Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

PP, I think you mean Louis Pasteur... not Al Pasteur...

He was the French microbiologist who invented the method for "pasteurizing" Mexican food so that it doesn't make you sick... :P

Agree on Sunrise; tasteless. Agree on LaMonita - best in Bangkok.

Glad to have Jorge back if it's true. His taquitos are great. His Al Pastuer is great.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by Tacos & Salsa for a second visit on the weekend. I think it's Jorge's best location so far. You might even find a parking spot or two down that soi if you drive. Enjoyed a plate of tacos al pastor and a shot of Corralejo. Friday nights women get the first drink free and discounted drinks the remainder of the night.

There are a few new items on the menu, like tequila salmon steak and tacos campechanos, but his signature dishs alambres and pozole are still there. Also 12 varieties of tortas (Mexican sandwiches).

The upper floor is the place to hang if you like Latin music, nice little sound system, not too loud and Jorge's collection of tunes has got to be the best anywhere in town, if not all of SE Asia.

http://www.tacosandsalsa.com/Home.html

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Was at Los Cabos Friday night.

I truly believe that not only do they have the best Chile Relleno in Thailand, but maybe in all of SE Asia! The Marlin combo is the bomb, had me fueled up for a night on the town (or was it the margaritas and tequila shot.....?..)

Funny though, saw a couple eating hamburgers, struck me as funny to go to a Mexican place and order a burger. That being said, the burgers looked pretty hearty.

Was at Los Cabos Friday night.

I truly believe that not only do they have the best Chile Relleno in Thailand, but maybe in all of SE Asia! The Marlin combo is the bomb, had me fueled up for a night on the town (or was it the margaritas and tequila shot.....?..)

Funny though, saw a couple eating hamburgers, struck me as funny to go to a Mexican place and order a burger. That being said, the burgers looked pretty hearty.

Given that Robb is importing the relleno from the USA.......and that he is the only one who is making chile relleno (to the best of my knowledge), it does not surprise me that people think the chile relleno at Lost Cabos is a good dish.

I just ate at Charley Brown's (soi 11 suk. near Nana station). I tried beef fajita and it was really good! Grilled sirloin (I think), refried beans (good), rice (good), bell peppers (good), cheese (good but small portion), salad (good), salsa (OK and like a very mild picante), another mysterious sauce that was hotter and good, sour cream also good, and I think Danita's brand flour tortillas. All good and much better than the beef fajitas I had at Los Cabos.

It is good that we are getting Mexican-food choices.

Tried Sunrise when I was in Bangkok. I prefer to eat vegetarian and just have to say the tortilla soup was soo good!

It's been 2 weeks and I am still thinking about it!

Yum!

Sunrise Tacos aside, I wish Tacos and Salsa would open for lunch. Now they do not open until 3:00 (or so they state).

About one month ago, I went there for "lunch" at around 11:30 and was told they do not open until 3:00. So, two weeks later I went back at 3:00 and it was closed!

Too bad because both times I wanted to try beef fajitas......probably the most expensive item on the menu.

I guess the owner, Jorge, wants to target the "dinner crowd" along with "take-outs." If it works, it works.......what can I say except I prefer lunch in Bangkok because of the horrible traffic around dinner time.

As a Scotsman, I guess my opinion on Mexican food probably isn't that weighty, but having tried Coyote and now (tonight), Tacos and Salsa, i will go to Coyote every time. Service is better, food tastes better and margaritas are better. It is a shame as I chatted to Jorge and he seemed like a top bloke, i guess i just prefer 'less mexican' mexican food! ;)

The best thing about Coyote is the selection and quality of their margaritas.... more than 75 varieties on the menu, and their daily BOGO special from 4-7 pm and again from 10 pm to midnight (and longer on weekends). So essentially their 200 baht or so margies go for 100 baht each during the special times.... And they're quite good...

Unfortunately, despite it being a "Mexican" restaurant, the English comprehension capability of their staff seems to be quite limited...based on more than a few encounters of this... A week or so ago, I ordered a Kiwi fruit margarita from them and received a drink that tasted quite nice but didn't really taste or look like Kiwi... Later when my bill came, I discovered to my surprise that Coyote has a margarita called the "Queen Bee." Really!!!

Might even order it again sometime... :lol:

The best thing about Coyote is the selection and quality of their margaritas.... more than 75 varieties on the menu, and their daily BOGO special from 4-7 pm and again from 10 pm to midnight (and longer on weekends). So essentially their 200 baht or so margies go for 100 baht each during the special times.... And they're quite good...

Unfortunately, despite it being a "Mexican" restaurant, the English comprehension capability of their staff seems to be quite limited...based on more than a few encounters of this... A week or so ago, I ordered a Kiwi fruit margarita from them and received a drink that tasted quite nice but didn't really taste or look like Kiwi... Later when my bill came, I discovered to my surprise that Coyote has a margarita called the "Queen Bee." Really!!!

Have ever eaten the beef fajitas at Coyote or heard anything about the fajitas there. Where can I get the absolute best beef fajitas in Thailand? Thanks.

Have ever eaten the beef fajitas at Coyote or heard anything about the fajitas there. Where can I get the absolute best beef fajitas in Thailand? Thanks.

You did say Thailand. All others come in second.

http://www.miguels-cafe.com/

PP, I think you mean Louis Pasteur... not Al Pasteur...

He was the French microbiologist who invented the method for "pasteurizing" Mexican food so that it doesn't make you sick... :P

Agree on Sunrise; tasteless. Agree on LaMonita - best in Bangkok.

Glad to have Jorge back if it's true. His taquitos are great. His Al Pastuer is great.

Thank you for correcting my spelling mistake. I mostluy know English - not so much Mexican.

According to this T&S is open everyday for lunch.

http://www.tiktoktha...tacos-and-salsa

Saturday night buffet & Sunday night Bar B Q (hope I spelled that right).

It is not open for lunch (as of about Feb. 10). Closed in the morning, at lunch and does not open until 3:00 pm.......but I was there at 3:00 pm and it was closed.....so, some person, other than me, needs to confirm it by going there.

Took wifey for the buffet last night at T&S. Food was excellent. Service I would rate 3 out of 5. The food is really really good. For 300 baht you can gorge on guacamole, corn chips & tacitos Al Pastor. YUM. Thank you Jorge. Wifey had Chicken Caesar salad which she said was excellent.

Edited by powderpuff

And you've eaten in all the Mexican restaurants in Thailand? Best in Chiang Mai for sure. Doesn't compare to Barrio on Ko Chang or at least three out of six in Bangkok. But when in CM, great choice.

And you've eaten in all the Mexican restaurants in Thailand? Best in Chiang Mai for sure. Doesn't compare to Barrio on Ko Chang or at least three out of six in Bangkok. But when in CM, great choice.

Here we go again............. :whistling:

Hi Spoilarama: I get this feeling like you may actually be very familiar with Mexican food (far more than 99% of the posters here). I wonder if you can take the time to rank all (or maybe the top ten in your view) of the Mexican food places in Thailand (not only Bangkok) from, say, 1-10 (one being best and 10 being worst). Also, if you can, include the city location because some of us don't know where they are. Thanks.

Drum roll please :)

This thread is about Bangkok. Thanks

I believe that letting people know how the Mexican restaurants in Bangkok rank in comparison to others outside of Bangkok is a topic that is (at least in part) about Bangkok. We already talked about the places in Bangkok. Some of us would like to know how the Mexican restaurants in Bangkok compare to those in Thailand outside of Bangkok.

This thread is about Bangkok. Thanks

I believe that letting people know how the Mexican restaurants in Bangkok rank in comparison to others outside of Bangkok is a topic that is (at least in part) about Bangkok. We already talked about the places in Bangkok. Some of us would like to know how the Mexican restaurants in Bangkok compare to those in Thailand outside of Bangkok.

Then I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate geographical location. Personally I dont care what the best mexican is in CM, Phuket or Issan and I sure as hell dont care how it compares to the ones we have in bangkok - unless of course chefsxp / food by phone etc can deliver from those places to my home in Bangkok in under an hour. :lol:

As usual, a lot of poseurs posting about Mexican food here and many know nada about it.

PS, it is not gourmet nosh, more like comfort food.

And Bourbon Street in Washington Square does it about as good in Bangkok as anyone. The Tuesday night 295 Baht buffet is one of the best bargains in Bangkok regardless of cuisine.

As usual, a lot of poseurs posting about Mexican food here and many know nada about it.

PS, it is not gourmet nosh, more like comfort food.

And Bourbon Street in Washington Square does it about as good in Bangkok as anyone. The Tuesday night 295 Baht buffet is one of the best bargains in Bangkok regardless of cuisine.

so you are saying 295 baht is good regardless of how bad a food is? :lol:

If we were discussing "Best All You Can Eat Buffet in BKK" then surely Bourbon Street would be right up near the top of the list. Pricewise for sure.

I can eat 295 worth of brownies & homemade vanilla ice cream alone. :)

Then add in Cajun style shrimp. Yum. Salad bar. Gumbo. What's not to like?

Edited by powderpuff

A bit off topic, but Bourbon St. is one of my absolute favorites in Bkk. Spicy barbequed shrimps with blackened spaghetti, and a decent bottle of red!

Kilkenny is good as well... :licklips:

There are a lot of things to like about the Bourbon St. restaurant, and its "Mexican" buffet certainly is a good value in that one can stuff one's self silly with decent food that approximates Mexican food for a very reasonable price.

That said, Bourbon Street's offering is a kind of a vague version of Mexican food... close in some respects, far off in many others. In the latter category, just start with the pot of melted Cheese Whiz stuff that's on offer as a kind of nachos topping, then head for what seems like the bowl of store-bought bland tomato sauce/salsa, and it will make you appreciate the quality and caliber of some of the other Mexican offerings available in town.

There are a lot of things to like about the Bourbon St. restaurant, and its "Mexican" buffet certainly is a good value in that one can stuff one's self silly with decent food that approximates Mexican food for a very reasonable price.

That said, Bourbon Street's offering is a kind of a vague version of Mexican food... close in some respects, far off in many others. In the latter category, just start with the pot of melted Cheese Whiz stuff that's on offer as a kind of nachos topping, then head for what seems like the bowl of store-bought bland tomato sauce/salsa, and it will make you appreciate the quality and caliber of some of the other Mexican offerings available in town.

Thanks for that jfchandler, I was about to ask when this buffet happens, but the "Cheese Whiz stuff" certainly is not Mexican food. If I head for Bourbon Street, I'll stick to Cajun.

For the poster who wrote most of the people here are "poseurs" I guess I fall in the 1% having actually spent time in Mexico (as well as Central America), and grew up with Mexican friends whose Mom's made top notch handmade everything. MMMMM..........tamales.......

Also, I love looking at this thread strictly to get a chuckle out of the pasteur pun, that is awesome.