Buy A Labtop In Chiang Mai Or In Europe

bagan68

¡Hi !

I will be a new Spanish member of the "Farang Comunity" in Chiang mai next January 2009

I was wondering wether to buy a reasonable Labtop in Spain for around 500 Euros(25.000 Bahts) or wait and buy it in Chiang Mai upon my arrival.

Can I have your advise? Are there any other reasons than the price that makes better to buy it in Thailand or here in Europe? If it is better to buy it in Chiang mai Where do I have to go?

¡Thanks a lot for you help! :o

Cheers,

Hola Bagan,

Well, it depends how long you're going to stay in Thailand or in Asia.

If you've planned to stay in Asia just for a while I'd recommend to buy your laptop in Spain, because if you but it in CM (except Mac) the warranty is available ONLY in Asia.

Now if you're going to be a long term resident in CM, I'd recommend to buy it here upon your arrival. but note that the laptop, here, don't have keyboards with European accents (such as in French and Spanish).

As for where to buy it in CM : You should find anything you want at Panthip Plaza : Acer, HP, Fujitsu, Compaq, Sony, Mac, etc...

Hasta luego :o

Hola Bagan,

If you've planned to stay in Asia just for a while I'd recommend to buy your laptop in Spain, because if you but it in CM (except Mac) the warranty is available ONLY in Asia.

Now if you're going to be a long term resident in CM, I'd recommend to buy it here upon your arrival. but note that the laptop, here, don't have keyboards with European accents (such as in French and Spanish).

As for where to buy it in CM : You should find anything you want at Panthip Plaza : Acer, HP, Fujitsu, Compaq, Sony, Mac, etc...

Hasta luego :o

Yes...except for Mac! Be well-advised! Unless you are a masochist! Otherwise, it is impossible to reply to such a general request! Ever try to help someone choose a computer and where to get it?! In marriage situations, shopping for computers together is probably now the third highest cause for divorce after sex and money!

Hola Bagan,

Hasta luego :D

¡Hola!

¡I beg your pardon to a Spanish guy trying my best when I write in english! :D I think I am looking for a "laptop" :D

I will be or unless try to be a very long term resident in Thailand as I have just quited my job here in a Spanish Tour Operator owned by a big British Touristic Group and started to sell my belongings(Car,furniture, etc) in order to make this change of residence.

So I will follow your advise and buy the "laptop" without accents upon my arrival.

I hope you still have this kind of dates at Tuskers or wherever they are to welcome the "poor " new "farangs" :o arriving to Chiang Mai knowing very little about daily live there. I have been in Chiang Mai three or four times but only in a rush and for busineess reasons.

Thanks a lot , mates, for your help.

Cheers,

I suggest to buy your laptop in Spain with a Spanish configuration (or in Catalan...) and English as well. It would be -maybe- difficult to have it installed in Thailand.

Also, as mentioned the keyboard is different and corresponding and talking to Spain (also via Skype) would be easier for you.

Just my thoughts, but my wife couldn't do without her own language (in this case Chinese as well as English and Dutch)

Good Luck

LaoPo

I suggest to buy your laptop in Spain with a Spanish configuration (or in Catalan...) and English as well. It would be -maybe- difficult to have it installed in Thailand.

Also, as mentioned the keyboard is different and corresponding and talking to Spain (also via Skype) would be easier for you.

Just my thoughts, but my wife couldn't do without her own language (in this case Chinese as well as English and Dutch)

Good Luck

LaoPo

Thank you, Laopo. It is true that I will need my laptop , in between other uses, to talk to spain via Skype and corresponding with family and friends.

Thank you for your advise,

Cheers,

¡Hola!

I hope you still have this kind of dates at Tuskers or wherever they are to welcome the "poor " new "farangs" :o arriving to Chiang Mai knowing very little about daily live there. I have been in Chiang Mai three or four times but only in a rush and for busineess reasons.

Yes, the newcomers' dinner is still held at Tuskers. And on Tuesdays at 1:00 pm there is a computer club that can help you with any computer questions. Their web site is: http://chiangmai-geeks.phpbb3now.com/index.php

Buy it in the EU..you won't get a fake Windows system on it like I did. ( Thanks Tesco )

Who's stupid enough to buy a computer at Tesco ? :D

ME! :D

What brand was it John ?

SVOA

Not a bad computer,actually pleased with it. Just a fake Windows XP program on it. ( It came with Vista, I'm sure a illegal copy as well, but told 'em to throw the XP program in instead..)

I called and emailed the head office here in Thailand and to the one in the UK.

Never heard back from 'em go figure..

When I contacted Microsoft, all they wanted was the 5k baht to make it "good".

So much for that.

Just call me "Stupid"...

Not the first time in my life.. :o

Not a bad computer,actually pleased with it. Just a fake Windows XP program on it. ( It came with Vista, I'm sure a illegal copy as well, but told 'em to throw the XP program in instead..)

LOL.

SVOA is a proper brand and the Vista copy would have been legal. Then you ask Somchai the TescoSalesDude to put XP on it for you, and, to close the sale, he does so. I don't think you can complain about this one.

All is not lost though, there should be a Microsoft sticker on the computer somewhere; just re-load Vista and use the key printed on it.

Keep this in mind before blaming Tesco or SVOA.

LOL.

SVOA is a proper brand and the Vista copy would have been legal. Then you ask Somchai the TescoSalesDude to put XP on it for you, and, to close the sale, he does so. I don't think you can complain about this one.

All is not lost though, there should be a Microsoft sticker on the computer somewhere; just re-load Vista and use the key printed on it.

SVOA is a decent brand, no complaints there.

Somchai "the sales dude" was not the sales dude but the technician dude. Computer was sold with "either" Vista or XP, of which I chose the latter. Both disc's are illegals by the way..XP & Vista.

Being that it was sold at Tesco, OS installed by a Tesco employee under Tesco supervision, yes indeed I hold Tesco responsible and yes I did have a valid complaint. ( well, then I did ) This was months ago and it was discussed here..

So back to the OP,

Buy it in the EU.

LOL.

¡hI!

¡Very nice arguments from of all you! :D After reading all your commnets I changed my mind and I am close to the idea of buying it here before I live. Anyway , I will keeping on reading what you say.

Thanks , also, for the information about Tuskers evenings for newcomers and for computer afternoons.

Cheers, :o

SVOA is a decent brand, no complaints there.

Somchai "the sales dude" was not the sales dude but the technician dude. Computer was sold with "either" Vista or XP, of which I chose the latter. Both disc's are illegals by the way..XP & Vista.

Being that it was sold at Tesco, OS installed by a Tesco employee under Tesco supervision, yes indeed I hold Tesco responsible and yes I did have a valid complaint. ( well, then I did ) This was months ago and it was discussed here..

So back to the OP,

Buy it in the EU.

LOL.

yes 25 digit code and it must be ok