Over Use Of The 'boing' Noise!

Richb2004v2

I have been at a very large department store in my home town back in Europe. No music, almost no announcements, nothing, but full with shoppers. I instantly thought, that this would be impossible in Thailand.

Thailand is a very loud country. From advertisements on Thai TV to Tesco Lotus nonstop boings all the time. Thais do not realise that. They are noise resistant, on the contrary, noise is a kind of sanuk for them...and the industry knows that...

So, if you prefer quite surroundings, you have to keep that in mind.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was one of the first things I noticed here, on the tv, and it drives me crazy too..so irritating I have trouble having those shows on around me, you would think the sophisticates in the television media would have done away with it , I think the 1950's was probably when it was last used in the west, but what can you do except accept that its different here?

Yes, I have trouble being in the same room when Thai TV is on. It is all, without acception, so bad. The sound effects are terrible.

...right, the sound effects are terrible, but the acting in soap operas is really much worse. I think 90% of TV members could act better without any preparation. Worst of all is the unbelievable plot.

Can't watch soap operas or series longer than 3 minutes.

"So they have two different "boing" noises, but apparently only one guy dubbing all male voices in farangmovies? "

Try listening to the Thai dubbed cartoons and you will notice the short list of 'dubbers' in this country. Same voices for every cartoon, even when they are supposed to be child voices, they are the same-same adult Thai dubbers speaking in a higher pitched voice. I know them all, as my kids play cartoons all day long..........worse than the 'boing'!!!!

"So they have two different "boing" noises, but apparently only one guy dubbing all male voices in farangmovies? "

Try listening to the Thai dubbed cartoons and you will notice the short list of 'dubbers' in this country. Same voices for every cartoon, even when they are supposed to be child voices, they are the same-same adult Thai dubbers speaking in a higher pitched voice. I know them all, as my kids play cartoons all day long..........worse than the 'boing'!!!!

Be thankful you're not in Vietnam where all the western movies in the theaters are dubbed by ONE WOMAN who does EVERY character (unconvincingly, even on the women's parts)!

I noticed the over the top dramatic male voice in every dubbed western movie too. It is atrocious and at least as annoying as the boing.

I think noise of any sort is quite possibly appreciated by Thais. I was in a mall today too and wondered if they would appreciate some peace and quite, but concluded that maybe they wouldn't. I don't see who benefits from having various different PA systems blasting out conflicting noise all at the same time.

Wonder if I can geet a ring tone of the 'boing'?? would raise a lot of eyebrows in the superstores!!

Yes you can. There's two different ones here. The 2nd one sounds the most annoying.

http://lyrics.ringophone.com/Boing!-ringtones.html

:o

Caveat Emptor! You might be taken for a Thai Soap Opera star, and mobbed!

If the mob should be a bevy of stunners, a boing sound might not be from the ring tone.

Yes you can. There's two different ones here. The 2nd one sounds the most annoying.

http://lyrics.ringophone.com/Boing!-ringtones.html

:o

So they have two different "boing" noises, but apparently only one guy dubbing all male voices in farangmovies?

:D

Seriously what is up with that guys voice it's as if not more annoying than the boing. I asked someone about it once and they said it was sexy??? I use the voice sometimes at work when I speak Thai and always gets a laugh same as "thuk tong na khap"

I've never heard another Thai speak like this guy. It seems we all know the voice! It is irritating but also amusing when he provides the voice for a teenager. I have also noticed that he provides the voiceover for most dubbed animal documentaries.

• 1 year later...
It was one of the first things I noticed here, on the tv, and it drives me crazy too..so irritating I have trouble having those shows on around me, you would think the sophisticates in the television media would have done away with it , I think the 1950's was probably when it was last used in the west, but what can you do except accept that its different here?

Yes, I have trouble being in the same room when Thai TV is on. It is all, without acception, so bad. The sound effects are terrible.

When I read your original post, the first thing that went through my mind was ......Boinggggg :)

Woudl you prefer KERPOW or KABOOM instead??? BOIIIINGGGG! :)

Well the target audience has roughly the same mentality and age, kerpowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, holy batmobiles, it was cheesy then but aimed at kids, oooooooooooops same same

Here we go...the 'boing noise' thread. Almost 2 years old now :D

"Boing" is actually very infectious. The wife and I use it to each other when either one of us does something silly.

I find "you stupid cow" easier :D:):D and her the same in Thai Kwaiiiiiiiiiii

I can't stand Thai humour and the boing noise is just one more irritant. It certainly IS over used. That is why I choose NOT to have a television in my hotel room. I REALLY hate it when they play that crap on those long distance bus rides where you are a captive audience. But, being forwarned is being forearmed and I can make allowances for it... like bringing ear phones and my own music.

Of course, I also realize that I'm in a foreign country and have to put up with what is considered "funny" here. The benefits outweigh the negative stuff. There are thousands of terrible programs on North American Television. Fortunately, we can usually find something worth watching. And, if not there are also movies to rent. I have a big screen in my Canadian home and yet for 6 years did not even subscribe to cable TV. I only changed recently because I like to watch certain sporting matches and it is cheaper to subscribe to cable than go to the pub to watch a game.