The Elizabethan Room

Chuckler

Google Maps Link

I went to the Elizabethan Room tonight, while I have a friend visiting Chiang Mai and have the excuse to go out. Personally I would've preferred to go to Duke's again, but my friend was certain there were other restaurants in Chiang Mai.

It's a bit difficult to find, so I've attached a Google maps link above.

view from outside:

post-50336-1221145040_thumb.jpg

rolls, butter and ??sour cream??:

post-50336-1221145005_thumb.jpg

I had the Sheep Herder's Pye:

post-50336-1221144968_thumb.jpg

Table shares vegetables:

post-50336-1221144926_thumb.jpg

My friend had the Roast Pork:

post-50336-1221144866_thumb.jpg

The food was good, if not exceptional - it's just simple food, well prepared. My friend's pork was very gamey, and flavourful. The gravy was beautiful. Peas were minted, and the carrots I think were prepared with pickled ginger and honey. Shepherd's pie was ok.

One question. Is your friend a visitor to Thailand? Or, has he/she been here for a while with a craving for farang food?

Otherwise, you are clearly on the wrong mailing list! To wit, a review posted last week:

The Dining Out Group

Coordinated by Paul Schoenkopf

We had the “Dining Out Group” at The Elizabethan Room. There were 19 reservations but one “no show” that has been removed from the list. Susan, the owner of The Elizabethan Room outdid herself. With just four people, her son and herself in the kitchen and two wait persons serving she did a great job. She also figured out a way from keeping confusion down to a minimum by giving each person a number and had all even numbers on one side of the table and all odd numbers on the other side. There were two tables and there was no confusion. Each number’s order was taken and each got the right order. The checks were also done by the numbers and it worked out perfectly. It was really well done considering it was a large group and only four people working. I must congratulate Susan and her son for a job very well done. The only complaints that I heard was that the roast beef wa tough and too well done and the tomato combination soup wasn’t very good. The portions were huge and there were mashed potatoes, roast potatoes with orange, broccoli au gratin and peas and carrots. There was much too much food. The “lucky” number 13 of the group had his car parked in front of the restaurant and a pick-up truck went by, lost a wheel and it hit his car putting a dent in it. The police came and all the bureaucratic stuff was taken care of. It was just another typical day in Thailand. Other from the accident, it was a great evening.

The next dining out evening will be at Yangze Jiang, owned by the same people as Mai Jiang, only a Cantonese restaurant. Mai Jiang is a Hong Kong style noodle house but much more. This will be at 7:00PM on Thursday, September 18th.

Yangzi Jiang : By Neil Robinson

Yangzi Jiang, a Cantonese restaurant that pleases by variety

Cantonese cuisine is known for the use of fresh ingredients, particularly fresh seafood and a wide range of meats. Spices are commonly used sparingly, and sauces are usually light compared with other Chinese cuisines, in order not to obscure the flavours of the main ingredients. The delicate flavours can be very pleasing, but those accustomed to the more robust flavours of Thai food may find the food a bit bland.

Yangzi Jiang is a bit different. The large menu includes not only traditional dishes, but also some quite spicy ones, particularly on their Cantonese home style menu. I dined there recently with a group of ten people, both Thai and farang. This was my second meal there, since first trying it last month. With a large group, and everyone ordering different dishes, I got to sample some item that I might not otherwise have thought of trying. The inevitable result is that I found a few dishes that seemed to me less successful. More important, I found quite a number that pleased me, and a few new favourite dishes.

Two, in particular, of the dishes stood out as really pleasing everyone - we ended up ordering multiple plates of each. These were the roasted pork neck with honey (140 baht for a small plate, and 280 baht for a generously large plate) and the sauteed string beans with minced pork and XO chili sauce (120 Baht). The roast meat had a good, clear, but not overly strong pork flavour and a fine tender texture. It was served on a bed of what appeared to be lentils, and which were firm enough to be almost crunchy. The string beans, from the Cantonese home style menu, were nice and firm, in an appetizing spicy meat sauce.

Another example of a dish that pleased me was the stewed eggplant, again from the Cantonese home style menu, and again with a spicy minced por sauce (120 baht). A couple of dishes that seemed less successful were the hot and sour soup (85 baht per person), which was not hot enough for my taste, and the Yunnan style sliced chicken (130 baht small, 260 baht large), which I found a bit fatty. One or two dishes really divided opinion. The best example of this was a sour bamboo dish. Some really loved its strong flavour. Others found it not to their taste. We took a vote and the split was exactly 50/50. Tastes obviously vary and the advantage of the variety of dishes offered here is that you can find something to please your particular palate.

I sampled three desserts: lemon sorbet, rum raisin ice cream and a deep fried pancake with banana and mashed dates. Again, I found a couple which I really liked, but one unsuccessful item. The pancake, which I am told is traditiona in Hong Kong, was delicious, sweet, fruity and crispy. I also liked the refreshing sorbet. The rum raisin ice cream, on the other hand, gave the impression of being almost dry, if you can imagine that in an ice cream.

The restaurant building is in an attractive oriental style. I hope you can see how nice it is from the photograph. There is ample parking. We ate in a spacious upstairs room, and were attentively waited on. The cost per person was 440 baht, including water, but not alcoholic drinks. This seemed very reasonable in view of the amount we ordered and the quality of the food. We brought our own wine - another nice thing about Yangzi Jiang is that they are happy for you to do this and do not charge corkage.

Their address is 10 Nimmanhaeminda, Soi 5, within walking distance of the Rincome. Tel: 053 225 313.

I’d like to hear from you on your experience of this restaurant. Please contact me at: < href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected].

Food quality 8

Ambiance 7

Service 8

Value 7

Price $$$$ per person excluding alcohol

One question. Is your friend a visitor to Thailand? Or, has he/she been here for a while with a craving for farang food?

Otherwise, you are clearly on the wrong mailing list! To wit, a review posted last week:

He is a tourist, yes. It is I who have been here for a while with a craving for farang food.

The review you posted talked a lot about the mechanics, not a lot about the food. Susan was not present tonight - just an English guy I presumed to be John and a waitress.

He is a tourist, yes. It is I who have been here for a while with a craving for farang food.

The review you posted talked a lot about the mechanics, not a lot about the food. Susan was not present tonight - just an English guy I presumed to be John and a waitress.

Understand cravings of those who miss bangers and mash!

Oh yes, was that John, the waitress?!

Dining Out Group , once a fortnight alternating between western and Asian food. Between 100 baht and 500 baht per head. For further info: diningoutcnx AT hotmail.com

Info about the fortnightly restaurant venue is emailed, as are the reviews.

The same person emails out a monthly (?) listing of concerts and performances:

Schedule of Performing Arts

This schedule is published on the first and 16th of every month. All entries must be submitted to fasgroup AT hotmail.com by 15th or the last day of the month.

Send me a pm if you can't find the info you need.

You'll find some details in the latest Citylife, too: chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2303

Edited by sylviex

Understand cravings of those who miss bangers and mash!

Oh yes, was that John, the waitress?!

Haha, no John and the waitress were seperate people. :-) The waitress was a TG.

Don't often do this, but like MaeJo man who posted the first great review of this place (and the first positive review of anything he's ever written, methinks) I very strongly recommend it.

The theme is very generous portions of substantial olde English nosh, roasts a speciality. 300b will have you worrying about standing up and altho the drinks prices are reasonable, there is no corkage fee.

They have been closed at a few odd times recently but are now on a stable footing, which is more than I was when I left. They more than deserve our support in these hard times.

Don't often do this, but like MaeJo man who posted the first great review of this place (and the first positive review of anything he's ever written, methinks) I very strongly recommend it.

The theme is very generous portions of substantial olde English nosh, roasts a speciality. 300b will have you worrying about standing up and altho the drinks prices are reasonable, there is no corkage fee.

They have been closed at a few odd times recently but are now on a stable footing, which is more than I was when I left. They more than deserve our support in these hard times.

Well its up for sale so I guess its not doing so good and they are looking to bale out and get what they can back from there investment shame really foods good but its even tougher now with the way things are with tourism here in thailand