Drug Abuse, Prostitution Still Thailands Woes

george

Drug abuse, prostitution still the country's woes

BANGKOK: -- The country is suffering from widespread drug abuse and a rising number of young male prostitutes, the youngest being 13, the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board's deputy secretary-general, Kittisak Sinthuwanich, said.

These facts were revealed in the agency's second quarterly report, for which a focus group was monitored from April to June on five dimensions, namely the quality of human resources, health and social security, the behaviour and well-being of citizens, the sexual behaviour of young people and the environment.

With regards to human resources, the report found that unemployment had dropped to 1.4 per cent both within and outside the agricultural sector.

Employment in the handicrafts industry, however, had risen to 1.5 per cent due to a dwindling in the labour-intensive industry.

In reference to health, the report showed that Thais needed to watch out for 11 types of infections and diseases. Also, according to data collected by the Public Health Ministry over the past decade, people aged between 15 and 24 were suffering from sexually transmitted diseases - a number that continues to rise. However, in terms of social security, people's lives and property were more secure though drug abuse was becoming a severe problem.

He said, even prisoners had easy access to drugs.

On the other hand, injuries and deaths caused by road accidents had reduced due to the strict enforcement of traffic law. However, people were still breaking speed limits.

With regards to social behaviour and well being, the report showed that households were spending less on alcohol but more on cigarettes. However, alcoholism and consumption of cigarettes among young people was still on the rise. In addition, more and more teenagers were living together outside marriage.

The report also found that there are 48,000 people working in the sex industry, including students, of which 44.4 per cent were aged between 13 and 16.

About 60 per cent of the sex workers earned about Bt20,000 a month.

With regards to the environment, the report said the quality of air in many areas had improved but people in Bangkok, Saraburi and Chiang Mai were still breathing in small particles. In addition, some areas in Bangkok had high levels of ozone gas, while almost every area in the capital was affected by noise pollution.

-- The Nation 2008-09-09

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to judge from this ridiculous article whether this is inept reporting from The Nation, or the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board is one of Thailand's more incompetent government bureaus. Probably both.

Do explain!

Don't tell us you actually believe the reort j4?

Wow! 48,000 people working in the sex industry. Was that just within a 1 Kilometre radius of Walking St, Pattaya? or did they include Soi Cowboy and Nana? What a ridiculous figure!

I was told some years back that the reason they can make such outrageous statements is down to the definition they use for a prostitute.

Apparently a woman, or man I guess, is deemed a prostitute if they work in a brothel. A brothel is a place where a man, predominantly, goes to buy sexual services. A beer bar is a place where a man goes to drink beer. Similarly a gogo bar is where a man goes to drink and be entertained. If in either place a man strikes up a converstion with one of the staff and as a result they go away together for the evening/night that is their business as consulting adults. Should the man decide to contribute a little reward by way of a contribution to the worker's well being that is also their business. The same thinking also extends to short time bars provided the rooms do not lead directly off the bar itself. The bar fine is merely the customer's way of recompensing the owner for the absence of one of their staff.

The bit about the s/t bars is definately plausible as I recall a well known s/t bar, aka the 20th hole, that had to shut as it contravened that rule, or that was the story.

This is how it was put to me. I have not bothered to do any further research on the subject as, quite frankly, I don't give a stuff. But knowing a little about the Thai way of thinking, particularly government departments, it would be deemed plausible.

btw I hope this doesn't contravene the forum rules regarding discussion of certain topics. If it does any of the Mods are free to delete it.

Hard to judge from this ridiculous article whether this is inept reporting from The Nation, or the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board is one of Thailand's more incompetent government bureaus. Probably both.

Do explain!

IMHO sloppy reporting. The report is detailed, full of facts and figures. It's put out in part to develop a better understanding of the situation. Sometimes the quarterly reports highlight specific issues, such as equity for women in the workforce. When reports like this get into the hands of the inept, misinterpretation occurs. Sort of like a loaded gun. In the wrong hands, it can be dangerous.

If you can read Thai, report is available via http://www.nesdb.go.th If you want the english version, usually it is filed with the OECD library, which the NESDB links to. In defense of the NESDB, these people do work hard to compile the data that in turn is used to better manage programs and direct resources where needed best.

Well, it's good to know that my friend who got laid off at a factory and is now sitting around whittling wood is considered to be employed in the handicraft industry! It sure looks to me like he's unemployed!

Wow! 48,000 people working in the sex industry. Was that just within a 1 Kilometre radius of Walking St, Pattaya? or did they include Soi Cowboy and Nana? What a ridiculous figure!

48.000 work the others don't work they just f.....

Cowboy, Nana and Pattaya are just a very small percentage of the prostitution here. There are tons of massage parlours, karaoke's, lounges and restaurants out there that offer far more prostitutes than most foreigners would even care to meet.

Waerth

Cowboy, Nana and Pattaya are just a very small percentage of the prostitution here. There are tons of massage parlours, karaoke's, lounges and restaurants out there that offer far more prostitutes than most foreigners would even care to meet.

Waerth

Yes,its always assumed this is a farang tourist trait when in fact after travelling all over thailand i can assure you the thai males are not adverse to some bg indulgance ,.one small town in particular i stayed in i was invited out for a drink and we drove into the rear of a premises car park and a tarpaulin was draped over the car,they are just more discreet than us :o

On the other hand, injuries and deaths caused by road accidents had reduced due to the strict enforcement of traffic law. However, people were still breaking speed limits.

"Strict enforcement?" I almost never see cops stop motorists for anything other than checking for licenses.

In front of my condo today, a motorcyclist was killed going the wrong way on the side of the road. And while the cops on television admonish drivers that this is illegal, the cops in the area never stop this from happening. Yes, I know it is a pain to go the long way around (7.5 km to go make the u-turn loop), but by trying to take a short-cut, a young man is not going home today.

A couple of months ago. I watched a driver shoot a red-light almost pancaking a cop. The cop merely righted his bike and continued on his way. In any other country, the cop would have given chase and called all of his cop buddies to assist.

I am really not that concerned with moderate speeding. It is the flagrant breaking of the most obvious traffic rules and regualtions that have me concerned, and I wish the police would enforce those rules.

I have a tendency to view with suspicion government reports. They use narrow interpretations, limited data, and are usually designed to produce results which fit someone's agenda, and also to avoid criticising anyone or anything too important.

If the average sex worker is making 20,000b a month then he/she is on a good wage. Does the report look at the wages and lifestyle of a garment worker or a young person working for 6,000b a month in a 7/11 ?

It was a typo - what they met to say was

48,000 places of prostitution and that was for Bangkok only.

The report also found that there are 48,000 people working in the sex industry, including students, of which 44.4 per cent were aged between 13 and 16.

Inasmuch the number of 48,000 people working in the sex industry in Thailand is a valid number, I can only say this can only be a silly number.

For example, in the Netherlands, a country of 16 Million people, it is GUESSED, that nearly 350,000 men and women "work" in the sex industry, and another 150,000 are students, housewives & all.

So 48,000 men and women on a 60+ million population is completely unbelievable.

The statement that of those 48,000 workers more than 40% is aged between 13 and 16 years is mind boggling indeed!!!!!!!

Edited by hansnl

Inasmuch the number of 48,000 people working in the sex industry in Thailand is a valid number, I can only say this can only be a silly number.

For example, in the Netherlands, a country of 16 Million people, it is GUESSED, that nearly 350,000 men and women "work" in the sex industry, and another 150,000 are students, housewives & all.

The statement that of those 48,000 workers more than 40% is aged between 13 and 16 years is mind boggling indeed!!!!!!!

You skipped a comma moron. Within the group of students, 44.4 per cent were aged between 13 and 16. That means 55.6 percent of the students are NOT between 13 and 16.

You skipped a comma moron. Within the group of students, 44.4 per cent were aged between 13 and 16. That means 55.6 percent of the students are NOT between 13 and 16.

The use of the word moron for someone else is probably originating from your name MORtenaa.

This moron sees now that he missed a comma, so very sorry.

Missing the comma does not take away the fact that within the group students in the sex industry, 44.4% were aged between 13 and 16.

You must be leaning to the side of moronism too, if you can only tell us that 55.6% of the students working in the sex industry are older.

That only demonstrates that your calculator is switched on.

It does not make it less awful that such a big portion is so young.

The use of the word moron for someone else is probably originating from your name MORtenaa.

Missing the comma does not take away the fact that within the group students in the sex industry, 44.4% were aged between 13 and 16.

You must be leaning to the side of moronism too, if you can only tell us that 55.6% of the students working in the sex industry are older.

hahahahahaha very well answered

I agree it doesn't make it less anything, but it just blew the air out of your fifteen exclamations :o

I agree it doesn't make it less anything, but it just blew the air out of your fifteen exclamations :o

Really?

I am, as always, full of fried air, like the traders in shares and oil.

But in my case without the fringe benefits of a well filled purse.

Besides there were only 7 exclamation marks.

Here are another 8 !!!!!!!!

Total 15

Besides, I do not qualify for moron, only for cheesehead!

And that is 16

But thank you for you agreeing with me.

No offence taken, and I hope not given.

It is correctly calculated that 55.6% are not betweed 13 and 16. The 55.6% are either older than 16 OR YOUNGER THAN 13. Thats a fact which I hope has little relevance to the actual truth.

Dont give much (I wish you didnt) for your moron comment, not good forum manners

This article is just another example of why Thailand is such a mess.Positive action is never taken and when they talk its just rubbish.A Pattaya city councillor once said that their wasnt a problem with prostitution in pattaya because prostitution was illegal :D:D:D Survey says 48000 hookers in Thailand ??? they must mean 48000 establishments offering services..right? 99% of all prostitution in LOS revolves around Thais not foreigners.There are more than 100 karaoke bars on jalan sanitwong rd thonburi,alone!!!Very few farangs there. :o There are believed to be more than 1 million Thai hookers in Japan.Korea Taiwan, Malaysia,Singapore,UK,Holland,Germany etc this list goes on and on.Tens of thousands of them are married to old men in European countries but keep working.Its an industry almost unique to Thailand for 30 years. :D:(:D Now you know why Thailand is LOS!!!

He's just typical of the boorish pratts that the forum is attracting these days.

I should re-phrase "these days". This forum has attracted, and been demoralised (hijacked) by these postees for a good number of years now, and most people in SEA use it for amusement rather than information.

Wow! 48,000 people working in the sex industry. Was that just within a 1 Kilometre radius of Walking St, Pattaya?

or did they include Soi Cowboy and Nana? What a ridiculous figure!

And 44%, that means 21000 are aged between 13 and 16?????????????

Who was it who said there are lies, damned lies and statistics? :o