Visa Reason

I am over 50 with an adequate income. I was told to get a type O visa and then apply for a retirement visa once I get to Thailand. Reading the application form, I don't seem to have a qualifacation for the O visa, I am not marriad, and don't have a job in Thailand. Any suggestions? thanks

Over 50 and retirement are your qualification. Just tell the Consulate that and they should issue you a single entry O visa that you then extend stay here in Thailand. The other method is the O-A visa which is pre approved one year stay that you obtain in your home country but requires the police check and various other steps. Either method is fine and have their own plus/minus points. In general doing in Thailand has less hiccups as that is the old and known method.

I think I understand the cause of your confusion, not addressed by Lopburi. Look again at the application form. In respect of non-immigrant visa it says these are issued "e.g."for business, marriage, employment "etc" You are an "etc". You use the standard visa application form and give Retirement as the purpose and get 90 days as Lopburi says. If you are applying by post I suggest you explain your intention to obtain a visa extension in Thailand.

If you intend to obtain the O-A visa (12 month) abroad you should be provided with an additional application form and a blank medical certificate which your doctor completes.

You do not say where you reside but I suspect UK. In UK O-A can ONLY be issued in London and cannot be issued through the post.