Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting approach to salsa serving... :whistling:

Jorge does a big take-out service, hence, the salsa in tiny zip bags :) Nothing odd about it. I want to emphasize that everything I have eaten at T&S, with the exception of beef fajitas (YUUUUUUCCKKKKKKK), was good. I do not understand what Jorge is thinking with regard to the beef fajitas. They should never be made with Thai beef (especially for 400 bhat). The beef should be grilled, very tender and juicy (not dry as the desert and tough as a boot). The vegetables should not include carrots, broccoli, and Thai corn (YUUUUUUUCCKK). And French fries should not be included. Beef fajitas are typically served with grilled bell pepper and onions, the beef is not dry and is normally tender and juicy, the flour tortillas are fairly large and at least four (not two tiny ones) are given to the customer, and there should be enough cheese served with it that you can find it without using a microscope. On the positive side, the guacamole, frijoles, and salsas that came with it were fine. For 400 bhat some chips should be included. IMHO.

Interesting approach to salsa serving... :whistling:

Jorge does a big take-out service, hence, the salsa in tiny zip bags :) Nothing odd about it. I want to emphasize that everything I have eaten at T&S, with the exception of beef fajitas (YUUUUUUCCKKKKKKK), was good. I do not understand what Jorge is thinking with regard to the beef fajitas. They should never be made with Thai beef (especially for 400 bhat). The beef should be grilled, very tender and juicy (not dry as the desert and tough as a boot). The vegetables should not include carrots, broccoli, and Thai corn (YUUUUUUUCCKK). And French fries should not be included. Beef fajitas are typically served with grilled bell pepper and onions, the beef is not dry and is normally tender and juicy, the flour tortillas are fairly large and at least four (not two tiny ones) are given to the customer, and there should be enough cheese served with it that you can find it without using a microscope. On the positive side, the guacamole, frijoles, and salsas that came with it were fine. For 400 bhat some chips should be included. IMHO.

Never understood the attraction to Fajitas. Is it the presentation? The big sizzling platter that everyone turns and looks at?

Overall it's always looked to me like some sort of Mexican stir fry (sort of like Paella to me looks like Spanish Chao Pad), but the vegetables are all way over cooked, and of course OP they are not going to use the best cuts of beef in this dish.

Then slop it into a miniature tortilla for a wannabe burrito, no thanks.

Nahhhhh, give me a quality combo plate over sloppy Fajitas any day of the week. Only my humble opinion. Cheers, GOM

Edited by grumpyoldman

In response to Grumpyoldman:

The attraction for many people is that beef fajitas can be fantastic and a good alternative to enchiladas, tacos, tamales, etc. If you like grilled steak, it is likely you will like fajitas (in the USA). Similarly, if you like a beef burrito, you might like a fajita (an expensive type of burrito). I love combo plates but have never eaten a good combo Mexican plate in Thailand. I have been able to order ala-carte and make my own combo plate that was OK (and that was at Tacos and Salsa). Back to fajitas, the fajitas at Charley Brown's are good for Thailand. The best fajitas I have eaten in Thailand are at one of the worst Mexican places: Tequilla Reef in Pattaya. The owner makes really good pork fajitas (not beef). Still, I have never had beef fajitas in Thailand that resemble the great beef fajitas back in the USA. Today I am going to La Monita for a big burrito :) I do not think the owner of La Monita will add large pieces of carrots, broccoli and Thai corn to the burrito! Hint, hint, hint :)

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

I do not think the owner of La Monita will add large pieces of carrots, broccoli and Thai corn to the burrito! Hint, hint, hint :)

When I was in college in Southern California we had a Mexican place in our college town called Serenitos.

They used to make this incredible chicken/cheese/broccoli flauta. It was a burrito type thing, but inside they would put chicken/cheese/semi steamed broccoli, roll it up, put cheese on the top and then fire it in the oven. You could get it with ranchero sauce on the top or no. The oven would make the outside cheese and tortilla somewhat crispy, stuff on the inside keeping most of the tortilla soft.

Place was always packed due to these and cheap pitchers of beer.

But I'm with you, typically corn, carrot chunks and broccoli are not really burrito items.

But I'm with you, typically corn, carrot chunks and broccoli are not really burrito items.

Not exactly.

Burritos, which are mostly Mexican American food, have regional differences. To many including me San Francisco Mission District style burritos are the gold standard. And, yes, at some of those classic places, SOME of the meat stew choices to add to the burrito do indeed include chunks of carrots and/or potatoes. I don't recall broccoli though.

I think I recall reading that the La Monita owners are strongly influenced by the SF style, so there you go ...

The veg additions are not documented here, but you get an idea of the incredible variety of offers at these places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

For meat fillings, almost all San Francisco taquerias offer a choice of stewed or grilled chicken (pollo or pollo asado), grilled beef steak (carne asada), barbecued pork (al pastor) and braised shredded pork (carnitas); many also offer additional ingredients, including pork stewed in green chile sauce (chile verde), beef stewed in red chile sauce (chile colorado), Mexican sausage (chorizo), beef tongue (lengua), stewed and shredded beef (machaca), stewed beef head (cabeza), beef brain (sesos), beef eyeball (ojo) and prawns (camarones). Many taquerias also offer vegetable or tofu fillings to accommodate their vegetarian customers. Other fillings offered in San Francisco taquerias include Birria (goat meat), Camarones Diablos (extra-spicy shrimp), Carne deshebrada (shredded beef with red chile sauce), Carne Molida (ground beef), Chicharróns (fried pork rinds, stewed), Barbacoa (marinated lamb, sometimes pork is substituted), Pescado (fish, usually fried or grilled Tilapia and sometimes Salmon), Picadillo (ground beef with chopped chiles and tomatoes), Mole (chicken stewed in a chile and chocolate sauce), and Tripas (beef tripe).
Edited by Jingthing

Not exactly.

Burritos, which are mostly Mexican American food, have regional differences. To many including me San Francisco Mission District style burritos are the gold standard. And, yes, at some of those classic places, SOME of the meat stew choices to add to the burrito do indeed include chunks of carrots and/or potatoes. I don't recall broccoli though.

I think I recall reading that the La Monita owners are strongly influenced by the SF style, so there you go ...

The veg additions are not documented here, but you get an idea of the incredible variety of offers at these places.

http://en.wikipedia....ancisco_burrito

For meat fillings, almost all San Francisco taquerias offer a choice of stewed or grilled chicken (pollo or pollo asado), grilled beef steak (carne asada), barbecued pork (al pastor) and braised shredded pork (carnitas); many also offer additional ingredients, including pork stewed in green chile sauce (chile verde), beef stewed in red chile sauce (chile colorado), Mexican sausage (chorizo), beef tongue (lengua), stewed and shredded beef (machaca), stewed beef head (cabeza), beef brain (sesos), beef eyeball (ojo) and prawns (camarones). Many taquerias also offer vegetable or tofu fillings to accommodate their vegetarian customers. Other fillings offered in San Francisco taquerias include Birria (goat meat), Camarones Diablos (extra-spicy shrimp), Carne deshebrada (shredded beef with red chile sauce), Carne Molida (ground beef), Chicharróns (fried pork rinds, stewed), Barbacoa (marinated lamb, sometimes pork is substituted), Pescado (fish, usually fried or grilled Tilapia and sometimes Salmon), Picadillo (ground beef with chopped chiles and tomatoes), Mole (chicken stewed in a chile and chocolate sauce), and Tripas (beef tripe).

I just ate at La Monita's 30 min. ago and the food was very good. I had a pork burrito (al pastor sp?). It was huge and tasty. The tortilla was perfectly cooked and the burrito was bigger than a beer can. It was filled with a generous amount of pork, some beans, too much rice (the only complaint I have; next time I will tell them to reduce the amount of rice), quacamole, etc. It was not dry. The "red salsa" was good as well. I also ordered guacamole and it was the best I have had in Thailand. The chips were good too. I am stuffed to the max. I had eaten at La Monita once before, but did not try the burrito. I highly recommend the place for burritos and guacamole. One more thing: It is conveniently located right by Ploenchit Station.

Never understood the attraction to Fajitas. Is it the presentation? The big sizzling platter that everyone turns and looks at?

Overall it's always looked to me like some sort of Mexican stir fry (sort of like Paella to me looks like Spanish Chao Pad), but the vegetables are all way over cooked, and of course OP they are not going to use the best cuts of beef in this dish.

Nahhhhh, give me a quality combo plate over sloppy Fajitas any day of the week. Only my humble opinion. Cheers, GOM

Not only all that, fajitas are usually way overpriced for what you're getting. It's like the sizzling plate adds 50% to the price

No carrots or potatoes or broccoli in the very good burritos at La Monita... Thank God!!!

I've eaten beef and potato burritos in the U.S.... Taco Bell even has them on the menu...if that gives you any idea...

But I can't recall ever eating a burrito with carrots or broccoli... And in my life, being a burrito guy, I'm sure I've eaten hundreds and hundreds...

And frankly, I'm quite glad about that...

Edited by jfchandler

OK, I was confused about what La Monita was putting in their burritos. In any case, it isn't unusual to find at some good burrito places. When you're talking about Mexican American burritos, "authentic" has little to do with it for such a recent food trend historically, delicious does. Oh, some burrito places also have chunks of veg in the rice! I have heard you can get a basic burrito in far Northern Mexico (meat only in a flour tortilla) but in my travels well south of there I have to see any burrito on a menu in Mexico. Maybe that's changing now, as many US based Mexicans have gone home.

Edited by Jingthing

Pre-Colombian Aztecs wrapped foods in tortillas, so maybe you are just talking about the word "Burrito"? Mexi-American 1923.

Putting something inside a" tortilla" is an old thing. Back then, I think they did not have flour and only corn. So the Aztecs probably used some form of corn tortilla.

No matter what you call it, taco or burrito or fajita, it is an old concept and one step away from the modern "sandwich."

I believe, not sure, that the burrito with the flour tortilla is a very recent invention that came from northern Mexico.

Personally, I love corn tortillas (semi-soft and not crispy) and have ordered fajitas in the USA with corn tortillas. T&S does serve very good corn tortillas cooked just right. Jorge does make good tacos and enchiladas, but about the beef fajitas (well, no more comment).

If anybody is interested, I just bought two cans of Hormel chile at a place inside the Paragon (corn/taco chips too).

When you're talking about Mexican American burritos, "authentic" has little to do with it for such a recent food trend historically

Pre-Colombian Aztecs wrapped foods in tortillas, so maybe you are just talking about the word "Burrito"? Mexi-American 1923.

I find that a very silly question. I am clearly talking about modern burritos, not all Mexican or Mexican-American foods.

When you're talking about Mexican American burritos, "authentic" has little to do with it for such a recent food trend historically

I find that a very silly question. I am clearly talking about modern burritos, not all Mexican or Mexican-American foods.

I was only commenting on your post as to the recency of the burrito, which I guess is subjective. Your concept of recent might be different than mine. I would say a food that is close to 100 years old (or more) for me is not so recent. Something like a deep fried Snickers bar (late 1980's invention) I can understand as being recent.

Now where is that deep fried Snickers cart................maybe I should wrap a tortilla around it !

Edited by grumpyoldman

The popularized Mexican American style burrito, the type of food the world now thinks of as a burrito, is most likely much more recent than 100 years. Earlier than the 1980's yes, but less than 100 years. I seriously doubt the Northern Mexican food of just meat and nothing else in a flour tortilla would have ever become a global trend; it isn't even a trend in Mexico. I understand different definitions of recent, but compared to pizza, burritos are recent no matter how you slice it.

Why is NONE OF THE ABOVE not an option? :o

Dr. B

Without question, the best Mexican food in Bangkok is located in my dreams.

+1 jap.gif Also, will voters please indicate where they're from, so we can discount those who've never actually had real Mexican food... me, I'm from South Texas - it IS Mexico, they just changed the flags one day.

Not only all that, fajitas are usually way overpriced for what you're getting. It's like the sizzling plate adds 50% to the price

Real Fajitas originate from La Frontera/Northern Mexico, and/or South Texas, where I am from. I've cooked & eaten more tons on Westside San Antonio bbq's and partook of borderlands taco stands than is healthy. So I'll weigh in on their behalflaugh.gif, y'all!

Fajitas are poor man's steak ala Mexicano - the cheapest cut of beef, skirt steak, marinated overnight to tenderize & add flavor, and then BBQ'd only on mesquite charcoal - NEVER stir-fried f'God's sake!!! Also, the sizzling plate thang came later as a chain restaurant gimmick. Lastly, there ARE no vegtables except for what's in the pico de gallo. Done correctly and served up with fresh, granny-made flour tortillas, REAL guacamole (there is NO sour cream in it... thats a cheap filler) & pico de gallo (finely chopped tomatoes, green onions, cilantro & fresh green chilies), you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. Or San Antonio.

Unfortunately, I've never seen good fajitas outside S Tejas, even all over CA, AZ or NM. It's Frontera/South Texas cuisine. But surprisingly, Hard Rock BKK have done a decent job on the meat - even if all the peripherals are just wrong!

All the above that are required to make em real & good. Burritos.... thats not even Mexican food. But ok when ya need a fix.

Edited by bbradsby

La Monita.

I thought that was excellent.

I see Taco and Salsa went away. Wonder why?

Tacos and Salsa moved to Soi 18 (end of the soi) Sukhumvit. The food is generally good with the exception of the most expensive item on the menu: beef fajitas. Try the less expensive tacos, enchiladas, and other items instead.

La Monita.

Tacos and Salsa moved to Soi 18 (end of the soi) Sukhumvit. The food is generally good with the exception of the most expensive item on the menu: beef fajitas. Try the less expensive tacos, enchiladas, and other items instead.

So that's the Asoke station, exit same side as Los Cabos and walk up the street a couple blocks?

La Monita.

So that's the Asoke station, exit same side as Los Cabos and walk up the street a couple blocks?

Yes, Asoke, then walk towards Windsor Suites or Bie Otto (that direction) on same side of the street as Los Cabos. It is a long walk, actually. Once you get to Suk 18 you are supposed to be able to find a free motor-taxi (by the car place) that will take you to the end of the Soi (very end). I could not find the free taxi. Anyway, I would avoid the beef fajitas :) and try the other stuff. Be sure and let us know what you thought about the place.

La Monita.

Yes, Asoke, then walk towards Windsor Suites or Bie Otto (that direction) on same side of the street as Los Cabos. It is a long walk, actually. Once you get to Suk 18 you are supposed to be able to find a free motor-taxi (by the car place) that will take you to the end of the Soi (very end). I could not find the free taxi. Anyway, I would avoid the beef fajitas :) and try the other stuff. Be sure and let us know what you thought about the place.

As posted earlier, not a big fan of fajitas, so yes will get their macho grande combination or whatever they refer to it as and some guacamole. The walk sounds like a couple of margaritas will be in order too. Thanks for the info and for sure I'll post my thoughts on it. Cheers, GOM

Hi every one,

I have to thank to Mr. Grumpyoldman for his comments about our beef fajitas. Actually, at the beginning i was a bit upset with my staff and me and a bit with Mr. Grumpy.

But then i realize, at the end of the month, and checking my sales numbers, that, actually i have increased the sales of Fajitas, in general including the beef fajitas, and it may be thanks to the expectation created by the post.

Anyway, I hope can see you here and I would like to thank you all for the grand support to the Mexican food culture in Thailand.

I hope to see you here soon.

Please if you want to get more information of where we are and what we have, please visit our web page and facebook page, including my personal facebook page. Where I am normally update every day

Have a nice week and a happy Eastern / Sonkkran holidays.

By the way, Tacos & Salsa will close 12, 13 and 14 of April and we will be back to you on the 15.

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

Hi every one,

I have to thank to Mr. Grumpyoldman for his comments about our beef fajitas. Actually, at the beginning i was a bit upset with my staff and me and a bit with Mr. Grumpy.

But then i realize, at the end of the month, and checking my sales numbers, that, actually i have increased the sales of Fajitas, in general including the beef fajitas, and it may be thanks to the expectation created by the post.

Anyway, I hope can see you here and I would like to thank you all for the grand support to the Mexican food culture in Thailand.

Please if you want to get more information of where we are and what we have, please visit our web page and facebook page, including my personal facebook page. Where I am normally update every day

By the way, Tacos & Salsa will close 12, 13 and 14 of April and we will be back to you on the 15.

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

Oh man! Grumpy taking a hit for Awohalitsiktoi !

Sorry Jorge, as I PM'd to you, I have not been to your restaurant yet, would not have put down your fajitas if I actually hadn't tried them, that would be bad. I posted that I've never understood the attraction to fajitas and am more of the combo grande type.

I'll look to try your place toward the end of the month, will post here my results. Cheers, GOM

Hi every one,

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

Sorry Jorge, as I PM'd to you, I have not been to your restaurant yet, would not have put down your fajitas if I actually hadn't tried them, that would be bad. I posted that I've never understood the attraction to fajitas and am more of the combo grande type.

I'll look to try your place toward the end of the month, will post here my results. Cheers, GOM

Sorry Grumpy, i didn't mean to point you or anyone, So i have to Thanks Awohalitsiktoi.

I am very apologize with you man, and i hope to see all you here soon.

Actually I am planing a Thai Visa comunity party and work shop where we can cook and share experiences together and i friendly live forum, is any one interested to organize it.

I would like to call also for a evening "make it yourself? burrito or tacos with all the truly Mexican food fanatics like us.

If anyone interested, please do not hesitate on contact me

Have a nice week

Jorge Bernal

Hi every one,

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

Sorry Grumpy, i didn't mean to point you or anyone, So i have to Thanks Awohalitsiktoi.

I am very apologize with you man, and i hope to see all you here soon.

Actually I am planing a Thai Visa comunity party and work shop where we can cook and share experiences together and i friendly live forum, is any one interested to organize it.

I would like to call also for a evening "make it yourself? burrito or tacos with all the truly Mexican food fanatics like us.

If anyone interested, please do not hesitate on contact me

Have a nice week

Jorge Bernal

No worries Jorge, just didn't want you to think I was the one that posted a bad experience with your fajitas when I hadn't been to your place yet.

Yes, "make it yourself" night. My Mom used to do this, she called it "walking tacos". You would take either a tortilla, a taco shell or a tostada shell and walk around the table set with all the makings and whip up your own creation.