Connecting Nokia 3110 To The Net

Richb2004v2

Unfortunately the GPRS service on the True network is not very good. They have very little EDGE coverage, meaning that most of the time you're stuck with the slower GPRS service which will give you roughly the same speed as a dial up modem.

A much better option for internet access would be to get an AIS or a Dtac pre paid simcard. Both companies offer almost nationwide EDGE coverage, netting speeds of between 80 and 200 kbps (from double to 5 times faster then dial up).

Both companies will have internet access working out of the box, but you will get charged 1 Baht/minute of access. You can however subscribe to packages, with prices between 3 and 8 Baht/hour! Make sure you have enough credit loaded on your simcard, then give a ring to the respective call center and they can activate a package suited to your usage needs.

Unfortunately the GPRS service on the True network is not very good. They have very little EDGE coverage, meaning that most of the time you're stuck with the slower GPRS service which will give you roughly the same speed as a dial up modem.

A much better option for internet access would be to get an AIS or a Dtac pre paid simcard. Both companies offer almost nationwide EDGE coverage, netting speeds of between 80 and 200 kbps (from double to 5 times faster then dial up).

Both companies will have internet access working out of the box, but you will get charged 1 Baht/minute of access. You can however subscribe to packages, with prices between 3 and 8 Baht/hour! Make sure you have enough credit loaded on your simcard, then give a ring to the respective call center and they can activate a package suited to your usage needs.

Thanks for that. A couple more questions:

If I want to try with the TrueMove sim what do I do? My wife called a service number and a recorded message told her that the my Nokia 3110 Classic can not do internet which I know is not true.

Can I buy one of these Sims from 7-11 and do I just ask for Dtac/AIS Sim?

Is there any kind of device I could use to permanently house the AIS or Dtac Sim, so as not to have to keep changing Sims in my phone?

Monty, thanks for that.

Can I be a PITA and ask you for a link to the DTAC packages which you referred to?

:o

Sorry, no links, their websites (both Ais and Dtac) are a nightmare to navigate and over half the stuff is only in Thai :D

Easiest is to call their call center and ask. They do speak good English. I know with Dtac you can get 1 week unlimited for around 250 Baht, or you can get a 100 hour package for a fixed amount (think it is 400 Baht or so).

AIS offers a bit more options, from 3 hours/month up to 250 hours or so.

If I want to try with the TrueMove sim what do I do? My wife called a service number and a recorded message told her that the my Nokia 3110 Classic can not do internet which I know is not true.

No idea on true, never used them!

Yep, 49 Baht gets you a simcard, get a refill card at the same time. The thing will work straight away. If you don't get internet access straight away, call their call center and they can SMS you the proper settings

Is there any kind of device I could use to permanently house the AIS or Dtac Sim, so as not to have to keep changing Sims in my phone?

Yes, there are dedicated GPRS/EDGE modems available, which you can stick into a USB port.

segm-520_LRG.jpg

They are however more expensive then buying another Nokia phone :o

Obviously the 3110 Classic does have GPRS and Edge capability:

http://www.jaymart.co.th/product_and_servi...Brandname=Nokia

So can't see why you couldn't use the Internet on that model.

Just before I switched to DTAC, I tried True Move GPRS. I signed up (on my prepaid sim) and was told that they charge by the Kilobyte (12 satang). That doesn't sound a lot, but if you load a 100 KB picture (I exactly did that) and my call deposit was 12 baht lower ....

Now I have a Fun Pack from Dtac (in combo with half price call package) where I pay THB 200 for 30 hours(together with 300 sms and 30 mms). I did use it only 4 hours last month.

You can connect your Nokia 3110C to your PC via IR, mini-USB cable or BlueTooth then use it as a dial-up modem. You should be able to connect to TrueMove's GPRS network now just to get a feel for performance.

I'd echo the other recommendations to stay away from TrueMove for mobile data; as mentioned they have little/no EDGE and have on-going "all-you-can use" promotions which means that everyone is getting poor performance.

Maybe get a really inexpensive hand-set to use for voice on TrueMove and use your 3110C for data on 1-2-Call or DTAC. Talk to neighbors to see which networks works best for them, provided you will be using the service primarily from a single location. I use One-2-Call pre-paid for both voice and data; I have found EDGE to be 100% available in the northm northeast, east and south and pay 107 baht for 25 hours. AFAIK DTAC still does not have 100% coverage but as long as you are in a relatively populated area it should be available.

http://mobile.truelife.com/Appdata/GPRSMain/54/54_1.asp

http://www.dtac.co.th/eng/package/internet_sim.html

http://www.mobilelife.co.th/mobilelife/t/c...rs_package.html

Edited by lomatopo

Not sure if the following is relevant, but a Thai friend of mine just started using his new 3110C (with True Move sim, as it happens) for occasional internet access - and he uses Nokia PC Suite........ free download from the Nokia website. PC Suite includes a set-up wizard which makes configuration easy - usually.

I just bought a Nokia 3110 Classic and use with DTAC sim card for internet access. Great promotion right now-- 99 baht for 40 hours a month*. Just using a normal pre-paid card, they take the 99-baht fee out of the baht you've already added to your phone time.

*after 3 months, it goes down to 20 hours/month

Using the Nokia phone as a modem with the Nokia PC suite is dog-nuts simple.

Connect the phone to the computer, USB or Bluetooth...although I dont know why anyone would use Bluetooth for this, unless you do not have the cable and do not want to buy one (khee niouw :o )

PC Suite should pop up, show you are connected.

Then click the "Connect to the Internet" button, globe with two arrows.

That is it, no futzing with setting up a connection on the PC.

---------

TrueMove (Orange) is slow compared to AIS...I have not used DTAC, but have heard it is comparable or better than AIS.

Rich, assuming that you have been using the TrueMove SIM for voice for a while and do not want to miss calls, just put Call Forward Unconditional ("Forward All Calls") on the True SIM to the AIS/DTAC SIM, then plug in your DTAC or AIS SIM. No need to swap back and forth. Then transition your friends/family/etc over to using your new number.

If you really want to keep the old number and not do as above, go to Tesco-Lotus or any number of other places and buy another 3110c, use it as your modem.

Having used an AirCard for about 2.5 years (now has been deactivated), I would not recommend going that route. The phone using GPRS/EDGE (hopefully 3G someday soon :D ) will give you the same or better speeds, the device (phone vs aircard) costs less, is useful in its own right as a standalone phone, and you will have connectivity anywhere you have a signal...not so with the aircard.

Edit: fingers faster than brain...

Edited by mgjackson69

I am moving to CM for a few days each week and the landline people are not very helpful. I do not own a mobile phone and have been thinking maybe I should so I could have the internet there as well as at home?

How much is the 3110c?

Colin

I am moving to CM for a few days each week and the landline people are not very helpful. I do not own a mobile phone and have been thinking maybe I should so I could have the internet there as well as at home?

How much is the 3110c?

Colin

Just bought one, last Monday, at JayMart Pinklao for THB. 3,500... Looks nice phone and good value for money.

But yet, to procrastinated to configure it ; I am still visiting internet-cafe to check my mail when I am away from home!

Did all that except actually buy the 3110c 'phone (3490 in Chiang Mai). Went home to try the Nokia PC Suite and all I could get was a message that either my computer or my operating system will not support it....

I bought Win XP off a mate who was going back to the UK so I would not be at all surprised if it is pirated, the Service Pack did not work either.

Luckily my nephew chased up the 'phone company today and they say they can install a 'phone next week so all is not lost...

Colin

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Richb2004v2' date='2008-10-03 09:33:08' post='2251811'

Make sure your wife explains to True that you have the Nokia 3130 Classic and not the old Nokia 3110 which could not do GPRS.