Thai English Exam... Should I Help Sister-in-law?

Gumballl

My Thai sister-in-law (SIL) is seeking help with her English exam (take-home, multiple choice). I suspect she would not learn anything if I did the test for her (which is what I think she really wants).

What really irks me is the poor grammar used in some of the questions. Should I advise my SIL to make corrections, so that the Thai teacher can be taught a lesson or two as well? I do not know if the teacher would lose face in this situation, since he/she will only see the corrections in private, as opposed to in a public forum.

Btw, I think it is an accepted fact that the Yanks and the Brits have a slightly different take on our "common" language. I am one of the former, and I found the following exam statement to be strange. (Note the underlined words were obtained from one of the question choices; there was no question mark at the end of the statement).

--- Does he always have an egg for the breakfast.

The other choices were (a, a), (a, the), (an, an).

Yanks would not use the particle (definite article) "the" before the noun "breakfast". What about the Brits? I can understand that its use can be construed to be a form of acceptable English, but is it spoken/written this way by those fluent in English? I tend to think not.

Edited by Gumballl

Tell her to do it herself in pencil without any corrections for teacher, compare to other students answers, if there is a disagreement ask the teacher for the correct answer. That is how wifes niece did her take home tests. Your example of question and form is quite good compared to some that I have sread.

Traditionally, Thai teachers cannot be directly confronted with their own mistakes. It is nearly impossible even for a fellow teacher to correct her in public. Definitely not the role of a student to shame the teacher.

We have seen much worse than your example. An egg for the breakfast is good Thailish. But farang English teachers cannot agree if you can order three coffees. :o

My wife's cousin bought an English conversation book that was written by a Thai and the grammar was awful with errors on every other page. Luckily I was there to intervene but others will be thinking that they have learnt correct English.

Yanks would not use the particle (definite article) "the" before the noun "breakfast". What about the Brits? I can understand that its use can be construed to be a form of acceptable English, but is it spoken/written this way by those fluent in English? I tend to think not.

If you are a "native" English speaker, I'd like to give you a kick before the breakfast. In actual fact, it should be.......If you are a "native" English speaker, I'd like to give you a kick before the breakfast. This is not a difference between American & English as there should not be a grammatical difference since both groups supposedly speak English.

1] multiple choice exams are a "gamble" (& a partially useless way of testing language ability).

2] you should not get involved with anothers exam.

3] Thai teachers will not handle "loss of face" at all (as mentioned by PB).

4] if your wife/GF/sister-in-law does not do the exam herself, how will it help her?

5] there are enough lies within the Thai education system already without you adding to it.

I was given a book to review by one of my student to make sure that it is "correct" English. The book, "English This Short Way", was written by a Thai professor with the following qualifications (print in front of the book) M.A. (English) ..M.A. & Ph.D. (Linguistics).

Here is one fine example used in the book. There are many more but I did not have time to look at the whole book.

1. Do you mind if you will dance with me?

2. Let's invite you and your family to the wedding

3. It's right to the parliament, isn't it?

(this is translated as " Is this the right way to the parliament?"

I recommend this book to everyone. I'll be buying it just to have examples to show to prospective students why a Thai/Non-native should not teach upper level English.

If you are a "native" English speaker, "I'd like to give you a kick before the breakfast." In actual fact...

Langauge - huge fun, context is all. Mike, Jane and Simon are standing outside a restuarant in the morning, they are hungry:

Jane says, "Who will give the toast at the breakfast?"

Mike replies, "I don't know, but they will need good luck there's so many people..."

Simon intrupts, "I'll do it!"

Jane responds to Simon with a warm smile, "I'd like to give you a kick before the breakfast."

Mike corrects her, "...it should be a punch and kick for being so quick..."

- later -

Simon stands, taps a spoon on the side of a tea cup, "Ladies and gentlemen if you will up standing for the toast at this wonderful Wedding Breakfast, I give you the bride and groom; Jane and Mike...."

OK I've bent the context a little, but I agree the original useage was incorrect.

There is a Thai English teacher at my place of work who supposedly has a degree in linguistics, which he obtained from a university in Sydney (Australia). He insists upon calling the letters of the alphabet, "alphabets". For example, he will say that the Roman alphabet has 26 alphabets. :o