Passport With Less 6 Months Left

I am going to Laos in a few days and might spend up the 30 days allowed (optional) but I just remembered that my passport which expires on April 18th 2009 will have less than 6 months left if I were to return to Thailand after Oct 17th (?).

It would less than 6 months by 2 to 3 days.

Would I have a problem at the Thai border?

I am planning to get a new passport in November/December just before I apply for my 1st extension.

I am going to Laos in a few days and might spend up the 30 days allowed (optional) but I just remembered that my passport which expires on April 18th 2009 will have less than 6 months left if I were to return to Thailand after Oct 17th (?).

It would less than 6 months by 2 to 3 days.

Would I have a problem at the Thai border?

I am planning to get a new passport in November/December just before I apply for my 1st extension.

The 6month validity is only required if you plan to apply for a Visa at the Embassy.

I didn't plan on staying the full 30 days, that's why I inserted "(optional)". I just wanted to know my options if I thought it was worth using the full 30 days. There seems to be 2 opinions here.

Will the real answer please stand up. :o

Just so you know, I am not getting a visa. I am just doing a long border run riding around on my bicycle and returning on my existing visa type "O" non-Immigr.

I am Malaysian and my visa has expired for a bout 8 days now, I didn't notice until yesterday. I am very worri because I've been told I need to pay 500baht each day? I have not much money left and I can't afford to pay that much fine, do have any idea so I could reduce the fine? This is my first time overstay in foreign country I am very worry could you please give me some advice? I just want to leave Thailand as soon as possible

Thanks a lot

Kitty9

Edited by Maestro
Deleted unrelated quote - Maestro

I asked an Immigration officer at Mae Sot when I was on a 90 day border run if they would let me back into Thailand with less than 6 months remaining on my passport and they said no. Some may let you back in, others may not. IMO it's not worth the risk.

If you get a new passport it should be dated from the expiry of your old one so you will not 'lose' any time.

I asked an Immigration officer at Mae Sot when I was on a 90 day border run if they would let me back into Thailand with less than 6 months remaining on my passport and they said no. Some may let you back in, others may not. IMO it's not worth the risk.

It is questionable whether the country you are visiting will allow you entry.

Get a new passport asap.

If you get a new passport it should be dated from the expiry of your old one so you will not 'lose' any time.

Not necessarily true.

It depends on the issuing country.