90 Day Single Entry And Wp To 1yr Multi How?

Hi People

I have been scouring the site for some answers on this but everyones situation is slightly different and mine a bit more complicated than most and I just keep getting more confused, every time I think I have it sussed out there always seems to be another curve ball.

I will try to keep this as short and concise as I can. Firstly I work on an oil rig in Algeria :D (the Sahara dessert is no tourist destination in my book!). I work 1 month on and 1 month off (28 days actually and travel is in my time so I loose almost 5 days of that).

I have a 2m Baht company here and I stopped over in London (I have a British PP) thinking I could get a 12 month non imm 'B' visa (got there on Thursday and left the following Wednesday so almost a week because of the weekend :D ). When I applied I was told, and only got, 90 day single entry, reason given no WP (the reason I wanted the visa). I now have the WP, stamped in accordance with the visa. I was due to fly out on Monday (8th) but that has now been postponed as the embassy in KL couldn't process it in time :o (yes I am now here without possession of a passport, another issue...as I sent it DHL). It is probably also worth mentioning that I need the Thai WP in order to get the Algerian visa in KL, otherwise it is England (this cost me another week in London on the way to work) or Australia where I have permenent residency.

Problem with all this is as soon as I fly out I am back to square 1, no visa, no WP. Can this be corrected before I go to work? I now have a bit of breathing space and have to notify the company when I am ready to fly out. Will a visit to the local (Phuket) imm office and some money and paperwork enable me to change this or not?

Can I get the visa changed to a 12 month multiple entry and the WP adjusted here in Thailand before I fly out?

If not what are my options? Time is always an issue (lost a week coming back and the time getting the WP + the Algerian visa) and I seem to spend my life (and money) on obtaining visas. 12 month multiple entry would make it so much easier !

With having to send my passport away all the time and in line with recent discussions I have read here do you think taking copies to the local police station and having them stamp them as true copies would work as a legit form of ID?

Also an off shoot to this, what is all the mention about visas and Hull all about?

If anyone needs more detail please ask but I haven't got my PP back yet and can't quote dates.

Thanks for any advise, I am starting to lose it with all this (I have the Algerian side to cope with too).

Cheers

Tony

Not easy!

Normally you should be able to secure a multiple entry non immigrant visa now that you have a work permit.

Hull will definitely issue one. Not too sure on the local Asian consulates/embassies though.

But even if you have the multiple entry visa, you will still have to be careful to be here every time your WP expires. It will always be valid until the allowed until date in your passport, and you can only do the extension when close to the expiry date, and up till (I think) 7 days after the expiry date.

Getting a 1 year extension based on employment is probably no option as you will need Thai employees and audited bookkeeping from the last year.

If you do qualify then get the extension, along with a multiple re-entry permit and you will be good for a whole year both visa and WP wise.

Not easy!

Normally you should be able to secure a multiple entry non immigrant visa now that you have a work permit.

Hull will definitely issue one. Not too sure on the local Asian consulates/embassies though.

But even if you have the multiple entry visa, you will still have to be careful to be here every time your WP expires. It will always be valid until the allowed until date in your passport, and you can only do the extension when close to the expiry date, and up till (I think) 7 days after the expiry date.

Getting a 1 year extension based on employment is probably no option as you will need Thai employees and audited bookkeeping from the last year.

If you do qualify then get the extension, along with a multiple re-entry permit and you will be good for a whole year both visa and WP wise.

Thanks Monty

No it's not easy it really is getting to me!

To clarify does your post mean I will not be able to do it here?

If so what do you recommend I could get a stop over in the UK again on the way back but doesn't that render the WP invalid or can that just be extended when arriving back in LOS.

The book work has been kept straight but we don't have the 4 employees but if necessary I will employ 4 Thais to accommodate. any suggestions gratefully received!

A big part of the problem is the time restraints with work in obtaining all of this.

Cheers

Tony :o

Just to add tothe confusion I found this at Non-Immigrant visa on this forum

"

When an alien applies for a non-immigrant visa "code B" , to stay in the country 90 days or less, and would like to apply for an extension or an alien applies for a non-immigrant visa "code B-A" , to stay over 90 days, he/she will need to submit the following:

1. Application Form T.M. 7 (for extension of an alien who enters the Kingdom for not more than 90 days).2. A copy of the passport or substitute document.

3. One 4*6 cm. Photo.

4. 500 baht fee is required for an extension of 90 days or less.

5. A recommendation letter from the company showing the positions of the applicant as well as the position of all foreigners working in the company and for what reasons these aliens must be employed.

6. Work permit or the receipt showing the alien has applied for such a permit from the Ministry of labour and Social welfare.

7. The alien's personal tax details including: balance, profit and loss, entity income tax, Vat records for the past year.

8. Certificate of entity registration, company registration certificate of limited company or commercial registration or VAT registration and list of partnerships.

9. Export companies must submit document of export transactions, i.e. bank or company transactions.

10. The officials reserve the right to require more documentation for further investigation to verify the company's viability.

"

This seems to indicate that it can be extended here in Thailand

Tony :o

The above is for extension based on employment, but it's very outdated!

Extensions have been 1,900 Baht for several years now.

Currently you need to have 4 employees, with their social security and taxes paid for at least the 3 previous months, the audited bookkeeping of the past year needs to show revenue of at least 12 months worth salary of the WP holder (for Europeans 12 times 50,000= 600,00 Baht of revenue).

You need to supply immigration with pictures of your staff at their work place, and they will do an unannounced check of your premises to confirm that the staff is actually working there (and not just "paper" employees on which you just pay the taxes).

So it's not that easy anymore.

Regarding your WP, it does not expire when you leave the country! It'll expire on the date written in your WP, so basically you have to be in Thailand when the WP expires and you'll have to hold a non immigrant B visa. Then you just extend your WP at the labor department where they will sync it with your current visa.

Currently you need to have 4 employees, with their social security and taxes paid for at least the 3 previous months, the audited bookkeeping of the past year needs to show revenue of at least 12 months worth salary of the WP holder (for Europeans 12 times 50,000= 600,00 Baht of revenue).

You need to supply immigration with pictures of your staff at their work place, and they will do an unannounced check of your premises to confirm that the staff is actually working there (and not just "paper" employees on which you just pay the taxes).

Regarding your WP, it does not expire when you leave the country! It'll expire on the date written in your WP, so basically you have to be in Thailand when the WP expires and you'll have to hold a non immigrant B visa. Then you just extend your WP at the labor department where they will sync it with your current visa.

Thanks again Monty

So I should be able to extend the visa (another visa run) or get another one, is it best to do that on my way back in or can I just come home (on an exempt tourist visa) and do a local visa run somewhere and then get the WP extended to match the visa. I guess I'll have to work out if I will be home at that time.

You can't get the WP extended till it is close to expiring?

What is the deal involving a multiple entry visa?

And extending it to 12 months?

Tony

Thanks again Monty

So I should be able to extend the visa (another visa run) or get another one, is it best to do that on my way back in or can I just come home (on an exempt tourist visa) and do a local visa run somewhere and then get the WP extended to match the visa. I guess I'll have to work out if I will be home at that time.

Tony

Firstly, Your chances of getting an Extension of Permission to Stay, if you have a small company here are almost zero.

But you can easily work things out with non B entry stamps. Your work permit permission is always extended to match the non immigrant B stamp (given on entry to Thailand with a valid non imm visa) OR Extension of Permission to Stay (from your local immigration dept) in your passport.

You cannot allow your work permit to expire, you must make a WP5 application to extend at labour before that date. You can apply in lieu of supplying coipies of the new visa/passport stamp.

Your WP does not expire just because you leave Thailand.

However you can get a new passport stamp at any time prior and use this to renew the permission in your WP.

You can get a one year multiple entry non imm b from KL (see these links Paperwork for non immigrant B visa and Special Work permit stamp for KL ).

Remember that you can get a new non b 90 day border stamp before you leave Thailand then renew you WP with this for three months.

BTW It is illegal to be without your passport in Thailand - better get a second one. You cannot post a passport overseas from Thailand to get a Thai visa.

Thanks again Monty

Tony

Firstly, Your chances of getting an Extension of Permission to Stay, if you have a small company here are almost zero.

But you can easily work things out with non B entry stamps. Your work permit permission is always extended to match the non immigrant B stamp (given on entry to Thailand with a valid non imm visa) OR Extension of Permission to Stay (from your local immigration dept) in your passport.

You cannot allow your work permit to expire, you must make a WP5 application to extend at labour before that date. You can apply in lieu of supplying coipies of the new visa/passport stamp.

However you can get a new passport stamp at any time prior and use this to renew the permission in your WP.

You can get a one year multiple entry non imm b from KL (see these links Paperwork for non immigrant B visa and Special Work permit stamp for KL ).

Remember that you can get a new non b 90 day border stamp before you leave Thailand then renew you WP with this for three months.

BTW It is illegal to be without your passport in Thailand - better get a second one. You cannot post a passport overseas from Thailand to get a Thai visa.

Thanks for that digitalchromakey

I am reading this now but have a dental appointment in 30 minutes so haven't got time presently to digest the sites info.

I am not sure how this is achieved so if you can enlighten me I would be grateful

"Remember that you can get a new non b 90 day border stamp before you leave Thailand then renew you WP with this for three months."

Thanks looks like hope yet !

BTW I only just discovered about the passport thingy, I have to do it for work not for Thailand and have been doing it for a while but will have to take measures to correct the situation. It's either this or fly out to do it all the time. I'll check to seee if I can have 2 British passports or have to cook up another scheme to stay legal.

Thanks again

Tony

"Remember that you can get a new non b 90 day border stamp before you leave Thailand then renew you WP with this for three months."

This basically means that, if you hold a multiple entry non immigrant visa, you can at any given time do a quick border run to any border (mostly Cambodia, but if Southern Thailand based can be Malaysia or Myanmar, Victoria point).

You can do this a few days before you have to leave for work.

You'll get 90 days stamped when re-entering, then get your WP synced again with your new allowed until stamp.

You are then free to leave Thailand and then only have to take care to come back before the expiry date (which will be almost 3 months away) so you can again match your WP validity with your last/current immigration stamp...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again Monty

Tony

Hi digitalchromakey, I have (shares in) a 2 mil Co. and next year I am applying for a WP. I also want to import some personal household stuff next year and not pay the duty on it, to do which I will need, as I understand it, an annual extension of stay. Am I on to a non-starter here, you seem a bit negative on the chances of an annual extension of stay, working for a small Co.?

Hi digitalchromakey, I have (shares in) a 2 mil Co. and next year I am applying for a WP. I also want to import some personal household stuff next year and not pay the duty on it, to do which I will need, as I understand it, an annual extension of stay. Am I on to a non-starter here, you seem a bit negative on the chances of an annual extension of stay, working for a small Co.?
Marvo, firstly the paper trail for a Section 7.1 extension under National Police Order 606/2549 is daunting to say the least: 4 Thai employees, certified audited accounts, social and tax payment records for Thai staff, Por Ngor Dor 91 for last year showing, 600,000 THB income, the list goes on. Not impossible, but real hard work (certainly at my local immigration dept).

However, don't despair. I have been following the other thread on this subject, where several posters say you must have an Extension of Permission of Stay to import your stuff. For your information I did it a few years ago with a regular WP, a one year non B and no extension.

Admittedly I also brought in a car in the same container (which I did have to pay some duty on); but my household goods themselves were duty free (no tax paid), if I remember correctly.

So you might be lucky. I did need several trips to the Dept of Commerce in BKK to get the papers right though. They accepted my one year non B, the only issues I had were with my WP, which in those days had a 6 month validity, which I had to change to 1 year.

Marvo, firstly the paper trail for a Section 7.1 extension under National Police Order 606/2549 is daunting to say the least: 4 Thai employees, certified audited accounts, social and tax payment records for Thai staff, Por Ngor Dor 91 for last year showing, 600,000 THB income, the list goes on. Not impossible, but real hard work (certainly at my local immigration dept).

However, don't despair. I have been following the other thread on this subject, where several posters say you must have an Extension of Permission of Stay to import your stuff. For your information I did it a few years ago with a regular WP, a one year non B and no extension.

Admittedly I also brought in a car in the same container (which I did have to pay some duty on); but my household goods themselves were duty free (no tax paid), if I remember correctly.

So you might be lucky. I did need several trips to the Dept of Commerce in BKK to get the papers right though. They accepted my one year non B, the only issues I had were with my WP, which in those days had a 6 month validity, which I had to change to 1 year.

Thanks for that glimmer of hope DCK.

Is this what you are referring to, from the Thai customs website.... and I understand that where they say "one-year non-immigrant visa" they mean "one-year annual extension of stay"

Nonresidents: Nonresidents may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the requirements listed below:

1. Nonresidents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Nonresident Identification Card; or
  2. Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand will be regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted: (2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or
    (2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

I have a one year multi non-im O visa, not the B visa. As I understand it, a WP on a non-im O is no problem but do you think that will make any difference importing the household goods duty free ?

Got a feeling that in Prachuap Khiri Khan province I'm still going to need 4 Thai employees though to get the WP :o .

Edited by Marvo

Thanks for that glimmer of hope DCK.

Is this what you are referring to, from the Thai customs website....

Nonresidents: Nonresidents may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the requirements listed below:

1. Nonresidents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Nonresident Identification Card; or
  2. Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand will be regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted: (2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or
    (2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

I have a one year multi non-im O visa, not the B visa. As I understand it, a WP on a non-im O is no problem but do you think that will make any difference importing the household goods duty free ?
Precisely. Ministry of Commerce accepted my papers on that basis (Not 1 but 2 with 2.2).

As to your having a non O, I have no idea, but no harm in trying. Worse case is you get your stuff in and pay some tax.

Remember that any delay in paperwork can incur unpleasantly high storage charges; better you sort the paperwork as soon as you start shipping.

Edited by digitalchromakey

"Marvo, firstly the paper trail for a Section 7.1 extension under National Police Order 606/2549 is daunting to say the least: 4 Thai employees, certified audited accounts, social and tax payment records for Thai staff, Por Ngor Dor 91 for last year showing, 600,000 THB income, the list goes on. Not impossible, but real hard work (certainly at my local immigration dept)."

Errrrm... I don't do any of that and I've held my work permit for about 4 years. I did however change lawyer about 3 years ago, and they told me i needed 4 thai employees... photos of them in the work place... this and that... Tabian Baan. I couldn't get the tabian baan for my appt / office, as the landlord refused to give it to me. Anyway, i went back to my previous lawyer, cap in hand, and all these problems went away. I never have to provide accounts, paperwork, or anything else, ever. I only need one employee (I gave them a copy of my GFs ID card) and i dont pay any taxes for them. I get a non-imm B multi (fromUK, KL, SG, and Manilla previously with no problems. Phnom Penh is a no no though), and my WP gets renewed every three months in sync with my visa. I pay B792 every month in tax, and B2000 every 3 months. Total bill is B4376 every 3 months. No other fees, ever.

I get a VERY good deal compared with some of my work buddies. Phuket labor office.

I'd shop around and see what different lawyers say.

As for your visa. Thai Embassy in Hull. Guaranteed. Just include a letter from your company on headed and stamped paper, sign it, stick in a cheque for £100, and you'll get your multi B back to your door within 48 hours. I assume the employees at the embassy in Hull are on some kind of commission for how many visas they can issue Lol. I have never heard of a visa being refused from Hull.

Edited by js1

"Marvo, firstly the paper trail for a Section 7.1 extension under National Police Order 606/2549 is daunting to say the least: 4 Thai employees, certified audited accounts, social and tax payment records for Thai staff, Por Ngor Dor 91 for last year showing, 600,000 THB income, the list goes on. Not impossible, but real hard work (certainly at my local immigration dept)."
Errrrm... I don't do any of that and I've held my work permit for about 4 years.

I get a non-imm B multi (fromUK, KL, SG, and Manilla previously with no problems. Phnom Penh is a no no though), and my WP gets renewed every three months in sync with my visa. I pay B792 every month in tax, and B2000 every 3 months. Total bill is B4376 every 3 months. No other fees, ever.

This is exactly the point; for many living and working in Thailand it's a lot easier to carry on with B visa and visa runs than it is to get extensions on the basis of business (Section 7.1 extension under National Police Office Order 606/2549)

Errrrm... I don't do any of that and I've held my work permit for about 4 years.

I get a non-imm B multi (fromUK, KL, SG, and Manilla previously with no problems. Phnom Penh is a no no though), and my WP gets renewed every three months in sync with my visa. I pay B792 every month in tax, and B2000 every 3 months. Total bill is B4376 every 3 months. No other fees, ever.

This is exactly the point; for many living and working in Thailand it's a lot easier to carry on with B visa and visa runs than it is to get extensions on the basis of business (Section 7.1 extension under National Police Office Order 606/2549)

....and as we've discussed above, it looks like an annual extension of stay is not in fact mandatory in order to get personals into the country duty free. It does say though that a WP for a year or more is req. though :o . How does that work? Is the work permit issued, a one year permit, but somehow tied to the 90 day permission to stay stamp which is acquired on border runs? Or is there such a thing as a 90 day work permit?

Aaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

I am going through similar problems. , I got my first WP and they gave me 6 months, then they wanna see me in 6 months along with company records and they will give me a year.

Has anyone heard of KL issueing a Non B Multiple ( year ) on a 6 month WP ?

Aaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

I am going through similar problems. , I got my first WP and they gave me 6 months, then they wanna see me in 6 months along with company records and they will give me a year.

Has anyone heard of KL issueing a Non B Multiple ( year ) on a 6 month WP ?

In KL you must have 1 year "extension stamp" in your WP.

....and as we've discussed above, it looks like an annual extension of stay is not in fact mandatory in order to get personals into the country duty free. It does say though that a WP for a year or more is req. though :o . How does that work? Is the work permit issued, a one year permit, but somehow tied to the 90 day permission to stay stamp which is acquired on border runs? Or is there such a thing as a 90 day work permit?
The Work Permit 'Work Period' is marked to the left near the base of Page 5. Many still apply for a six month period - that used to be the standard. It can be easily changed at labour using the change form WP7. The permission stamp itself in the WP is always linked to your pasport entry stamp (90 days if you are on a non B mullti), but this is not the validity period.

....and as we've discussed above, it looks like an annual extension of stay is not in fact mandatory in order to get personals into the country duty free. It does say though that a WP for a year or more is req. though :D . How does that work? Is the work permit issued, a one year permit, but somehow tied to the 90 day permission to stay stamp which is acquired on border runs? Or is there such a thing as a 90 day work permit?
The Work Permit 'Work Period' is marked to the left near the base of Page 5. Many still apply for a six month period - that used to be the standard. It can be easily changed at labour using the change form WP7. The permission stamp itself in the WP is always linked to your pasport entry stamp (90 days if you are on a non B mullti), but this is not the validity period.

That's another one you've cleared up for me, cheers DCK :o

• 3 weeks later...

Well for those that are interested, I finally got the 12 month multiple entry visa from KL. It seemed that the WP was what was needed. So to sum up (IMHO) get your 90 day singlr entry Non Imm 'B' get your WP, then apply for your 12 month multiple entry and have your WP upgraded to match.

Ignore the Thai embassy websites (except maybe Hull)

Sweet :o