If You Were Stuck With Only One Type Of Cuisine For The Rest Of Your Life

Jingthing

What cuisine would you most like to be "stuck" with?  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Indian food without doubt.Love the stuff and could happily live on it everyday.

I am new to Indian food and I am seriously going to eat at an Indian restaurant (already reserved to meet folks) tonight.

What do you recomment, totlanh.

This restaurant has northern and southern. I seriously, do not know what to order.

Well tastes differ obviously so what i like perhaps you wont but if i were you i would go for something mild so perhaps try Rogan Josh(chicken or lamb)or Bhuna.I dont know if the Indians serve Korma in Thailand but if theu do thats a lovely mild dish made with coconut and almonds.If you are having a starter try the Onion Bhaji or a PaKora.Alao try some of the bread essential in my opinion.Ask for a garlic nan if they have it.Enjoy your meal and let me know what you thought.Where are you going?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I voted for italian food,even so, I adore indian food but I could not take a multiple choice

Brought up in Germany lived 30 odd years in Australia I just had to vote for italian food but then again I love all of them,mexican spanish thai indian malaysian chinese and so on.

Thai food is one of my favourites,but the one thing ive noticed after eating it everyday for along time now is that i appreciate chinese food alot more due to its more subtle taste where you can actually taste the flavour in the meat more.For me i dont really enjoy thai food like tom yam,& all the soups/curries unless its spicy & sour.One of my favourite dishes in thailand is now plain old- bami heng moo deng (yellow noodles with marinated pork). :D Usually available for 20 baht from the nearest street stall,& the prachuap night market by the small clock tower has the best i had in thailand from the nice lady thats lacking abit in the teeth department.One night i ate 3 in a row there,one pork,one prawn,one tofu. :o

:o I voted with my tummy, fills you up and very tasty.

Italian all the way, you have the starch in Pasta, the Salamis in meat and then the dairy products in cheese, the veggies in their anti-pasto, oils and vinegars to smooth your pallet.

Was brought up on spuds (potatoes), but after eating Pasta, well, Mama Mia :D , much better than rice any day. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win

Edited by Kan Win

Australian of course ,real tucker like braised rabbit, wallaby rissoles , roasted boned leg of kangaroo , grilled mutton bird (Shearwater) , spit roasted suckling wombat. cooked in the shell abalone , cooked on the coals echidna , bbq lobster .and our NZ connection a hungi ,cooked by a maori..

Plus of course queens pudding ,bread and butter custard and a plate of lamingtons.

Thai food is one of my favourites,but the one thing ive noticed after eating it everyday for along time now is that i appreciate chinese food alot more due to its more subtle taste where you can actually taste the flavour in the meat more.For me i dont really enjoy thai food like tom yam,& all the soups/curries unless its spicy & sour.One of my favourite dishes in thailand is now plain old- bami heng moo deng (yellow noodles with marinated pork). :D Usually available for 20 baht from the nearest street stall,& the prachuap night market by the small clock tower has the best i had in thailand from the nice lady thats lacking abit in the teeth department.One night i ate 3 in a row there,one pork,one prawn,one tofu. :o

Ah yes, Chinese food, like Sichuan, so very subtle!

post-37101-1222345350_thumb.jpg

(About as subtle as this shameless bump ...)

Edited by Jingthing

Ah yes, Chinese food, like Sichuan, so very subtle!

post-37101-1222345350_thumb.jpg

(About as subtle as this shameless bump ...)

I was more thinking from the point of view of stir fries without the chillies or paste,eg cooking with just soy sauce,oyster sauce etc,& not really thinking about any specific region in china,but that dish looks like it could blow your n#ts off. :D

So can i take from this that you didnt experience much "culinary racism" in China as you say you do in Thailand? :D

I was more thinking from the point of view of stir fries without the chillies or paste,eg cooking with just soy sauce,oyster sauce etc,& not really thinking about any specific region in china,but that dish looks like it could blow your n#ts off. smile.gif

So can i take from this that you didnt experience much "culinary racism" in China as you say you do in Thailand?

Most of the Chinese food I have had in my life has been in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would eat it more in Thailand but unfortunately find the standard in Pattaya for Chinese food low, compared to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. The population there (SF) is over half Chinese descent. It is the real deal. Friends from Hong Kong tell me it compares. I have had problems getting authentic Chinese food in the US at some restaurants. At some you aren't even really welcome and there is no English menu at all, but that is rare, but there are plenty of restaurants in Thailand without a Thai language menu and that doesn't make any sense either. You see, the menus are often on wall signs or blackboard signs in Chinese and there is a separate American menu. Because of that you have to be aggressive to learn about the real food. The best ways are to become a regular and convince them you are serious (for example if the dish is supposed to be super spicy you may have a hard time getting it that way), go with people who speak the lingo, and point at dishes on other tables and say bring me that one. It is indeed a common problem, not at all limited to Thailand. One funny thing I have learned in my food adventures, sometimes alot of dishes are on the Chinese only menu for a reason, in other words, almost no Westerner would like it. I had a funny experience my last trip where we got a dish from the Chinese menu described as a massively authentic holiday food, and it looked like dogfood (not dog meat but canned dogfood), smelled like dogfood, and tasted kind of what you would imagine dogfood would taste like. Yes, I ate some of it, it wasn't that bad (kind of like corned beef hash), but never again!

Edited by Jingthing

Trick answer with American/Canadian. There is no such thing as a distinct American or Canadian cuisine. Rather it is a blend of many influences, the product of the different immigrant's own cuisines. The result? Variety and compositions that challenge the pallet. Don't snear. There's the fine shellfish of the east coast, hearty meals that keep yoou warm on a cold day courtesy of the First Nations and early european settlers, the light fish of the northwest, the spicey delights of TexMex, the zing of Southern BBQ, great beef from the midwest, fusion or basics of the central plains and innovations along with asian from the west coast. Why settle for one type when you can have the world :o

That's exactly why I also voted for American/Canadian, Geriatrickid. I think many of the uninitiated might think American/Canadian consists of McDonald's, KFC and Canadian Bacon. Little do they know....

OK, a little OT, but what happened to the Korean buffet at the Pathumwan Princess Hotel at MBK?  It used to be pretty decent with a wide selection of kalbi, bulgogi, dagee bulgogi, dahk bulgogi, etc, nicely grilled over charcoal, and all the assorted kimchis and other dishes.

We went on Wednesday, and the buffet had changed to only a few meat dishes which were no longer grilled but cooked on a hotplate.  We decided to forgoe that and went to the adjoining ala carte restaurant where you could grill at your table, but the quality was a little down and half of the kimchi dishes were one-time shots of miniscule proportions, no refills.

If anyone knows of a Korean grill buffet in BKK, I would love to hear from you.

I would have voted Korean.

But no option.

I loooove Korean food. I never get sick of it.

It's also healthy.

I want to vote Korean, too.

As someone who worked there for 10+ years I can only say that some of it is

healthy and some not so healthy(processed ham and canned tuna rolled with old veggies in rice).

Kim chi, though thought of as healthy by many, has its doubters even by Koreans..

Unfortunately the healthy stuff is usually expensive and ironically is often better overseas

due to the poor quality of Korean meat...( my Korean friends have meade the same comment)

A lot of these choices in general depend on how the food is prepared, quality of ingredients, etc..

Am I the only one who really rates Malaysian food? Is there a limitation as to how far back the food had to be adopted from other cultures? Is 20 years too far? If not then English food wins without a doubt (before you hark on, I am a foodie and have visited over 50 countries in my life) due to the variety and quality (something other "world" cuisine countries can't do...never EVER eat Indian food in the US or Aus...yuck).

Allowing for cultural integration I feel that Malaysian food has it all. With the main influencers being China, India, Thailand and Indonesia you are NEVER short of something different to eat and after all the 2nd best breakfast in the world belongs there (Nasi Lemak doesn't beat the FULL English from England). More so the quality of the representation is high and reproduced across the peninsula.

Never had a dull meal in Malaysia....never....just got fatter :o

It is Indian food for me - I could eat it till the cows come home, Yummy Yummy.

Cows? Indian food? OK.

Good on you, and I am sure the lovers of Arabic food are happy as a pig in a poke.

PG, where do you find the good Indian food in Pattaya? I think the standard here is really poor.

Edited by Jingthing

It is Indian food for me - I could eat it till the cows come home, Yummy Yummy.

Cows? Indian food? OK.

Good on you, and I am sure the lovers of Arabic food are happy as a pig in a poke.

PG, where do you find the good Indian food in Pattaya? I think the standard here is really poor.

The only places i have eaten Indian food in Pattaya are Royal Garden Food court - it was ok, plenty of it. I recently found a nice little Indian restaurent on Soi Bouakow directly opposite the sawasdee Hotel, I prefer this place, the Indian food is quite nice, the service it very good, and they also deliver.. A good menu and the prices are reasonable. The absolute best Indian food I ever tasted was one time I went to Penang for a Visa, We met some Malaysian people and they took us to this horrible place, but the taste of the Indian food was superb. Try the Indian Restaurent on Soi Bouakow, its ok for Pattaya. Making my mouth water now....