State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a farce! I have no time for Samak or Thaksin, but to kick him out because of a cooking show on TV? What a joke. Thailand is once again the laughing stock of the world - they were having a good chuckle about it on the BBC News just now.

If you're going to kick out the PM and cabinet, then at least get him on a decent charge.

Edit: Just saw kurtgruen's post above - I agree totally with you, for a change!

Hopefully, this paves the way for more serious convictions. Even though I am in favor of getting rid of Samak and the PPP, I would like to see him go for something a little more serious, too. In the meantime, I guess we will all just have to have a good laugh, like I'm sure many Thai's will and remind ourselves of TIT (This Is Thailand)

I called it right from the beginning, I think.... TOO MUCH RICE - NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN!

There is a new topic for our current discussion.

Just for those that haven't checked yet.

Getting back in focus then, how will Samak's disgrace affect the State of Emergency? If a Prime Minister issues a SOE and later gets booted out by the courts, does that mean that the SOE is over, or can the interm Cabinet uphold it? I would say it would be upheld, but I think it also raises interesting questions?

So, let;s see. The world sees the photos, street riots, one dead, the government house occupied. State of emergency!!!! :o

Countless countries warn their citizens about travel to Thailand. Then in an instant, the PM is out for cooking. I'm going to get some e-mails from back home on this.

I'm sure most of the world ist busting their guts laughing, if they seen the CNN report on the court case and it's outcome. I think the reporter had a hard time not to break into a hysteric laugh

WHat the world might be laughing about is that to set the bar this high in a country known for being obsessively concerned with the rule of law- this particular verdict might be seen as being a bit extreme...- but to set it this high in a country that rightly or wrongly has acquired an international reputation for lawlessness: government corruption, police corruption, illegal disposal of governments by the military, illegal prostitution, illegal trade in humans/trees/animals, illegal copywrite infringement etc etc- for it to set the bar this high might well appear--- questionable at best.

HAving said that, I confess I don't know yet how the courts rationalized their decision- so I'm not entirely sure I'd agree witht he appraisal above. Yet.

Edited by blaze

So, let;s see. The world sees the photos, street riots, one dead, the government house occupied. State of emergency!!!! :o

Countless countries warn their citizens about travel to Thailand. Then in an instant, the PM is out for cooking. I'm going to get some e-mails from back home on this.

Well, small or big offense, he violated the rules and the court found him guilty!

Even it seems ridiculous, but it looks like a right step in the right direction!

One step forward.... and it's setting further signals!

That I agree with! The tide has turned and even if they try to elect him back as Prime Minister now, the whole world will continue to laugh and has credibility will be shaken around Thailand.

HIS creditibility? I think that in international eyes- it won't be HIS credibility that suffers. Recall the reasons Thaksin gave the world for skipping bail.

Edited by blaze

Well, small or big offense, he violated the rules and the court found him guilty!

Even it seems ridiculous, but it looks like a right step in the right direction!

That I agree with! The tide has turned and even if they try to elect him back as Prime Minister now, the whole world will continue to laugh and has credibility will be shaken around Thailand.

HIS creditibility? I think that in international eyes- it won't be HIS credibility that suffers. Recall the reasons Thaksin gave the world for skipping bail.

It seems according to initial reports that the evidence he gave of not receiving paymnet ran counter to tax records which show he did receive paymnet. If thst is correct it puts a very different light on the verdict. Perjury charges should now follow and any attempt to put him back as PM if that is true will look extremely dodgy.

There is a new topic for our current discussion.

Just for those that haven't checked yet.

Getting back in focus then, how will Samak's disgrace affect the State of Emergency? If a Prime Minister issues a SOE and later gets booted out by the courts, does that mean that the SOE is over, or can the interm Cabinet uphold it? I would say it would be upheld, but I think it also raises interesting questions?

It was approved by the cabinet and the interim cabnet is the same. I guess it stays until they vote to remove it.

I meant my post to be inormational. Not to get back on topic.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yep I think this is what is really important! Hope for this Nation that it will continue along this new path!

Let the entire universe laugh - did anybody offer help? NO! Could anybody help?

So let the Thai People work it our their way - the Thai way!

they will not leave that easy , maybe government house .

The yellow shirt brigade will change their demands all the

time , until they have their state they want it to be .

They handled this situation wrong from the beginning , by

giving them their attention , their demand and position will

only get stronger .

I think both sides stink !

"armed to the teeth"... usually those description refer to firearms or at least something more like this...

102-1.jpg

I'm sure you would be equally amused if the PAD thugs smacked you on the head with it SJ? :o

Big knives make good photos but the story line someone was trying to give us is that the band of thugs who took over Government House were unarmed, peaceful protesters.

There are hundreds of media pictures out there that show they were anything but unarmed or peaceful.

There are firsthand reports from Bloomberg and other reporters the night of the confrontation of bullets flying by them coming from the Government House toward the AAD mob.

PAD is for the most part armed and paid by the royalist/military/Bangkok elite who wish to overthrow an elected government and install their own henchmen to continue looting the government. Anything else is just fluff to disguise their motives.

~WISteve

I like dity politics and I like to play dirty.

If I were PAD, I would hire some trouble maker to dress in red and swing some big weapons around infront of the (foreign) camera-man. If I pro-govt, I would do the same, just switch the dress to yellow. It should only cost a few thousand baht per actor.

I am sure that both sides have already thought of that.

FAKE!

here some more photo from the fake session.

fake95504515se8kh8.jpg

that picture of somchai machete is 100% staged and faked. that are just a few actors given brand new red shirts to pose with weapons to make "good" picture. perfect example how propaganda works and how pictures can lie.

just look at the time of the day the pictures have been made. do you see the sky in the background? it is dawn, but not at night time.

you see all the photographers/reporters sourround them?

ever seen those machete boys in action, in other situations?

for me it looks like a stupid stage play with poorly costumed actors.

there have been enough evidence and pictures posted how heavy armed the PAD pirates are. pictures from different dates, locations, events. i am not going to repeat to post them. flooding this thread is the style of other posters.

for the prove of violence of DAAD the picture of somchai machete and his friend with the slingshot, the same picture, got posted again and again.

i pointed out why i disbelieve those pictures. i recommend to take a closer look at them. a closer look you should take at many " news", "messages" and so on. from both sides. don't believe everything you have been told. think for yourself!

tony c, john, can you follow my arguments? have an opinion?

if you use yourself dodgy and questionable "evidence" like this, all of your points become noncredible and implausible.

have you any interest to find the truth? or play you just a propaganda game?

i think its interesting to see the mood swing away from pad.

Taksin was a thief of that there is no doubt, but so was robin hood.

I wasn't aware that Robin Hood kept 95% of the takings for himself.

ROFL. I was born in Worksop (the edge of Sherwood Forest where good old Robin came from). My ancestral knowledge is that Robin did indeed keep 95% or in that magnitude. To put it in modern parlance he was basically he was a crook with a good PR machine. The famous poor that he apparently gave to saw little of the money.

Remind you of anyone? (perhaps more than one person and from each side).

You have to hand it to the courts, they got him out of office in about 24 hours,

It was several months - the first complaint was filed ages ago. The last show itself was run in February.

I wish they finished PPP dissolution case or Samak's last defamation appeal first, but they haven't. So we are stuck with cooking charge istead.

ROFL. I was born in Worksop (the edge of Sherwood Forest where good old Robin came from). My ancestral knowledge is that Robin did indeed keep 95% or in that magnitude. To put it in modern parlance he was basically he was a crook with a good PR machine. The famous poor that he apparently gave to saw little of the money.

it was a figue of speech i don't really believe in myths

180px-Robin_Hood_Memorial.jpg magnify-clip.pngRobin Hood memorial statue in Nottingham.Robin Hood is an archetypal figure in English folklore, whose story originates from medieval times but who remains significant in popular culture where he is painted as a man known for robbing the rich to give to the poor and fighting against injustice and tyranny. His band consists of a "seven score" group of fellow outlawed yeomen – called his "Merry Men".[1] He has been the subject of numerous films, television series, books, comics, and plays. In the earliest sources Robin Hood is a commoner, but he would often later be portrayed as the dispossessed Earl of Huntingdon. There is no consensus as to whether or not Robin Hood is based on any historical figure and little reliable historical evidence exists to support either side of this debate.

I'd recommend you contact Reuters with an inquiry over their photographs.

that means you can not think for yourself, right?

i still recommend to keep your eyes open and don't believe everything you have been told. think for yourself!

and wasn't it sondhi who said " the international media hardly understand the real issue in Thailand." there is also truth in sondhis talk.

but of course we can not finally jugde if those photos are staged and faked or not.

but as long we are able to think for ourself we can have an opinion.

can you give the source of the picture, so i know where i can "inquiry"?

but why not just use common sense? even reuters could me not give a prove that this guy 100% DAAD. they only prove seems to be the red t-shirt, draged so poorly convincing over his jacket.

but at least i see your are able to edit the things you quote. no reason to quote all and everything over and over again.

you should do that more often.

No, that means they were Reuters' photos and if you have doubts over their veracity, then you should make an inquiry with them.

102-1.jpg was the name of the photo but that was cropped down from their original lengthy name. I'm sure if you sent them a copy they would be able to identify it specifically.

Edited by sriracha john

"armed to the teeth"... usually those description refer to firearms or at least something more like this...

102-1.jpg

I'm sure you would be equally amused if the PAD thugs smacked you on the head with it SJ? :o

Big knives make good photos but the story line someone was trying to give us is that the band of thugs who took over Government House were unarmed, peaceful protesters.

There are hundreds of media pictures out there that show they were anything but unarmed or peaceful.

There are firsthand reports from Bloomberg and other reporters the night of the confrontation of bullets flying by them coming from the Government House toward the AAD mob.

PAD is for the most part armed and paid by the royalist/military/Bangkok elite who wish to overthrow an elected government and install their own henchmen to continue looting the government. Anything else is just fluff to disguise their motives.

~WISteve

If I were PAD, I would hire some trouble maker to dress in red and swing some big weapons around infront of the (foreign) camera-man. If I pro-govt, I would do the same, just switch the dress to yellow. It should only cost a few thousand baht per actor.

FAKE!

fake95504515se8kh8.jpg

that picture of somchai machete is 100% staged and faked. that are just a few actors given brand new red shirts to pose with weapons to make "good" picture. perfect example how propaganda works and how pictures can lie.

just look at the time of the day the pictures have been made. do you see the sky in the background? it is dawn, but not at night time.

there have been enough evidence and pictures posted how heavy armed the PAD pirates are. pictures from different dates, locations, events. i am not going to repeat to post them. flooding this thread is the style of other posters.

for the prove of violence of DAAD the picture of somchai machete and his friend with the slingshot, the same picture, got posted again and again.

i pointed out why i disbelieve those pictures. i recommend to take a closer look at them. a closer look you should take at many " news", "messages" and so on. from both sides. don't believe everything you have been told. think for yourself!

if you use yourself dodgy and questionable "evidence" like this, all of your points become noncredible and implausible.

Welcome back, Permanent_disorder, pathetic that some people on this forum can conspire to have anyone who disagrees with them banned!

I do believe you have a very valid point here, it wouldn't be the first time that PAD's misinformation machine has been in action. Strange that only the one photo was used by PAD's worshippers on this thread (they usually fill the page with photo after photo!), maybe because only that one photo didn't show the "photo shoot" as a totally staged, phony propaganda exercise!

No, that means they were Reuters' photos and if you have doubts over their veracity, then you should make an inquiry with them.

102-1.jpg was the name of the photo but that was cropped down from their original lengthy name. I'm sure if you sent them a copy they would be able to identify it specifically.

I think he is trying to make a point that You and TClifton are the main people that post clear PAD propaganda from PAD web pages or ASTV. As it has been demonstrated above it is easy to see how your PAD mob clowns spread total rubbish which you guys eat up. I guess its all a part of PAD's dirty campaign to overthrow democracy. At least post proven facts instead of total one sided rubbish which you guys have been brainwashed by. One fact is that PAD guards beat a man to death... So much for a peaceful protests.

180px-Robin_Hood_Memorial.jpg magnify-clip.pngRobin Hood memorial statue in Nottingham.Robin Hood is an archetypal figure in English folklore, whose story originates from medieval times but who remains significant in popular culture where he is painted as a man known for robbing the rich to give to the poor and fighting against injustice and tyranny. His band consists of a "seven score" group of fellow outlawed yeomen – called his "Merry Men".[1] He has been the subject of numerous films, television series, books, comics, and plays. In the earliest sources Robin Hood is a commoner, but he would often later be portrayed as the dispossessed Earl of Huntingdon. There is no consensus as to whether or not Robin Hood is based on any historical figure and little reliable historical evidence exists to support either side of this debate.

Yes. as I said I've already said- I come from there, thanks for the lesson though (in the place I come from).

The point is you were talking crap, you used a spurious point, and someone with local knowledge corrected your inaccuracy. Why did you bother to post back?

Thanks for the unsourced quote too. Well done.

Yes. as I said I've already said- I come from there, thanks for the lesson though (in the place I come from).

The point is you were talking crap, you used a spurious point, and someone with local knowledge corrected your inaccuracy. Why did you bother to post back?

becuase your post was based on a myth

so whos talking cxxp

i am sure worksop is a really nice place just never had a reason to go there

102-1.jpg

~WISteve

FAKE!

fake95504515se8kh8.jpg

Welcome back, Permanent_disorder, pathetic that some people on this forum can conspire to have anyone who disagrees with them banned!

I do believe you have a very valid point here, it wouldn't be the first time that PAD's misinformation machine has been in action. Strange that only the one photo was used by PAD's worshippers on this thread (they usually fill the page with photo after photo!), maybe because only that one photo didn't show the "photo shoot" as a totally staged, phony propaganda exercise!

Agreed

FAT CHANCE.

Who ever lisens to acedemics.

campaign for peaceful politics<H5 class=detailsubmit>Subhatra Bhumiprabhas, The Nation

09 September 2008

Pick to Post</H5>A newly-created group of scholars for peaceful politics, "Santi-Prachadhamma Network", yesterday launched a campaign saying "no one can be above the law and the country has to be restored to normalcy".

The group urged the government to lift emergency rule and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leaders to respect the country's rule of law. The group also called on impartial citizens to break their silence and join them to help resolve the political crisis.

"The way that would lead Thai society out of the current political violence is to restore normalcy to society first," said Thammasat University (TU) political scientist Prajak Kongkiriti at a press conference at the university's Tha Pracha Campus.

Prajak and 40 fellow-academics from various universities, including Chiang Mai University, Chulalongkorn, Kasetsart, Mahidol, Ramkhamhaeng and Silpakorn, issued a statement urging the PAD leaders to turn themselves in to the police and the government to lift the state of emergency.

"No one can be above the law and the country has to be restored to normalcy," the statement read.

"The emergency decree is a law that limited people's rights to associate and rights to political expression and may give an opportunity for the authorities to violate the rights of the people," Prajak added.

TU economist Apichat Satitniramai urged Thai society to ignore the PAD leaders' demands if they do not respect the rule of law.

"We [the group] urge the PAD leaders to respect the rule of law to show the true [principle] of civil disobedience, which will defuse violence and prevent political change by powers from outside the [democratic] system," he said.

Philosopher Kasem Penpinan added the government should also show forgiveness by withdrawing the treason charge against the PAD leaders.

Historian Thanet Aphornsuvan, dean of TU's faculty of liberal arts, warned that if people in society allow the current political conflict to develop, it could lead to a coup.

"It could be the first bloody coup in Thailand's political history," the historian said.

However, he said that he did not think it would reach a state of civil war, which many people were worried about.

The group urged people to send postcards or e-mails to support their campaign to tell the PAD leaders and the government that "No one can be above the law and the country has to be restored to normalcy."

Postcards can be sent to Room 9, 6th floor of Faculty of Liberal Arts,

Thammasat University - Tha Prachan Campus. E-mails can be sent to http://ruleoflawthailand.wordpress.com

becuase your post was based on a myth

so whos talking cxxp

i am sure worksop is a really nice place just never had a reason to go there

It wasn't my post.

Worksop is not a nice place- it's a shitehole. Well it was last time I was there

Can we leave it here?

FAKE!

fake95504515se8kh8.jpg

To begin with, you are claiming like a professional photographer or graphic artist that these pics are fake or doctored while you can't even make a straight arrow using your picture editor. :D Are you also going to discredit footage when I get my hands on it? :D

that picture of somchai machete is 100% staged and faked. that are just a few actors given brand new red shirts to pose with weapons to make "good" picture.

Really? Where is your evidence? New shirts as opposed to old red ones? Their red shirt idea is new. New shirts... :D

perfect example how propaganda works and how pictures can lie.

Perfect example based on new shirts :o says you, but we're not done just yet with YOUR shaky propaganda.

Just look at the time of day? Where does it say 6:01 am or 7:03 pm??? You are basingg your facts on a piece of lit sky. And exactly what time is it on there Mr. Greenwich? Pathetically looking for a fault in these pics are you? I guess you have a magic compass on your editing software that indicates if you are watching sunrise East or sunset West. :( You seem to forget these hired thugs went on with their business until late in the morning, well into daylight.

Yes, they followed them all night. MOSTLY FROM BEHIND THE ACTION, NOT BETWEEN CAMPS, hence the group ofphotographers seen above, and none were targeted from both sides, if you look long enough you will probably recognise some of them or their helmets on pictures and footage taken earlier in night in other surroundings.

No, the thugs in Udon all had their faces covered.

To YOU yes, and you have some pretty strange theories with no concrete proof to back it all up, just like above with your time of day.

there have been enough evidence and pictures posted how heavy armed the PAD pirates are.

You think PAD should simply be unarmed when DAAD publicly announces attacks on PAD, moves it's mob within walking distance of Makawan and the rally at Govt. House within a HUGE city (also declared they would attack ASTV station the next evening and Democrat Headquarters in Samut Prakarn the evening after that where they had setup a stage?

pictures from different dates, locations, events. i am not going to repeat to post them. flooding this thread is the style of other posters.

Flooding... :D You are not going to repeat because you simply don't have and can't post concrete proof of what you are advancing here, still, if you do, which I highly doubt, you seem too lazy or disorganised to gather it all up in one clear and concise post that would eliminate all doubt, hence your total loss of credibility, same goes with your previous claims. You only bring more doubt with what you advance here.

You may want to study photography for a while and learn about depth of field and perspective before showering yourself with ridicule again.

I pointed out why i disbelieve those pictures. i recommend to take a closer look at them. a closer look you should take at many " news", "messages" and so on. from both sides. don't believe everything you have been told. think for yourself!

We do take our news from different sources, and you sure are not of of them, especially when you tell us not to believe what you have been told, I'll take YOUR word on it, especially regarding your terribly shaky posts.

Yes I can follow you, but I won't since I feel strongly like you are totally lost and disoriented, or maybe even paid for posting such lengthy and biased posts full of unproven theories with no concrete proof to back them up, that's what my opinion of you is, even before going back to download the first posted version of these pics above. That's how confident I am and convinced you are full of it.

Dodgy according to YOU and a bunch of others riding on your wagon with no more concrete proof that you have.

We found the truth quite a while ago, which is that TRT-PPP and the other thieving thugs that pass for politicians have never shied away from resorting to violence and intimidation in desperate times. Udon DAAD attack on PAD with cooperation of police, Bangkok DAAD attack on PAD again with cooperation of police to create State of Emergency, unsolved bombings all over Bangkok, Somchai the lawyer kidnapped in rush hour, World Plaza hired thugs and convicts beating up old men, attack on people attending a Democrat rally and stage destroyed, all the way down to intimidation, threats and death against villagers up North come election time.

My text in purple

Edited by Tony Clifton