Quiet Beaches Within A Few Hours From Bkk

NguuMuu

Can anyone recommend some quiet, lesser known beaches within a few hours drive from Bangkok? I'm not looking for recommendations like Koh Chang, Koh Samed, or Pattaya as there are already many threads about those places here.

Basically looking for some place quiet, maybe even a bit secluded. There doesn't need to be much around, just somewhere to stay and a decent beach. Hopefully it would be relatively easy to get to with public transportation.

Accomodation should be fairly cheap (I would expect less than 1000 baht if it's not a tourist area) for an adequate room. This may be stretching it a bit, but it would be nice if there was wifi available somewhere in the area.

Any ideas that fit this description?

Can anyone recommend some quiet, lesser known beaches within a few hours drive from Bangkok? I'm not looking for recommendations like Koh Chang, Koh Samed, or Pattaya as there are already many threads about those places here.

Basically looking for some place quiet, maybe even a bit secluded. There doesn't need to be much around, just somewhere to stay and a decent beach. Hopefully it would be relatively easy to get to with public transportation.

Accomodation should be fairly cheap (I would expect less than 1000 baht if it's not a tourist area) for an adequate room. This may be stretching it a bit, but it would be nice if there was wifi available somewhere in the area.

Try (1) Cha-Am: Very Thai, a bit noisy at the weekend but pretty good beaches & lots of cheap Hotels.

(2) Khao Takiab 5 km south of Hua Hin. Good beach, relatively quiet, not sure about cheap hotels but around TB1,500 a night is probably ok.

(3) Dolphin Bay, Nr. Pranburi within(?) Sam Roi Yod National Park. Great clean beach, calm shallow sea, very quiet but I'm not sure about public transport (try a taxi from Pranburi), or hotel prices.

Hope this helps

Rayong would fit the bill you described...beach is as nice as Samet, nice trees right on the beach, normally quite quiet...

Can you give any more specific places along the coast?

Is the water there ok? I've heard it's a bit dirty with all the factories around and that you need to get out further to sea (like samed) for the cleaner water. Really, no idea though.

Just past (30-40Km.) Hua Hin is an Air-Force base sitting on the beach. One used to be able to get one of their bungalows on a literally deserted beach for just a couple of red ones a night. Certainly a no frills experience and I can't even say that they still let us pleobians in there. Might be worth a try though.

AjarnP

Try Ban Krut (Ban Kroot) on the rail line south of Hua Hin. We were down there a couple years back, real quiet.

http://www.ban-krut.com/

Mac

Rayong would fit the bill you described...beach is as nice as Samet, nice trees right on the beach, normally quite quiet...

Is the water there ok? I've heard it's a bit dirty with all the factories around and that you need to get out further to sea (like samed) for the cleaner water. Really, no idea though.

In terms of the water quality, I can only speak of Laem Mae Phim beach, which is where the Novotel is, which is where I stayed...like I said, comparable with Samet and driving there the areas around looked quite nice, so basically I would recommend driving out from Rayong city center towards Laem Mae Phim and see what catches your fancy.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried to find ban-krut on G-earth & G-maps without success.

Can someone give me the lat & longitude please?

cheers

On the bottom of the linked page it says:Note: We spell Ban Krood many different ways so the search engines can find our page. We have seen is transliterated with a combination of all the following. Ban / Baan Krut / Krud / Kruit / Krood.

If you do a search with `Baan Krud` on G.E. You will find it.

Have a look at www.rayongbeach.com

Although this is the website for the V.P. Guesthouse it will give you some idea of

Hat Maerumpung Beach which is a few kilometres on from Rayong. The beach is situated between Rayong and Koh Samet and very pleasant

Went to Rayong - Novotel - a few years ago. The beach is probably OK BUT if the prevailing wind is from the sea it will be very dirty. When we were there, rubbish, plastic and even SYRINGES had washed up on the beach!! No way I would have swum there. However if the breeze is off the land it will be OK.

Koh Samet is OK but overpriced and too crowded, nice beaches tho.

I went to Hua Hin about a month ago (which I thought was pretty horrible, but I hadn't been there for about 5 yrs) but took a drive down the coast to Prachuap (I think the poster mentioning the army camp place was talking about Ao Manao? - very quiet and laid back), and then back along the coast via Sam Roi Yot Park. There's some OK resorts in the area, very quiet etc. However the beaches aren't great for swimming, very shallow and therefore muddy, but if the place you stay at has a pool it would be a great spot. Sam Roi Yot Park is a nice place....catch the train to Hua Hin and hire a car or bike, traffic isn't that bad.