davethailand

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but give me a curry from sparkhill, birmingham UK anyday and it wins hands down

Do they do delivery to Pattaya's darkside? :o

I wish!

I reckon that the best curry that I've ever had came from a Pakistani establishment somewhere out the back side of New St Station in Birmingham. Can't remember the name or the street - it was a 'bring your own bottle' place but the food was out of this world. Never likely to go back I'm afraid!

DM

but give me a curry from sparkhill, birmingham UK anyday and it wins hands down

Do they do delivery to Pattaya's darkside? :o

Maybe that little guy at Fisherman's does delivery to Birmingham :D

I can't let this thread die without another plug for the Fisherman's Rest on the Darkside.

Location please ?

I'm not good at directions but here goes.

Go East up Siam Country Club road and cross "chicken cross roads' and keep going, baring left all the time until you hit Mabprachan Lake. You will pass a number of establishments previously mentioned in this thread, the first being Manneke Pis on the right side of the Road, with a "VJ Land" sign above the MP sign.

Keep going round the lake, and eventually you will come to a junction, where, if you go straight you enter Siam Country Golf Club, but if you turn left you will continue to drive around the lake. You will pass Sammy's Bar, The Magnolias boutique Hotel , The Terrace, Peacocks, and a number of other establishments before seeing a large sign for the Fisherman's on the lake side of the road, with the Fisherman's opposite on the left. You really can't miss it.

All in all, about 20 mins drive from Sukhumvit.

I can't let this thread die without another plug for the Fisherman's Rest on the Darkside.

Location please ?

I'm not good at directions but here goes.

Go East up Siam Country Club road and cross "chicken cross roads' and keep going, baring left all the time until you hit Mabprachan Lake. You will pass a number of establishments previously mentioned in this thread, the first being Manneke Pis on the right side of the Road, with a "VJ Land" sign above the MP sign.

Keep going round the lake, and eventually you will come to a junction, where, if you go straight you enter Siam Country Golf Club, but if you turn left you will continue to drive around the lake. You will pass Sammy's Bar, The Magnolias boutique Hotel , The Terrace, Peacocks, and a number of other establishments before seeing a large sign for the Fisherman's on the lake side of the road, with the Fisherman's opposite on the left. You really can't miss it.

All in all, about 20 mins drive from Sukhumvit.

Sorry, I said I wasn't much good at this - don't know my left from my right.

The Lakeside sign will be on your left, and the Fisherman's will be on your right.

(Unless you missed it, did a U-turn and came back the other way :o )

Pattaya is not a place to go for some decent Indian nosh. It ranges from barely edible to worse than Calcutta prison food, except...

Thank heavens there is The Orangery on the second and third floor of The Avenue.

Every other Indian meal I have had in Pattaya has been a disgrace.

Pattaya is not a place to go for some decent Indian nosh. It ranges from barely edible to worse than Calcutta prison food, except...

Thank heavens there is The Orangery on the second and third floor of The Avenue.

Try 'The Tikka Kitchen' on Soi Bukhaow, opposite Soi Honey Inn and almost opposite the entrance to the Siam Sawasdee Hotel. It is very good and very reasonably priced. It was mentioned on this board, earlier.

Edited by TEFLMike

Try 'The Tikka Kitchen' on Soi Bukhaow, opposite Soi Honey Inn and almost opposite the entrance to the Siam Sawasdee Hotel. It is very good and very reasonably priced. It was mentioned on this board, earlier.

Just had lunch from the Tikka Kitchen.

Everything was freshly prepared and portions were good and prices reasonable.

As noted their Nan breads were excellent also.

Looks like hel_l from the outside but the food is quite good.

A good recommendation then? I have never failed to have a nice, well prepared meal in The Tikka Kitchen.

A good recommendation then? I have never failed to have a nice, well prepared meal in The Tikka Kitchen.

I agree, I have also not yet heard of anyone having a bad meal there. Looks like this place is getting very popular! Ive been there several times now, it seems to get better every time!

Also, The sauces which you get with your popadoms are really,really tasty! Nice fresh salad free too..

Two thumbs up!

I've been by there at 12 for lunch on a couple of days recently and it was closed. Maybe it's like Neeroy's and opens a bit later?

I need 3 meals from a place to know if it is good or not (consistency issue).

But I was pleased with the first meal , particularly that good cuts of chicken breast are used in their tikka and curries and the portions were generous.

They are all utter rubbish.

The absolute worst was the one near View Talay 1 who could not have made it any worse. Threw it all away. If they have moved to Soi Buakhow then ............ !!!

I've had curries in the Fishermans before but am not sure if that was just from the regular menu. Are you saying there is now a dedicated curry house next to it ? The ones at the Fishermans were edible but like packet curries back in the UK, lacking somewhat.

Indian by Nature is over sauced and trying to be too clever. Some dishes very good but others sickly.

As for the delivery services, then the restaurants themselves should be bloody well shot for the shit they send out when their in house meals are ok. The delivery services themselves are good but way way overpriced.

The absolute worst was the one near View Talay 1 who could not have made it any worse. Threw it all away. If they have moved to Soi Buakhow then ............ !!!

I've had curries in the Fishermans before but am not sure if that was just from the regular menu. Are you saying there is now a dedicated curry house next to it ? The ones at the Fishermans were edible but like packet curries back in the UK, lacking somewhat.

Indian by Nature is over sauced and trying to be too clever. Some dishes very good but others sickly.

As for the delivery services, then the restaurants themselves should be bloody well shot for the shit they send out when their in house meals are ok. The delivery services themselves are good but way way overpriced.

Don't sugar coat it, tell it as it is! :o

Ok for my vote for worst, try the small shack inside Jomtien complex. Rotten fish and chicken

covered in yougurt or spices.

As for an OK one - the Pakastan one mentioned before on soi Beocow near Suwasdee hotel is not bad...

Edited by BugJackBaron

The Fisherman's Rest now has a dedicated Indian food outlet - The Tandoori Garden. All part of the same establishment but the Indian side of the operation is managed by a Pakistani family. It has it's own menu and I can assure you that the food bears absolutely no resemblance to a Vesta packet curry. :o Might not be the absolute best you've ever had but hard to beat in this neck of the woods. At the end of the day though, it's all down to personal taste.

DM

The Fisherman's Rest now has a dedicated Indian food outlet - The Tandoori Garden. All part of the same establishment but the Indian side of the operation is managed by a Pakistani family. It has it's own menu and I can assure you that the food bears absolutely no resemblance to a Vesta packet curry. :o Might not be the absolute best you've ever had but hard to beat in this neck of the woods. At the end of the day though, it's all down to personal taste.

DM

Well based on these recommendations I and the wife went here last week. We were the only customers at 8,45 pm

OK so here are the results. Tandoori chicken was pretty goos as was the Chicken Tikka, BUT the much maligned Tikka place in Jomtien Complex ( near the Hideaway) was JUST as good! Same style of service too!!!

The Bombay/Aloo/Gobi was very weak and NOT served with fresh potato. Did not want to finish it!

The Rogan Josh was like lamb stew in curry sauce with NO depth of flavour and tough meat.

The saffron rice had a very strange taste and not what I was used to!

The Mixed raita was also strange but sort of OK.

So, good Tandoori and poor curries, I may go back there but not really sure as I think the Jomtien place is tastier!!!

B

DM

That is good to hear. Another reason to go down there.

Well based on these recommendations I and the wife went here last week. We were the only customers at 8,45 pm

OK so here are the results. Tandoori chicken was pretty goos as was the Chicken Tikka, BUT the much maligned Tikka place in Jomtien Complex ( near the Hideaway) was JUST as good! Same style of service too!!!

The Bombay/Aloo/Gobi was very weak and NOT served with fresh potato. Did not want to finish it!

The Rogan Josh was like lamb stew in curry sauce with NO depth of flavour and tough meat.

So, good Tandoori and poor curries, I may go back there but not really sure as I think the Jomtien place is tastier!!!

B

That is not so good as I'd rather starve to death than go there again (they came from VT1). Still, I'll give it a go.

And another thing, why the hel_l can't these curry house, even the ones owned and run by the indians / bangladeshis, actually make a proper poppadum ? All they sell is those frozen bloody things (I have been into the kitchen of 2 places) like back in the UK. No-one makes them fresh. Even I can do that !

DM

That is good to hear. Another reason to go down there.

B

That is not so good as I'd rather starve to death than go there again (they came from VT1). Still, I'll give it a go.

Im really surprised at the dislike of this place(Jomtien Complex) as every time Ive been there its been pretty tasty! Still I only EVER have Chicken tikka which is as good as Ive had anywhere in Bangkok or Pattaya and Bombay potato which at least tasted like a Uk one but not quite as rich or flavoursome ..........or hot!

You guys must have tried something totally different to have such bad opinions of that place!

B

m really surprised at the dislike of this place(Jomtien Complex) as every time Ive been there its been pretty tasty! Still I only EVER have Chicken tikka which is as good as Ive had anywhere in Bangkok or Pattaya and Bombay potato which at least tasted like a Uk one but not quite as rich or flavoursome ..........or hot!

You guys must have tried something totally different to have such bad opinions of that place!

B

Hmmm. I ate there twice and would be willing to try those items you liked.

I had the fish tandoori (fish pieces, very greasy, not spiced so well), yellow dal (very good and served more spicy as I requested), nan (below average), some kind of lamb curry I forget which though I thought it was boring, way too bland, small portion, and not good.

Give it up guys... If you want a decent curry just go to 'Ahaar' at the top of Soi Post Office.. Or the Madras Durbar just past 'Made in Thailand'' The first is more like an English style ''curry house'' where as the second is more authentically Indian.. Brilliant masala dosai and Southern style curries.. plus great birannis too.. I've tried just about every Indian in town... believe me these are a good as you are gonna get in Thailand.. otherwise it's a trip to Singas, Malaysia or HK.....

m really surprised at the dislike of this place(Jomtien Complex) as every time Ive been there its been pretty tasty! Still I only EVER have Chicken tikka which is as good as Ive had anywhere in Bangkok or Pattaya and Bombay potato which at least tasted like a Uk one but not quite as rich or flavoursome ..........or hot!

B

Hmmm. I ate there twice and would be willing to try those items you liked.

I had the fish tandoori (fish pieces, very greasy, not spiced so well), yellow dal (very good and served more spicy as I requested), nan (below average), some kind of lamb curry I forget which though I thought it was boring, way too bland, small portion, and not good.

Well, yes yourre right on the portions.Smallish indeed, except for the chicken tikka which was plentiful, served very hot and tender meat.Terrific actually

I can certainly imagine the dishes you ordered being exactly as youve described. Bland weak and diminutive!

But the dishes Ive had as above were very good indeed!

Enough tonight on currys as Ive just had a very good seafood pasta at Red Palm. Freshly cooked and very tasty.

Creme Brulee after and now I'm stuffed.

Why hasnt this place been mentioned before?

Its on Soi Kaotolo and very good!

Give it up guys... If you want a decent curry just go to 'Ahaar' at the top of Soi Post Office.. Or the Madras Durbar just past 'Made in Thailand'' The first is more like an English style ''curry house'' where as the second is more authentically Indian.. Brilliant masala dosai and Southern style curries.. plus great birannis too.. I've tried just about every Indian in town... believe me these are a good as you are gonna get in Thailand.. otherwise it's a trip to Singas, Malaysia or HK.....

I agree with you. Those two places are the best Indian I have had in town. I like Durbar better as I prefer Indian Indian, not being a Brit. Its been a few years since I went to Ahaar but I remember the owner then said he had an Indian restaurant in New York City which is kind of interesting.

What I would really, really, really love to see is a restaurant of the quality of Ahaar do a nightly Indian BUFFET perhaps in the 300 baht range that offers a huge variety of curries, tandooris, nans, and condiments. There are the places that do this for 200 B but they aren't anything to get excited about. I don't understand why this concept hasn't taken off here, the quality Indian buffet for lunch and dinner, a huge thing in the US, especially for lunch there, but I think in a resort dinner would be better.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

[

Im really surprised at the dislike of this place(Jomtien Complex) as every time Ive been there its been pretty tasty! Still I only EVER have Chicken tikka which is as good as Ive had anywhere in Bangkok or Pattaya and Bombay potato which at least tasted like a Uk one but not quite as rich or flavoursome ..........or hot!

B

Relating to the thread, my wife and I tried 'Cafe India' in the Jomtien Complex. Perhaps lunch is not their finest hour ?

600 Bht for 2 people w/ no alchohol and the portions were "precious". Taste was OK.

I don't think that we'll be back.

Bought some pork Vindaloo and some chicken Massala, Nan and 2 appetizers at Carrefour, paid less, got more, better taste.

Regards,

my wife and I tried 'Cafe India' in the Jomtien Complex.

Thanks for the report. No surprise at all. However, I think the other people were talking about a completely different Indian restaurant in the complex, the one that has a shack in front to the left of the Hideaway Bar, accross from Poseidon Hotel. Cafe India (I think) is on a completely different soi.

Edited by Jingthing