Buying A House

David Jeffers

I wish to purchase a 1 or 2 bedroomed home just north of or in Makham. The family I wish to assist with this live about 80kms north of Makham (Chantaburi).

At present the dwelling they live in is basically just a shelter and one of the kids nees a blood transfusion once a month and has to travel to Chantaburi for this.

I am not a wealthy person but I would like to assist this family in this way.

I understand there is no Real estate agencies this far in the jungle but any suggestions apart from making the trip every weekend myself will be most appreciated

Thanks

David Jeffers

Generally to buy a house in Thailand you find someone with a house and you offer them money. Really, that's the way its usually done. Many people come to Thailand and offer people nylons or chocolate for houses but to the best of my knowledge this method has not succeeded since 1945. If you do not have time to locate houses for sale and wish to hire an agent to do so then you will find that agents can not be obtained with nylons or chocolate either...they'll probably work for 'free' but actually they'' raise the price a little bit (read this as 'as much as they think they can get from the rich foreigner) and make a pittance in this manner.

More seriously. The more people involved in a house sale the higher the price will be....same as anywhere. Its a time vs money issue sometimes. If you can't find houses for sale (try just asking people you know first) and you can't find a real estate agent, then try a bank.

The price can go up substamtially overnight. My wife went to look at some land with her father, I had seen pictures but i stayed away. They found out that she was married to a farang and the price instantly rose 100,000Bt. And we walked away.