State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing is for sure...I'm glad that my wife closed the restaurant a few months ago. Being a cook seems to be a very dangerous profession in Thailand ;-)

loool, but that means your wife could be the next premier....

How long was TRT Party's dissolution case court reading? 9 hours, wasn't it???

In the interim...

Thaksin's brother-in-law says No...

DPM declines possibility of being replacement for PM

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education Somchai Wongsawas declined to comment on the pending Constitution Tribunal verdict concerning Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's status on a television cooking program.

He stated that he would listen to the verdict before revealing his opinions on the matter and did not want to seem like he was overreacting.

Somchai also took the opportunity to deny that there is short-list of possible replacements for Samak in the role of PM. He affirmed that he was not chosen as a substitute PM and assured that there was no list; firmly stating that there is only one person being considered for the PM position, that person being Samak.

- ThaiNews / today

In my personal opinion it is a laughing matter. I personally cannot stand Samak, but this is looking for "nails at low tide" (a Dutch proverb badly translated which means to keep on looking for a fault in something until you can find it no matter how small the fault is)

Really he was not hurting anyone with his cooking show. This really feels like a "Kai Yang to far" .....

Waerth

So any last minute predictions?

Is samak going down? (Hopefully not on me)

or is it acquittal time?

I think he will be ordered to cook Somtam for everybody...if it's good, he gets to stay, if it's bad, he'll go in front of the firing squad.

After he cooked for the Premier of Myanmar, every diplomatic contact with Thailand was suspended :o

and also Banharn says No.... or at least Sanan says so...

DPM Sanan says Chart Thai Leader not want to be PM

Chief Advisor to the Chart Thai party and Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart says Chart Thai Leader Banharn Silpa-archa does not want to be prime minister.

The deputy premier also suggests that all sides should cooperate to find solutions to the ongoing political problems and asks all political parties to prepare suggestions before attending a meeting with the People Power Party.

He calls on the Chart Thai party to be careful and reasonable when deciding to do something which may affect the government and requests the party members to abide by resolutions of the party meetings.

Regarding to the rumor that the People Power party (PPP) is looking for a person to replace Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, Sanan says he has never heard of it and PPP has not signaled anything.

- ThaiNews / today

How long was TRT Party's dissolution case court reading? 9 hours, wasn't it???

In the interim...

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education Somchai Wongsawas declined to comment on the pending Constitution Tribunal verdict concerning Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's status on a television cooking program.

He stated that he would listen to the verdict before revealing his opinions on the matter and did not want to seem like he was overreacting.

Somchai also took the opportunity to deny that there is short-list of possible replacements for Samak in the role of PM. He affirmed that he was not chosen as a substitute PM and assured that there was no list; firmly stating that there is only one person being considered for the PM position, that person being Samak.

- ThaiNews / today

I recall that 9 hours....some of the most boring events I ever saw, but at least it had an happy end.

and for the trifecta.... Prasopsuk says No...

Senate Speaker says he cannot be PM

Senate Speaket Prasopsuk Boondet says he has no potential to be head of the administration if Prime Minister Samak Syndaravej resigns or dissolves the parliament.

Asked whether Chart Thai Leader Banharn Silpa-archa can replace Samak, Mr Prasopsuk says any MP can be appointed as prime minister depending on the parliament’s support and suggests that members of the Cabinet should be people who have experiences and qualifications to work for the country.

He also says he believes that the situation will improve if Banharn is appointed to replace the premier.

The senate speaker also says the Constitution cannot be amended by a caretaker prime minister as it is prohibited by the law. As for a new political system proposed by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), Prasobsuk says people will not approve it.

- ThaiNews / today

LIVE UPDATE

Court starts reading verdict now...

By The Nation online

Follow key developments of another suspenseful day in politics as they happen.

(Please refresh your page regularly for latest information)

4 pm: The judges have taken turn in reading the plaintiffs' and defence arguments. So far it sounds a simple legal battle. Samak's accusers said he was "employed" by a studio to host the TV cooking show, whereas Samak's defence insisted he was urged to help with the programme and by no means was its "employee". The court's verdict, surely , will have to touch upon definitions of "employ" , "employer" and "employee" and interpret payments made to Samak.

3.40 pm: The Constitution Court has begun reading the verdict now. A long period of time is expected to be spent on reading the case's backgrounds. Cameramen will be given five minutes and will be then asked to leave the courtroom, which is totally packed.

Samak is represented in the courtroom by his lawyer Thana Benjathikul.

The court's verdict, surely , will have to touch upon definitions of "employ" , "employer" and "employee" and interpret payments made to Samak.

and earlier

Samak made a few appearances on the show after becoming prime minister

Samak, "I was hired to appear on the program and got paid from time to time."

He said the television company paid for his transportation.

Sakchai Khaewwaneesakul, the managing director of the company that produced the cooking show, testified in support of Samak, saying it paid him $2,300 for the four shows.

The Constitution Court Tuesday convicted Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej of having violated the charter by hosting commercial TV shows while in office.

The court voted unanimously to give a guilty verdict against Samak and disqualified him as the prime minister.

The court reasoned that the Constitution was aimed to prevent conflicts of interest on part of Cabinet members so Samak had violated in the intention of the charter although he host the programmes on part-time basis.

The Nation

LIVE UPDATE

SAMAK FOUND GUILTY

By The Nation online

Follow key developments of another suspenseful day in politics as they happen.

(Please refresh your page regularly for latest information)

4.30 pm: Urgent: The court finds Samak guilty.

Six judges considered Samak to be the "employee" while three others considered Samak a business partner of the studio, a constitutional offence in both cases.

The court said evidence presented by Samak that he was only given transport fees for hosting the show "contradicted" payment evidence by the studio, Face Media.

The court went strong on the principles laid down by the Constitution against conflicts of interests. The judges pointed out that using definitions of "employ", "employer" and "employee" from different laws are not enough to tell whether the will of the Constitution has been violated.

4 pm: The judges have taken turn in reading the plaintiffs' and defence arguments. So far it sounds a simple legal battle. Samak's accusers said he was "employed" by a studio to host the TV cooking show, whereas Samak's defence insisted he was urged to help with the programme and by no means was its "employee". The court's verdict, surely , will have to touch upon definitions of "employ" , "employer" and "employee" and interpret payments made to Samak.

3.40 pm: The Constitution Court has begun reading the verdict now. A long period of time is expected to be spent on reading the case's backgrounds. Cameramen will be given five minutes and will be then asked to leave the courtroom, which is totally packed.

Samak is represented in the courtroom by his lawyer Thana Benjathikul.

3.15 pm: Where is Samak? Nobody knows. He was said to have boarded his flight back from Udon Thani after the mobile Cabinet meeting but as of now no-one can confirm where he has landed. Samak's close aides who answered reporters' phone calls would only say the prime minister is now in Bangkok. However, he is not expected to appear at the Constitution Court.

2.30 pm: It has been announced that the court is postponing reading the verdict to 3.30 pm.

2.15 pm: Some food for thought in the meantime: If Samak decides to bite the bullet and defy the Constitution Court, it doesn't mean he can get away with it just like that. Firstly, a caretaker prime minister and caretaker Cabinet will find it totally difficult to go on. Seconly, Samak has another court case coming _ the appeal against a defamation conviction. If the Appeals Court upholds the lower court, he will be all but doomed because a chance to overturn it at the Supreme Court is very low.

We have been reminded that there is also a fourth scenario _ Samak being re-elected by Parliament because the charter seemingly doesn't prevent that if he loses today's case. Again, he will face the Appeals Court timebomb in the defamation case nonetheless.

2 pm: The court seems to be delaying its verdict. We are not sure by how long.

1.50 pm: One weird theory has emerged. What if Samak continues serving as a caretaker prime minister nonchalantly? Some legal experts _ who are pro-PPP of course _ point out that the 30-day timeframe to elect a prime minister is applied for the first parliamentary convention (after an election) only.

So, basically there are three scenarios at the moment in the event of a guitly verdict _ Samak serving as caretaker PM, Chat Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa replacing him, and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva performing a political daylight robbery by stealing enough parliamentary support for his rise to premiership.

12.55 pm: Samak departs the Udon Thani Airport after telling his mobile Cabinet not to worry about him. Things are tense in Bangkok, with virtually everyone awaiting the court verdict and speculating what will happen next.

10.15 am : Chart Thai deputy leader Somsak Prissanananthakul says Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa might emerge as the next prime minister if incumbent Samak Sundaravej was disqualified by the Constitution Court this afternoon.

Should Samak be removed from office by the judicial review, the Chart Thai Party would convene an urgent meeting to assess the situation which might lead to the nomination of Banharn, Somsak says.

10 am : Constitution Court judge Charan Pakdeethanakul says that the verdict on the prime minister's qualifications was ready for release this afternoon as scheduled.

8.30 am : Samak and his cabinet members start their weekly cabinet meeting in Prachak Silapakhom army camp.

6 am : Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej visits a fresh market in Udon Thani province before chairing a mobile cabinet meeting in Muang district. He appears in good mood while shopping in a fresh market.

The prime minister has his breakfast at a pork soup shop at 6 am and visits the Udon Thani Municipality Market. He is smiling while shopping.

He smiles back at a reporter without saying anything when asked whether he would accept the ruling of the Constitution Court in a disqualification case against him in the afternoon.

and also Banharn says No....

DPM Sanan says Chart Thai Leader not want to be PM

and for the trifecta.... Prasopsuk says No...

Senate Speaker says he cannot be PM

The new Prime Minister of Thailand, General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh

gallery_9005_108_33509.jpg

.......edit.... My own grandfather fought against "the rebels" in 2475 (1932). He was in charge of the police and lost out against the conspirators, one of whom was Democrat Party founder, Kuang Aphaiyawongse. That time the rebels won, so they are not called rebels but are called democrats. My dad and his generation frankly never believed Thais were "ready" for democracy. I feel different, or at least I feel we have no viable alternative. The next few days and weeks will show whether we politicians can save it before, once again, we self-destruct.

Korn Chatikavanij is Shadow Finance Minister.

Samak was just found guilty and is gone....

He ain't gone yet. The joke about it all is he has to resign but 10 minutes later the parties can vote him in again ......

Waerth

The joke was already aired on CNN and right now, the whole world is laughing at Thailland, Samak, and the way things work here.

Find a guy guilty....let him be voted right back in, find a political party guilty....just start another one with a different name....a chance that that one will be guilty, too, just start a new party just in case.... If it wasn't so sad for Thailand, it would be funny

What a farce! I have no time for Samak or Thaksin, but to kick him out because of a cooking show on TV? What a joke. Thailand is once again the laughing stock of the world - they were having a good chuckle about it on the BBC News just now.

If you're going to kick out the PM and cabinet, then at least get him on a decent charge.

Edit: Just saw kurtgruen's post above - I agree totally with you, for a change!

Edited by JetsetBkk

So, let;s see. The world sees the photos, street riots, one dead, the government house occupied. State of emergency!!!! :o

Countless countries warn their citizens about travel to Thailand. Then in an instant, the PM is out for cooking. I'm going to get some e-mails from back home on this.

Well, small or big offense, he violated the rules and the court found him guilty!

Even it seems ridiculous, but it looks like a right step in the right direction!

One step forward.... and it's setting further signals!

and

Samak was already facing charges of corruption, appealing a three-year prison sentence for defaming a deputy governor and dealing with an election commission decision last week that his party committed electoral fraud in the December elections and should be....still in the making...!

Edited by Samuian

So, let;s see. The world sees the photos, street riots, one dead, the government house occupied. State of emergency!!!! :o

Countless countries warn their citizens about travel to Thailand. Then in an instant, the PM is out for cooking. I'm going to get some e-mails from back home on this.

I'm sure most of the world ist busting their guts laughing, if they seen the CNN report on the court case and it's outcome. I think the reporter had a hard time not to break into a hysteric laugh

Well, small or big offense, he violated the rules and the court found him guilty!

Even it seems ridiculous, but it looks like a right step in the right direction!

One step forward.... and it's setting further signals!

That I agree with! The tide has turned and even if they try to elect him back as Prime Minister now, the whole world will continue to laugh and has credibility will be shaken around Thailand.