Naga Fireballs

Ygg

Hi,

I will be in Thailand October and would like to see the Naga fireballs. I know its October 14, but could actually end up being a day late. From what I understand the best place to see them is actually a ways down river from Nong Kai. I am not sure if that is correct. Also, I do not have a room reserved in the area. I am afraid they may be full by now. If anyone could give me more information on this event I would appreciate it a lot.

I am wondering if it would be possable to find a room in a town near by and be able to find transportation to the event. I am also wondering if it would be possable to see this from the Lao side of the river. Maybe stay in Vientiane. If so, any information I can get would help me figure out how to see this.

Thanks

Jay

Hi,

I will be in Thailand October and would like to see the Naga fireballs. I know its October 14, but could actually end up being a day late. From what I understand the best place to see them is actually a ways down river from Nong Kai. I am not sure if that is correct. Also, I do not have a room reserved in the area. I am afraid they may be full by now. If anyone could give me more information on this event I would appreciate it a lot.

I am wondering if it would be possable to find a room in a town near by and be able to find transportation to the event. I am also wondering if it would be possable to see this from the Lao side of the river. Maybe stay in Vientiane. If so, any information I can get would help me figure out how to see this.

Thanks

Jay

I experienced some really large fireballs in Soi Kola the other night...

Replies in bold comments, below....

Hi,

I will be in Thailand October and would like to see the Naga fireballs. I know its October 14, but could actually end up being a day late. From what I understand the best place to see them is actually a ways down river from Nong Kai. I am not sure if that is correct. Yes, that is true. A number of river side temples and villages from 14 to 30 km. just east of Nong Khai are the optimal places for viewing. Also, I do not have a room reserved in the area. Plenty of rooms in Nong Khai available. From there, excursions down the eastbound highway would be easy. I would recommend you Google Mut Mee Guesthouse. I am afraid they may be full by now. Don't know, you'll have to check. If anyone could give me more information on this event I would appreciate it a lot.

I am wondering if it would be possable to find a room in a town near by and be able to find transportation to the event. Renting a car might be the best bet, and provide the most flexibility for you (Khon Kaen and Udon Thani have rentals. You'll need to research to see if any available in Nong Khai) Local van/car AND driver might be the easiest for having someone with a knowledge of the area. I am also wondering if it would be possable to see this from the Lao side of the river. Maybe stay in Vientiane. Yes, you can see the fireballs from the Lao side, but a little more difficult to find your way around. The venues are not as many, and the "organized" viewing areas are less organized. More like on your own. If so, any information I can get would help me figure out how to see this. Be advised that some years you see no fireballs, and other years you may see 300 or more. It's a crap shoot.

Thanks

Jay

Kind of off topic, and I can't offer any info, but I watched a National Geographic piece the other night about myths and mythical creatures of S.E. Asia. Well they covered the Naga and it was quite interesting in the normal N.G. shallow docudrama style. I was particularly waiting to hear what they had to say about the fireballs though.

Nothing, nada, zippo, zilch.

But that's N.G. for you. Ten minute soundbites barely scratching the surface of the subject.

Apologies for going off topic but it p1ssed me off. :o

Went to Phon Pisai a few years back alongwith 300,000 other people. Stayed in a hotel in Udon Thani and drove to Phon Pisai. The traffic was unbelievable both going and leaving.

Spent 5 hours on a dirty mat on the banks of the Mekong and saw .....................zip!!!

Mind you they did have some ornate boats going down the river.