Farang Proof Chairs

Greenside

Having bought a couple of office chairs from a well known local supplier, I've had nothing but trouble with the build quality which basically comes down to the fact that they're not built for daily use for people over about 50Kgs and depressingly my weight stubbornly remains at 87Kg no matter how much I try to cut down the ice cream portions.

I heard from a couple of people that they'd also had problems of the same nature so after several half cocked solutions here's the do-or-die last resort:

371428093_r3eQu-L.jpg

371428063_e7aUN-L.jpg

371428118_fcRkz-L.jpg

This was one of the 1800 baht(ish) fabric covered office chairs with a variable height and tilt mechanism. Only the tilt part works now but it feels like it might last for a while. The 600 baht one actually lost one of its plastic legs with the castor on it and is pretty much permenently out of commission. This modification cost me about 350 baht by the way.

Anyone have an opinion as to how long you should expect an 1800 baht chair to last under normal use?

Edited by Greenside

Depends what you plan to do on it :D

For normal sitting use, I spose you could expect it to last a bit longer than a 600-baht special, but don't hold your breath. Even that price is budget for an office chair and may be liable to giving around the castor area. I'd certainly expect those upstairs in the front corner of Index to last... go from around 10k up and there's even a few 40k ones there. Reckon they should at least throw in a plastic pig for that amount. :o

Where do you get them UG?

I never saw any when I was shopping. Mind you, it would take a degree of self awareness that I've not yet reached for me to go and buy something called "Fat Guy" - I'm still pretending that I need XXL underware only because I'm here in Thailand where the sizes are so much smaller. That's right, isn't it :o ?

I never saw any when I was shopping. Mind you, it would take a degree of self awareness that I've not yet reached for me to go and buy something called "Fat Guy" - I'm still pretending that I need XXL underware only because I'm here in Thailand where the sizes are so much smaller. That's right, isn't it :o ?

Yeh, that is right, you are doing fine........... as long as you are still 2.5+ meters tall. :D :D

I got a chair about 5 years ago for around 2000 baht and one half of one of its 5 wheels has just started falling off and yes, I put a fat guy 90+ kilos in it.

A place called : ตนานุวัฒน์ on Chang Moi Road and the label says "Taiyo". My staff just told me it was under 3,000 baht, because I can't remember.

I am 5 foot 11 and very fat and it has lasted about 2 years with no problems.

A place called : ตนานุวัฒน์ on Chang Moi Road and the label says "Taiyo". My staff just told me it was under 3,000 baht, because I can't remember.

I am 5 foot 11 and very fat and it has lasted about 2 years with no problems.

I too suffer from the effects of good living, cheap beer and an addiction to Moo-kat-taa.

I went on the same hunt a few months ago looking for a chair that would not collapse under me. Most of the office chairs are not designed to hold people over 50(ish) kilos. I realised this once when I was in an internet cafe with a tiled floor. I plonked myself down on the chair and two of the castors shattered.

I have seen many chairs that feel strong but when I sat leaned back on them I didnt feel that they would last long.

My solution : I bought one of those extremely comfortable massage chairs. They dont have wheels so you cant skate around the office but they have firm support, you can lie back verticially on them ( useful if you want a nap ) and they come in a range of colours. They look kinda nasty but when you are sitting in it no one knows.