Consular Section Of Us Consulate To Close

Mapguy

Any reason given for the closing ???

No reason given.

Seemed strange that there is no reason posted. Only thing I can think of is that the closure dates are just before and just after the US elections. Maybe everyone is going back to vote. :o

Also wish to thank Mapguy for the info.

They are positioning for the postings change. Junior ambassador and staff jobs in "good" countries are prized election kick backs.

I have 10 years of Military service that tempts me to take a Civil Service job so I can roll those years over and buy into the Government pension plan. I would take a huge pay cut from my engineering consulting job if the Civil service would hire me and post me in chiang mai! "Don't throw me in that briar patch"!

They are positioning for the postings change. Junior ambassador and staff jobs in "good" countries are prized election kick backs.

I have 10 years of Military service that tempts me to take a Civil Service job so I can roll those years over and buy into the Government pension plan. I would take a huge pay cut from my engineering consulting job if the Civil service would hire me and post me in chiang mai! "Don't throw me in that briar patch"!

I suspect that nowadays, the regular civil service pension is FERS, which only grants one percent a year for federal service. Still, it is a nice briar patch. However, I know nothing about State Department jobs, or the Foreign Service. Yet I suspect that the jobs below Consul General or chief of a big section would not be political appointees.

Hello, GK.

Where did you get your information that the closing is due to "positioning" for "kick back" postings? I am serious, by the way, not trying to be sarcastic or cynical. However, I do find it disheartening that public servants (as far as servicing US citizens) will be unavailable because of positioning for a political assignment, so to speak. And if your information is reliable, will all of these public servants still be on payroll during the this time?

When I worked at another federal agency, the IRS, only one of the 105,000 employees was a political appointee - the Commissioner, who now is given a six-year term extending beyond the next election. Surely ambassadors are often appointed, but I think the Thai ambassador (properly addressed as Mister, not Your Excellency) is a career diplomat. I find the rumour surprising. Remodeling makes more sense.

If it has to do with the election, the new president will not come into office until January, so that wouldn't make sense unless you're saying Bush is doing that right before he leaves office. Thailand is considered a hardship posting by the State Department I believe, as it's not a fully modern country, but I guess some would like to be there as they realize it's not like some African countries and they get a higher salary where the money goes further than a place like Europe. How many American staff are there in the Chiang Mai consulate? I was all ready to join the program a couple of years ago and then decided not to do it. I may do it later when I can help choose were I'm posted by acquiring more language skills.

• 2 weeks later...

And they have changed their telephone number!

"Effective Wednesday, October 8, 2008, the main telephone number for the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will be (66-53) 107-700, (053) 107-700 (within Thailand)."

• 3 weeks later...

I have my ballot to vote via email and have downloaded it. My best understanding now is that it has to be faxed to the given US polling station in said email. I hear that usually you could actually drop it off at the US Consulate. Any word about whether this is possible at some proxy place at the moment ? I passed by there by chance 2 days ago and it looked as if ppl were queuing up for services. Not sure though as watching the market n roundabout traffic more closely. How are others getting their votes in in CM ?

Depends on your local home state registrar re: faxing.

Very inconvenient that the US Consulate is closing precisely during the most looked at, and hotly contested presidential election in decades.

If I was a conspiracy wacko (I'm not) I would see dark sinister forces in play... :o

There are many online websites detailing how to get your vote in....Google it, my friend.

I voted beginning of Oct via mail absentee ballot to Clark County, NV.

Have contacted the Embassy and learned that they will accept absentee ballots for faxing provided you have the SPECIFIC number it must be sent to. And only some states allow this anyway. I'm lucky CA does. Also, I notice that besides my ballot, I must send the REQUIRED 'Standard Oath' page, and the 'Identification Envelope' so that they know who I am and that it's all certified. Without these 2 docs they will not be counted when received. K. August at the consulate advises ppl to get their documents in to him asap before 4 pm today, 11/4.