How Many Of Us Have Luk Krueng Children?

mpdkorat

Children  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean this in any way judgemental but do you think that it is right (maybe not the correct word) for someone who is mixed race never to live there or speak the language etc. I know a couple of kids who are half Thai who would have some difficulty finding Thailand on a map as they have never been there.

I know circumstances often dictate what we do in our lives but I personally think we owe it to our kids to let them experience both cultures.

Agree - and with poster 'billd' in teaching English too. Growing up bi-lingual from a very early age is such an incredible advantage, and I don't know why so many parents ignore it.

A Thai bride had her daughter from a previous marriage (to a Thai) adopted by her English 2nd husband and both lived in England from the time the girl was 8. From that day the mother never spoke Thai to the daughter!!

The girl picked up English super fast and was always placed at or near the top of her class. With intelligence like that it is a tragedy that this (100% Thai-appearing) 19 year old speaks only English.

I don't mean this in any way judgemental but do you think that it is right (maybe not the correct word) for someone who is mixed race never to live there or speak the language etc. I know a couple of kids who are half Thai who would have some difficulty finding Thailand on a map as they have never been there.

I know circumstances often dictate what we do in our lives but I personally think we owe it to our kids to let them experience both cultures.

Agree - and with poster 'billd' in teaching English too. Growing up bi-lingual from a very early age is such an incredible advantage, and I don't know why so many parents ignore it.

A Thai bride had her daughter from a previous marriage (to a Thai) adopted by her English 2nd husband and both lived in England from the time the girl was 8. From that day the mother never spoke Thai to the daughter!!

The girl picked up English super fast and was always placed at or near the top of her class. With intelligence like that it is a tragedy that this (100% Thai-appearing) 19 year old speaks only English.

All so true me and my brother cant speak thai and its is a great disadvantage I use to when i was little but no more I know a bit not much and to this day i am upset at my mum for not teaching me thai she cant give me a proper reason to this day but in my knowledge ur neva to late to learn. The thing is what happens in the future wen the older generation of my family 'go' and I want to return to the family village what do i do?

I no so many mixed race children in England who dont speak thai and it is very upsetting other cultures learn both english and there other hertiage but why not thai for one i can only suggest this language has not been recognised wholly in eng our society is still growing, but as i have seen now more more thai families are movin from thailand around england so maybe as the society and culture grows there will be more introduction to the lang in forms of lessons all over england fingers crossed

imo teaching thai to the kid isnt really for culture..

it's because.. any dumbnut with 5k us in the bank account can open a decently successful business here if he speaks thai perfectly.. very useful to have that in your arsenal.. that way you know your kid will never have any money trouble

+ spy on momy's gossip and read road signs :o

All of my children can go anywhere (Asia and Europe) and are always considered native there. I think it is good, but for them it is sometimes annoying to be talked to in every possible language and not understanding anything (except of course their mother/father language)...

post-39020-1221125005_thumb.jpg

Good job to you as well Meandwi, your daughter is quite the little angel...Or should it be 'bunny'...haha

I am wondering something though and please take no offense, but your daughter has very little hair and I am wondering did you shave her head when she was a few weeks old. I ask this because I know it is very common in the Asian culture to shave the heads of newborns whether they are boys or girls.

No offence taken. No, no shaving at all. I'd be affraid of the possibility of pimples or somehing if we did that. My brother-in-law shaved his son a few times. Now, my goodness, he has a full head of hair! It all stands straight up like he just got zapped with electricity! I wouldn't wan't that with my little girl.

Meandwi

Here are a few famous and notable luk-kreung in the US:

610x.jpg

Tammy Duckworth, former candidate for US Congress, purple heart recpient and Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs

Johnny-Damon.article_0.jpg

Johnny Damon, baseball star for the New York Yankees and formerly of the Boston Red Sox

061206_tigermom_vmed_7p.widec.jpg

And of course, Tiger Woods with his Mom.

Edited by Groongthep

During the first week of October my wife and I will be having our second luk kreung child. A little girl to go with our 3 year old boy! Life is excellent!

V best wishes and hope life continues 'excellently' for you all.

Our 3 year old luk kreung boy here in Thailand has had a few minor health problems, but all sorted out quickly, thankfully.

As we brought him home from the clinic this morning after a successful overnight check up (sudden and continuous vomiting, very unusual for him) my wife and I began to discuss the fact that he must have a different make up from us both, a mixture of the two of course.

I guess he feels the cold less than my Thai wife (I'm from northern Europe), for instance.

I'd be very interested in the thoughts of parents of older mixed race children re their health and 'comfort' situations. Any contributions here on this one, please?

During the first week of October my wife and I will be having our second luk kreung child. A little girl to go with our 3 year old boy! Life is excellent!

Our 3 year old luk kreung boy here in Thailand has had a few minor health problems, but all sorted out quickly, thankfully.

As we brought him home from the clinic this morning after a successful overnight check up (sudden and continuous vomiting, very unusual for him) my wife and I began to discuss the fact that he must have a different make up from us both, a mixture of the two of course.

I guess he feels the cold less than my Thai wife (I'm from northern Europe), for instance.

I'd be very interested in the thoughts of parents of older mixed race children re their health and 'comfort' situations. Any contributions here on this one, please?

My daughter being a little over two has only had two health related incidents. Both occurred while here in Thailand since we moved here when she was 3 months old. The first was a slight case of pneumonia (a far as I could find out since I was working in China at the time and was not with her) where she spent two days in the Surin hospital. The second was just a little less than a month ago and she had a urinary tract infection which was cleared up in two days time with some antibiotics prescribed by the pediatrician here at Chiang Mai Ram hospital. Other than these two occasions she has been a very healthy baby from the 'get go'.

The pneumonia scared me since I was not able to be by her side. The urinary tract infection concerns me because that is not so common with someone her age. But the doctor and us think is was caused by her holding herself longer than normal since she is in the stage of being 'potty trained' and is not wearing diapers 24/7 anymore.

Other than these few medical occurrences I do believe that my daughter is a normal spoiled little princess... :o

My daughter being a little over two has only had two health related incidents. Both occurred while here in Thailand since we moved here when she was 3 months old. The first was a slight case of pneumonia (a far as I could find out since I was working in China at the time and was not with her) where she spent two days in the Surin hospital. The second was just a little less than a month ago and she had a urinary tract infection which was cleared up in two days time with some antibiotics prescribed by the pediatrician here at Chiang Mai Ram hospital. Other than these two occasions she has been a very healthy baby from the 'get go'.

The pneumonia scared me since I was not able to be by her side. The urinary tract infection concerns me because that is not so common with someone her age. But the doctor and us think is was caused by her holding herself longer than normal since she is in the stage of being 'potty trained' and is not wearing diapers 24/7 anymore.

Other than these few medical occurrences I do believe that my daughter is a normal spoiled little princess... :o

We have two Luk Krueng daughters nearly 4 and 6 yrs old. I wouldn't worry too much about the urinary tract infection dingdongrb. Our youngest had the same thing happen when she was just over 2 yrs old. We were in Bangkok at the time on holiday. We ended up taking her to Praram 9 where she had excellent care. They could not get her fever down so she was admitted for 4 days and put on IV antibiotics. Ideally she would have stayed a little longer as she still had a slight infection, but we were unable to change our flights to the UK as it was Christmas time. The doctor gave us some oral anti-biotics and a letter for our Paedatrician for when we returned to Bermuda.

Unfortunately it started up again while we were in the UK so we took her to a GP in the UK and showed him the letter from Praram 9. He was very impressed by the treatment she had been given. He changed the anti-biotics not because there was anything wrong with them but simply because he thought she might not be responding to that type. Fortunately the new ones worked. She was checked over upon our return to Bermuda with an Ultrasound and blood tests and she has never had a problem since. Our paedatrician told us that having one ocurrence is not considered a problem but if it reocurrs there may be issues.

Incidentally dingdongrb our daughter wasn't fully potty trained at the time and the doctor at Param 9 suggested it might have been caused by a dirty nappy, not dissimilar from your daughters diagnosis.

Anyway here is a picture of the two taken recently when they were flower girls at a Thai/Farang wedding here in Bermuda

post-5227-1221265981_thumb.jpg

We have two Luk Krueng daughters nearly 4 and 6 yrs old. I wouldn't worry too much about the urinary tract infection dingdongrb. Our youngest had the same thing happen when she was just over 2 yrs old. We were in Bangkok at the time on holiday. We ended up taking her to Praram 9 where she had excellent care. They could not get her fever down so she was admitted for 4 days and put on IV antibiotics. Ideally she would have stayed a little longer as she still had a slight infection, but we were unable to change our flights to the UK as it was Christmas time. The doctor gave us some oral anti-biotics and a letter for our Paedatrician for when we returned to Bermuda.

Unfortunately it started up again while we were in the UK so we took her to a GP in the UK and showed him the letter from Praram 9. He was very impressed by the treatment she had been given. He changed the anti-biotics not because there was anything wrong with them but simply because he thought she might not be responding to that type. Fortunately the new ones worked. She was checked over upon our return to Bermuda with an Ultrasound and blood tests and she has never had a problem since. Our paedatrician told us that having one ocurrence is not considered a problem but if it reocurrs there may be issues.

Incidentally dingdongrb our daughter wasn't fully potty trained at the time and the doctor at Param 9 suggested it might have been caused by a dirty nappy, not dissimilar from your daughters diagnosis.

Anyway here is a picture of the two taken recently when they were flower girls at a Thai/Farang wedding here in Bermuda

post-5227-1221265981_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reassurance with the urinary tract infection Boogie. Being a father for the first time anything that is wrong with my daughter is a primary concern of mine.

BTW, you have two very beautiful girls....... Aren't we all with children blessed? Why did I wait 48 years to have a child, I'll never know...

Here are a few famous and notable luk-kreung in the US:

610x.jpg

Tammy Duckworth, former candidate for US Congress, purple heart recpient and Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs

Johnny-Damon.article_0.jpg

Johnny Damon, baseball star for the New York Yankees and formerly of the Boston Red Sox

061206_tigermom_vmed_7p.widec.jpg

And of course, Tiger Woods with his Mom.

Tiger Woods used to visit Phuket alot...

If you go to Blue Canyon Golf Course there is mention of him hitting the longest yard or something like that back in the late 90's before he was famous....

Last time one of my daughters and my wife went to Thailand groups of 4 or 5 teenage girls in their school uniforms would come up to my daughter in the malls, and tourist sites requesting her autograph and asking to take pictures with her thinking she was a movie star. My daughters have always lived in the U.S. and don't speak Thai so the communication was in English and lots of smiles. My wife would just observe and let our daughter deal with it. That last trip for my daughter was about 11 years ago and both daughters have University degrees now, married and are working here in the U.S. in their degree major.

My 1 year old son has my wife's (Thai) eyes and issan nose and is tall for his age and is much leaner than most kids his age, he has never had any baby fat, whereas I still have all mine, lol.

I'm 1/2 Scottish & 1/2 Italian and my wife is 3/4 Thai and 1/4 Chinese so our son has a crazy mix, he has beautiful olive coloured skin and goes very dark in the sun very quickly.

My wife speaks Thai to him all the time and I speak english to him all the time and he understands both, I would speak Thai to him but when I try my wife just laughs at me.

Edited by Brigante7

My 1 year old son has my wife's (Thai) eyes and issan nose and is tall for his age and is much leaner than most kids his age, he has never had any baby fat, whereas I still have all mine, lol.

I'm 1/2 Scottish & 1/2 Italian and my wife is 3/4 Thai and 1/4 Chinese so our son has a crazy mix, he has beautiful olive coloured skin and goes very dark in the sun very quickly.

My wife speaks Thai to him all the time and I speak english to him all the time and he understands both, I would speak Thai to him but when I try my wife just laughs at me.

Situation totally normal there (Thai wives laughing at our Thai language attempts!).

What a great cultural mix there!

Wonder if he's going to be a bagpipe-playing racing driver, moonlighting as a Thai chef in a Beijing restaurant?

Good luck all round!!

I think it would be fair to assume that many TV members who use the family and children forum have a luk krueng child.

great to see so many beautiful uploads. My "falang noi" (wifes expression) is 2 months old, and he is growing leaps and bounds. :o

post-55616-1221903993_thumb.jpg

Edited by mizzi39

Situation totally normal there (Thai wives laughing at our Thai language attempts!).

What a great cultural mix there!

Wonder if he's going to be a bagpipe-playing racing driver, moonlighting as a Thai chef in a Beijing restaurant?

Good luck all round!!

LOL, yeah, thanks.

There are some very interesting posts here. I just thought that would add a picture of my son getting special treatment while visiting the Bangkok Hospital here in Korat. He had a high temperature, which required that he be put on a drip for 24 hours. But he enjoyed the himself as he was getting a lot of attention. I think that he was a little disappointed when he was discharged.

post-17919-1222046515_thumb.jpg

Edited by mpdkorat

• 1 month later...

post-70125-1225378621_thumb.jpg post-70125-1225378796_thumb.jpg

We are a German Thai family and the older daughter Joanne 7(right) looks really thaistyle.

Jenny 3(left) the younger one is absolutely Made in Germany.

Even both are native german kids born in Germany.

Sometimes when we walk together my wife is asked if the mother of Jenny is also here.

I say that my wife is her mother...many are suprised.

We know many german language speaking families in Thailand with two kids with two totally different appearences.

can contact us.:[email protected]

Thanks everybody for the beautiful pictures...our children are our future...

my baby daughter has typical farang features (white skin, green colour slightly slanted eyes, straight nose & brown hair) and with a personality to match. She weighted 3.7kg at birth, biggest baby in mahasarakham hospital and now 21 months later she's 94cm tall and 15.3kg, and not an ounce of fat. The attraction of the muban and we get movie star treatment every time we go into town. She's already picked up a vocabulary of Isaan, Thai, English & Italian words. Top baby, she loves eating chocolate. She's the apple of my eye and I love her mak :o

My son is American / Thai residence in Holland and speak 3 languages, he will be 5 in Feb 2009.

When we were in BKK he was in comercial (Dumex) with other 16 Luk Kruengs.

He have my eyes and dark brown hair and most important he have my smile :-)

Another funny pic of him.

post-66684-1225661832_thumb.jpg

I am quite surprised at how well my daughter has mastered the English language. Growing up & as a youngster we couldn't share ideas as much as I would have liked.

She inherited my love of fast cars too. She is about 20 now. Luke Krueng seem to be very popular on television. We all know how open Thai culture is, they seem to really like combination of Thai & falang. It may be just a passing fad or ..........