Long distance lovies

muay_thai

Having been to LOS 3 times now, I've found

"Girl of Dreams" and started out on a relationship of sorts,

I work full time in England but within a couple of years should

be able to support myself fully in Thailand.

Just wanted to know how other people are finding long distance relationships, if they work out, the pitfalls, generally

any life experiences............

Thanks for you opinions & views. :o

hi muay_thai, From my own experiences I would say that it is nearly impossible to mantain a long ditance relationship in the circumstances you describe. I work for 2-3 months every year & for the rest of that time live with my boyfriend in thailand (he is thai). The time that we spend apart is difficult for both of us, we have to deal with the lack of communication, telephone, sms & email just aren't a subsitution, trust issues, I am working all hours in London & he is running a shop in Samui (holiday destination of too many farang girls looking for fun)! as well as generally feeling lonley & p*ssed off at being apart.

You don't say how long you have known your "dream girl" & how long you have spent together in LOS but if you are serious about her you should probably think about taking an extended holiday to get to know each other & then maybe either packing up & heading off to LOS earlier than you mentioned or at least get her to come to your home for a few months, as you can be sure that a snatched 2 weeks here & there will not do your relationship any favours.

My b/f & I have been together nearly 2 years (living together for most of that time) with a total of 3 months apart & we still go though a period of adjustment that wouldn't be easy to handle if we hadn't already spent so much time together in the past.

I hope this helps you & wish you all the luck with your new girl. :o

Thanks Boo it is difficult I agree!

Your not going to believe how long I knew her & yes you will laugh, last time I went in June I met her the 30th which was my last night before returning to work! I decided I couldn't go so extended my stay till the next flight and stayed 3 more days. I am due back at the end of Sept for 10 days and she's told me she will finish her job so we can spend all the time together, then I'm back 26 Dec - 13 Jan at which point we are trying to apply for a tourist visa for the UK for 3 months.

I'm trying everything I can to ensure we spend a lot of time together. I'm interested to know what work you do and if you just keep coming back to the UK for temporary work and if you

find it easy to pick up work again?

Yeah, I know what you mean about the trust it makes it worse

because she's gorgeous and done modelling work b4, but sometimes if she knows I'm out drinking on a weekend she'll

phone me to check up on me, now that's either a bloody good act or genuine concern !

Hope all goes well with your guy, where you livin in Samui ?

hi, don't worry about how long you've known her, if you think she's the gal for you, then go for it. It sounds like your committed & I hope the visa situation works out, it's good for both of you if she can see where your coming from too. Apparently they are giving visas away fairly easily at the moment so hopefully you wont have any problems. A good link is www.thailand-uk.com if you don't already know it, it's more about english guys with thai wives/g/fs living in UK & is a really good source for visas & such.

My work is soo boring but, here goes, I work for a city investment bank, I have an open contract with the same company & take advantage of their inability to keep good staff by coming back every year & helping them with cleaning up their trading & back office controls  & generally giving a hand where needed. It's a fairly unique situation that I know I'm lucky to have but it's starting to annoy me as a trained monkey could do it! ha ha ha :o

I live in Hua Thanon (the muslim bit) but my b/fs business is in Lamai.

Boring job you think, try being an Accountant still the monies not too bad, just out of interest how much do you need to stay your 9 months in thailand, would £500 a month see you ok and top up as & when with some teaching if i'm in BKK ?

I've been to Lamai and a friend of mine is over there, he's

doing thai boxing from their camp an english guy called

"Alex Dally" can't miss him really bald head and a Dragon tatoo the full length of his left leg, if you see him ask him if he's missing "Buskers !" cheers.

Apparently they are giving visas away fairly easily at the moment so hopefully you wont have any problems.

hi boo, can you elaborate on what you say about giving away visas quite easily at the moment.

i would like to try to get a touist visa for my thai g/f in september when i come but ive heard and read here that they are nearly impossible to get hold of.

i'll check out the website you suggest as well and see if theres any more info there.

hi badgeroi, just from what I've read on the thailand-uk website it seems that the embassy are feeling very generous at the moment with the visitor & fiancee visas, lots of happy guys reporting that their girls have got their visas & fairly painlessly too, apparently there is a realy nice woman working there who is sympathetic, so good luck.

Muay_thai, 500 quid a month, you must be a really big spender! :o  I average about 10k baht per month for personal expenses. After a while the going out all the time gets boring, especcially in a place like samui as the options for farang girls are limited & my most major expense seems to be buying food to cook farang syle at home or plants for the garden. I'll see your boring accountant & raise you one boring samui housewife. ha ha :D

hi badgeroi, just from what I've read on the thailand-uk website it seems that the embassy are feeling very generous at the moment with the visitor & fiancee visas, lots of happy guys reporting that their girls have got their visas & fairly painlessly too, apparently there is a realy nice woman working there who is sympathetic, so good luck.

Muay_thai, 500 quid a month, you must be a really big spender! :D  I average about 10k baht per month for personal expenses. After a while the going out all the time gets boring, especcially in a place like samui as the options for farang girls are limited & my most major expense seems to be buying food to cook farang syle at home or plants for the garden. I'll see your boring accountant & raise you one boring samui housewife. ha ha B)

Boo!

i wonder what kind of visa do you have? and must you go out every 3 months from the country? and do you like to live there?  :o i plan to come and live there some time next year...