Voip

scorecard

Would appreciate if some members would please share details of VOIP.

- What exactly is VOIP? (Realize it's some form of voice communication through the internet)

- Can it be used when connection to the ISP is through a mobile?

- Do both parties to the telephone call (VOIP call) need to have any special equipment / subscribe to a special service / subscribe to a special ISP package?

- Any other revelant details

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Just load Skype on your machine and then you can talk, free, to other internet users who also have Skype.

Pay some money into your Skype account and you can use it to call landlines overseas.

All you need is a pair of headphones and a mike.

Lots of stuff online on the subject, but to answer the questions possed.

Can it be used when connection to the ISP is through a mobile?
Yes, if you are using a mobile phone to connect to the internet - and have an application on your computer that allows VOIP connections. I would question if the bandwidth and more importantly end to end response time is quick enough for normal speech - experiment is the solution.

I have played with both Skype and a custom 'point to point' solution that was deleloped for flight SIM gamers, I am not a gamer myself but used to chat to a guy that was seriously into that side of things. Both functioned well enough. Talking to another person on Skype that was using exactly as you suggest, mobile phone GPRS system to connect to the internet at their end suffered serious packet delays and break up of speech from them reaching me, although they heard me clearly.

Do both parties to the telephone call (VOIP call) need to have any special equipment / subscribe to a special service / subscribe to a special ISP package?
Depends if you aim to made 'free' calls - that is you both have Skype installed at both ends - no matter the ISP that either of you use. You can use Skype and other systems to break out of the Internet and route the call to the 'normal' telephone network, ie house, company or mobile cell phone. This can be done from anywhere in the world, but there will be a cost incured by the person originating the call when they step from the internet to the local telephone system.

Example. If you were using a laptop in your car parked in Chicago, USA. You would connect to the internet via AT&T, run Skype and dial my Thai mobile number, Skype would want X US Dollars/Cents a minute to route the call across the internet to some comms center in Bangkok, then route your call to my mobile across the normal telephone network.

You say, "Hi Cuban - turn your computer on!" then end the call on your Skype.

I run my Skype up and click on your icon in my list of contacts - the connection is routed via my ISP to Chicago - AT&T see that you are at the end of a wireless data link and point my incomming Skype data to your computer - it buzzes - you pick up and we are talking - real time - no costs apart from normal ISP monthly fees for the internet connection.

Any other revelant details
I can talk about routing calls around the world so you dial a European number and talk to down town Bangalore if you like - same thing pretty much.

Questions?

Hi Cuban, and the other members who shared some details.

Now I realize what VOIP is - the technical name for the IT stuff which Skype and similar things run on.

I was thinking that it's an alternative to Skype, but now realize that I had that wrong.

Thanks again for sharing, much appreciated.

I use a programme called voipcheap (you can google it to find software) I find that it is cheaper than even skype especially uk to thailand where you are calling mobiles most of the time and not landlines.

Same as skype if you both have programme on pc, no charge at all.

You can also use it to connect your home landline or mobile to the mobile or landline at the other end so you are not stuck at your pc, 2p min for this service. 1p min my pc to thai mobile.

Mike