On no. 3, well you have to be joking. Nothing on Earth will stop Sondhi persuing his perverted vendetta against his former chum and business partner. He is an unstable fanatic, who really needs to be constrained.

An exercise:

Throw in some foreign journalists and the Burmese junta rep and I see a pay-per-view Wrestlemania Battle Royal

Tag team with the Burmese junta rep of course... :D

We take on all comers in a lock down cage fight!

:D :D :D:(:D

:P:o

Edited by animatic

The Senate passes first reading of referendum billBy The Nation

Many doubt it would work

After a two-hour debate, the Senate has on Friday passed its first reading of the referendum bill by a majority vote of 119 to five. Two abstained.

A 29-member panel has been appointed to scrutinise draft provisions for the final two readings.

The bill is on a fast track for passage as the government was pinning its hopes that the referendum outcome might help to overcome the political deadlock.

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Somsak Kosaisuk this morning cast doubt whether the referendum vote could take place.

The major obstacle is how the government could phrase the referendum question without violating the Constitution, he said.

The question posed to voters must not prejudice nor offend the PAD's right to peaceful assembly nor touch on any political system which is not sanctioned by the charter, he said.

He hinted that it might be impossible to come up with an acceptable wording which would allow voters to freely choose between the government and the PAD.

He said the PAD would not get involved in the referendum process because its unwavering demand is for the government to step down.

He also stated that he is uncertain whether a snap election would be the answer. If corrupt politicians continue to win relections and dominate the House, there won't be any improvement and street protests might continue on, he said.

Earlier PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul suggested for the breakup of the coalition alliance and called for the Democrats to have a shot at forming a new coalition.

from TOC

end quote

But for real or just on the paper? Or is there the power struggle inside and we all don't notice it?

from TOC

end quote

Or wouldn't that be SECOND most powerful man in Thailand.

or is he reading Thaksin's play book...

from TOC

end quote

Or wouldn't that be SECOND most powerful man in Thailand.

or is he reading Thaksin's play book...

cookbook: today for dinner: dictator in brown sauce

from TOC

end quote

If all this is true and if the Army doesn't stage a coup now, Thaksin(or rather his puppet) will have finally accomplished what he always wanted...Absolute Power. At least for now.

I don't think it will last. They put him in his place once and they will put him in his place again.

Either way so, the sad thing is, that the longer Samak stays in power, the more the economy will suffer. If he keeps hanging on to power like this, even if he doesn't get thrown out, in the end, he will have nothing to rule, because there won't be nothing left.

from TOC

end quote

That is correct as I understand it. While a PM in Thailand already has a great amount of power (more so than in many western countries), these edicts now give Samak complete authority.