Over Use Of The 'boing' Noise!

Richb2004v2

The Looney tune stupid background sounds seem to have been phased in within the last 5 years.

My Thai wife lived in England for over 20 years and when she is watching that embarrassing amateur crap on Thai TV, I ask her how on earth can she enjoy watching that stuff after 20 years of TV viewing in England? I never get a direct answer.

Now here is something that makes watching this crap really enjoyable. Occasionally there are Thai soap operas broadcast that the story line is set in the past. I love these because it’s real fun spotting all the errors and becomes a game. For example there was one show that was meant to be a true story about a Doctor in 1954 who murdered his wives. Great fun, especially when one of the characters was driving about in a VW a model made in 1976 and as the camera panned across one of the room entrances in the house, I could see a computer sitting on a desk.

Another example was this soap opera about a Thai family who immigrated to England. Not one house had carpets, only ceramic tiles, Thai style windows and air conditioning. It was obvious that it was in Thailand. When I point out these errors to my wife, she says, go away, but I love it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too can't stand the 'boing' noise.

In isolation it works as a gag in itself, but this grotesque overuse is another example of the sensory overload that is considered not just acceptable, but almost a requirement of any kind of 'show' in this country. I guess part of it is the 'more is good' mentality - if it's funny once , then it will be just as funny every other time you hear it. So this is 'boing as self-contained joke'.

The other theory is 'boing as trigger' - I think the 'boing' roughly translates as:

'We've just said or done something which we think is funny and now you're supposed to laugh'

If the 'boing' is in fact being used in this way it shows:

1) A lack of confidence in the writer's own material that every gag should be bolstered by a 'boing'.

2) Utter contempt for the audience who evidently need to be told when to laugh.

I think we're now at the stage where TV production companies are in fear of leaving out the 'boing' in case the shows come across less funny. They would certainly be less noisy, and if 'more is good', then 'less (of anything) must be bad'. The 'boing' definitley wasn't around 10-15 years ago.

I'd really like to know if Thai people ever get sick of it. I wish some Thai person could clarify all this.

If the majority of Thai people don't mind it, then I withdraw my accusations forthwith.

By the way, I fell on my ass earlier today. BOOIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!! (boing as trigger)

FIRST PRIZE WINNER: BEST "BOING" CULTURAL ANALYSIS

Indeed you are not the only one, I was reading something while OH was watching television - from the sound effects and sqeaky voices I assumed it was a cartoon, turned out a 'propper' adult soap opera, <sigh>!

But the 'over' use of a stock sound effect is common, have you never watched a movie and thought, "..I've heard that EFX before..." The Wilhelm Scream and Red Tailed Hawk.

Interesting link.

In isolation it works as a gag in itself, but this grotesque overuse is another example of the sensory overload that is considered not just acceptable, but almost a requirement of any kind of 'show' in this country. I guess part of it is the 'more is good' mentality - if it's funny once , then it will be just as funny every other time you hear it. So this is 'boing as self-contained joke'.

The other theory is 'boing as trigger' - I think the 'boing' roughly translates as:

'We've just said or done something which we think is funny and now you're supposed to laugh'

1) A lack of confidence in the writer's own material that every gag should be bolstered by a 'boing'.

I think we're now at the stage where TV production companies are in fear of leaving out the 'boing' in case the shows come across less funny. They would certainly be less noisy, and if 'more is good', then 'less (of anything) must be bad'. The 'boing' definitley wasn't around 10-15 years ago.

I'd really like to know if Thai people ever get sick of it. I wish some Thai person could clarify all this.

If the majority of Thai people don't mind it, then I withdraw my accusations forthwith.

By the way, I fell on my ass earlier today. BOOIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!! (boing as trigger)

While I agree with most of what the guy says here, I don't think us westerners can adopt a superior stand here. What's the difference between the boing and the canned laughter dubbed into shitty US and UK sitcoms?

While I agree with most of what the guy says here, I don't think us westerners can adopt a superior stand here. What's the difference between the boing and the canned laughter dubbed into shitty US and UK sitcoms?

Thats very true, and a good observation, but whilst the canned laughter is annoying it isn't on every program and isn't found on game shows, chat shows, cartoons as well as adult drama. I think the only format that is boing free here is the news.

No difference. The same cultural analysis applies to the example you just mentioned. It's a face-saving move to compensate for material that really isn't that funny. [someone hold up "APPLAUSE" sign, please...]

Edited by toptuan

Don't get me wrong - i hate the boing too (see earlier posts).

But coming from a country where the cultural icon of the 1990s (and significant component of ADULT prime time saturday night TV) was a giant green puppet called Mr Blobby who lived at a place called Crinkly Bottom, I don't feel I have too much intellectual high ground to play with.

I think the only format that is boing free here is the news.

OMG...I hope your post doesn't give anyone any ideas! :o

I did hear some loud "POPs" on the news this morning. Oh, excuse me..those were tear gas cannisters.... :D

I think that adding a "booiiiinnnng" sound effect to news coverage might alleviate the negative aspects of a report.

This morning, fr'instance, I was watching the doom and impending gloom of the European financial markets crashing on the BBC, and it almost ruined breakfast. It really could have done with a few jolly sound effects to cushion the impact a little; "Stock markets crash all over Europe!" *booiiiinnng!* "Iceland declared bankrupt!" *pennyflute-rimshot* etc.

I've included a boing sound effect here to add to your own browsing pleasure. Yer welcome. :o (3 dedicated boings included).

A whole miasma of dorky sound effects here.

boing2.wav

Edited by kmart

I've included a boing sound effect here to add to your own browsing pleasure. Yer welcome. :o (3 dedicated boings included).

A whole miasma of dorky sound effects here.

Thank you, I now feel properly "BOING'd" for today--without even turning on the telly!

Don't get me wrong - i hate the boing too (see earlier posts).

But coming from a country where the cultural icon of the 1990s (and significant component of ADULT prime time saturday night TV) was a giant green puppet called Mr Blobby who lived at a place called Crinkly Bottom, I don't feel I have too much intellectual high ground to play with.

Did you have to bring that up :D You have really reduced my feeling of superiority now. Do you mind going back and deleting your post, just to put us back to where we were before. Anyway it was only about 50% of the UK population watching that program, and I for one Sir was not one of them. :D

Edited to add:

It was a large pink Mr Blobby, or so a friend told me. I wouldn't know. :o

Edited by Richb2004v2

Far from wanting to seem superior, it is only the respect I have for the viewing Thai public which makes the 'boing' seem all the more patronising and contemptuous. The one thing that is puzzling is that it has so saturated the airwaves across genres and time slots. That's why I'm thinking now that either most Thai people actually like it - in which case it's not patronising and all is forgiven, or they've adopted the 'mai pen rai' attitude - in which case everyone silently moves a shade closer to madness each time they get boinged.

Regarding canned laughter, that too is well out of order. Laughter (canned or otherwise) cannot usually be considered to be a 'self-contained joke' like the 'boing' can. Thus it's role must solely be that of trigger. Add to this the fact that laughter (unlike the 'boing') would widely be accepted as an appropriate response to someone trying to be funny, and we'd have to conclude that canned laughter is not just a more subtle form of trigger than the boing, it's also more devious.

I don't even like it when there's a live studio audience in a sitcom. Part of the experience of enjoying a joke is the initial realization that it is in fact funny. If this realization is being done for you by whatever method, surely you're missing out on a good laugh.

• 5 weeks later...
I find the use of strange noises on Thai TV very annoying. They seem to love the 'Boing' noise the most. It is used every few minutes on many game shows and even chat shows. Recently I have noticed it is even featured in the Internet sites that my wife uses, and today I heard it a dozen times on the radio. There are other frequently used noises but the 'Boing' seems to be the favorite. Boing, boing, freakin' boing all the time!! :o Is it me or has anyone else noticed this? :D

Maybe it is time you moved back where you came from,because you piss and moan on every topic

And this comes from idiot who piss and moan about thai dubbed movies?

LMAO!

The TV in general drives me completely nuts, I pity the general population who are "dumbed down" by the elite ruling class with this crap TV. I know that Thai students who were living in a rental property of mine in the UK were usually glued to Discovery and other educational programmes on terrestrial TV and when we discussed it they said that they had nothing like it in Thailand.

Boing !

I threw my (UK) TV out two years ago. Sometimes I go stay with a friend with cable and run through seventy-of channels and find nothing worth watching.

When the show MASH was originally shown in the UK they did not include the laugh-track that was included in US transmissions.A few years ago the BBC ran an anniversary episode with the laugh-track and it was a completely different show, unwatchable. :o

Okay, if we're going on to annoying tunes you hear in shops, then I'd like to submit the person responsible for that diabolical psuedo-operatic 'Cherry-Berry' song (available at all consumer-loathing branches of Tesco Lotus), as an ideal candidate for early retirement. Without pension. Or access to sunlight.

Thank you for mentioning this supermarket aural assault. It may drive me to go postal one day. Is it sung in Thai or English. I can never make it out, but it brainwashes me whenever I hear it (ie on every trip to Lotus AND Big C in Pattaya).

As regards the cretinous standard of most Thai TV programming, I once raised this with a friend of mine who works in the Thai media in Bangkok and he said most of the Thai TV-watching public live in small rural villages and towns. They are poorly educated and the media has to pander to the lowest common denominator to fulfill its entertainment function, grab viewers and - of course - sell advertising. Hence the crap. Harsh but seemingly true.

Besides, if the Thai elite ever decided to EDUCATE the masses, using TV as a medium, where would Thailand be then! (erm...)

Sorry - a quick Anecdotal PS - I never let my Thai wife watch TV if i am in the room. I go elsewhere. And I am scathing about it for all the reasons articulated above.

Earlier this year we were back in the UK and one of the funniest and wittiest TV programmes (IHMO) was on - Have I Got News For You. Explaining how superb and funny it was, we settled down to watch it, and unfortunately that &lt;deleted&gt; Brian BLessed was hosting it doing his usual thoroughly irritating roaring and over-belly laughing and generally sending himself up in that pantomime way he has.

After a while of this, the noise of which was even pissing me off, my wife turned to me and said, somewhat triumphantly "and you think Thai TV is bad". I didn't have a riposte.

Different cultural perspectives, innit.

Yea, the 'boing' makes me go 'boing' too

Wife wonders why i can't be in a room with Thai TV on, 'boing boing'.

Another equally annoying noise is the backwards whistle.....hard to spell but it sounds sorta like 'sweeeoup'.

Wonder if I can geet a ring tone of the 'boing'?? would raise a lot of eyebrows in the superstores!!

Mostly learned to turn it off along with the many other anoying sounds that they love, but do agree with an earlier post of Tesco's blasting, never ending commercials on the loudspeakers. It makes me wanna get out asap.

Yea, the 'boing' makes me go 'boing' too

Wife wonders why i can't be in a room with Thai TV on, 'boing boing'.

Another equally annoying noise is the backwards whistle.....hard to spell but it sounds sorta like 'sweeeoup'.

Wonder if I can geet a ring tone of the 'boing'?? would raise a lot of eyebrows in the superstores!!

Mostly learned to turn it off along with the many other anoying sounds that they love, but do agree with an earlier post of Tesco's blasting, never ending commercials on the loudspeakers. It makes me wanna get out asap.

The Sound Effects budget seems to run to about 5 Baht in most local productions.

Just wait until Christmas when you'll get the 130dB chipmunks-on-speed renditions of Christmas Carols in the supermarkets and malls. "Jinga-bew, jinga-bew, jinga awda way" etc. It will make you want to place screwdrivers in front of your eyes and go run at a wall... :o

Since I dont understand Thai very well, I need the BOING noise to know when to laugh and the REVERSE WHISTLE to know when something is sarcasm, ironic or taking the piss. :o

Have to admit its really annoying especially when someone is doing it LIVE when you're having dinner.

Never going back to Vientienne restaurant again because of that. A bloody comedy routine with all the sound effects and in Thai too, when all the freakin patrons were not Thais.

Another annoying noise I happened upon recently is at my local DVD stall in the mall. They play a short 30 second to 1 minute audio movie trailer over and over on a continuous loop at deafening volume. It has the effect of making me browse the selection as quickly as possible before getting what I want and moving away. It doesn't seem to bother the girl working n the stall though.

Just last night, I had noodles at an outdoor stall near which they set up a small television for patrons to watch. My back was to it, and at first I paid no attention. Eventually, I began to notice all the "boing" "backwards whisltes" and a multitude of other supposedly "funny" sound effects. The sounds were really crammed together, nonstop. I assumed it was a Tom-and-Jerry type Looney Tunes cartoon. When I turned around...wrong! A popular Thai soap opera. :o

Edited by toptuan

It was one of the first things I noticed here, on the tv, and it drives me crazy too..so irritating I have trouble having those shows on around me, you would think the sophisticates in the television media would have done away with it , I think the 1950's was probably when it was last used in the west, but what can you do except accept that its different here?

Yes, I have trouble being in the same room when Thai TV is on. It is all, without acception, so bad. The sound effects are terrible.

haha I'm glad someone brought this up. What's more annoying though the boing or the over acting when one LIGHTLY smacks another on the head and you then get the oooiyyio and rubbing of the head as if they were hit by a hammer? Let's not forget to mention the constant whines or screaming from the nightly Thai soaps. We have seperate TV rooms at home so the wife can watch her shows without my comments :o She isn't into watching anything where following the story is required to understand the film.

Yes you can. There's two different ones here. The 2nd one sounds the most annoying.

http://lyrics.ringophone.com/Boing!-ringtones.html

:o

So they have two different "boing" noises, but apparently only one guy dubbing all male voices in farangmovies?

:D

Seriously what is up with that guys voice it's as if not more annoying than the boing. I asked someone about it once and they said it was sexy??? I use the voice sometimes at work when I speak Thai and always gets a laugh same as "thuk tong na khap"