What Religions Are Y'all Here At Thaivisa?

Jingthing

What is your religion or non-religion?  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As a European descent person living in Thailand, I find people, both Thai and foreign, assume I am a Christian. Now of course not all Thais are Buddhist and not all foreigners in Thailand are Christians. So what religion/non-religion do you follow? Apologies if your flavor is not on the list.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Living in Thailand - Agnostic.

Many people here and where I work (Afghanistan) assume I'm Christian, and don't seem to understand when I tell them I'm not. The idea of not being religious is hard for some of them to comprehend.

I've been thinking of try to revive the ancient Egyptian gods though, just to "stir the pot" a little. :o

I am also agnostic. However, I think many or most religious people don't accept that or atheism as a valid choice and would classify you instead based on what you were born as. For example, in many Muslim nations, you don't even have the choice of renouncing your religion of birth.

Edited by Jingthing

Definately, agnostic.

There have been wars, in the name of religion - to what end? People are dead and the suffering and hardship that goes with it really doesn't lead me to believe that religion is a good thing, however, I am still open to first hand proof if anyone can come up with it.

What can religion do for the poor starving millions in various countries. Does it feed them and give them water and shelter? Noooo

Agnostic all the way.

Although I kept it to myself when living in a Muslim country nine years. To the locals, being a Christian was better than not being anything at all. And since I had a business putting me in the public eye, there you go.

(I guess you could say I now have religious freedom...)

Edited by desi

The differences between atheists and agnostics intrigues me. I admire atheists for their certainty but I don't understand the rationale of being so sure there is or is not a God. In a way, the certainty of atheists seems quite the same as the certainty of believers. Agnostics won't commit to either side of the coin, so you could say they believe in nothing. You can't prove there is a God, but you can't prove there isn't either. In any case, I understand when atheists call agnostics wusses. Religious people tend to group them together, but they really are very different points of view. At this early stage of the poll, the non-religious are the most numerous. I am not surprised by that at all.

Edited by Jingthing

I am also agnostic. However, I think many or most religious people don't accept that or atheism as a valid choice and would classify you instead based on what you were born as. For example, in many Muslim nations, you don't even have the choice of renouncing your religion of birth.

Gee isn't religion just so wonderful!!!! I think youv'e guessed mine

In the context of Thailand I find I usually go along with Thai people assuming I am Christian because this is a more traditional society so some belief system is usually assumed and if you made an issue about not having one, wouldn't people think poorly of you? Similarly in the bible belt in the US, I wouldn't put a bumper sticker on my car like this:

post-37101-1220618023.jpg

In the context of Thailand I find I usually go along with Thai people assuming I am Christian because this is a more traditional society so some belief system is usually assumed and if you made an issue about not having one, wouldn't people think poorly of you? Similarly in the bible belt in the US, I wouldn't put a bumper sticker on my car like this:

post-37101-1220618023.jpg

Your'e right it needs this they might not understand the red diagonal

post-66436-1220619246.jpg

post-66436-1220619285.jpg

The differences between atheists and agnostics intrigues me. I admire atheists for their certainty but I don't understand the rationale of being so sure there is or is not a God. In a way, the certainty of atheists seems quite the same as the certainty of believers. Agnostics won't commit to either side of the coin, so you could say they believe in nothing. You can't prove there is a God, but you can't prove there isn't either. In any case, I understand when atheists call agnostics wusses. Religious people tend to group them together, but they really are very different points of view. At this early stage of the poll, the non-religious are the most numerous. I am not surprised by that at all.

When you explain it that way, it just makes me think that atheists are stupid. There is no way to know for sure that God is not real!

When you explain it that way, it just makes me think that atheists are stupid. There is no way to know for sure that God is not real!

There is no way to prove that something does not exist. Therefore anybody who is agnostic simply because "you can't prove God doesn't exist" should also be on the fence about the flying spaghetti monster, superman and santa clause for the same reasons.

Nor is there any way to know for sure that the sun will come up tomorrow. Or that the tooth fairy is imaginary. But I'm fairly sure of both.

There is no way to prove that something does not exist. Therefore anybody who is agnostic simply because "you can't prove God doesn't exist" should also be on the fence about the flying spaghetti monster, superman and santa clause for the same reasons.

Nor is there any way to know for sure that the sun will come up tomorrow. Or that the tooth fairy is imaginary. But I'm fairly sure of both.

Fairly? Sounds like a wee bit of doubt there...

:o

You lay off Santa, buddy!

That aside... I agree, hence I'm nothing, and carry no burden. Got plenty of Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Christian, and Agnostic friends... Love them all! :o

Yes, but most people in the world do seem to show signs of faith in a deity of some kind. So as an agnostic, speaking for myself and probably others, we might wonder if we are missing something, lacking the faith gene, kind of like asexual people, they don't feel it but see that most people do.

I also feel fine showing some respect to people who do believe, as long as they are not the kind that try to push their beliefs on others. Recently, a relative of mine had a health crisis and she is a believer, so I told her that I am praying for her recovery, as I know she would appreciate it. It was a white lie because I wasn't praying at all, but I was deeply and sincerely HOPING for her; what's the diff anyway?

Edited by Jingthing

After over 35 years of expat living and working and being exposed to vitually every reigion and belief on the face of this earth,,I am firmly in the belief that religion is a very personal thing.

A wise man once told me when I was a young traveller that politics and religion should never be discussed in public, I've yet to be dissuaded.

So why are you broadcasting this as a topic ?????