Return Ticket Regulations

There have been several references in the Media

to Ticketless Flights in the Future.

One of the future Cost cutting measures said to be adopted by ALL Airlines.

Ii seems generally accepted that Immigration - for some time

have not enforced the Regulation.

It is rather the Airlines themselves that have insisted on seeing the Return Ticket

for Non Visa Holders - in order to protect themselves for having to bear the Cost of repatriation

of any passengers refused entry and not holding a return / onward ticket.

As it is the Airlines themselves who are now planning Ticketless Flights

how will they protect themselves?

And until it becomes common how will they handle the first Ticketless passengers

who claim to have reservations?

Even if Thailand cancells the Regulation - Airlines will still need protection.

Any Thoughts?

Bill

In most cases, the airline will know that you have a return ticket, because it will be with the same airline.

In other cases, I suspect that you will have to show a confirmation number/reservation number, and the airline can verify your return/ongoing ticket from that....as they can do already.

I understand that all airlines that are IATA members stopped issuing the old style of tickets on 1 July 2008 and have since then issued only electronic tickets. Unless the starting date has been postponed.

--

Maestro

P.S. See this page of the IATA web site:

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/facts_figure...eting.htm"

Target:

100% implementation of e-ticketing worldwide by end May 2008

100% ET delivered on 1 June 2008

OK - I didn't realise it had Happened ALREADY !!! haha

So if I am checking in - onto a flight from Europe or America to Bangkok

without a Visa and with an onward booking to say Hanoi on an Asian Budget Airline ...

Will the Airline in Europe or USA be able to check my onward booking from some booking reference?

Surely an e-ticket is a mere printout that can easily be Tampered with.

My point of posting this ...

Why are we on ThaiVisa continually advising Non Visa travellers to Thailand

they must have a Return or Onward Ticket ? If Tickets no longer exist !!!

Edited by WilliamIV

The ticket still exist, but they are now virtual and no longer printed. As they exist they can be checked.

Not to mention that a lot of countries require carriers to supply passenger lists. Their travel details, inclusing return or single ticket, will be included too.

I had this problem just the other day returning to Hong Kong from Bangkok.

I did not have my flight reference/e-ticket back to the UK on me but as I knew the airline, time and date of the flight they could just check that airlines schedule on their computer at the check in desk. It was two different airlines, Sri Lankan and Emirates. The same applied when i flew into samui from Hong Kong last week with Bangkok air and Emirates.

I did not have my flight reference/e-ticket back to the UK on me but as I knew the airline, time and date of the flight they could just check that airlines schedule on their computer at the check in desk. It was two different airlines, Sri Lankan and Emirates. The same applied when i flew into samui from Hong Kong last week with Bangkok air and Emirates.

Treborz

Could you clarify please ...

Being able to check schedules does not mean that you have a seat booked on those flights.

Were they able to check that you did indeed have bookings?

Were you able to recall / quote your Booking Reference?

Bill

The ticket still exist, but they are now virtual and no longer printed. As they exist they can be checked.

Not to mention that a lot of countries require carriers to supply passenger lists. Their travel details, inclusing return or single ticket, will be included too.

Surely it is Seat Bookings that exist.

The Aim is for Ticketless Travel.

Can bookings on other Airlines be checked from a Check-In Desk?

I thought Passenger Lists could only be drawn up at the time of departure.

I dont think they could serve the purpose we are discussing here.

WilliamIV, did you buy that ticket in Thailand? I am this very moment looking at an electronic ticket issued by “THAI INTL SILOM OFC BKKHT” on 15 FEB 2008 for a return flight Bangkok-Milan-Bangkok.

post-21260-1222123252_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Calling it Ticketless travel is a misnomer since there is always the ability to print out a e-ticket confirmation.

I have traveled on e-tickets for years now. Most airlines now charge up to $25 to get a paper ticket.

Using a record locator number, confirmation number, or what ever they call it and or name and flight number any airline can check that you have a ticket on any other airline. If you look at a confirmed e-ticket print out it has ticket numbers also.

Using the internet I have even built my own itenerary by buying connecting flights from different airlines and upon checking in had my baggage checked all the way through on a trip.

Paper tickets are quickly becoming history (along with travel agnets). Also most airlines now have websites set up to where you can check in and get your boarding pass 24 hours before flight time.

A print out of an e-ticket is now a paper ticket. Always keep a copy in case you need it. One advantage of e-tickets is that you don't have to worry about loosing them. Airlines now email the confirmation to you and you can keep it in your inbox so that if need be you can always print out another copy.

Fraud is not a problem because when you get to the airport the airline is going to confirm the e-ticket by checking it in their computer system and matching names with the ID you have to present at check-in or before boarding the flight.

Immigration will accept an e-ticket print out I am sure they have been seeing them for years now.

Edited by ubonjoe

WilliamIV, did you buy that ticket in Thailand? I am this very moment looking at an electronic ticket issued by "THAI INTL SILOM OFC BKKHT" on 15 FEB 2008 for a return flight Bangkok-Milan-Bangkok.

post-21260-1222123252_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Yes - at Air India Offices in Silom

It is an Air India Ticket for a Thai Flight.

• 1 month later...

Treborz

Could you clarify please ...

Being able to check schedules does not mean that you have a seat booked on those flights.

Were they able to check that you did indeed have bookings?

Were you able to recall / quote your Booking Reference?

Bill

Sorry for delay in reply and this may now be useless information to you but yes they could see from their screen at the check in desk that I was booked on the flight I gave the information for.