Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

Hi guys, just want to let you know that we don't serve any more the Saturdays' buffet, instead we offering ALL you can EAT a la carte for 350 B

every Saturday form 10 am till close,

Every day buy 2 get 1 free on all beers, tequilas, margaritas and Sangrias

In the meantime please be patient or come early, some times we have to many costumers that we can handle, thank you for your understanding.

By the way, today i am going to Los Cabos to congratulate Howard and try his food, may be later i will do the same for La Monita

Salud !

Jorge B

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion. From this point forward lets enlarge this thread to include all Mexican restaurants in Thailand, not just Bangkok.

Most of us are interested in all of Thailand and not simply Bangkok. Start another thread that enlarges the focus to all Mexican restaurants in Thailand? That would make sense. But we just tried and it was removed immediately.

I think many of us would be nice to see reviews of restaurants (civilized and honest reviews) with pictures of the food (important) and pictures of the restaurant (with the permission of the owners, of course).

It would be nice if a free discussion can take place, one that includes owners of restaurants (they should have the right to respond to positive and negative information and questions posed to them in a way that does not amount to an unpaid advertisement), customers, and potential entrepreneurs thinking about opening a Mexican restaurant or Taqueria in Thailand.

I will not take part in the discussion.

Hello Mexican food lovers !!

Looking forward to our La Monita review coming up this week ... will post you all soon. !! ( read all the posts and most seem happy enough )

Also, our Los Cabos should be included in that post.

We have eaten at every Mexican restaurant in Bangkok.

Senor Pico - Good food overall but this is a bit expensive & caters for more upmarket dining.

Tacos & Salsa - Not to bad although we found the beef & food generally is quite bland although it may be alot better now from what I have heard.

Sunrise - This reminds me of what we called ' Taco Bell ' ' cafeteria' type food. Our team didn't think this as our higher rating, it's kinda like a fast food joint. But many do like the food.

Coyotee's - Atmosphere great , looks and feels like a good restaurant. Food is quite tasty ..the beef is good. Both Sukhumvit & Convent serve good mexican.

Charlie Browns - I'm not sure where car number plates on the wall fit into mexican food. But I remember when this place first opened we went many times as there Nachos were so huge !! shredded beef . good cheese & sour cream ( thick ). It rated very good.

Bourbon St - For a Mexican buffet this place scored quite well on our ratings. The food is always fresh and there is a good variety.

Larrys Dive - The food was ok , but it is not in the league of our top three.

There have also been others we travelled to that have come and gone !

there use to be one over in Silom years ago named ' fiesta ' or similar that was quite good. Also one down the back of soi 23 called Maria .

Good Mexican food -

Fresh corn chips

Shredded beef

Thick sour cream

Tasty Salsa

Include taquitos in the menu

Authentic tacos - using lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, beef or chicken

Hot Jalepinoes

Also offer Tabasco sauce or similar

A reasonably good quality cheese always fresh and spreads well.

Corona of course.

Atmosphere plays a big part in where our group eat & if the surroundings compliment the type of food then thats a big plus.

Cheers, :)

More authentic Mexican food is what I want to see. Real tortilla chips and homemade tortillas. For supersize-me American-style Mexican joints with sour cream we already have Coyote and Charlie Browns.

My rankings in descending order:

Tacos & Salsa - Most authentic, best tortillas, best guacamole, tacos de alambres very good, love the chilaquiles (only place that has them on the menu), tostadas de tinga (ditto) tamales the best, good salsas, cheery atmo. Avoid the fajitas recently added to the menu in an attempt to please gringo palates. Order alambres instead, closer to fajitas most gringos know. Not too expensive (but wish it were cheaper).

La Monita - An A for effort, trying hard and coming the second closest to real Mexican food. Don't like the tortilla chips or the salsas all that much, badly in need of a salsa fresca. Nice variety on the menu though it's mostly Mexican fast food (no main dishes on offer like at T&S). Moderately expensive.

Sunrise - I like almost everything here, eps the salsas and the chiles rellenos (which are nothing like the real thing by more like 'tamale pie', super tasty though) very much American style. The branch at Siam Paragon is usually better IMO than the original Soi 12 branch but the latter has the advantage of being open 24 hrs (the only Mexican restaurant in Thailand that is open 24/7). Expensive.

Senor Pico's - American/Thai style Mexican but some dishes are very good and the atmo is fun, only place with live Latin music. Expensive.

Coyote - Huge portions, but nothing impressive. American chain restaurant atmo. Very expensive.

Charlie Browns - Only as a last resort. Nothing tastes very fresh, beans are awful. On the bright side, good service and they have tables outdoors. Expensive.

The only Mexican resto in Bkk I haven't tried yet is Los Cabos, will accomplish that next week.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Tacos & Salsa - Most authentic, best tortillas, best guacamole, tacos de alambres very good, love the chilaquiles (only place that has them on the menu), tostadas de tinga (ditto) tamales the best, good salsas, cheery atmo. Avoid the fajitas recently added to the menu in an attempt to please gringo palates. Order alambres instead, closer to fajitas most gringos know. Not too expensive (but wish it were cheaper).

I wish somebody would post pics of the "alambres" at this place. I understand it is some type of Mexican beef dish (I do like good fajitas,grilled and not tough).

I have no idea what chilaquiles are (Googled it and still don't know). Pics, pics, pics with explanations of what is on the plate.

Thanks.

I wish somebody would post pics of the "alambres" at this place. I understand it is some type of Mexican beef dish (I do like good fajitas,grilled and not tough).

I have no idea what chilaquiles are (Googled it and still don't know). Pics, pics, pics with explanations of what is on the plate.

Thanks.

Guess you're not really from Texas if you've never seen chilaquiles or alambres! At any rate they are explained elsewhere in the forum, do a search, Tejas.

Just a reminder so that we can stay on topic: As stated, many of us would like to see reviews of Mexican restaurants in Thailand (not just Bangkok) with pics. We want to see pics of the actual food at the Mexican restaurants in Thailand and not from Google. Thanks.

Just a reminder so that we can stay on topic: As stated, many of us would like to see reviews of Mexican restaurants in Thailand (not just Bangkok) with pics. We want to see pics of the actual food at the Mexican restaurants in Thailand and not from Google. Thanks.

Who said anything about Google? Search this forum, plenty of pics and explanations.

• 2 weeks later...

Given this comment by a monitor on TV:

One mexican restaurant review thread is enough, thanks

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Mexican-Food...ok-t215213.html

And associated new policy to move stuff about Bangkok to the Bangkok forum, stuff about Pattaya to Pattaya forum, etc., this worn out thread should be closed so that we can open a new thread here on Mexican Food in Thailand (broad category).

I have tried many So-called Mexican Restaurants and found them all lacking in anything that could qualify as being Mexican food!

In my estimation, being Mexican from Mexico, the best place for Mexican food is from my kitchen in Thailand, Pit Barbacoa, Chorizo - home made, fijoles refritos (pintos), tortilla de Harina home made daily, Chile Rellenos, Tacos de pollo, pork , and beef barbacoa ect.

I do not need to dream or go around looking for someone to open a decent restaurant, I get mine in my own Kitchen !

Make your own, made for your own taste! No sour cream !

Cheers: :)

Edited by kikoman

Can you tell us how you are making corn tortillas using ingredients found in Thailand? By that, I don't mean going to Foodland and buying Masa Harina.

I just had yet another conversation with foreigners who love Mexican food, are surrounded by corn fields, but can't find dried corn or corn meal or masa harina (live out in the country).

Is it possible to make it using just ground corn? What I and others are looking for a a simple method. The actual methods seems complicated, soaking it it some type of hydrated lime solution, etc.

If off topic, just send me a private post or post it on that other thread about making Mexican food at home.

Thanks.

I have tried many So-called Mexican Restaurants and found them all lacking in anything that could qualify as being Mexican food!

In my estimation, being Mexican from Mexico, the best place for Mexican food is from my kitchen in Thailand, Pit Barbacoa, Chorizo - home made, fijoles refritos (pintos), tortilla de Harina home made daily, Chile Rellenos, Tacos de pollo, pork , and beef barbacoa ect.

I do not need to dream or go around looking for someone to open a decent restaurant, I get mine in my own Kitchen !

Make your own, made for your own taste! No sour cream !

Cheers: :)

Have you tried the 3 new ones on Sukumvit that everyone is raving about? Most of us do not know how to make good Mexican food.

After a visit last night I am gonna have to remove Chralie Brown's from my recommended list. Me & the tall guy met there for dinner last night. Building has been remodelled. Menus are the place mats.

The staff seem to be well trained although the 3 on duty were not sufficient.

While waiting for JFC I ordered chili relenos as a starter. A nice bowl of freshly fried corn chips & salsa arrived. I also ordered a side of guacamole. When I went in the place was nearly deserted but it quickly started to fill up.

JFC joined & ordered some food - Nachos Grande with the shredded beef. My relenos arrived & we dug in. I think JFC gave it about a 1 on a scale of 10. I though it was good but not authentic. It was not fried in batter.

The guac was ok.

My order arrived a CB platter. They have amazing serving platters - rather like sizzling Korean beef. Despite that my food was ICE cold. I ate some of it & the side eof rice. I asked the server if my order was supposed to come with refried beans ? Yes supposed to. OK go find me some. Sent the platter back. Beans arrived in a bowl steaming hot out of the microwave. Platter came back & I finished it off.

I think JFC was ready to award them 2 stars out of 5.

So I have to remove this place off my list & I would rank La Monita #1 Tacos & Salsa #2 Los Cabos #3

Edited by bazmlb

After a visit last night I am gonna have to remove Chralie Brown's from my recommended list. Me & the tall guy met there for dinner last night. Building has been remodelled. Menus are the place mats.

The staff seem to be well trained although the 3 on duty were not sufficient.

While waiting for JFC I ordered chili relenos as a starter. A nice bowl of freshly fried corn chips & salsa arrived. I also ordered a side of guacamole. When I went in the place was nearly deserted but it quickly started to fill up.

JFC joined & ordered some food - Nachos Grande with the shredded beef. My relenos arrived & we dug in. I think JFC gave it about a 1 on a scale of 10. I though it was good but not authentic. It was not fried in batter.

The guac was ok.

My order arrived a CB platter. They have amazing serving platters - rather like sizzling Korean beef. Despite that my food was ICE cold. I ate some of it & the side eof rice. I asked the server if my order was supposed to come with refried beans ? Yes supposed to. OK go find me some. Sent the platter back. Beans arrived in a bowl steaming hot out of the microwave. Platter came back & I finished it off.

I think JFC was ready to award them 2 stars out of 5.

So I have to remove this place off my list & I would rank La Monita #1 Tacos & Salsa #2 Los Cabos #3

Is that you Onnut? with a different name :)

Thanks for the review.

Last night ordered Los Cabos from Chefsxp.

Too lazy to write a full review but suitably impressed with both services. Food was good albeit needed warming up but that is usually the case with delivery.

Spent 1076 baht and still full this morning. :D

Thanks for the review.

Too lazy to write a full review but suitably impressed with both services. Food was good albeit needed warming up but that is usually the case with delivery.

Funny, I almost did the same thing, but thought I'd better order something the family would be sure to eat so ordered Boon Ton Kiat Singaporean instead :D

Would be interested in hearing what you ate and how it was after delivery...

Thanks for the review.

Funny, I almost did the same thing, but thought I'd better order something the family would be sure to eat so ordered Boon Ton Kiat Singaporean instead :D

Would be interested in hearing what you ate and how it was after delivery...

Had the following:

Baked Oysters Los Cabos: 240 Baht

Corn Chips and 3 salsas: 80 Baht

Fiesta Platter: 695 Baht

Delivery 60 baht

includ - Half rack pork ribs, margherita chicken, shrimp skewers, grilled corn, mini beef tacos, asparagus, mex rice and spicy fries.

Baked oysters required a lil reheating and re-assembling (due to the motorbike bump ride I guess). Very tasty

Corn Chips and salsa: grade a corn chips, salsas good, spicy one very good

in the platter all was good but needed reheating. Good spicing, blend of flavors. Each was distinct.

Will try again eat in next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday a friend and I went to La Monita's for lunch; I was very impressed! Everything was cooked perfectly. I just wish they did delivery(although, I brought some food home and it was definitely much better when it was just cooked in the restaurant, but that's expected). Can't wait to go again.

jfchandler and I went today... he had already ordered the chips with 4 salsas - all of them delicious, and normally I don't even care for salsas... I had a carne asada burrito without rice and beans but with extra fresh salsa and guacamole, very nice, just a bit small, and a carnitas taco which was ok.

Guacamole is pretty good but there's the occasional chunk which is a bit chewy, presumably because local avocados are being used, but the taste is very nice.

Certainly the most authentic as far as LA-style Mexican food, and delicious to boot. And I'm sure it's only gonna get better...

Went to La Monita last week with a friend. Was a bit tough to find back in that plaza but once we got there (lunch time) the place was pretty full. There are only about 5 tables (maybe 20ish seats total?), so I suppose it gets pretty packed at that time and maybe dinner too. Nice enough atmosphere for a simple tacqueria. We had to wait a few minutes til someone could clean off the table from the people before us and then we sat down.

We ordered the cheese fries (forgot the menu name), a chicken burrito, and a torta. Was hoping to get the cheese fries first but everything came at the same time. Oh well, we dealt with it.. :) I felt a bit bad for the owner who seemed to pretty much be working by himself that day. Hopefully its not like that every day. It can be hard to keep staff, especially when just starting out as a small business. The cheese fries were good, although not mind-blowing. My friend and I split the burrito and torta in half and each had part of each. The burrito was good and easy to eat as it was wrapped in tin-foil. It had all the fillings I liked and was pretty tasty. The torta, which is something I haven't had since I was last in mexico was a big surpirse. Very tasty and something taht I would definately order again. They should get on chefsxp or fbp so that I can, because its not likely that I'll be making it back to the restaurant very often as it would require a special trip rather than being a place I would go to hang out and sit with friends, etc..or even just a stop on the way to somewhere else.

All in all I think the food was quite good and he should do well PROVIDED that he offers some sort of delivery option as I think most will feel the same as me about the location. Prices OK, not cheap, but not real expensive either. More expensive than Sunrise, but a much better value IMHO and much cheaper and better food than Coyote. For me, I am much more likely to go somewhere I can either stay and hang out for a couple hours (with or without a group of friends) or is conveniently located for pick-up (or delivery).

Mexican food tastes best with beer, margaritas, and friends so if I am going out to eat Mexican, for now the first choice is Los Cabos. They have the best mix of food, ambience, atmosphere, and location for me plus they have a great happy hour. I also happen to love fish tacos, fajitas, beef ribs, and margaritas all of which they do very well. La Monita will more likely be a once in a while visit (probably lunch time) when I happen to be in that area.

For me, my top three are:

1. Los Cabos

2. La Monita

3. Still waiting (but if I had to choose I'd say hmmmm... Coyote on ladies night or Senor Picos)

• 6 months later...

tried Los Cabos- stale cold tortilla chips served with ok guacamole... combo platter I got later had a very good enchilada and tamale- filling and sufficient oily cheesiness like tex-mex back home.. however the hardshell taco had dry shredded chicken and again a stale shell. All in all, I might go back just for their baked goods, but it wasn't worth the 1000 baht + price for two.

Will have to try La Monita, it may well be the best.

The problem I think is the people making the food obviously don't have any idea what it's supposed to taste like, and probably can't understand why we like it (I've found lots of Thai to be very finicky eaters, won't try anything new etc)... so they just concoct it on the fly and forget little but important details like heating the tortillas. I also think the owners make the futile attempt at "authentic" Mexican food, which they shouldn't because the proper ingredients just aren't here- a fresh Baja taco with fresh central valley tomatoes, san diego avocados, and salinas lettuce can taste divine without any seasoning just on their own merits, but if you try to mimic it in Thailand with moldy Isaan vegetables it's just not gonna work... the owners of these places need to stick to baked goods with good cheese.

• 3 months later...

Just had a Facebook exchange with one of the owners of La Monita, wherein I had asked about two things:

1. When, if ever, will they begin accepting bank cards for payment? Answer was, they're now accepting bank cards for bills of 500 baht or greater.

2. When, if ever, will they begin doing home delivery service? Answer was, "we will make it happen the soonest probably with ChefXP."

Re delivery, been hearing that latter notion for many months now, with no result. But at least they're still working on it...