Do They Celebrate Vegetarian Festival In Chiang Mai?

Agenda

Yes, of course it is celebrated in Chiang Mai. Many stalls around the city, parads for several days and not just mediums but small, large and extra large too. Definitely bigger than Pattaya because we are much closer to China after all. I really enjoy tha parads and they are nice to let all vegies participate, no discrimination.

Yes, of course it is celebrated in Chiang Mai. Many stalls around the city, parads for several days and not just mediums but small, large and extra large too. Definitely bigger than Pattaya because we are much closer to China after all. I really enjoy tha parads and they are nice to let all vegies participate, no discrimination.

by mediums I meant the guys obsessed by spirits :o

Seems it's "big" in Phuket:

This annual auspicious event is a most colorful and dramatic celebration which takes place during the first nine days of the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar. The 9-day event is usually in late September or early October.

The origin of the festival is unclear. However, it has been passed from generation to generation that it originated in the south-eastern part of China near Fujian Province. The festival was celebrated to make merit and save animals from being killed for food

In Thailand, the most talked - about vegetarian festival is in Southern Province of Phuket where the auspicious ceremony is held in a grand celebration. During the 9-day period, the devout Chinese Buddhists dress in white attire, convert to vegetarians and observe the ten rules in order to purify their minds and bodies.

Besides a strict vegetarian diet and temple offering, some highlights of the 9-day event include incredible acts of self -mortification such as climbing knife - blade ladders, walking on hot coals, a ritual of bridge - crossing and a street - procession in which the mediums in a state of trance have their cheeks pierced and bodies spiked with various types of sharp objects.

The entire atmosphere is full of religious frenzy with the ear - spliting sound of firecrackers and lion dances. In the evening of the last day event, the main road of Phuket Town is turned into a path of din and smoke of firing crackers. All the local residents participate in the event. Visitors to Thailand should not miss an opportunity to visit Phuket during this auspicious event. http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/special_event/vegetarian/

The Happy Cow vegetarian restaurant/health food guide's Chiang Mai page at http://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/

mentions a few places who participate in the "October Chinese vegetarian festival on Taphae road. Free vegetarian food."

Edited by sylviex

by mediums I meant the guys obsessed by spirits :o

Wow, thanks for explaining that. No female mediums, only guys? I am not sure about that because the CM celebration has no discrimination especially for the thrilling self mortification.

spelling is wrong, but I think you can get it if you try not to be sarcastic for a second.

I know it's big in Phuket, thanks.

Female mediums as well.

You're so hard to talk to! Seems you want to joke only.

I was not trying to be sarcastic, really I wasn't.

I thought it might have meant something else.

Never know on this side of the world, something that might be familiar but then again, it is not.

That is why I asked.

Mediums, males and females obsessed by spirits, yes there are many here for celebrations but mostly they are males obsessed by female spirits. Occasionally they get possessed too and that is when the real fun starts with the happy cow, self mortifications and other curious rituals. Not limited to vegetarians but includes meat eaters too.

Bill, yes, it's so funny that you wrote.

I was in Phuket two years ago specially to see Vegetarian Festival. There were lot of parades/processions/demonstrations with mediums - does it make sence for you and sounds understandable? For food I don't care because here in Chiang Mai there is no shortage of vegetarian food. What I'm interested is if here any special festival activities except for giving jay food. Maybe, someone knows it.

The vegetarian festival in Chiang Mai is centred around Kad Luang, and they do have a parade (at least they did last year). I haven't heard much about it yet, but noticed that Tesco have started stocking vegetarian food, and you can now buy vegetarian ma-ma noodles in 7-11 (a shame they only stock it during the vegetarian festival!) Also, some of the vegetarian restaurants get really busy, especially for the first 3-4 days of the 9 day festival. Technically the tradition is to wear all white, and to abstain from eating meat, fish, eggs, garlic and onions (jeh). However, in Chiang Mai at least, the wearing all white doesn't seem to be 'in fashion'. Definitely check out Kad Luang though!