Good Bar To Watch Football In Bkk

StevieH

can anyone recommend a decent football bar for sunday please? will be in BKK with father (city fan) and brother (fellow red) and want to watch the man city - liverpool match somewhere. cheers.

Stevie there are a ton of British Pubs that show football here. My suggestion is to give us an idea of what part of the city you will / prefer to be in and we can go from there.

Robin Hood - big many screens showing diffferent games

Bulls head - smaller pub, but nice

GUlliver's - crazily big, practically all sorts of games on different screens of varying sizes

Soi 8 - regular hangout of the TV footie boys. but may have to compete with if any rugby games on

staying in Prajatipatai Rd. Pra-Nakorn james. not far from the golden mount. i don't know bangkok all that well and have watched football in bars on khao san road previously, including gullivers. not sure that's the kind of bar i should be taking my old man to though. :o

Robin Hood - big many screens showing diffferent games

Bulls head - smaller pub, but nice

GUlliver's - crazily big, practically all sorts of games on different screens of varying sizes

Soi 8 - regular hangout of the TV footie boys. but may have to compete with if any rugby games on

Glad to see Ms Arsenal make an appearance finally after that thrashing on the weekend.... :o

The Londoner is good, so too is the Office on Soi 33.

i was talking Gullivers in Sukhumvit, not Gullivers in KhaoSarn

the one in KSR, you can only watch but not listen to commentaries.

all the bars I mentioned are in Sukhumvit area.

Robin Hood and Bull's head - Suk soi 33/1 (across from Emporium)

GUllivers - Sukhumvit Soi 5

Soi 8 - in Sukhumvit Soi 8 :D

by the way....pranakorn is my neighbourhood :D and I cant think of any bar I would go to to watch footie...not with your Dad and brother I dont think. theres some bars in KSR that show the games on big screens with commentaries and such, but the crowd just doesnt feel right?

ADD: haha @ mr jangles comment above. very true I must agree :o

will be in BKK with father (city fan) and brother (fellow red)

Your father is a wise man, it's a shame he couldn't keep his kids under control :o

at the time he was gutted mate but he's got over it now. he went to eastlands recently for the first time and didn't like it. not a patch on maine road he reckons. :D

will be in BKK with father (city fan) and brother (fellow red)

Your father is a wise man, it's a shame he couldn't keep his kids under control :o

at the time he was gutted mate but he's got over it now. he went to eastlands recently for the first time and didn't like it. not a patch on maine road he reckons. :D

Yeah i preferred Maine Road at first but i think that was just to do with history and habit etc. It didn't take me long to start to like Eastlands and i must admit, i prefer it now.

Silom area:

Irish Xchange - not sure if they have changed their name again though...they seem to do that about once a year :o but its in Soi Convent off Silom Road

oh gee, my memory is already starting to fail me....whats the one on corner of Thaniya called? O Reilly's?

Soi 8 should be fine this weekend as there is no rugby.

Alternative venue which us regular mob have been using of recent is

The Crossbar in Soi 23, opposite the Chockchai Steakhouse. 4 screens in the is bar, and football takes a priority.

Have a good weekend!!

The Londoner is always packed to the seams and is very popular. I hate it for that very reason.

Robin Hood is nice, a bit quieter. I've also been to Bourbon Street on a Saturday night and it was not too crowded. There are many, really.

Also, I think Irish Xchange is now called Molly Malone's or something.

Edited by Jimjim

I ended up checking out many of these suggested bars over the past few weeks and I wasn't overly impressed with any.

Soi 8 - Some regular wanted to watch the last 40 mins of a insignificant second half instead of putting on what I would of thought was the main game of the day.

The Londoner - Looked at one of the later games there and there was a band playing so no commentary.

Bulls Head - Ok, but not too much atmosphere as the TV I was looking at is kind of just stuck in the corner.

Robin Hood - Don't go back there as I hate when pubs advertise games and then turn them off at half time due to closing hour regulations. Why bother advertising the game if you're going to do that.

Hi guys,

Im down to bkk this weekend from chiang mai, is there anywhere that i will be able to see the man city - liverpool game on sunday, i know there is some sort of election going on and just wondered if anyone knew where it will be screened and also to be able to get a pint or 3.

cheers

thaimiller

Not sure which ones will be open and serving alcohol.

From past experience Soi 8 has always been open during all of closures over the past year or so. So that would be a good bet.

Not sure about the others, but I'm going to pop out for a beer this afternoon, so will try and get an update.

BTW, there is a new Sports bar between Suk 27 and 29, just past the Crown Hotel, it's called The Penalty Spot. Big place with lots of screens, although I'm not sure what it will be like regarding commentary for games etc, as they had a band in there on Wenesday night. It also appears to be tied in with Tilac bar, so there are plenty of 'hostesses' to take care. :o

so there are plenty of 'hostesses' to take care

This sounds like a good reason for me to pop in tonight and give you all a full report on Monday. Note to self, remember to explain this to wife tonight when I get, yes dear...in the name of research and service to my fellow man. :o

This sounds like a good reason for me to pop in tonight and give you all a full report on Monday. Note to self, remember to explain this to wife tonight when I get, yes dear...in the name of research and service to my fellow man. :D

James, according to one of my mates, he recognised a lot of the hostessess from Tilac. Of course, I had no idea :o

You may well spot me in there doing research as well!!

This sounds like a good reason for me to pop in tonight and give you all a full report on Monday. Note to self, remember to explain this to wife tonight when I get, yes dear...in the name of research and service to my fellow man. :D

James, according to one of my mates, he recognised a lot of the hostessess from Tilac. Of course, I had no idea :o

Alright mate, normally I would go on a Saturday night to catch United win, however with the alcohol ban due to some election, I will go tonight for one or two. How will I recognise you..by the warts?

James, according to one of my mates, he recognised a lot of the hostessess from Tilac. Of course, I had no idea :D

I'm glad I live in the sticks, that's all I can say :o

Alright mate, normally I would go on a Saturday night to catch United win, however with the alcohol ban due to some election, I will go tonight for one or two. How will I recognise you..by the warts?

Thee green skin!!

As it is, I know that there are going to be a few bars open this evening and serving alcohol.

Two friends of mine on separate visits to The Penalty Spot between Suk 29-31 have both come away with bad impressions of this place. The emphasis is on hassle from the girls to buy them drinks. This is not want you want from a pub or a "sports bar". The manager was also less than respectful and tried to get them to buy girl drinks. My mates had a better idea - they paid their bills and left!

This was not just a one off - it happened to two sets of people on separate occasions.

A friend of a friend mentioned this to one of the owners. His reaction was not what you would expect either. I don't know the context of the conversation but the owners attitude was if you don't like the bar then *&&* off!

So, although I was interested in giving this place a try I will now not bother. My friends are sensible expats & I trust their opinions.

p.s. there are very few true sports bars in bangkok. A lot of them will show all the games with commentary off. Others will turn the game off at HT & FT & put the music on. The Aussie bar on suk soi 23 tries to give you the game + commentary + feedback. If it is an obscure game that no one else wants to watch he will try & find you your own tele in a corner somewhere. Only problem is the bar is not well set out (shophouse) so privacy is difficult if you want to listen to your own game.

I know the Aussie bar you are talking about

last time I was there I had to watch the Rugby with the aussies for a while :D

was later then given the entire upstairs to watch Arsenal...my very own private space :D

plus a certain someone I know had some shoe incident around there that same evening :o

Two friends of mine on separate visits to The Penalty Spot between Suk 29-31 have both come away with bad impressions of this place. The emphasis is on hassle from the girls to buy them drinks. This is not want you want from a pub or a "sports bar". The manager was also less than respectful and tried to get them to buy girl drinks. My mates had a better idea - they paid their bills and left!

This was not just a one off - it happened to two sets of people on separate occasions.

A friend of a friend mentioned this to one of the owners. His reaction was not what you would expect either. I don't know the context of the conversation but the owners attitude was if you don't like the bar then *&&* off!

So, although I was interested in giving this place a try I will now not bother. My friends are sensible expats & I trust their opinions.

p.s. there are very few true sports bars in bangkok. A lot of them will show all the games with commentary off. Others will turn the game off at HT & FT & put the music on. The Aussie bar on suk soi 23 tries to give you the game + commentary + feedback. If it is an obscure game that no one else wants to watch he will try & find you your own tele in a corner somewhere. Only problem is the bar is not well set out (shophouse) so privacy is difficult if you want to listen to your own game.

Funny that you should mention the drinks issue in The Penalty Spot, I was speaing to a couple of people at the weekend, who had said very much the same thing. When I went in there during the week, I was with female company, so obvioulsy didn't get hassled. We suspected that the bar, was catering for the takeaway market, by the numberings and, one of my other mates mentioned that he had seen a couple of the girls before in Tilac.

Anyway, if the girls are aggressive then it will soon lose the sports fans. The Office on the other hand has never been a problem. I agree that Bradmans on Suk 23 is a pretty decent place, although they only serve bottled beer and the general layout isn't too great. I've got my usual haunts which more than cater for my sporting fixes of football, rugby and cricket. :o