This Doesn't Look Very Good! Wasps

JAS21

Below is a picture of a wasp nest on a friend of mines house. Think its wasps anyway, as they are mainly black with a bit of yellow.

They are now starting to get into the house..only one at present actually.

Anyone know who can get rid of these. The house is on the border of Bangkok and Nonthaburi.

Thanks

Edited by John45

I'm assuming that, like most creatures in LOS, these are likely to be a good deal more viscious that any UK counterparts, so professional help could well be the best option.

However,if you are broke or overly adventurous, it was suggested to me recently that I could eliminate a large wasps nest in a tree near my boat by simply leaving a running hosepipe on it until it fell apart and the wasps moved on. (in the end I bought some wasp nest destroyer spray and used that, but it took several applications and from uncomfortably close to).

It looks like you could run a hosepipe over the apex of the roof and rig it to spray the nest from above, but many caveats regarding physical access and the risks of attack apply. :o

Smoke them out - get a long bamboo pole & wrap a lot of coconut coir around the end & light it up. Once all the wasps are gone destroy the nest.

Just be careful not to burn the house down. :o

You or neighbour don't have to do this yourself - put the word out in the neighbourhood & I guarantee you will find a local that knows exactly what to do, slip him a few baht & it will be gone in no time. :D

I have only dealt to wasps in holes around my home in the ground and attached to the house walls etc so please take this as tried and tested but not the safest way to deal to them.

If you are able to pour some petrol into the nest the fumes really piss them off. Maybe poke a petrol soaked rag in there. I know there will be many to talk about the fire risk and you would have to make that judgement call on the heat in Thailand, the material the roof is made of and whether you have a permanent ciggie hanging off your lip.

The fumes do work though

T

Thats trouble waiting to happen!!!!

Don't even think about doing it yourself........call the exterminater man

Yes they called him...many dead wasps all over the village roads..still some in the nest though..nest needs spraying again and again maybe

A word of warning here.

I was stung by two of these wasps last week although they might have looked a little different. They were huge and stung me on my neck and head.

They seemed to go only for the head as i had a hat on and they hit it 7 times before being successful in getting me.

IT really hurt like hel_l for 24 hours and i couldn't even sleep as i couldn't really put my head down on a pillow or anything.

AFter doing some research, i found that these guys can and have even killed people.

AFter experiencing their sting, i wouldn't go near that nest. I'd call someone in, or at the very least, wear some protective clothing or head mask.

good luck.

A word of warning here.

I was stung by two of these wasps last week although they might have looked a little different. They were huge and stung me on my neck and head.

They seemed to go only for the head as i had a hat on and they hit it 7 times before being successful in getting me.

IT really hurt like hel_l for 24 hours and i couldn't even sleep as i couldn't really put my head down on a pillow or anything.

AFter doing some research, i found that these guys can and have even killed people.

AFter experiencing their sting, i wouldn't go near that nest. I'd call someone in, or at the very least, wear some protective clothing or head mask.

good luck.

You know , that was the only real advise. Do not listen to the "DO IT YOURSELF" guys. Get a professional in , that is the only answer. I am leaving on a Golf course with plenty of wasps around. It is very dangerous to do it yourself or let an amateur handle it!

That's a massive colony with enough angry inhabitants to kill you if you provoke them. Even the installation and the use of a power hose or smoker would put one at risk. If you value your health and well being, pay someone to do it.

They're not wasps; they're hornets in common parlance (still members of the same genus -- Vespa -- obviously the origin of the name of those buzzing little scooters). They can be very aggressive if their nests are molested and multiple stings can be fatal. That said, we had a nest in each of the two trees by our gate and could walk in and out without any problem -- perhaps 4 feet from one nest and 8 feet from the other: all was well until the day that my four-year-old son wanted to knock down some mayom fruit from the nearer tree. He was lucky: he was stung only once on the top of his head...it caused a loss of local hair and left a hard lump which persisted for several months. A local chap destroyed one nest that night with fire on a pole and smoked the other before removing it. I got home that night to find his familky removing grubs from the lower part of the nest to make kao pat hornet grub: I still have about 18 inches of the nest.

Anyway, dangerous and not to be fooled about with.

That's a massive colony with enough angry inhabitants to kill you if you provoke them. Even the installation and the use of a power hose or smoker would put one at risk. If you value your health and well being, pay someone to do it.

They're not wasps; they're hornets in common parlance (still members of the same genus -- Vespa -- obviously the origin of the name of those buzzing little scooters). They can be very aggressive if their nests are molested and multiple stings can be fatal. That said, we had a nest in each of the two trees by our gate and could walk in and out without any problem -- perhaps 4 feet from one nest and 8 feet from the other: all was well until the day that my four-year-old son wanted to knock down some mayom fruit from the nearer tree. He was lucky: he was stung only once on the top of his head...it caused a loss of local hair and left a hard lump which persisted for several months. A local chap destroyed one nest that night with fire on a pole and smoked the other before removing it. I got home that night to find his familky removing grubs from the lower part of the nest to make kao pat hornet grub: I still have about 18 inches of the nest.

I feed some monitor lizards (up to 7ft 6" long) that come to my back wall every day (some will climb up a ladder and eat from my hand): I used to just chuck the skinless chicken breast or pork loin (got to watch their cholesterol!) over and a lot used to eaten by Greater Coucals, skinks ...and hornets which used to fly in from 2 different directions. They were happy enough with members of their own colony/nest but squabbles arose when parties arrived at the same time from both directions.

On one occasion, one was crawling on the bathroom floor near my wife's foot, so she carefully moved it to the far side of the bathroom...and was pretty pissed off when it crawled back and stung her on the foot!

post-54981-1222571684_thumb.jpg

I dug this old site up...but unfortunately no photos....

WASPS in Thailand

http://web.archive.org/web/20010729014003/...spine/photo.htm

All true wasps, along with ants and bees, are classified to a group of hymenoptera insects that possessing fully developed stings. The majority of them are solitary and inoffensive. The fully social behavior is the family Vespidae, and the most advance social organization is found in the subfamily Vespinae, which comprising the yellowjackets and hornets.

The term �yellowjacket�, though seems to be of American origin, properly refer to all wasps in the genera Vespula Thomson and Dolichovespula Rohwer ; whereas the term �hornet� is frequently used for the much larger, but closely related, old world wasps in the genus Vespa Linnaeus. They generally are called several named such as To-Hua-Sua, To-Lum, To-Luang, To-Rung, and To-Khuat, but here the are specificially, called "vespine wasps".

Acting of vespine wasps in the enviroment cause some problems not only to man but also other animals. They cause some nuisances by entering our houses and spoiling our food. The campers and foresters often get accidentally disturbing the wasp�s nest which abounds in the ground and in the shrubs and trees. Vespa spp. are very important pest to apiculture by invading the hives and killing great numbers of honey bees. They are of some hazardous to mankind by the fatal effect of their stings.

Despite their role as pest, they are of substantial importance as beneficial insects with efficient searching and capturing abilities. They hunt many flies, aphids, caterpillars for nourishing their youngs. They are themselves acting as pollinators from the flower-frequenting habit. In Thailand, the wasp larvae are used as human food and as baits for fishing.

It should be now recognized, from those mentioned above, that the vespine wasps play dual roles in human environment thus warranting intensive studies conducted on them. First of all, their taxonomic status are still remained in chaos, and the literature on this aspect are exceedingly rare in this country. So the purpose of obtaining baseline data to clearify such problematic condition should be urgently done prior to the thorough studies on their biology and ecology, which can be further utilized for proper management and control.

The main purpose of the present study is to conduct a thorough taxonomic study of Thai vespine wasps, together with their respective information on the biology, ecology, distribution, nest building and general behaviour observed in the field.

Well the 'experts from the council' having killed at least half wanted to come back two days later and set fire to it. I suggested to my friend that that would make quite a mess of the roof and the adjacent wood. Anyway, some guy who said he had 'powers' and his mate went up. basically unprotected and sprayed some different chemical right into the nest..all went quite. Then they cut the nest down bit by bit. Thye said, unfortunately, that as the nest had been poisened then they couldn't eat the eggs etc..apparently some deleciously..all gone now.

I’ve been stung many times by bees, wasps (several at a time), scorpions, stinging ants, and bitten by a tarantula, over the years whilst living on my farm here. I have never suffered an allergic reaction. I experience slight local pain that mostly goes away after 5 minutes – no swelling at all.

I received my first hornet sting a couple of weeks ago whilst walking in the forest adjoining my farm: four large hornets (To-Hua-Sua) stung me on my belly, back and arm. I was delighted to find that even these were no more painful (to me) than other wasp stings. I remained perfectly still immediately below the nest until after the 4th sting, concerned they may not stop. The slight pain subsided after 5 minutes and left no swelling. I have seen family and neighbours swell up monstrously after only one hornet sting.

I was unlucky to be stung at all by the hornets. I disturbed the nest before seeing it just above my head in a tree but immediately froze and then slowly crouched down to the ground. I waited until the buzzing subsided and started to crawl away but I had not realised another tree branch had snagged on me. As I started away, the branch snagged back noisily, causing the hornets to pour out of the nest straight for me.

I’ve destroyed many wasp & hornet nests over the years with normal mosquito/ant spray. I’ve never been stung whilst doing so, even though I am standing immediately beside them and am sometimes not even wearing a shirt. They do not see you unless you move – their eyes act as motion sensors only. They may buzz around you (even your face) whilst doing this but they don’t sting unless you move. That’s my experience anyway.

Below is a picture of a wasp nest on a friend of mines house. Think its wasps anyway, as they are mainly black with a bit of yellow.

They are now starting to get into the house..only one at present actually.

Anyone know who can get rid of these. The house is on the border of Bangkok and Nonthaburi.

Thanks

:o Being American I would probaly call them Yellow Jackets...the term we knew them by where I grew up.

Really they are not dangerous...as long as you leave them alone and don't disturb them.

It looks to me from the picture (but it is a little distant to be sure) as if they are a type of Mud Dubber Wasp, building their nest out of mud.

They will defend their nest agressively if you interfere with it. If they are really "wasps" not "bees" they can sting more than once. A real Bee leaves a sting behind when it stings you, which also contains part of it's lower intestine, causing them to die after they sting.For a Bee, the sting is a last ditch defense,that results in their death. A wasp has a re-useable stinger, and can sting again.

If it's a big nest, you need a professional to get rid of it. They can probaly smoke the nest to put the little buggers to sleep or at least make them quiet. Then they find and remove the queen. The rest of the swarm will either follow the queen, or abandon the nest when the queen is gone. Then you can safely destroy the nest. Make sure you get all the nest, or if the queen or another queen comes back to any piece left and takes up residence, another swarm will rebuild the nest.

But if they are not in a place which is going to bother you, let them be. They are not really agressive unless you get close to the nest. Even if they land on you they usually won't sting unless you panic and they feel threatened by you. They are only out flying around looking for food for themselves and their mates, you know. If you don't look like a flower or a nice sugery pool of necter, they won't really bother you.

Of course, some people are allergic to Bee or Wasps stings, but not everybody. If you're not, why not live and let live?

Edited by IMA_FARANG

"Get a long bamboo pole and smash the thing up".

:o

Looks like this poster doesn't like you very much, do not take this advice. There are different types of hornets here and some I have come across in the south are I think nearlt as dangerous as the dreaded japanese variety. Even if you swipe a single stray one within minutes there are more coming to defend. If you smash the nest and it is an aggressive bunch you will be attacked. The sting is painful (like an electric shock) and some people have very bad reactions.

Get an exterminator.