Mislaeding Phuket Gazette Article

LivinginKata

Here is the photo caption from today's Phuket Gazette ...

Unlicensed foreigners in 60% of Patong motorbike accidents bull9262008-6817-1.jpgRENT-A-RISK: Foreigners who have never ridden a motorbike before can rent one for as little as 150 baht a day in Patong, where a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride also costs about 150 baht.

I consider this a most misleading article to many unwary new tourist's to Patong. In my ipinion there is no way that a tuk tuk drive would get off his backside for even 300 baht, most likely more.

I have a sent a letter to Phuket Gazette to retract this statement.

Here is the photo caption from today's Phuket Gazette ...

Unlicensed foreigners in 60% of Patong motorbike accidents bull9262008-6817-1.jpgRENT-A-RISK: Foreigners who have never ridden a motorbike before can rent one for as little as 150 baht a day in Patong, where a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride also costs about 150 baht.

I consider this a most misleading article to many unwary new tourist's to Patong. In my ipinion there is no way that a tuk tuk drive would get off his backside for even 300 baht, most likely more.

I have a sent a letter to Phuket Gazette to retract this statement.

there would be less scooters on the road and therfore less deaths if the tuk tuk cartel did not control transport policy.

I just read the article and it also says that ONLY a Thai motorcycle license will be honored (or something like that)

That's news to me.

I always just show my US drivers license and it has always been accepted.

Article also says it's easy to get one in a day.

I'd like to know more about that if anyone here can tell me how to get one so easily.

I happen to like the Gazette. I know they can't always report all the crimes here. They are restricted by the goverment as to what they can put in the paper and what they cannot. This must be very frustrating for them as there is obviously a lot more crime around Phuket than we read about.

"Local residents have also expressed their concern about some foreign motorcyclists whose reckless riding has tarnished the image of one of the world's top tourist destinations. Some foreigners simply do not even know Thai traffic rules. Many like to ride fast, frightening local people and other foreign tourists seeking a peaceful holiday, the TNA report read.

"They always ride fast and crosscut other cars. I'm so scared I will crash one day," one local resident was quoted as saying."

More interesting quotes from the same article. Apparently it's the evil foreigners on motorbikes that give Patong its tarnished image.

Not the thriving sex industry, corrupt police, tuk tuk mafia, drunk holidaymakers, live sex shows, aggresive salesmen etc.

:o

"Local residents have also expressed their concern about some foreign motorcyclists whose reckless riding has tarnished the image of one of the world's top tourist destinations. Some foreigners simply do not even know Thai traffic rules. Many like to ride fast, frightening local people and other foreign tourists seeking a peaceful holiday, the TNA report read.

"They always ride fast and crosscut other cars. I'm so scared I will crash one day," one local resident was quoted as saying."

:o

Oh, so now it's the foreign motor bike drivers fault. REALLY .... Nothing to do with the Thai drivers with no license, no idea about high way code, cutting corners, 3 or 4 on a bike, kiddie holding the handle bars, and I could go on.. and on... and on. For sure some tourist get drunk and drive, but so do even more Thais.

i found that article to be a piece of rubbish to be honest. placing the blame of 60% of motorbike accidents on unlicensed tourists is, quite frankly, unbelievable. phuket is a big island and many tourists are concentrated in patong and the west coast. what about accidents in other parts of the island? how many thais drive without a licence? just what ARE the rules?

i find it difficult to believe that having a child stand up between your legs whilst you ride, carry an umbrella, chomp on a piece of chicken and send an sms is actually legal - anywhere in the world!

every time i drove over that bloody hill i was cut off by motorcyclists who were weaving in and out of traffic, with no concern for their, or anyone elses, safety. i can honestly say that i never had that problem with a foreigner. perhaps in patong there were a few idiots on big bikes in peak season, but they were few and far between.

yup. that article is still rubbish.

If you read the article properly it is quoting the TNA thus not a Gazette story.

PATONG (TNA, Gazette): The poorly-regulated “motorbike for hire” industry in Patong has contributed to an alarming number of motorcycle accidents in Kathu district, where more than half of the 500 accidents reported to Kathu Police involved unlicensed foreign motorcyclists, the government’s Thai News Agency (TNA) has reported.

If you read the article properly it is quoting the TNA thus not a Gazette story.

PATONG (TNA, Gazette): The poorly-regulated "motorbike for hire" industry in Patong has contributed to an alarming number of motorcycle accidents in Kathu district, where more than half of the 500 accidents reported to Kathu Police involved unlicensed foreign motorcyclists, the government's Thai News Agency (TNA) has reported.

Well, if some of the local drivers reported the collisions instead of taking off, the numbers would be different. I think foreigners are more likely to report an incident and to stick around after the event.

As someone with a grudge against drivers and particularly farangs in the SUVs, I have to acknowledge that the majority of the people that stop for me when I cross a road, slow down when passing me as I walk on my soi or make a concerted effort not to run down animals on the road, are the foreign drivers. Even the toothless farang guy I don't like on my soi, will say "watch it mate" when he passes me on his bike, slowly.

I just read the article and it also says that ONLY a Thai motorcycle license will be honored (or something like that)

That's news to me.

I always shown my Norwegian drivers licence to the MIB...and I`m always surprised that they now what "Førerkort" and "Permis De Conduire" printed on PINK plastic means :o !!

Edited by Yahooka

That's news to me.

I've lost count of the number of times this issue has been raised. I'll answer yet again... Your home license MUST be supported by an International driving licence, else a Thai license is required.

That's the law, yes some police officers let a home license slip past, but on a slow fine day they WILL NOT accept only a home license.

That's news to me.

I've lost count of the number of times this issue has been raised. I'll answer yet again... Your home license MUST be supported by an International driving licence, else a Thai license is required.

That's the law, yes some police officers let a home license slip past, but on a slow fine day they WILL NOT accept only a home license.

I think the Gazette's real intention was to point out what the state-run TNA is disseminating. However, you can still get a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride in Patong if you know how to bargain. I got a ride from the base of Patong Hill all the way into Phuket City for 300 baht a week ago.

Here is TNA's original version:

Phuket unlicensed foreign motorcyclists

PHUKET: -- One of the popular activities for tourists visiting the southern resort island of Phuket is to ride a motorcycle admiring the beautiful landscape. But the leisure pastime of unlicensed foreign motorcyclists sometimes scares local residents, with many accidents occurring. We have more details in this report from Thai News Agency.

This Canadian motorcyclist is showing her motorcycle license when asked by police. She is one of the rare licensed motorcyclists on Phuket island.

Riding a motorcycle is one of the top activities on Phuket for foreign tourists and expatriates. With many motorcycle rental shops, they can easily rent a motorcycle without having a license, as this is not strictly monitored by the authorities

However, more than 500 motorcycle accidents were reported at Phuket’s Katoo ????? district police station in 2007. Surprisingly, more than half of the accidents involved unlicensed foreign motorcyclists.

Pol. Col. Kritsak Songmoonnak, Superintendent, Katoo Police Station said "About 60% of motorcycle accidents are from unlicensed foreign motorcyclists. But there are still a great number of unlicensed foreign motorcyclists that we can’t check the exact number. We can count only when the accidents occur."

Local residents also express their concern over the riding of some foreign motorcyclists, as their reckless riding damages the image of one of the world’s top destinations. Some of the riders don’t know Thai traffic rules. Many like to ride fast and adventurous, frightening local people and other foreign tourists seeking for a peaceful holiday.

A local resident said "They always ride fast and crosscut other cars. I’m so scared I will crash one day."

The Land Transportation Department on Phuket insists tourists and expatriates can ride motorcycles in the kingdom only when they possess a motorcycle license issued by the department.

They can get this by simply handing in their identification documents, work permit or an address guaranteed by the Thai Immigration Office. Then it’s the written and practical tests.

Then application process is done in a day. With the motorcycle license in hand, the rider can enjoy a happy ride around in Phuket and anywhere in Thailand.

-- TNA 2008-09-26

I guess most tourists involved in an accident will report to the police, if only because they hope it will help them claiming something from their travel insurance.

Most locals having an accident won't go to the police. So the numbers are misleading IMO.

I couldnt help but laugh at this report......

Has anyone ridden through Bang Tao on the main road before??? now that is scary!

quite frankly any farang riding a motorbike anywhere on this island is as dumb as a box of rocks.

I would not matter if you were Barry Sheen, you are just an accident waiting to happen,the thais are brought up with bikes, they start riding at under 10 years old and somehow seem to manage there way though the mayhem but us poor westerners just dont.

get a car, rent a car, use tuk tuks,walk but just dont get on a bike.

Has anyone ridden through Bang Tao on the main road before??? now that is scary!

quite frankly any farang riding a motorbike anywhere on this island is as dumb as a box of rocks.

I would not matter if you were Barry Sheen, you are just an accident waiting to happen,the thais are brought up with bikes, they start riding at under 10 years old and somehow seem to manage there way though the mayhem but us poor westerners just dont.

I've been riding my bike here for years, never had a problem. I've seen many Thai's who have driven through the mayhem... being carried off to the local temple.As for tuk tuks, i'd rather walk!

I've been riding my bike here for years, never had a problem. I've seen many Thai's who have driven through the mayhem... being carried off to the local temple.As for tuk tuks, i'd rather walk!

its just a matter of time my friend

its just a matter of time my friend

this is why i love the "phuket" forum, now i'm out it seems everyone wants to be my friend - and it's all down to Hug, bless 'im. :o

Complete crap..

I was rising sub 10 years old.. I ride every day and have done for decades..

Yes you need to ride defensively.. yes you need to adpat to the 'flock of birds' school of motorbike movement.. But theres no reason we dont have the skills to ride here.

Speak for yourself. I've been riding a step-thru motorbike here for over twenty years. Had a total of three accidents, of which only one involved another vehicle (they were on the wrong side of the road and Thai).

B150 for a tuk tuk is available (negotiation) for a very short trip (less than one kilometer). I have had the unfortunate need to have recourse to a tuk tuk twice recently - both times B150. As to the article by TNA (per PG), the statement that a Thai licence is necessary is patently eroneous. As livinginkata noted, one only requires a home licence and IDP. As to the 60% figure, that is also highly suspect, however I have been unable to find actual accident stats on the Web.

. As livinginkata noted, one only requires a home licence and IDP. As to the 60% figure, that is also highly suspect, however I have been unable to find actual accident stats on the Web.

Remember the licence must be a specific motorbike licence and I am not completly certain you can get an IDP for them.

B150 for a tuk tuk is available (negotiation) for a very short trip (less than one kilometer). I have had the unfortunate need to have recourse to a tuk tuk twice recently - both times B150.

You were indeed fortunate to be able to negotiate 150 baht fare. I suspect that would have been a passing by tuk tuk, and not a tuk tuk waiting in a rank. Might take several hours waiting for a fare.... 150 baht, not interested. They are looking for at least 500 baht, especially for a newbie in town.