Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

Grumpy, I've eaten BS's Mexican buffet, and kind of enjoyed it, and would go again.... But just not expect authentic preparations in some respects.... Just enjoy it for the bargain that it is. Tuesday nights... 295+ baht...

post-53787-0-08595200-1298690432_thumb.j

BTW, Tacos and Salsa in their new location on Suk Soi 18 is also doing a Saturday buffet for 300 baht....

post-53787-0-86342100-1298690747_thumb.j

And, Coyote used to have what I believe was a Monday night buffet of some kind as well.... I'm not sure if they still do.

Edited by jfchandler

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really not trying to shill for BS, Doug really doesn't need the help. But at least at BS they set out condiments like real jalapeno peppers and if you don't like the liquid cheese dip, there is shredded cheddar as well. For you neebies, if you order Mexican food anywhere in Bangkok one measure of how earnest their efforts are is whether they even include jalapenos. Most do not, even in their version of nachos.

I've been to the TS buffet and it is pretty lame but not near as lame as Coyote where you will be wishing you at least got some liquid cheese.

VPI, you're right, BS does put out a small bowl of actual shredded white cheese over at one end of the buffet table, near where the small bowl of jarred typed salsa is kept, and some diced onions, and similar things... The big pot of Cheese Whiz type stuff is located over at the opposite end of the table next to the tortilla chips and frijoles...

One thing I also do like about BS's offering is that they typically have two versions of their frijoles, one regular and one vegetarian....both quite decent.

I've never tried the Coyote buffet, just heard of it... and I've tried the TS buffet only in the prior Suk Road locale, not yet in the new Soi18 locale.

Re the jalapenos, I'm trying to remember....if BS is using the jarred, brined variety.... or the fresh cut variety... My recollection is the former...

Edited by jfchandler

Yep, JFC, it's the canned stuff. I'm just excited these days when you can even get that. You're also right about overall it's great now to have some options for Mexican food in Bangkok. The place has come a long ways. It's all good but it is still sad to see the typical tourist load up only at those Sunrise taco places. Then again loads of folks think Taco Bell is good food, liquid re-fried beans from a tube dispenser. Those that do should really view that Food, Inc. video once.

Yep, JFC, it's the canned stuff. I'm just excited these days when you can even get that. You're also right about overall it's great now to have some options for Mexican food in Bangkok. The place has come a long ways. It's all good but it is still sad to see the typical tourist load up only at those Sunrise taco places. Then again loads of folks think Taco Bell is good food, liquid re-fried beans from a tube dispenser. Those that do should really view that Food, Inc. video once.

C'mon now, don't go knocking Tbell. When I lived in the states that used to be our 3AM hamskied out of our minds food stop. Next day wouldn't remember other than the fact those liquified beans would dirty up the bowl.Then recollection would set in "Oh that's right had the Tbell late night".......

So Tacos and Salsa's new spot is near Los Cabos off the Asoke platform?

No, T&S is on Soi 18 almost to the end of that soi, a good walk up from the main Suk Road...

Los Cabos is Soi 14 just on the in-town side of the Asoke BTS station, less than 100 meters off Suk Rd.

T&S's location on Soi 18 is across the main Asoke Rd. on the out of town side, and several hundred meters up the soi.

No, T&S is on Soi 18 almost to the end of that soi, a good walk up from the main Suk Road...

Los Cabos is Soi 14 just on the in-town side of the Asoke BTS station, less than 100 meters off Suk Rd.

T&S's location on Soi 18 is across the main Asoke Rd. on the out of town side, and several hundred meters up the soi.

O.K. thanks jfc, yes I hit Los Cabos regularly when I am in BKK so am familiar with where that is right off the Asoke station, sounds like T&S is a bit of a hike from there. Cheers, GOM

Hi Spoilarama: I get this feeling like you may actually be very familiar with Mexican food (far more than 99% of the posters here). I wonder if you can take the time to rank all (or maybe the top ten in your view) of the Mexican food places in Thailand (not only Bangkok) from, say, 1-10 (one being best and 10 being worst). Also, if you can, include the city location because some of us don't know where they are. Thanks.

I've put my Bkk rankings up before and they haven't changed much. Putting a single restaurant at number one is difficult for me as I like Los Cabos and Tacos & Salsa equally overall but for entirely different reasons. Los Cabos has a greater variety of Mexican dishes overall (Mexican cuisine isn't just tacos and burritos, just as American cuisine isn't just burgers and hotdogs) and is more innovative in the way that kitchens are innovative in today's Mexico. The quality of the ingredietns, esp the meats, is better than anywhere else, and their lobster is second to none as far as I'm concerned. The fish taco is fantastic. When they first opened, their salsas were weak, but they have improved immensely, esp the salsa casera, which is now standard hear. As someone else pointed out, Los Cabos is the only place in town that does traditional chiles rellenos (even though it's misspelt on the menu in the typical American way). They fly in fresh poblano chiles every week.

The menu of side dishes and desserts is much more interesting than anywhere else in town. The atmosphere is pleasant, esp the outdoor seating, which no one else in town really has (T&S has one table on the sidewalk; La Monita has a couple of picnic tables, and Charlie Brown's a few more). If I'm out with a large group, Los Cabos is the only place where I can be fairly confident of finding a table large enough.

For other tacos (not fish) I prefer T&S, esp the alambres. I love that Jorge has dishes like chilaquiles and tinga that no one else does. I don't think the tinga there is all that great but the chilaquiles are gold standard, for me. The huevos rancheros at T&S is also unmatched in Bangkok. Jorge's beans are the best, most of the time (a bit inconsistent). At the latest incarnation of T&S I like the upstairs lounge, where there's always good music and mucha alegria, esp on wknds when local Mexicans tend to drop in. If I want to make an evening out of doing the Mexican thang, speak Spanish and catch up on good Latin music, this is where I'll go. You can dine on either floor. Very good selection of tequilas, including a couple you won't see elsewhere.

So those two are neck and neck for ranking 1 and ranking 2, depending on the dish and also what kind of evening I'm out for.

Next down for me is La Monita. They win for burritos, which are San Francisco supersize-me style but well put-together. The tacos are OK, though not as good as at T&S, the corn tortillas being over-fried, for my taste, and the meat fillings tasting a bit tired by comparison. The al pastor tastes nothing like al pastor I've had anywhere else. That would be fine if it tasted great, but it's so-so. The variety of house salsas wakes up the tired fillings though, covering a multitude of sins. Most of the salsas are cocida/cooked), though, and I prefer fresca/fresh, of which they have only one as far as I recall. I like La Monita's carne asada, which is much more like carne guisado (grilled beef in gravy) than standard carne asada (simply grilled). But it's good. When eating alone, La Monita is convenient because the food is prepared in advance (not necessarily fresh, but quick) so I can get in and out without much fuss. I tried the San Diego-style "carne asada fries" recently -- good stuff. There are no real standout dishes other than the burrito (and I prefer the Mexican-style burrito), but I like the diner-style ambience for a quick meal. Even with a recent slight expansion, the place is so small that sometimes there is no place to sit, but usually it's OK. It's convenient to BTS and makes a fun quick stop. Very good collection of tequilas as well. Very popular with Thais, which may be partially due to the Thai co-owner's friendships among Thai media, who have adopted it as trendy for now. Definitely a place worth trying.

After that it's Charley Brown's, Sunrise and Coyote, for me. I would have placed Charlie Brown's further down the also-rans but I dined there recently and found the food surprisingly enjoyable. It bears almost no relation to what is served in Mexico, but then neither is the food at La Monita. I enjoyed a plate of stuffed jalapenos at CB's, which were done in the American style but quite tasty. The place has been redecorated and looks much livelier now. Plenty of outdoor tables, nice ambience on the sub-soi there with other bars nearby. I chuckled at the poster in the restroom advertising "Cheap Charley Brown's" on Sunday evenings, when Cheap Charlie's nearby is closed, so Charley Brown matches Cheap Charlie's prices all night.

I read jfchandler's review where he mentioned terrible service at CB's, so I may have just hit it on a lucky day. It was a very busy Thursday evening ("teacher's night" or something), so I half-expected bad service but it was actually ok. Maybe next time I won't be so fortunate.

Sunrise has a less congenial ambience -- more fast-food style, bright and plasticky - and I don't like the tacos much, but I like the way you can easily customize the burritos on an order sheet (rather than trusting a wait person to remember), so I can get them without bean and rice fillers. The original branch at Soi 12 is more consistent than the mall branches, in my experience. But I've only tried each a few times.

With all the other choices in town, it's rare I visit Senor Pico's but I was there in December with a group of Latinos (amontg the party were Mexicans, Colombians, Chileans and Argentineans), and ordered a variety of dishes. We all agreed that some dishes were actually pretty good, others not so good. The Cuban band is a plus; having to negotiate the hotel lobby etc is not a plus if you just want a quick meal. What Paesano is to Italian cuisine in Bangkok, Senor Pico's is to Mexican. As with La Monita, very popular with Thais.

I don't have much good to say about Coyote. Have been dragged there by friends on many an occasion, and I stick to beer or cocktails now, maybe chips and guacamole. Portions are huge, so it draws the supersize-me crowd. Pricey. Good service is a bonus; the staff is well trained.

I've never tried the Mexican offerings at Bourbon St, so no comment there. Last week I went with a couple of friends and ordered the ribs and a bowl of shrimp and crab gumbo, pretty happy with both. Cornbread was dry.

YMMV. There is no best for everyone, just what's best for you, based on your conditioning to Mexican food back home or elsewhere. If someone wants to discuss the facts of how Mexican dishes are traditionally prepared, that's another subject. Having lived in Mexico, dined in each of 26 Mexican states, and having spent most of my childhood in a Southwestern border state means I know a bit about the subject. But in the end we all like what we like, and then scramble for the 'facts' to support our preference.

Aside: Outside of Bangkok for me there are only three contenders: Miguel's and El Diablo in Chiang Mai (the latter for burritos, the former for everything else, but a distant second from Bkk's top two), and El Barrio Bonito on Ko Chang (on par with Bkk's best). Best to leave details for another thread. I've tried a few places in Pattaya and Phuket, nothing impressive yet.

Thailand-wide

1. Los Cabos/Tacos & Salsa tied (Bkk)

2. El Barrio Bonito (Koh Chang)

3. La Monita (Bkk)

3. Miguel's (Chiang Mai)

4. El Diablo (Chiang Mai)

5. Charley Brown's/Senor Pico's/Sunrise tied(Bkk)

6. Coyote (Bkk)

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Yes, the owner of T&S ran into problems with his partner, the former T&S location there near Washington Square closed, was gone for some time, and then finally opened a new place in recent months under the original T&S owner down toward the end of Suk Soi 18. Same name and owner. Yet another new location. Now on the third place since the original opening.

Hi Spoilarama: I get this feeling like you may actually be very familiar with Mexican food (far more than 99% of the posters here).

Thailand-wide

1. Los Cabos/Tacos & Salsa tied (Bkk)

2. El Barrio Bonito (Koh Chang)

3. La Monita (Bkk)

3. Miguel's (Chiang Mai)

4. El Diablo (Chiang Mai)

5. Charley Brown's/Senor Pico's/Sunrise tied(Bkk)

6. Coyote (Bkk)

Truly excellent post SO and would wonder if your rankings couldn't get pinned under restaurants or something.

I would slightly disagree with your # 5, the Mex I had at Charley Brown's was marginal at best, sides cold, maybe just bad luck, but the burrito with my combo plate was child-size, that for sure wasn't just bad luck. I would rate Sunrise over CB's, just a personal opinion.

On that note, looking forward to a marg (or three) and combo plate at Los Cabos Friday night. Cheers and an early happy Frijole Friday to all, remember it's the "magical fruit"!

Glad you enjoyed the review. Based on my last two visits to Charley Brown's and Sunrise, I felt like the first had improved and the second was going down, but really it's a difficult business, running a restaurant, and they all have good and bad days. Maybe next time it will be the reverse. Maybe my mirth after seeing the poster in Charley Brown's restroom made made me see it differently, who knows? Anyway it's all just opinion.

I just read that El Jimador is hosting a *free* tequila tasting next Wed 9 March, from 6.30 to 8.30pm at Los Cabos. Tastings include blanco, reposado and anejo, all three made with 100% agave.

Anyway it's all just opinion.

Perhaps in your posts, that's likely true...

But in the bigger broader world, it's not... The are facts to be had.

Coyote, despite their marginal food, has the broadest selection of margaritas in Bangkok (and probably Thailand)... That's a fact...

Sunrise Tacos' main Suk Road branch is open 24 hours whereas the other Mexican places around BKK, perhaps with one KSR exception, are not.

Sunrise probably also has the broadest selection of salsas, and certainly the hottest, among the main BKK Mexican places.

And, Sunrise has a decent menu of Mexican breakfast entrees that you can actually eat in the morning during breakfast hours, whereas most if not all of the other main Mexican places are closed during traditional breakfast hours (as opposed to a few noon-ish brunch offerings).

That doesn't mean either of them are better or are the best... But these and other facts do provide a basis for evaluating these places, beyond people who merely like to spout off their opinions and offer skewed ratings...

Edited by jfchandler

That doesn't mean either of them are better or are the best... But these and other facts do provide a basis for evaluating these places, beyond people who merely like to spout off their opinions and offer skewed ratings...

Touche' :D

Thank you very much for your rating and thank you again to all of you here in Thai Visa for your support.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for been disconnected for such as long time from here, some times it is very difficult to manage to many thing at once and it was hard for me to get in here.

I really appreciate your comments, critics and suggestions that has, personally help me to grow and mature the concept of Tacos & Salsa.

If the is any thing i can help you or share, please feel free to contact me too, I am planing to open a Traditional Mexican food cooking course in the restaurant soon.

I hope you are all well and I hope to see you in the restaurant some time soon, if you need any information, please follow us here, facebook, Twitter, on in our website tacosandsalsa.com

There you will have the most updated information about our food and promotions.

For example, The new Salmon in Tequila sauce stake, prawn or fish ceviches, Churros with "Atole de chocolate champurrado" (hot tick chocolate drink), Sweet quesadilla dessert, etc.

My favorite are "Beef Milanesa Tacos" and "Camarones a la Diabla" come and try them as well with our now classic Taquitos, Tacos al Pastor, Tostadas, Flan, etc

Also, remember, that there is a FREE motorbike-Taxi ride from the Top of Soi 18 to the restaurnat.

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

post-115922-0-96962400-1299339767_thumb.

post-115922-0-27354300-1299339866_thumb.

Touche' :D

Wow jfchandler I sense either bitterness or some kind of inside info. Also, not sure, but the discussion (in my humble opinion anyway..) seemed to be food-centric and some things you have brought up rating wise are about particular hours and overpriced spout produced margaritas. I still think food-wise SO's ratings are pretty spot on.

I really thank Jorge for posting some of those dishes he is offering, time for me to give that a try as been going to Los Cabos but time for some variety.

Grumpy, I have no idea what you're talking about re my comments above:

--the ability to serve Mexican breakfast items at breakfast time, in addition to actually offering them on the menu, is solely about food.

--the margaritas at Coyote are freshly blended, and at a happy hour price of 100 baht, are hardly overpriced.

--I for one consider margaritas to be a pretty important part of an overall Mexican food/dining experience.

--Likewise, I'd consider a Mexican restaurant's offerings of salsas to be pretty central to the dining experience...

If those things aren't part of what makes for a good Mexican restaurant experience, I'm not sure what would be.

All of the various Mexican places mentioned above have their good/strong and bad/weak points... Unfortunately, some people seem to be very selective (I might say biased) in how they evaluate those things.

Edited by jfchandler

Firstly, I would like to apologize for been disconnected for such as long time from here, some times it is very difficult to manage to many thing at once and it was hard for me to get in here.

Welcome back, Jorge... Looking forward to stopping by your new place.... Meanwhile, perhaps you can clarify a couple of things...

1. There was an issue raised above about whether T&S is open for lunch hours.... One poster above reported going and finding the restaurant closed.... So, what are your actual operating hours now?

2. How do customers use the moto-taxi service you mentioned above? Just catch any motocy at the top of the soi and say "Tacos and Salsa"???

Hi

1. Tacos & Salsa open from Tuesday to Sunday (Monday close) from 11am to 12am (midnight) or late depending of the patrons.

2. There is a taxi-motorbike stand at the top of the sou 18, next to LEXUS car show room, there you will see a sight with our logo indicating that there you can get the ride to the restaurant.

Don't forget to visit our wesite for updates tacosandsalsa.com

best regards

Jorge

Best regards

Anyway it's all just opinion.

Perhaps in your posts, that's likely true...

But in the bigger broader world, it's not... The are facts to be had.

Coyote, despite their marginal food, has the broadest selection of margaritas in Bangkok (and probably Thailand)... That's a fact...

Sunrise Tacos' main Suk Road branch is open 24 hours whereas the other Mexican places around BKK, perhaps with one KSR exception, are not.

Sunrise probably also has the broadest selection of salsas, and certainly the hottest, among the main BKK Mexican places.

And, Sunrise has a decent menu of Mexican breakfast entrees that you can actually eat in the morning during breakfast hours, whereas most if not all of the other main Mexican places are closed during traditional breakfast hours (as opposed to a few noon-ish brunch offerings).

:blink:

Your facts are more selective than mine, and contradict nothing I wrote, to boot. I don't see the big deal, frankly.

"Coyote, despite their marginal food, has the broadest selection of margaritas in Bangkok (and probably Thailand)... That's a fact..."

So you would take margarita selection over 'marginal food'? That's an interesting fact in itself, regarding your critical faculties ;)

You have a point about the 24-hour opening of Sunrise, which is one reason I find myself there when all else is closed. Not exactly the highest recommendation. But I like their salsas, too, except for the mango one. I would still place Sunrise and Coyuote in the same places in my personal ranking, because IMO the actual dishes offered come first.

Note that I said I stick to cocktails or beer when at Coyote, and that's partially because of their large margarita selection, but actually their margaritas tend to be oversweetened, for my taste, so I usually order something else anyway -- or just a shooter. So that cancels the deal on that score, for me anyway. Fact: large margarita selection. Opinion: don't taste so good. Result -1

Best overall tequila selection is more important to me, anyway. Not sure who wins on that one. Great selection at Los Cabos, Tacos & Salsa and La Monita, will have to look more closely at the shelves next time I'm at Coyote.

Speaking of drinks, a new addition at La Monita that I really like is the michelada (beer, lime and chile), very refreshing on a hot day. T&S has been making them a long time already, too.

Good margaritas, good salsa or long hours -- you still need good food. I was asked to rate Mexican eateries and so I did. I stick by my ratings, and you're welcome to your own. And to prioritize the facts as you please, it's still opinion in the end.

Someone was raving about Jack-in-the-Box tacos in a thread recently. Nothing to do with facts, everything to do with personal taste. I don’t like that sort of taco at all, with a crispy ‘shell’ shredded processed cheese, and vinegary sauce, but if they're number-one for someone else, I'm not going to go looking at Jack-in-the-Box's beverage selection to try and shoot him down.

All of the places are doing pretty Ok Mexican food, even at the bottom of anyone's rankings, so gotta say, we're spoiled for choice. And if you don't like one Mexican restaurant, you have three or four other tolerable places to go.

Aside: there is arguably only one true margarita -- and that's a fact ;) -- made with lime and served strained or on the rocks, rather than frozen. The margarita is a drink made for gringos anyway. I've never seen a Mexican drink one in Mexico! I'm sure they must, but it's rare. They drink tequila straight mostly, sometimes with a sangrita chaser or mixed with sangrita (tomato, orange and lime juices, onions, salt and ground chile) as a vampiro in northern Mexico. Or mixed with grapefruit juice -- a cocktail called paloma) – in the south. The other fruit margarita variations are definitely a yanqui addition, not that there's anything wrong with it. Sort of like 'chicken fajitas'.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Hello all,

Well I just felt this was a good place for a plug,

<snip>

Our selling point is that it is "Real Mexican food by Real Mexicans".

I have tried a couple of Mexican restaurants all over Thailand and it always ends up being Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex, which are good cuisine in themselves, but I would crave real Mexican food, as in the type of food I would eat in Mexico.

So I saw a need and am trying to fill it.

We make everything ourselves, fresh every day, from our corn tortillas, to our salsas, and refried beans. People are really liking it, and fans of Mexican food are really surprised at how different it is from what you get at say Sunrise Tacos or Coyotes.

<snip>

Thanks.

One more thing, its just my opinion, but i have tried Coyotes, Sunrise Tacos, and La Monita (all of them in BKK) and by far I would say La Monita was the Best.

Edited by soundman
Please contact sales to promote your business on Thai Visa.

Grumpy, I've eaten BS's Mexican buffet, and kind of enjoyed it, and would go again.... But just not expect authentic preparations in some respects.... Just enjoy it for the bargain that it is. Tuesday nights... 295+ baht...

BTW, Tacos and Salsa in their new location on Suk Soi 18 is also doing a Saturday buffet for 300 baht....

And, Coyote used to have what I believe was a Monday night buffet of some kind as well.... I'm not sure if they still do.

Just went to T & S tonight. Food was good and prices were quite reasonable. (FYI, the Saturday buffet is now 400 baht). For those concerned about +++, there are taxes or service charges there at the present time. Very few of the items cost more than 250 baht and most of the combinations cost about 220 baht or so. The salads are big and quite inexpensive, the frijole soup my friend had was quite good and the burritos were generous in size. No one went away hungry, no one spent more than 350 baht for their food(not including drinks) and everyone had two items for that price.

Beer and alcohol prices seem to be a bit steep, even with happy hour prices though so if you are thirsty, you might have a couple elsewhere first. I remember the old T & S location had a 2 for 1 beer special, which I'm sure attracted more than a few people. However, the regular price of 100-120 bottle for a small bottle of beer is quite expensive.

Tacos & Salsa is at the very end of Suk 18....however, its not a very long soi and there are a number of interesting and attractive restaurants in that area. Just tell the motorcycle guys "bpai Mexican mai" and you get a free ride there anyhow. Its not a bustling area but it is quite pleasant. We all enjoyed the walk back to the main soi and of course, the food as well. None of my group had any complaints and that's saying a lot... my friend's thai gf and my thai wife were quite satisfied (which is saying a lot since she doesn't like Mexican food.) Try it, you'll like it!

Edited by mauiguy90

Hello all,

Well I just felt this was a good place for a plug,

<snip>

Our selling point is that it is "Real Mexican food by Real Mexicans".

I have tried a couple of Mexican restaurants all over Thailand and it always ends up being Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex, which are good cuisine in themselves, but I would crave real Mexican food, as in the type of food I would eat in Mexico.

So I saw a need and am trying to fill it.

We make everything ourselves, fresh every day, from our corn tortillas, to our salsas, and refried beans. People are really liking it, and fans of Mexican food are really surprised at how different it is from what you get at say Sunrise Tacos or Coyotes.

<snip>

Thanks.

One more thing, its just my opinion, but i have tried Coyotes, Sunrise Tacos, and La Monita (all of them in BKK) and by far I would say La Monita was the Best.

Just an FYI for the board here, I PM'd Hugo regarding where his restaurant is as I was interested, he was very polite and let me know he's in Hua Hin.

Just went to T & S tonight. Food was good and prices were quite reasonable. (FYI, the Saturday buffet is now 400 baht). For those concerned about +++, there are taxes or service charges there at the present time. Very few of the items cost more than 250 baht and most of the combinations cost about 220 baht or so. The salads are big and quite inexpensive, the frijole soup my friend had was quite good and the burritos were generous in size. No one went away hungry, no one spent more than 350 baht for their food(not including drinks) and everyone had two items for that price.

Beer and alcohol prices seem to be a bit steep, even with happy hour prices though so if you are thirsty, you might have a couple elsewhere first. I remember the old T & S location had a 2 for 1 beer special, which I'm sure attracted more than a few people. However, the regular price of 100-120 bottle for a small bottle of beer is quite expensive.

Tacos & Salsa is at the very end of Suk 18....however, its not a very long soi and there are a number of interesting and attractive restaurants in that area. Just tell the motorcycle guys "bpai Mexican mai" and you get a free ride there anyhow. Its not a bustling area but it is quite pleasant. We all enjoyed the walk back to the main soi and of course, the food as well. None of my group had any complaints and that's saying a lot... my friend's thai gf and my thai wife were quite satisfied (which is saying a lot since she doesn't like Mexican food.) Try it, you'll like it!

I almost hate to say it because I have always liked Tacos and Salsa, but I just had the worst beef fajitas I have ever had anywhere on the planet at T&S. I have eaten there many times in the past and the food (not the fajitas) was always good. This time I tried the most expensive item on the menu: big mistake! I could not and did not eat the beef--had an odd smell and was tough as leather. It came with only two small flour tortillas (most places give you at least four). For some odd reason, French fries and some horrible vegetables came with the dish and only a very small amount of bell peppers and onions. It did come with a spoonful of guacamole and about the same amount of sour cream. I had to use a microscope to find the cheese that came with it. And it came with three small packets of salsa (but no chips for some reason). I like T&S, but I would avoid the fajitas. Yuuuuuckkkkk!

What exactly is a "packet" of salsa in this instance?

Small, zip-bag-like plastic packets--green, orange, and salsa. All good, by the way. Do not get me wrong, I like T&S, but will never, ever eat beef fajitas there again and because of my experience will likely eat at Charley Brown's more often and La Monita. I really think beef fajitas should be removed from Jorge's menu. What I was given was something he should not be serving and promoting.