Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kind of right James... though...

1. I like eating in at La Monita, and am happy that they've finally started accepting cards, which is usually the way I pay...

and 2. they've been saying they're going to do home delivery for MANY MONTHS almost since their opening, but nothing's come of it so far...

1. I like eating in at La Monita, and am happy that they've finally started accepting cards, which is usually the way I pay...

and 2. they've been saying they're going to do home delivery for MANY MONTHS almost since their opening, but nothing's come of it so far...

Looks like they have adopted the local way of thinking when it comes to meeting the needs of customers:

1) Credit cards - only if we have to

2) Delivery - why, we are busy now

:lol:

well, I leave it up to our american friends here to come up with the perfect Tex-Mex place but allow me one probably controversial question;

What is it with the Obsession about Tex-Mex food here??

I must say that the occasional Tex Mex suits me fine, but in all, it is neither a refined nor delicate cuisine but actually pretty simular to Thai food where there is no main actor on stage like the meat or fish, but where the star is hidden behind lots and lots of Extra's i.E. spices. Classic European cuisine aims at enhancing the flavor of the meat or fish by carefully selecting herbs and spices. I find much more reason to be enthusiastic about Euro cuisine than any other. No Euro Chef would even in his worst nightmare think about covering a delicate Dover Sole in chilly and cumin but chooses a light fish stock with a few capers and lemon juice with a dash of white wine and good butter to enhace the flavor ad introduce the superstar up front. Beef which has a robust flavor is equally the Super star in a Goulash even though some stronger spices are used but combine to enhancee the flavor and not cover it. Thai, Mexican, Indian food is more like the Mike Thyson of food .. wallop... it hits you with spices. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not a style of food to be absolutely obsessed with ... now hit me :o

Good Mexican food is able to satisfy in a way that no other cuisine on earth is able to. The huge variety of starches, sauces, meats, cheese, and spices leave one feeling fulfilled as no other meal is capable of. So far truly good Mexican is not available in Thailand as far as I know, I don't think it's available at all outside Mexico and the Southwest US. Hence there will be an endless search by Americans for Mexican food, as well as endless debate about which restaurant is 'good enough' to hold you over until your next time back in LA or Austin or Cabo.

I frankly don't understand the obsession with European cuisine. I mean if someone is paying for me I'll eat it, but...

well, I leave it up to our american friends here to come up with the perfect Tex-Mex place but allow me one probably controversial question;

Good Mexican food is able to satisfy in a way that no other cuisine on earth is able to. The huge variety of starches, sauces, meats, cheese, and spices leave one feeling fulfilled as no other meal is capable of. So far truly good Mexican is not available in Thailand as far as I know, I don't think it's available at all outside Mexico and the Southwest US. Hence there will be an endless search by Americans for Mexican food, as well as endless debate about which restaurant is 'good enough' to hold you over until your next time back in LA or Austin or Cabo.

I frankly don't understand the obsession with European cuisine. I mean if someone is paying for me I'll eat it, but...

Cool topic - food wars ;-)

My two cents..

It''s a pretty subjective topic DP25, your opening statement is just that. "you" may well think it satisfies like no other cuisine on earth is able to do, but I'm pretty sure many would disagree. My subjective view / opinion is that whilst I enjoy a good Mexican now and again, I would say it is bottom rung of the ladder when compared to other cuisines. I would also say without doubt Thai is king and IMO and there is no cuisine on earth with as much variation, but that is largely due to the fact when we say "Thai food" we are really talking about four cuisines (Northern, Issan, Southern and Central), but also the derivative cuisines which Thai's call Thai food, but aren't at all and come from Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Yunnan. It is this that produces the amazing variety in Thai cuisine, it wouldn't be difficult to name several hundred Thai dishes, not so sure this is possible in any other cuisine.

Whilst I love Indian food, having ate it for 30 years and had Indian girlfriend for 5 years I could not eat it everyday, nor could I eat any other European food everyday, in fact Thai is the only food I could eat everyday no problem and quite often I do.

That said I like variation, and if someone can nail the head and shoulders above the rest Mexican in BKK, I'd like to give it a go.

in fact Thai is the only food I could eat everyday no problem and quite often I do.

To each his own, but one Thai meal every couple of days is plenty for me.

I would eat a good Mission street burrito every single day for lunch if there were any here. I did for many years when I lived in San Francisco and never got bored with them or with tasty Chinese food for dinner either. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Looks like they have adopted the local way of thinking when it comes to meeting the needs of customers:

1) Credit cards - only if we have to

2) Delivery - why, we are busy now

:lol:

I heard it's because chefsxp had a guy in charge of accounts who then either left or got fired just before the arrangement was settled, and now they need to go through the whole contract process again- which is why it's taking time. Personally I cannot wait as love the food there.

Edited by OxfordWill

in fact Thai is the only food I could eat everyday no problem and quite often I do.

To each his own, but one Thai meal every couple of days is plenty for me.

I would eat a good Mission street burrito every single day for lunch if there were any here. I did for many years when I lived in San Francisco and never got bored with them or with tasty Chinese food for dinner either. :)

Yup, you have nailed it more concisely than I did, but that was my point (it is each to their own).

Oh just realised of something else I could eat everyday no problem, lamb or chicken kebabs from corner of soi 5 - superb !! IMO

I know this is veering off topic a bit... but what exact place at the corner of Soi 5 are you referring to, re the kebabs.

On the one corner there's the food Center Restaurant and adjoining bar. On the other corner with Suk Road there's some kind of shop, and then a bunch of streetside food cards as you head up the soi towards Foodland.

There's one (or used to be) on the left on a street cart as you walk towards Foodland, across from that little sub soi that cuts across to Soi 7. Seen a kebab cart at the sub soi itself before too. Personally I've always liked the one on Soi 3, closest to the corner 7-11. In a fixed spot with seating so it's always there too

I've eaten @ Sunrise several times. The food is absolutely tasteless. I mentioned this to a friend, and she commented, "Oh, yeah. It's food for drunks." Large, tasteless portions of food - perfect to line the tummy. Charlie's Brown's great, as is Coyote's.

The problem I think is the people making the food obviously don't have any idea what it's supposed to taste like

I'm pretty sure Robb who is the proprietor of Los Cabos is from San Diego, you know...., next to Mexico, full of Mexicans?

And to go onto say Mexican food here should solely be baked goods and cheese is ludicrous.

I am a little bit suspicious about how much someone named "Svenn" knows about Mexican food. :D

Probably know as much about it as some of the posters on here, constant bickering about TexMex, CalMex, SoCalMex.

Personally I have never been so San Francisco so cant comment, but its all about the taste, not where its from or where it was cooked.

For the record I concur with a previous poster Sunrise Tacos, yeah right, couldnt be doing with the stroppy attitude of the staff never mind the food.

Is T&S being opened and run by Jorge didnt he have some problems before?

I can't imagine anyone without wide experience eating Mexican food in both Mexico and/or parts of the US can really understand what the food is about as well as someone who has. Sorry. On the other hand I am sure that some people who have Scandinavian sounding names do have such knowledge.

Edited by Jingthing

I can't imagine anyone without wide experience eating Mexican food in both Mexico and/or parts of the US can really understand what the food is about as well as someone who has. Sorry. On the other hand I am sure that some people who have Scandinavian sounding names do have such knowledge.

Well its a bit like people bitching and moaning that you cant get real Thai food in Thailand, because its not cooked the same as back home.

Personally I have never been so San Francisco so cant comment, but its all about the taste, not where its from or where it was cooked.

True, but someplace that is renown for its food with thousands of Mexican restaurants, run by Mexicans, that are competing against each other, tends to be better than a place with little competition.

Also, authentic ingredients are more likely to be used because they are easier to find. For example, I do not know any Mexican restaurants in Thailand that have good corn tortillas. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I agree with U Grant on this one, which is why I tend to favor Mexican cuisine prepared in a place where millions of Mexicans live and plenty of authentic ingredients are available ;)

I think many of us (myself included) fall back on the 'authentic ingredients' argument when it suits our tastes and then argue against authenticity when it doesn't. Fair enough, there is no 'best' - only what you like on the one hand, and what's most authentic, on the other. They coincide to a lesser or greater degree depending on the person and on the dish in question.

Someone who spends a lot of time eating a cuisine in many different settings will eventually drift toward the authentic, in most cases, in my experience, but not always. Someone who grows up eating Thai food made in Copenhagen (where there are plenty of Thai restaurants, including one with a Michelin star), for example, may prefer Copenhagen Thai to Thai food made in Bangkok. But someone who really explores the cuisine over many years and across many locales will almost always come to the conclusion that Thailand has the best Thai food. Personally I feel the same about Mexican food; nowhere compares to Mexico.

Thus I'm not a big fan of the crisp-shell tacos, which are non-existent in Mexico, and which you'd be hard-pressed to find in San Fran's Mission district either. That's probably why I missed them at Miguel's. But I'm fan of the place for just about everything else. The huevos rancheros are almost as good as at Tacos & Salsa in Bangkok, the gold standard for that dish in Thailand, for me at least. The quality of the corn tortillas make a huge difference in that dish.

As far as corn tortillas go, Tacos & Salsa, Los Cabos and La Monita in Bangkok, and Barrio Bonito on Ko Chang, all use good corn tortillas, if not as good as the best Mexico has to offer.

T&S griddles them lightly before serving and they taste best that way, for my tastes. La Monita tends to fry them in oil, so that they can get rather hard/chewy and oily, tasting almost like tacos dorados ('golden tacos,' ie deep-fried; but LM's aren't, since the filling isn't fried too, thankfully) rather than fresh tacos. I'm sure some people like them that way. I prefer a drier, softer tortilla for tacos, like you get at the average taco stand in Mexico. For a place that calls itself a taqueria, I'd like to see them pay more attention to the way a traditional taqueria makes tacos. The potential is there, the corn tortillas they use are quality tortillas. The salsas are good. The al pastor doesn't taste like any al pastor I've ever eaten, whether in California, Texas, the Southwest or Mexico. The carne asada - which tastes more like carne guisada, since it's served in a sauce rather than simply grilled - is the best choice there IMO.

Barrio Bonita, likewise, did the corn tortillas perfectly when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Both T&S and Barrio Bonita achieve the right balance between tortillas and fillings, for my tastes, and each offers tasty taco choices that other places don't have, like tacos al pastor that actually taste like al pastor, and tacos de alambres.

The corn tortillas served at Sunrise have a heavy grain and fall apart when you pick up the taco -- in fact, don't try, just use a fork. The last time I ate there the filling was also not heated properly. I stick with the misspelt 'chili relleno delight' at Sunrise, which is described as "Our famous quiche, it’s layered and baked with mild chili’s [sic] and masa." Very tasty and only 69 baht. Like Tex-Mex "tamale pie."

I've only tried the tacos once or twice at Los Cabos since their menu is more extensive than anywhere else, ie it isn't just tacos and burritos like everywhere else, so I go for the Puerto Nuevo-style lobster (incredible), enchiladas, tamales or chiles rellenos (best in Thailand, that I've tried so far; the owner flies in fresh chiles poblanos weekly) and for the excellent 100% blue agave tequilas. I don't remember how they prepare the corn tortillas for the tacos - although though the menu offers corn tortillas in a choice of soft or crisp - but I'll pay attention the next time I eat there on a Tuesday evening when you can buy three tacos for 99 baht. The prices Mexican restaurants charge elsewhere for tacos (and at Los Cabos on non-99 baht nights) are over the top.

I don't know where any of these restaurants source their corn tortillas but it is obviously not where Miguel's and Sunrise do. I have heard there are three tortilla factories in Bangkok: Mission, El Charro and Danitas. This web page says Danitas was started by the same American who started Charley Brown's:

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam7/Bangkok_Bistro.html

As far as corn tortillas go, Tacos & Salsa, Los Cabos and La Monita in Bangkok, and Barrio Bonito on Ko Chang, all use good corn tortillas, if not as good as the best Mexico has to offer.

Good to know. I have not been to Bangkok since these 3 places opened (or maybe T&S was there, but not well known yet).

Sunrise was the new place on my last few trips, but I prefer Miguels in Chiang Mai.

Mr. "I only like AUTHENTIC Mexican food" strikes again! <_<

I stick with the misspelt 'chili relleno delight' at Sunrise, which is described as "Our famous quiche, it's layered and baked with mild chili's [sic] and masa." Very tasty and only 69 baht. Like Tex-Mex "tamale pie."

No, I think most people would find the white corn tortillas of Mexico and the US far superior to yellow corn tortillas, whether they're from Thailand or Mexico. White corn tortillas have a smoother texture and are moister than yellow corn tortillas.

I agree with U Grant on this one, which is why I tend to favor Mexican cuisine prepared in a place where millions of Mexicans live and plenty of authentic ingredients are available ;)

the Puerto Nuevo-style lobster (incredible),

As in just over the border from CA in Baja?

Yeesh, the lobsters there were fished out by the early 80's and the cooking style was dropping them in oil..............must be a different Puerto Nuevo, common name.

Same Puerto Nuevo. 'Puerto Nuevo-inspired lobster' might have been a better choice of words, although I was a fan of the original style, before the town filled up with copycat restos.

The Los Cabos version is an improvement. I'm guessing the lobsters (spiny lobsters) are rubbed with a spice/herb mix, brushed with oil or butter, and cooked under a hot broiler. Best local lobster I've tried in Bangkok, regardless of the cuisine, for my tastes.

zaphodbeeblebrox, absolutely agree about the tortillas. But within the context of corn tortillas in Thailand, I think the three places I mentioned use the best available, as opposed to other spots where they're bordering on unacceptable, whether because of the source, the storage or the preparation. If you can only tolerate white corn tortillas, you'll have to give up eating tacos in Thailand ;)

Chandler, I appreciate certain dishes in most types of Mexican cuisine, and especially appreciate inspirational and innovative departures from traditional fare, eg Rick Bayless's famous carnitas de pato. Have I eever said I liked only authentic or traditional Mexican food? Your reading comprehension is getting rusty in retirement. :D

I went to the opening party of the new Tacos & Salsa on Soi 18 Friday night. The new spot is right at the end of the soi, about a 10-minute walk from Sukhumvit. The downstairs looks a lot like Jorge's second location, ie, simple chairs and tables and brightly painted walls. The second floor is a big improvement, more of a lounge feel, with a/c, Latin tunes, one or two sofas, chairs with cushions, and a separate bar. You can choose to eat on either floor. He also has a couple of tables outside, which works OK here because he's at the end of a dead-end soi, pretty quiet and relatively free of auto exhaust etc. It's right across from a small hotel which could become a steady source of customers. Friday night the place was filled with Mexican residents and loyal T&S fans.

Was good to see Corralejo tequila here, first time I've seen it at a bar in Bkk. Not cheap but a nice start to the evening. Smooth but complex ....

177_Corralejo_reposado_tequila_1171430024.jpg

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Seems to me I recall you ragging on La Monita because some of their menu is California style...and things weren't prepared in accord with the style to which you were accustomed.

I think rather it's your taste for good Mexican food that's getting rusty... if it was ever present to begin with... <_<

Chandler, I appreciate certain dishes in most types of Mexican cuisine, and especially appreciate inspirational and innovative departures from traditional fare, eg Rick Bayless's famous carnitas de pato. Have I eever said I liked only authentic or traditional Mexican food? Your reading comprehension is getting rusty in retirement. :D

I've been to Los Cabos, La Monita, Sunrise, Charley Brown's, Senor Pico and Miguels in CM (to mention some) - and basically like them all. :D

But since I'm not from anywhere close to Mexico, I should probably only post on topics about Norwegian food? :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Los Cabos, La Monita, Sunrise, Charley Brown's, Senor Pico and Miguels in CM (to mention some) - and basically like them all. :D

But since I'm not from anywhere close to Mexico, I should probably only post on topics about Norwegian food? :whistling:

I grew up on TexMex. I'm grateful for anything I can get, here. Although it has been decades since I visited one, Jack-in-the-Box's SuperTaco could be one tasty treat--even if it did line your arteries with concrete.

Same Puerto Nuevo. 'Puerto Nuevo-inspired lobster' might have been a better choice of words, although I was a fan of the original style, before the town filled up with copycat restos.

An interesting piece of trivia about Puerto Nuevo, Baja; the place located before Ensenada and near Rosarito Beach. It originally was a very tiny fishing village which had no official name at all. It came to be called Puerto Nuevo from the English translation of the giant Newport cigarette billboard that was along side the (then) new tollway (Ensenada Quota) at the exit to the village.

I haven't been down that way in years but I remember the sign was still there in the mid 80s.