Moving To Bankok. Fair Pay For Us Project Manager?

floridaguy

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmmmmmmmmm

if op want to go to los he better take what company offers. im sure lots of thais who could do his job.

This is precisely why his parent company wants to hire him and not a local. If cost was the only issue, they would have, but obviously it isn't.

Sometimes paying a higher salary will save a company more money in the short, medium and long term.

I am considering a job in Bankok with a US company that has a Branch Office in Bankok. The position is Project Manager. This would involve hiring Thai companies to do various jobs at local US plants and factories, such as janitorial services, pest control, lawn service, etc. What should I expect to receive? Does anyone know any US citizens working as Project Managers in Thailand and approximately what they are earning, in US dollars? They are offering a salary that is lower than what I would earn in the same position here in the US, but I know that the cost of living is lower in Thailand.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have been unable to find salary information of this nature anywhere.

You've been offered a job, you say that you have been offered a Salary that is lower than what you would recieve in U.S., then you ask a Forum how much you will earn. :D

How much did they offer you ?

Why on earth they would pay a guy a full expat salary to relocate 13,000 Miles to hire some Janitors, grasscutters and bugkillers beats me. :o

janitorial services ! cost is issue, they want to pay him less........... :o:D

maybe op is of dubous quality. his co cant just fire him but sending him overseas may help!

doesnt it sound strange to send him away and pay him less!

hmm, you sound like my accountant.

That is exactly my concern. I was hoping to save most of my salary. I didn't realize the cost of living in Thailand would be as high as everyone here is suggesting

My average monthly outgoings are around US$4,000 per month inclusive of schooling for 1 child, housing, holidays, running 2 cars and general living expenses, and I don't live in Bangkok where accomodation and schooling are more expensive.

So sayeth our Saudi-based expert on Thai expat packages.

for a "Yarmouth Boy" Bendix you talk a lot of sense are absolutely correct and the "fantasy" packages being quoted are strictly just that. Perhaps GH is correct in his own imagination but for facts then in my company and its associates that employ a very large number of Expats, with many PM's in Oil, Gas and Chemical businesses here in Thailand, than 200 to 300 k per month is the current average with no additional allowances other than medical insurance and annual flights. the days of paying inflated salaries to those with inflated egos are I'm glad to say gone. We are only talking PM's here don't forget not the few highly paid executives. Of course you can always get more if you come on a short term term contract as is the case anywhere in the world and least not forget the posters profession is not in a highly paid sector either.

As you say Bendix it all comes down to how much you want to live here.

Edited by esprit

for a "Yarmouth Boy" Bendix you talk a lot of sense are absolutely correct and the "fantasy" packages being quoted are strictly just that. Perhaps GH is correct in his own imagination but for facts then in my company and its associates that employ a very large number of Expats, with many PM's in Oil, Gas and Chemical businesses here in Thailand, than 200 to 300 k per month is the current average with no additional allowances other than medical insurance and annual flights. the days of paying inflated salaries to those with inflated egos are I'm glad to say gone. We are only talking PM's here don't forget not the few highly paid executives. Of course you can always get more if you come on a short term term contract as is the case anywhere in the world and least not forget the posters profession is not in a highly paid sector either.

Then you're working for the wrong company, I wouldn't get out of bed for that and I'm a long way from being a Project Manager in my company and I'm also the lowest paid Farang in the company.

Not suggesting that at all. He hasnt told us what the offer is, although as he says it's below his US salary he implies it's not that low.

My point is this. He is relatively lucky. I imagine the salary is what I call a local salary +, which seems to be a new band of pay range. We can't just divide salaries into local salaries and GH's definition of expat salaries.

The huge expat salaries are for those roles which CAN'T be filled locally. But there are a range of middle management jobs offered to farangs which COULD be done locally, but for some reason the companies want expats. They will not pay huge salaries and school allowances, but they WILL pay significantly higher than local rates. I have no firm figures on this, but based on experiences in my old company I imagine the role would be paid around 200,000 a month for an expat, a significant premium on the 70-80k a local might expect to earn.

In the end, it's up to the individual. How much does he want to be here?

The offer is $58000 US dollars per year. I haven't really gotten into all the details yet, so I don't know about any allowances, health care, car housing, etc. A project manager in the US usually earns about $61000 US dollars per year. According to Kelly Services, a Thai project manager earns about 720000 Baht per year or about $21000 US dollars per year.

So I guess it does seem like a reasonable offer, but I had hoped for more just for the hassle of uprooting my family to Thailand.

Does $58000 US dollars per year offer a "comfortable" living? By that I mean a nice house or condo in a good, safe part of Bankok, good schools for my kids, a car, and money for recreation, and then some to invest? That salary is just comfortable here in Tampa Florida.

Not enough information Florida. Lot's of shooting from the hip here on both sides of the argument, but it is my view that before anyone can give you any valid advice you need to tell us (and if you don't know, you NEED to know);

1. Will the package be covering your local tax obligation?

2. Is there a cost of living allowance?

3. Is there a private schooling allowance for the kids?

4. Is there a housing allowance?

5. Is there a car allowance (or equivalent)

6. Is there an R&R component (can you go on a local -say 1000 miles radius - vacation on their dollar) and how often do you get home visits - once a year? For all of you?

7. There is an assumption you are being paid in Thailand? Perhaps you are being paid in the US. If so, watch the exchange rate. I came here, paid in the US when you got 41 baht to the US$. It dropped to 31 at one point, a 25% hit.

8. Will you still have obligations in the US (house, for example)?

9. What about Social security? If that is not continued to be paid, you will impact your retirement credits. Unless you cough up the 15% yourself (because you'll have to pay the employers component too).

I could go on and on. But, let's assume your $58k package is net. That translates to about two million baht, or about B165k a month. Decent accommodation to the standard I'm sure you expect will run AT LEAST B40k per month, probably B50k. Schools will run perhaps B20k/month per child and you'll spend at least B15k a month at the supermarket (this is a family guys, not a single person). Utilities (electric/water/cable/internet/phone) will be at least B10k a month and remember you are likely to have to invest upon arrival in bed linen and kitchen utensils at least because your rental will almost certainly not supply them. Then there's perhaps a TV and some sort of music system because you might not get that either. The point is, don't forget the "unexpected" cost of being comfortable to the level you expect for your family). A car will cost you at least B600k, double if you want an SUV (Toyota or the like)though if you have a work permit you'll get it on credit, perhaps another B25k (B50k for an SUV) a month plus B2k a month for car insurance and another B1k a month for renters insurance. So, your monthly outgoings are already B140k+ and you have not hit a bar or restaurant yet. Medical insurance will run you about B50k a year through BUPA, not sure about a family, but bet B100k, or equivalent to another B8k a month. Add to that the money that "trickles" out of your pocket;B2k trickled out of mine yesterday at MBK. Don't forget that trip home; US$6k for a round trip cattle class for four, or the "cheap" vacation to Koh Samet ($1000 cheap).

So, pending your response to the questions I posed, I reckon that with a family and with your (very reasonable) expectations as to your quality of life, if it's a flat (net) US$58k you cannot afford to live here in the manner to which you have become accustomed in Florida. You can do it, but expect to take a step down.

So, now I open the floodgates to the naysayers, but please no B20k a month condos (fleapits) or cheapshit schools or suggestions to use a fan to save on the aircon. I know Bangkok is full of cheap charlie farangs who live on peanuts and look like tramps. I see them every day with the arse hanging out of their trousers (yes, I am a Brit). This is a family guy with very reasonable living standard expectations. Please don't mislead him. We all know the farang who lives in a nice house (B2M) in Nakhon Nowhere and spends only B10k a month and wastes all day swigging Leo and firing a BB gun at scorpions. Not a real comparison though, is it?

As for my "qualifications" I live in Bangkok, I am paid in the US and I make considerably more than our friend but I do have obligations (house, utilities etc) in the US which gobble up US$50k a year. I make $120k in a bad year and I'm broke and I pay no rent here because I own. No, I don't blow it on fancy restaurants or Cowboy or bargirls either. My wife is very reasonable with her spending and we eat at home most nights. I've been subsidizing myself out of savings just to get by. On $58k it is not going to happen for him.

Then you're working for the wrong company, I wouldn't get out of bed for that and I'm a long way from being a Project Manager in my company and I'm also the lowest paid Farang in the company.

Well then I suggest you stay in bed and content yourself with your dreams. As a well established major global company here I suspect that the 300 plus expats we employ are perhaps somewhat more realistic in their aspirations than yourself.

Sounds like someone trying to rationalize why they took the “local” expat package.

Not sure what company you work for (but have some idea), but we tried the “local” expat route, and between the drunks and people selling us out, we gave up.

Ours clients don’t mind paying for it either. They know what they get when they come to us, just like they know what they get when they come to you.

TH

So what would a guy that hires janitors, grasscutters and bugkillers get paid through your company ?

500,000 Baht per Month, Housing Allowance, Schooling, Insurance, Airfares, Driving allowance, Maid, driver etc etc ?

Maybe you can offer the OP a job. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Sounds like someone trying to rationalize why they took the “local” expat package.

Not sure what company you work for (but have some idea), but we tried the “local” expat route, and between the drunks and people selling us out, we gave up.

Ours clients don’t mind paying for it either. They know what they get when they come to us, just like they know what they get when they come to you.

TH

Hmm now let me guess your business - kindergarten perhaps ?

So what would a guy that hires janitors, grasscutters and bugkillers get paid through your company ?

500,000 Baht per Month, Housing Allowance, Schooling, Insurance, Airfares, Driving allowance, Maid, driver etc etc ?

Maybe you can offer the OP a job. :o

Depending on how many factories and subcontractors we are talking about, he could be managing several million dollars worth of contracts. Granted, probably not a lot, but probably still worth a couple hundred thousand a year to a MNC to have someone they can implicitly trust (that’s code for no kickbacks) to manage them.

TH

Not suggesting that at all. He hasnt told us what the offer is, although as he says it's below his US salary he implies it's not that low.

My point is this. He is relatively lucky. I imagine the salary is what I call a local salary +, which seems to be a new band of pay range. We can't just divide salaries into local salaries and GH's definition of expat salaries.

The huge expat salaries are for those roles which CAN'T be filled locally. But there are a range of middle management jobs offered to farangs which COULD be done locally, but for some reason the companies want expats. They will not pay huge salaries and school allowances, but they WILL pay significantly higher than local rates. I have no firm figures on this, but based on experiences in my old company I imagine the role would be paid around 200,000 a month for an expat, a significant premium on the 70-80k a local might expect to earn.

In the end, it's up to the individual. How much does he want to be here?

you make $120, ooo and you are broke. man you need to read some financial planning books. its one thing to make a lot but if you re sknint something is very wrong .

The offer is $58000 US dollars per year. I haven't really gotten into all the details yet, so I don't know about any allowances, health care, car housing, etc. A project manager in the US usually earns about $61000 US dollars per year. According to Kelly Services, a Thai project manager earns about 720000 Baht per year or about $21000 US dollars per year.

So I guess it does seem like a reasonable offer, but I had hoped for more just for the hassle of uprooting my family to Thailand.

Does $58000 US dollars per year offer a "comfortable" living? By that I mean a nice house or condo in a good, safe part of Bankok, good schools for my kids, a car, and money for recreation, and then some to invest? That salary is just comfortable here in Tampa Florida.

Not enough information Florida. Lot's of shooting from the hip here on both sides of the argument, but it is my view that before anyone can give you any valid advice you need to tell us (and if you don't know, you NEED to know);

1. Will the package be covering your local tax obligation?

2. Is there a cost of living allowance?

3. Is there a private schooling allowance for the kids?

4. Is there a housing allowance?

5. Is there a car allowance (or equivalent)

6. Is there an R&R component (can you go on a local -say 1000 miles radius - vacation on their dollar) and how often do you get home visits - once a year? For all of you?

7. There is an assumption you are being paid in Thailand? Perhaps you are being paid in the US. If so, watch the exchange rate. I came here, paid in the US when you got 41 baht to the US$. It dropped to 31 at one point, a 25% hit.

8. Will you still have obligations in the US (house, for example)?

9. What about Social security? If that is not continued to be paid, you will impact your retirement credits. Unless you cough up the 15% yourself (because you'll have to pay the employers component too).

I could go on and on. But, let's assume your $58k package is net. That translates to about two million baht, or about B165k a month. Decent accommodation to the standard I'm sure you expect will run AT LEAST B40k per month, probably B50k. Schools will run perhaps B20k/month per child and you'll spend at least B15k a month at the supermarket (this is a family guys, not a single person). Utilities (electric/water/cable/internet/phone) will be at least B10k a month and remember you are likely to have to invest upon arrival in bed linen and kitchen utensils at least because your rental will almost certainly not supply them. Then there's perhaps a TV and some sort of music system because you might not get that either. The point is, don't forget the "unexpected" cost of being comfortable to the level you expect for your family). A car will cost you at least B600k, double if you want an SUV (Toyota or the like)though if you have a work permit you'll get it on credit, perhaps another B25k (B50k for an SUV) a month plus B2k a month for car insurance and another B1k a month for renters insurance. So, your monthly outgoings are already B140k+ and you have not hit a bar or restaurant yet. Medical insurance will run you about B50k a year through BUPA, not sure about a family, but bet B100k, or equivalent to another B8k a month. Add to that the money that "trickles" out of your pocket;B2k trickled out of mine yesterday at MBK. Don't forget that trip home; US$6k for a round trip cattle class for four, or the "cheap" vacation to Koh Samet ($1000 cheap).

So, pending your response to the questions I posed, I reckon that with a family and with your (very reasonable) expectations as to your quality of life, if it's a flat (net) US$58k you cannot afford to live here in the manner to which you have become accustomed in Florida. You can do it, but expect to take a step down.

So, now I open the floodgates to the naysayers, but please no B20k a month condos (fleapits) or cheapshit schools or suggestions to use a fan to save on the aircon. I know Bangkok is full of cheap charlie farangs who live on peanuts and look like tramps. I see them every day with the arse hanging out of their trousers (yes, I am a Brit). This is a family guy with very reasonable living standard expectations. Please don't mislead him. We all know the farang who lives in a nice house (B2M) in Nakhon Nowhere and spends only B10k a month and wastes all day swigging Leo and firing a BB gun at scorpions. Not a real comparison though, is it?

As for my "qualifications" I live in Bangkok, I am paid in the US and I make considerably more than our friend but I do have obligations (house, utilities etc) in the US which gobble up US$50k a year. I make $120k in a bad year and I'm broke and I pay no rent here because I own. No, I don't blow it on fancy restaurants or Cowboy or bargirls either. My wife is very reasonable with her spending and we eat at home most nights. I've been subsidizing myself out of savings just to get by. On $58k it is not going to happen for him.

I think people think that an expat package is a right. It isn't. It is the free market in action at it's finest. For some positions which (no doubt) can be filled locally or by already Thai-based expats, the trimmings will NOT be offered. Why would they be, when the role can be more easily filled than more senior roles. For other roles which CANNOT be filled easily or which require certain skills only a highflyer in the US or UK can bring, the company will need to bring more to the table to entice them over.

Obvioiusly in this case, the employer does NOT deem it sufficiently important or hard to fill that they feel obligated to offer all the trimmings. If they did, they would. Simple as that.

You can't argue with the logic of free markets.

Going back to the OP's original situation, I certainly would advise against uprooting my family to Thailand for $58000 or whatever the figure was he quoted. It sounds like you're going backwards.

Why bother?

Well then I suggest you stay in bed and content yourself with your dreams. As a well established major global company here I suspect that the 300 plus expats we employ are perhaps somewhat more realistic in their aspirations than yourself.

You work for a company (and its associates) that employs 300 expats in Thailand in the Oil, Gas and Chemical business making 200-300k a month? yeah right. Expats from where? India and Pakistan maybe, but even that I doubt.

Wait I got it. You work for one of those Korean outfits don't you. Which one? Samsung or Lucky Gold Star (oops that's GS now).

:o

TH

Hello planet Earth calling. I don't know what company you work for but I can say we will never meet professionally, or certainly not at those rates. I am just a lowly mechanical engineer not a manager of any kind and have just run through the figures for my current position in VN. Salary plus living allowance equivalent to around 700,000 Baht per month nett, 11 on 2 off rotation with 2000 USD flight allowance (holidays paid), transport provided plus full medical insurance.

So you see, those days my friend haven't gone it's just people like you shunted into a backwater like Bangkok who have lost touch with reality.

LOL....

Now we're gonna have a pissin' contest about who earns the most money. :D

Why not start a new thread, I'm sure you'll get plenty of honest replies. :o

I don’t believe anyone is making this a pissing contest on who make the most money. We are getting a good bit of disbelief from people unfamiliar with the real expat world (or have sold out for job in Thailand)

What we are trying to discuss is what is a fair expat package and how that is worth it to the employer. I still say, if the OP is expected to manage 5 million dollars or more worth of contracts over a couple of years, it is worth 200k (including overhead)a year to pay him to do so to western standards (another code word). Maybe they can get a "local" expat to do so for cheaper, but there is a risk they may not want to take.

It seems to me the OP is completely new to all this and when originally offered the job did not know enough to ask the right questions. If it just the straight salary, and he has no reason, other then the job, to work in Thailand, he should turn it down.

TH

I am just a lowly mechanical engineer not a manager of any kind and have just run through the figures for my current position in VN. Salary plus living allowance equivalent to around 700,000 Baht per month nett, 11 on 2 off rotation with 2000 USD flight allowance (holidays paid), transport provided plus full medical insurance.

How do you manage on that? Don't you find it a bit of a struggle?

I am just a lowly mechanical engineer not a manager of any kind and have just run through the figures for my current position in VN. Salary plus living allowance equivalent to around 700,000 Baht per month nett

So you see, those days my friend haven't gone it's just people like you shunted into a backwater like Bangkok who have lost touch with reality.

We have a bid of 700,000 Baht per month for a Qoute "lowly mechanical engineer ", so it may be fair to assume that a person in a managerial position will be earning 1 Million Baht per month in that same company.

That's good money in any country.

Not compared to what a Professional Footballer can earn at Chelsea, but it's still very good money, 350,000 USD a year, that's much more than a Commercial Airline Pilot earns.

...that's much more than a Commercial Airline Pilot earns.

If you are still comparing high paid jobs to airline pilots, I'm afraid the world has passed you by...

TH

So you would consider an Commercial Airline Pilots job to be low paid ?

I think the world must have certainly passed me by..

I still cannot believe that a company would relocate a Projects Manager to Thailand from US on a fabulous salary + benefits to hire Janitors, grasscutters and bugkillers.

Just don't add up.

Then again, he said the Salary was 58,000 USD a year, and that's considerably less than what an Airline Pilot will earn.

Kinda on Par with what some English Teachers claim to earn in Bangkok.

Anyway, I'll just have to scrape by on 10,000 baht per hour. :D

...that's much more than a Commercial Airline Pilot earns.

If you are still comparing high paid jobs to airline pilots, I'm afraid the world has passed you by...

TH

So you would consider an Commercial Airline Pilots job to be low paid ?

I think the world must have certainly passed me by..

I still cannot believe that a company would relocate a Projects Manager to Thailand from US on a fabulous salary + benefits to hire Janitors, grasscutters and bugkillers.

Just don't add up.

Then again, he said the Salary was 58,000 USD a year, and that's considerably less than what an Airline Pilot will earn.

Kinda on Par with what some English Teachers claim to earn in Bangkok.

Anyway, I'll just have to scrape by on 10,000 baht per hour. :D

Well I hope your clients don't pay you by the hour to be on here. :D

I am considering a job in Bankok with a US company that has a Branch Office in Bankok. The position is Project Manager. This would involve hiring Thai companies to do various jobs at local US plants and factories, such as janitorial services, pest control, lawn service, etc. What should I expect to receive? Does anyone know any US citizens working as Project Managers in Thailand and approximately what they are earning, in US dollars? They are offering a salary that is lower than what I would earn in the same position here in the US, but I know that the cost of living is lower in Thailand.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have been unable to find salary information of this nature anywhere.

Are you SURE they are hiring you to deal with pest control, and lawn service, and stuff that you would have to be 100% proficient in Thai to organize? Because with a translator, there will be a 10 minutes of conversation and you will get a 1-liner for the translation. There is no reason to bring you across the world to organize that kind of work.

That should be red-flag number one.

Did you ask what happened to the person who was doing this job prior to you? Was the person an expat? Did they leave? and why? Perfectly acceptable AMERICAN (for those who might slam me) questions for employers.