Bangkok Parks

Bangyai

This is not a list of all Bangkoks parks as there are small ones scattered around the city under expressways etc. This is just a brief list of the bigger parks with a few details of each. Please pad out the list with any addition information or comments you may have regarding each park.If any of the info is wrong feel free to correct.

LUMPHINI PARK : Central. Rama 4 Road . Bangkoks oldest and best known park. Lots of lakes and waterways. The chinese community come here very early in the morning to practice Thai Chi. At night the area around the Rama 4 statue at the corner facing Surawong used to be a place where a few Thai ' ladies ' would hang around looking to meet ' Mr. Right '. :o BTS Accessible

BENCHAKITI PARK : Central . Asoke - Rama 4 road .Used to belong to the Thai Tobacco Monopoly. A newer park around a long lake with a few landscaped areas and an artificail waterfall and stream. Bikes can be hired cheaply if you want to do a few laps of the lake. Almost empty in the daytime but busy in the early evening and at weekends. Was planned to be much bigger by Taksin but plans scrapped after coup.BTS Accessible

BENCHASIRI PARK : Central. Small park on Sukhumvit Road opposite soi 35. Small but pleasant bit of green space on Sukhumvit. Bring your packed lunch and people watch.

BTS accessible.

SANTHIPHAP PARK : North Central. Rathwiti Road near Victory Monument. Another newish Park providing a much needed bit of green space in this busy area. At night used to be another place where young ' ladies ' cluttered up the nearby pavement waiting for more Mr. Rights. There have been several clampdowns though. BTS accessible.

CHATUCHAK PARK : North Central. Long Park fronting Pahonyothin Road in front of the weekend market. Several lakes and waterways but nothing special. BTS Accessible.

QUEEN SIRIKIT PARK : North Central .Nice Landscaped Park behind Chatuchak Market. A bit quieter with a childrens activity centre in the corner opposite the market.

ROT FY PARK :North Central. A much bigger and less formal park to the north of Chatuchak Market and joined to the Queen Sirikit Park. Bikes can be hired here. Over 200 of all types and sizes. Lots of old nails though...choose carefully. On a weekend ...very busy and all bikes are often rented out ! About 4k of paths to pedal around plus numerous lakes. Also, near the adjoining entrance to the Sirikit Park the Butterfly Museum. Near the north entrance to the park is an old steam train plus a couple of old rail coaches. Once again, better midweek to avoid the crowds.

SOMDET PRA SRI NAKARINDA PARK :West Bank of river. Just over the Phra Pok Klao bridge on Thonburi side of river. Small park with a small museum. Peaceful kind of place.

SRI ROM ROYAL GARDEN. : Central Old Town. Sanam Chiti Road . Opposite Wat Racha Bophit. Nice park with a few old buildings, streams and small lakes. Just a short walk down the walls of the Grand Palace from Sanam Luang. There is a direct bus that start from here and runs down Sukhumvit.

ROMMANEEART PARK : End of Chinatown on Mahachai Road. Very nice small park with fountains built on the site of the former Mahachai Prison. The guard towers are still there and are part of the park. At the eastern entrance there is a museum dedicated to the former prison with lots of photos of former punishments. Quiet interesting. Sometimes there are live performances of old time Thai music near the west gate. Not classic...more of the crooner style of the 1930's. Very atmospheric if you are lucky enough to catch one of these free performances. There is also a fitness area with various machines of torture for the fitness freaks..

SANITICHAI PRAKAN : Nearest park to Khao Sahn Road on the river with nice views. This was where the old city wall met the river and the old fort is still there. Small but laid back. Jugglers used to come here to er....play with their balls. Have to be lucky to catch them in action though.

SOOAN LUANG : East of the city. Very big park around the usual lake with lots of artificial streams. May have bikes for hire. Lots of nice flowers grown here. A bus ride out from the centre of the city though. Again...very busy on the weekends.

SOOAN KANCHANAPISEK : West Bank north. In Nonthaburi province but in the part of the city anyway. Just off Nonthaburi Road next to Wat Chalerm Prakeeat . Newish park worth the visit but a bit tricky to find as not marked on older maps. Large frontage onto the Chaophraya river. Lots of classical style buildings and salas scattered around the park, all open with free access. Very good place for midweek picnic and snooze. The usual lakes and streams bisect the park and as it is on the river there are some nice breezes to cool you down a very little bit. Also, loads of the latest excersise machines scattered around the park to build some muscle on. All free of charge. Great park if you make the effort.

SOOAN THONBURI ROM : West bank , Thonburi .A small park off Putabuncha road.

Never been there so can't comment.

SI NAKORN KHUEAN KHAN PARK : In Phra Pradaeng across the river from klong toei docks. Apparently ( not been there yet ) in very rural setting and a world away from the bustle of the city even though it is so near. There are bicycle tours available that take in this park. Check the net . Apparently there is a ferry service that crosses the river from the Klong Toei Dock side if you can find the pier ?

Well, thats it. There are a few other parks that I may have missed if anyone cares to add to the list. Also if anyone can add anything to the sparse outline I have given here please donate generously. Apologies for typing and spelling mistakes, at least its free !

Rama 9 park off Srinakorin (soi alongside Siri Center) is a great park with a path around a lake.

I'm a bit drunk at the moment, but, Google Maps says that it's here: 13.687854, 100.663218 (if that makes any sense to anyone).

post-34730-1222362579_thumb.jpg

Edited by bkkmick

This is not a list of all Bangkoks parks as there are small ones scattered around the city under expressways etc. This is just a brief list of the bigger parks with a few details of each. Please pad out the list with any addition information or comments you may have regarding each park.If any of the info is wrong feel free to correct.

LUMPHINI PARK : Central. Rama 4 Road . Bangkoks oldest and best known park. Lots of lakes and waterways. The chinese community come here very early in the morning to practice Thai Chi. At night the area around the Rama 4 statue at the corner facing Surawong used to be a place where a few Thai ' ladies ' would hang around looking to meet ' Mr. Right '. :o BTS Accessible

BENCHAKITI PARK : Central . Asoke - Rama 4 road .Used to belong to the Thai Tobacco Monopoly. A newer park around a long lake with a few landscaped areas and an artificail waterfall and stream. Bikes can be hired cheaply if you want to do a few laps of the lake. Almost empty in the daytime but busy in the early evening and at weekends. Was planned to be much bigger by Taksin but plans scrapped after coup.BTS Accessible

BENCHASIRI PARK : Central. Small park on Sukhumvit Road opposite soi 35. Small but pleasant bit of green space on Sukhumvit. Bring your packed lunch and people watch.

BTS accessible.

SANTHIPHAP PARK : North Central. Rathwiti Road near Victory Monument. Another newish Park providing a much needed bit of green space in this busy area. At night used to be another place where young ' ladies ' cluttered up the nearby pavement waiting for more Mr. Rights. There have been several clampdowns though. BTS accessible.

CHATUCHAK PARK : North Central. Long Park fronting Pahonyothin Road in front of the weekend market. Several lakes and waterways but nothing special. BTS Accessible.

QUEEN SIRIKIT PARK : North Central .Nice Landscaped Park behind Chatuchak Market. A bit quieter with a childrens activity centre in the corner opposite the market.

ROT FY PARK :North Central. A much bigger and less formal park to the north of Chatuchak Market and joined to the Queen Sirikit Park. Bikes can be hired here. Over 200 of all types and sizes. Lots of old nails though...choose carefully. On a weekend ...very busy and all bikes are often rented out ! About 4k of paths to pedal around plus numerous lakes. Also, near the adjoining entrance to the Sirikit Park the Butterfly Museum. Near the north entrance to the park is an old steam train plus a couple of old rail coaches. Once again, better midweek to avoid the crowds.

SOMDET PRA SRI NAKARINDA PARK :West Bank of river. Just over the Phra Pok Klao bridge on Thonburi side of river. Small park with a small museum. Peaceful kind of place.

SRI ROM ROYAL GARDEN. : Central Old Town. Sanam Chiti Road . Opposite Wat Racha Bophit. Nice park with a few old buildings, streams and small lakes. Just a short walk down the walls of the Grand Palace from Sanam Luang. There is a direct bus that start from here and runs down Sukhumvit.

ROMMANEEART PARK : End of Chinatown on Mahachai Road. Very nice small park with fountains built on the site of the former Mahachai Prison. The guard towers are still there and are part of the park. At the eastern entrance there is a museum dedicated to the former prison with lots of photos of former punishments. Quiet interesting. Sometimes there are live performances of old time Thai music near the west gate. Not classic...more of the crooner style of the 1930's. Very atmospheric if you are lucky enough to catch one of these free performances. There is also a fitness area with various machines of torture for the fitness freaks..

SANITICHAI PRAKAN : Nearest park to Khao Sahn Road on the river with nice views. This was where the old city wall met the river and the old fort is still there. Small but laid back. Jugglers used to come here to er....play with their balls. Have to be lucky to catch them in action though.

SOOAN LUANG : East of the city. Very big park around the usual lake with lots of artificial streams. May have bikes for hire. Lots of nice flowers grown here. A bus ride out from the centre of the city though. Again...very busy on the weekends.

SOOAN KANCHANAPISEK : West Bank north. In Nonthaburi province but in the part of the city anyway. Just off Nonthaburi Road next to Wat Chalerm Prakeeat . Newish park worth the visit but a bit tricky to find as not marked on older maps. Large frontage onto the Chaophraya river. Lots of classical style buildings and salas scattered around the park, all open with free access. Very good place for midweek picnic and snooze. The usual lakes and streams bisect the park and as it is on the river there are some nice breezes to cool you down a very little bit. Also, loads of the latest excersise machines scattered around the park to build some muscle on. All free of charge. Great park if you make the effort.

SOOAN THONBURI ROM : West bank , Thonburi .A small park off Putabuncha road.

Never been there so can't comment.

SI NAKORN KHUEAN KHAN PARK : In Phra Pradaeng across the river from klong toei docks. Apparently ( not been there yet ) in very rural setting and a world away from the bustle of the city even though it is so near. There are bicycle tours available that take in this park. Check the net . Apparently there is a ferry service that crosses the river from the Klong Toei Dock side if you can find the pier ?

Well, thats it. There are a few other parks that I may have missed if anyone cares to add to the list. Also if anyone can add anything to the sparse outline I have given here please donate generously. Apologies for typing and spelling mistakes, at least its free !

Sorry no bikes allowed in Suan Luang only the staff can use them there , I go often free entry before 7 am I think many Thais go for exercise.

That's a great list, thanks.

At Benjasiri, there is a cool little kids' playground with sand, a biger kids' playground with wood-chip, plenty of interesting sculptures, a skateboard lot, takraw/basketball courts.

There's a wee fountain display at (what time)

All the parks I know of are now non-smoking & non-drinking. This is a shame IMHO as we used to love going down to Lumphini on Sundays with friends, the kids and a picnic/wine, but there are so many restictions now it became a pain in the arse.

I used to go to SANTHIPHAP PARK for a run, stop when I figured the air I was breathing would probably shorten my life. But I have never noticed the " At night used to be another place where young ' ladies ' cluttered up the nearby pavement waiting for more Mr. Rights." But Im not very observant.....

Nice little park though with "weight machines" and that pebbled walking thing for your feet.

Thanks for the list, I do miss the green spaces.

Edited by mmushr00m

Nice one :D

BENCHASIRI PARK is spelt Benjasiri I think, there is also a very small green around sukhumvit soi 10, has benches and a sizable lawn and is just nice to get off the street and take a break :D

I like Benjasiri - buy an ice cream, sit and watch the guys playing Takraw - amazing.

Hard luck for the smokers! Nothing worse than breathing in good (relatively) clean air only for some nicotine addict to foul up the air.

Could happily shoot the whistle-crazy car-park guy at the Emporium though. :o

BENCHASIRI PARK is spelt Benjasiri I think, there is also a very small green around sukhumvit soi 10, has benches and a sizable lawn and is just nice to get off the street and take a break :D

The little park you refer to on soi 10 is ' CHUWIT PARK ' named after the massage parlour baron who bulldozed a load of open air bars that were squatting on the vacant plot. He had this park built there instead so clearly is not short of money as this plot is worth a fortune. :o

The little park you refer to on soi 10 is ' CHUWIT PARK ' named after the massage parlour baron who bulldozed a load of open air bars that were squatting on the vacant plot. He had this park built there instead so clearly is not short of money as this plot is worth a fortune. :o

med_gallery_35489_957_9338.jpg

med_gallery_35489_957_250479.jpg

The little park you refer to on soi 10 is ' CHUWIT PARK ' named after the massage parlour baron who bulldozed a load of open air bars that were squatting on the vacant plot. He had this park built there instead so clearly is not short of money as this plot is worth a fortune. :D

med_gallery_35489_957_9338.jpg

med_gallery_35489_957_250479.jpg

Wow.! The day after the night before ! Must have been some party ! He might make an interesting Govourner of Bangkok although he'd have a job squeezing a park into Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy. :o

To the OP, just curious, why are you compiling the list...and where will it end up?

I'm glad you're doing it ...and sharing it here for improvement/corrections.... Some things here I already knew... some are surprises....

About Benjakiti, it adjoins the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, where there also is an MRT station of the same name. The center now has a pretty good sized collection of shops and eateries inside that remain open even when the center is not hosting some big event. So after a day or afternoon at the park, you can go there for a bite or drink.

As for the park, it has a lovely, wide and well-maintained walking/jogging course that goes all the way around the very large lake there. Likewise, there is a narrower but likewise well-maintained bicycle path just outside the walking path that likewise circles the lake. People bring their own bikes or can rent from a small stand in the park near the center for 20 baht per hour. At that stand, you also can rent paddle or oar boats to take out on the lake, which usually has decorative fountains spraying in its midst.

Around the perimeter of the lake and paths, there are many benches for sitting and also some drinking fountains, as well as lawn areas for sitting. This park also is a very short walk from the Asoke BTS and Sukhumvit MRT stations at the corner of Ratchadaphisek and Sukhumvit roads. This park is usually almost empty during the day, but gets busier in the evenings as people go out to exercise after work. Walking, jogging and bicycling seem to be the main activities/attractions here.

The park has sufficient on-site car parking for those wanting to drive there. The main car entrance is off Ratchadaphisek Road, as you head down from Sukhumvit Road. The park also seems to have a well-staffed security patrol on-duty all the time, with officers stationed throughout and sometimes riding around on bicycles. So the park has a very safe and secure feeling.

post-53787-1222451942_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1222452018_thumb.jpg

BTS accessible.

About Benjasiri Park, it is located along Sukhumvit Road halfway between Sois 22 and 24, the latter also being the location of The Emporium shopping center and the BTS Phrom Phong station there. Like Benjakiti Park, it also includes a lake, albeit a smaller one. Very pleasant walking path around the park, but no significant bike path here. More than Benjakiti, Benjasiri has large lawn areas well-covered with older trees, meaning there's more shade to be found for those who like to take a blanket or mat and lay out on the grass. Hidden in the back of the park is a beautiful and large swimming pool that is open by annual membership, which can easily be obtained by paying a very small fee and producing some documents including a doctor's clearance. There are one or two concession stands in the park for buying drinks and snacks, and often, especially in the evening, a bunch of food carts gathered out front along Sukhumvit Road. The park used to have a decorative water fountain show at various times during the day near its front entrance, but not sure if that still is occurring.

post-53787-1222453247_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1222453314_thumb.jpg

To the OP, just curious, why are you compiling the list...and where will it end up?

post-53787-1222451942_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1222452018_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input. I put the list together because I remember that when I lived at the end of Sukhumvit there was no green space to enjoy or ride my bike. When I surfed the net the same 5 or 6 parks kept popping up and it seemed there were few parks to enjoy in the city. Then I got a map book on which more were marked and started checking them out. Sometimes I was pleasantly surprised. Wherever you are in the city it might not always be feasable to travel to Lumphini or Chatuchak. I put the list together so that when people surf the net this site will pop up and hopefully , if people keep adding to it, everyone will be able to find the nearest park to where they live and what to expect when they get there. My favourite park is Kanchanapisek. My gf and I go there every 5 or 6 weeks with a picnic and some books or her knitting and we have the whole place to ourselves and can laze around in a teak sala watching the river flow by. When we leave we build up a sweat on the excercise machines and have a shower at home. A nice cheap day out. :opost-61826-1222496522_thumb.jpg This picture is of SRI ROM ROYAL GARDEN

Edited by Bangyai

Thanks for the input. I put the list together because I remember that when I lived at the end of Sukhumvit there was no green space to enjoy or ride my bike.

Funny you should mention that... as I live around Sukhumvit, and just got my bicycle shipped over from the U.S. as a second year anniversary shipment, and had it arrive at my home here just last week. I'm in longish walking distance of Benjakiti Park, and I've been there enough times to know the bicycle path there is good enough quality and certainly long enough to provide for quite an enjoyable ride.

What's not so great, unless you're carrying your bicycle on a rack on a car, is trying to GET your bicycle to Benjakiti for riding there.... given that the wisdom of trying to ride a bicycle on Sukhumvit or Ratchadaphisek roads is certainly questionable.

So, if anyone else has any good suggestions or good bicycle routes for riding around Central BKK, preferably where you stand a reasonable chance of NOT getting run over and killed, please do chime in... :o

My favourite Sunday morning ride is from Lumphini Park to Benjakiti park by way of the elevated walkway/cycle way from the road junction at the north-east corner of Lumphini park. You can access Benjakiti park from Sukhumvit soi 10 (through the Tobacco Monopoly gates). Then do a few laps around the cycle track (shouting at the stupid farangs who push their baby strollers along the narrow dedicated cycle track) and then return to Lumphini for a few more laps which allows cycling from about 9.30 or 10.00 am. This lets you to get several hours of cycling in with virtually no road traffic to fight.

Haven't done it for a few months though

Is that the one with an entrance on Soi Rang Nam also? If so, not a bad little park for a few laps of running. Too close to busy roads for prolonged relaxing though.

Rama 9 park off Srinakorin (soi alongside Siri Center) is a great park with a path around a lake.

I'm a bit drunk at the moment, but, Google Maps says that it's here: 13.687854, 100.663218 (if that makes any sense to anyone).

This is what he has listed as (horrendous translit) sooan luang

Rama 9 park is easily the nicest I have been to in BKK

This is what he has listed as (horrendous translit) sooan luang

Rama 9 park is easily the nicest I have been to in BKK

Ratchamongkol Hall, King Rama 9 Park:

med_gallery_35489_952_316257.jpg

• 1 month later...

I checked out Kanchanapisek Park this week. It was well worth a visit although you need to have your own transport to get there. Empty during the day but apparently after 4pm gets busy with people coming to use the vast array of exercise equipment. It was flooded in some parts as it is right on the river

At Benjasiri, there is a cool little kids' playground with sand, a biger kids' playground with wood-chip, plenty of interesting

The playgrounds are in terrible state of neglect, outright dangerous. Bigger kids playground has 10cm nails poking from broken structure. Should be repaired or fenced off.

The topic somewhat suggests that Bangkok is a city of parks.

It has 1.5sq meter of green per resident. Paris has 20 sqm.

• 3 months later...