Honda Wave

ricklev

I have a Wave with about 15K on it. Took it in for an oil change and they said I should replace the chain and sprocket for 500 baht.

No problem, but I'm curious how often I should change things for good maintenance and safety. The manual in Thai is no help and the service centers can''t be bothered to do things properly.

How long do tires/brakes usually last?

Spark plug?

Air filter?

Anything else that should be done?

Should I just follow the Thai practice of riding it till it breaks?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Edited by ricklev

Should I just follow the Thai practice of riding it till it breaks?

Dpends if you like things breaking down on you. I'd go for changing the spark plug every 10,000km, tyres before they really need it (I don't like punctures) and I'd stick to original for nearly everything (suspension is the exception). I can't tell you how long things will last, maybe check some photos on the net to get an idea. Probably best to stick to Honda servicing

I'm guessing a bit here but a new spark plug, air filter & a valve check every 10,000km. Waves are harder to kickstart than Dreams and a plug/filter greatly improved starting on my wife's old Wave. Tyres and brakes you can do a visual on - for the rear brake look to see that the pointer is within the service marks, if not, new shoes at, I think, 60B. Engine oil change every 5000km. Change the front brake fluid every couple of years and then just if something doesn't feel right, take it to a dealer. I'd recommend a main Honda dealer if at all possible and if you don't speak decent Thai, either point and muddle through or take a Thai mate, your wife/GF/BF to make sure what you want gets done. Great little bikes and I've had some perverse thoughts that if it ever went pear-shaped for me here, I'd seriously consider riding one back to Europe overland on one.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I bought a 125 Wave 3 years ago with 19,000km on it.

Replaced the chain and sprockets - about 500bt. Also did the brakes (front disc, rear drum) - I forget how much, but cheap enough.

I now have 40,000km on it and it runs like a dream (I always wanted to say that - runs like a Dream, but it is a Wave!).

Once had to do the cam - again can't remember how much - but certainly cheap enough - maybe 600 installed...

I also replaced the rims with original Honda rims (I drive on rough roads a lot), and put on the biggest tires they could handle (see this thread -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tire-Question-t189349.html ). Thai mechanics tell me that the IRC tires are better in the rain than Dunlops. And also keep their stickiness longer....

So for putting 20,000km on a used Wave 125 with 19,000km already on it, my total cost (including tune-ups and oil changes has probably been under 5,000bt. Not bad for 3 years.

I get it tuned up regularly, and don't think they have ever changed the spark-plug (except when I first bought it).

It still does 120km/hr, and with the new bigger tires it is solid solid solid. And I do ride it flat out a lot - full acceleration all the time. No smoke or anything.

Oh yes - the only recurring problem has been the forks seem to get a little low on oil (no leaks that I can see), so every service and oil change (about 4,000km) I get them to check the fork oil - costs another 70bt. Then good for 1000's of km more.

Edited by wjmark

Hallo,

just take it to a Honda dealer every 4000km, as recommended by Honda, get a service, and they'll check all that needs doing.

I've done this for the last 6 years on my Wave 100 wonder machine and never had a problem.

It's done 54,000km and I've replaced the chain once, the plug twice, the air filter once. and the brakes a few times. Apart from that, it's been hassle free.

Keep it well maintained and it will go on forever, fingers crossed.

Edited by Soi Sauce

When I was young I fiddled with my bikes all the time and generally had the spark plugs out monthly, cleaned em, checked em and gapped em. 20k was the limit for plugs even if they looked good. Breaker points were common then and they could be stretched to 15k, but most bikes have electronic ignition now which I like big time!

Because I grew up on a farm I had a phobia about fuel filters. On farm we used drum and bulk filled overhead tanks. I checked the filter every month and generally found something!

Do the basics and a Wave would definately give long reliable service as Soi Sauce said! Once a good design always a good design.....just like a Yammie SR500.

Anybody know where in Chiang Mai I would go to get the recommended IRC wider tires?

Thanks!

I think that any little bike shop can get them.

I personally have found two shops that are not too bad - a little shy of Farang though!. Both are on the road that runs directly beside the Honda dealership on Huey Keow road. The first is about 500 meters up on the left with a vertical 'HONDA' sign sticking off the side of it. The second - just keep going on that road and turn right at the only intersection - the shop is the last on on the left - just before Canal road...

Also, I should say that they are not exactly the same tires as the CBR - the CBR tires are tubeless - the Waves' have tubes. But they have the same tread pattern...