Thaksin And Pojaman Apply For Asylum In England

george

Interesting that he did this step AFTER the Arrest of Chamlong Srimuang!

Any Connections here?

Wonder if the coincidence isn't with the appointment of Peter Mandleson, to the Brown government. He was the chap who was "alledgedly" involved in fast tracking citizenship for the Hinduja brothers after they "donated" 1 million pounds to Mandleson's millenium dome project

Yes, but Taksin is offering frozen shrimp as payment

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update:

Thai PM: No problem on extradition of ex-premier Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said here Monday he would not obstruct any plan on extraditing ousted, fugitive prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from Britain to stand trial in court on graft and corruption charges.

Mr. Somchai, also defence minister, said he still had no knowledge of Mr. Thaksin and his wife Pojaman having applied for political asylum in Britain as reported by the press.

It's a blatant lie, what do these people think who they are?

Asked whether the Thai government would request extradition of the former prime minister from the British government as the court has issued arrest warrants for the couple, Mr. Somchai, a brother-in-law of Mr. Thaksin, said everything has to follow judicial process and that he would not obstruct or help anybody. The couple fled to Britain after attending the opening ceremony of Beijing Olympic Games in early August.

In reference to the revocation of the diplomatic passport of Mr. Thaksin, a sensitive issue for the Thai government in which Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said earlier that the matter is rested with the prime minister's decision, Mr. Somchai said he would ask the secretariat to the prime minister about its progress.

Doesn't need a fortuneteller, there simply is no PROGRESS, because he never gave the order!

Mr. Somchai, however, denied accusations that his government had adopted a double standard on taking legal actions against Mr. Thaksin and retired Maj-Gen. Chamlong Srimuang, a core leader of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who was arrested Sunday on several charges including insurrection.

It's obvious!

He said Gen. Chamlong was apprehended in line with an arrest warrant issued by the court. Gen. Chamlong is among the nine PAD core leaders charged with insurrection after the group's members and supporters seized Government House, the office of the prime minister, as well as several ministries and state agencies on August 26 in a bid to oust the government which it accused of being a proxy of Mr. Thaksin.

Not "accused", they are!

Police on August 27 issued arrest warrants for nine of the group's leaders on charges of insurrection, conspiracy, and illegal assembly on the part of more than 10 persons and refusing orders to disperse. The warrants imposed on the nine leaders spelled out serious criminal charges punishable by death or life imprisonment. To date, two of the nine leaders have been arrested by police.

-- TNA 2008-10-06

"charges of insurrection, conspiracy, and illegal assembly on the part of more than 10 persons and refusing orders to disperse"

Wow! Where is the "treason" charge gone?

An what a harsh penalty "Death or life imprisonment" what should be the penalty then for forming a gang, intruding the government and robbing the state blind?

They should go to Canada if Brits won't have them, Rakesh Saxeena has been "fighting" extradition for 10 years living in the lap of luxury and still operating stuff..google it, will make you weep.

His lap of luxury is a two bedroom apartment and consulting job over the Internet, basically spamming people with his "newsletters". He can't travel and he can't leave Canada.

I suppose asylum status would severly affect Thaksin's travelling options, too. Let's see if he can survive through winter there without hopping off to Bali or Hong Kong.

It was a lot more interesting when girls burnt bras to protest.

Wonder how we can email the Home Office to register our shock and horror? Not that they will pay a blind bit of attention, I guess HM Inland Revenue are rubbing their hands at the percentage they will make on the 3 billion baht profit on his sale of Man City coz I would somehow doubt any of that will get back to Thailand. Seriously though it may start an element of anti British feeling which we can do without, maybe we should email HE the Ambassador in Bangkok ???

This is a good idea, I googled FCO UK and bitched about this, if enough people complain we might get some action.

Lets fight back,Its time the rich and powerful payed for their crimes

I tried the email address provided earlier: [email protected] but it bounced back.

I've written to the embassy, tried a letter to the times and will try other means too.

Thaksin in the UK, for good ? Please tell me our government has more sense than to give it to him.

Saddam Hussein was hanged for his part in the death of Kurds and yes, the numbers were large, but in principle, isn't Thaksin guilty of something similar in his purging the country of 2,000 drug dealers etc ?

My "facts" are sketchy, but my point is sound. How can we condone the hanging of one political leader and then entertain the idea of providing political asylum to one who is similar and wanted for serious tax evasion ?

I tried the email address provided earlier: [email protected] but it bounced back.

You can send as many e-mails as you like - it wont do any good.

I've written to the embassy, tried a letter to the times and will try other means too.

Again, waste your time sending as many letters as you want - it wont do any good.

Thaksin in the UK, for good ? Please tell me our government has more sense than to give it to him.

If you read & understand the asylum laws, you'll understand that Thaksin has excellent grounds for asylum. You should also remember that the UK is a fully signed up member to the European Convention of Human Rights - this prevents the UK government sending anyone back to where they may face torture, or inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Whilst he's got the money to hire the best lawyer available - he would only need a half decent one.

Saddam Hussein was hanged for his part in the death of Kurds and yes, the numbers were large, but in principle, isn't Thaksin guilty of something similar in his purging the country of 2,000 drug dealers etc ?

Saddam Hussein & Thaksin are two very poor comparisons, but, had Saddam Hussein managed to escape to the UK, whilst he would have faced justice somewhere, he would not have been sent back to hang.

My "facts" are sketchy, but my point is sound. How can we condone the hanging of one political leader and then entertain the idea of providing political asylum to one who is similar and wanted for serious tax evasion ? Read the points above.

I'm amazed at the histrionics being shown on here over Thaksin. Anyone who's concerned about the UK asylum policy should be more worried about the freeloaders, especially criminals, from countries such as Somalia who are actually a threat to UK society. Because of the human rights act, the government can't even deport certain terrorists, but that's another story.

As for those threatening to burn their passports - I can't believe that a genuine UK citizen, would seriously consider burning their passport, over Thaksin being granted asylum.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

In a sense you have a point.It was the worst of Thaksin's crimes.

Now ask yourself why the PAD leadership never mention it.

Thaksin has sold Manchester City making in excess of £50 million (GBP). That amount will undoubtedly be enough to ensure his self sufficiency in the UK.

Last year he was allowed entry, the allegations had already been made, however, the UK admitted him. I think any application will be treated sympathetically by the UK Govt.

Well I hope he paid tax this time, the British government needs all the cash it can get at the moment.

I think you wrote off PAD as fascist already, so why bother with questions?

Better ask yourself why British government doesn't pay any attention to it.

In Thailand at least there's an effort to investigate his role, led by Kraisak.

Incidentally the first PAD leader was arrested after leaving Kraisak's house.

It is both unreasonable and unfair to lambaste the UK government over the claim for refuge. Anyone can claim refugee status and it is up to the officials to determine the merits of the case. In the event that the decision is contested, it will be appealed via the courts. It would then be the impartial members of the judiciary that would ultimately decide.

If anyone here believes that Mr Thaksin & his wife are murderers or guilty of crimes, then they should bring their concerns to the refugee board. Refugee status can be denied if it is shown that the claimant is guilty of murder or genocide. It is easy to accuse people of crimes, but fortunately the rule of law applies in the UK. I am greatful that the UK still tries to uphold that concept, even when it causes embarrassment. That's one of the the cost's of espousing the concepts of justice.

Edited by geriatrickid

Oh, it's alright then, unless Thaksin can be convicted or crimes agaisnt humanity in the UK courts, he's innocent as a child. Conviction in Thai courts wouldn't matter, they are politically biased and compromised, even on straightforward tax evasion cases. How convenient.

I'm not sure that you should call it application of the rule of law, certainly not from the point of view of several thousand dead.

I do consider the PAD leadership has some fascist characteristics, but you are right.It's a word bandied around too easily.

As to the drug war crimes you've got it the wrong way round.It's for the Thai government to make the case to the UK, very pertinent since Thaksin has apparently applied for asylum now.Could the silence on the Thai side possibly be because there is all manner of embarrassing evidence incriminating high and low.Perish the thought.

It was a lot more interesting when girls burnt bras to protest.

Wonder how we can email the Home Office to register our shock and horror? Not that they will pay a blind bit of attention, I guess HM Inland Revenue are rubbing their hands at the percentage they will make on the 3 billion baht profit on his sale of Man City coz I would somehow doubt any of that will get back to Thailand. Seriously though it may start an element of anti British feeling which we can do without, maybe we should email HE the Ambassador in Bangkok ???

This is a good idea, I googled FCO UK and bitched about this, if enough people complain we might get some action.

Lets fight back,Its time the rich and powerful payed for their crimes

Actually they do pay for their crimes in cold hard cash. As for the poorer in society..they go to gaol.

I was so overjoyed when House of Lords, Law Lords, (No-one really understood the legalese of their announcemet, and when it sunk in I was so proud, to me it was Britain standing tall) put the knockers on Pinochet, Equally distraught after he was released after being coached in the symptons of Mental Illness.

Edited by desertrat

Thaksin still hasn't been convicted of anything, you know.

I wonder if most of Thaksin's money is still frozen in Thai banks accounts, and how long it will be before the courts order it turned over to the government.

Edited by Bruce1

As to the drug war crimes you've got it the wrong way round.It's for the Thai government to make the case to the UK...

What are you talking about? The UK is not going to ask for Thailand's opinion on this, let alone "counter apply". It's entirely UK's decision, Thailand has got nothing to do with it.

As for official Thailand stand on this - what do you expect from Thaksin's sister and brother-in-law?

I do consider the PAD leadership has some fascist characteristics, but you are right.It's a word bandied around too easily.

As to the drug war crimes you've got it the wrong way round.It's for the Thai government to make the case to the UK, very pertinent since Thaksin has apparently applied for asylum now.Could the silence on the Thai side possibly be because there is all manner of embarrassing evidence incriminating high and low.Perish the thought.

Don't bother to argue with the professional PAD propagandists on this forum. They are not here for constructive dialogue. It's best to ignore them and, in so doing, treat them with the same contempt that they, as less than 10% of the nation, treat the remaining 90% of ethnic Thais. They want absolute control of their minority over Thailand and nothing else. One-man, one-vote is anathema to them. They didn't like (the 'traitor to the sons of China'') Thaksin because Thailand under his rule was a bit too DEMOCRATIC for the People's Alliance for DEMOCRACY. The PAD's "platform" consists of platitudes and name-calling, not unlike the tactics used by the Nazis.

I like Thaksin...

its my opinion as all of these comments are.. "OPINIONS"

So I respect UK/England/GBR... for honoring his request...

With the way the government is here now... They need him back... (my opinion)...

He is a business man... and he ran the country in this way, as PM's who were Military run their campaign's as Military Dic_tat_ors... and PM's where were farmers ran their campaign's as a farmer... now who's to say who has done the best or who has done the worst? Its just a measuring stick, all are soiled.

"Gary Glitter" should go back to UK to carry on his activities there... since he is a "UK'an"... Now he's a felon, a monster to the whole society around... its not a bout a few pounds put in the pockets.

that's my 2 pounds n lyres and Euros...

Thaksin still hasn't been convicted of anything, you know.

I wonder if most of Thaksin's money is still frozen in Thai banks accounts, and how long it will be before the courts order it turned over to the government.

I don't believe that Thaksin was so stupid to keep most of his money in a Thai bank, would you if you were him? :o

Don't bother to argue with the professional PAD propagandists on this forum. They are not here for constructive dialogue.

If you have proof, that any particular poster on TV is a paid professional, might I urge you to report them to the mods, for appropriate action to be taken ? It wouldn't help the fair balance, of the forum, to have paid posters here.

And if you don't have any such evidence, isn't it a flame, to call them professional propagandists ? :o

Back on-topic :-

SamuiJens, the money currently frozen in Thai accounts, is approximately half of the total, which Thaksin has been reported to have ammassed, although these numbers may have been altered by the global financial problems. So it is a sizeable chunck of change.

One wonders whether, as part of his bail from the courts, he or his family-members had to post a bond, which has now been taken by the courts following his their having done-a-runner ? Anybody have the facts on this ?

Don't bother to argue with the professional PAD propagandists on this forum. They are not here for constructive dialogue.

If you have proof, that any particular poster on TV is a paid professional, might I urge you to report them to the mods, for appropriate action to be taken ? It wouldn't help the fair balance, of the forum, to have paid posters here.

And if you don't have any such evidence, isn't it a flame, to call them professional propagandists ? :D

Back on-topic :-

SamuiJens, the money currently frozen in Thai accounts, is approximately half of the total, which Thaksin has been reported to have ammassed, although these numbers may have been altered by the global financial problems. So it is a sizeable chunck of change.

One wonders whether, as part of his bail from the courts, he or his family-members had to post a bond, which has now been taken by the courts following his their having done-a-runner ? Anybody have the facts on this ?

So what is a sizable amount? I don't know so I ask! :o

As to the drug war crimes you've got it the wrong way round.It's for the Thai government to make the case to the UK...

What are you talking about? The UK is not going to ask for Thailand's opinion on this, let alone "counter apply". It's entirely UK's decision, Thailand has got nothing to do with it.

As for official Thailand stand on this - what do you expect from Thaksin's sister and brother-in-law?

Do try and think a bit more clearly or at least acquire a smattering of international law.Of course it is for Thailand to take the initiative on the drugs war offences and present the UK with the evidence dossier.As for the official stand I agree Somchai's not likely to do much but the junta's puppet government wasn't inhibited by family ties.What did they do? Sod all.And do we know the reason why? We certainly do. Cut out the hypocrisy Plus.

Do try and think a bit more clearly or at least acquire a smattering of international law.Of course it is for Thailand to take the initiative on the drugs war offences and present the UK with the evidence dossier.As for the official stand I agree Somchai's not likely to do much but the junta's puppet government wasn't inhibited by family ties.What did they do? Sod all.And do we know the reason why? We certainly do. Cut out the hypocrisy Plus.

Well YH that wont go anywhere. Nobody in Thailand wants the drugs war dirty laundry aired in any internatuional public place. It did occur to me that if a British national had been offed in the war that a claim may have been launched in the country but I doubt any of the relatively poor dead were foreign passport holders. I am also sure the British government are fully aware of the HRW and Amnesty reports and may even find them distasteful, however I doubt that in the legal consideration of amnesty appeals that even reports by such august bodies as these carry any weight. I still think the amnesty appeal is not such a slam dunk although violence on the streets probbaly makes it a tad easier right now.

Also, apparently (I think it was according to HRW) the first draft of the drug war report named the politicians who egged the police on in the drug war, but the names were removed after the last election result became clear.

Well YH that wont go anywhere. Nobody in Thailand wants the drugs war dirty laundry aired in any internatuional public place. It did occur to me that if a British national had been offed in the war that a claim may have been launched in the country but I doubt any of the relatively poor dead were foreign passport holders. I am also sure the British government are fully aware of the HRW and Amnesty reports and may even find them distasteful, however I doubt that in the legal consideration of amnesty appeals that even reports by such august bodies as these carry any weight. I still think the amnesty appeal is not such a slam dunk although violence on the streets probbaly makes it a tad easier right now.

Also, apparently (I think it was according to HRW) the first draft of the drug war report named the politicians who egged the police on in the drug war, but the names were removed after the last election result became clear.

Hammered

I'm sure you are right that many don't want the background to the drugs war exposed.That would include people, some very highly placed, who though not direct participants gave covert and on the record support.Nevertheless this is the only one of Thaksin's alleged offences that prima facie could lead to his extradition.Some say that the current crisis is all about Thaksin yet the elite don't even discuss the one charge that has a fighting hope of getting him back in handcuffs.Repeat it's not even discussed.How can one take seriously the indignation of Sondhi,Chamlong, Uncle Tom Panlop and all if they won't press a charge which could cause a little embarassment to a few pooyai.

In reference to the revocation of the diplomatic passport of Thaksin, a sensitive issue for the Thai government in which Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said earlier that the matter is rested with the prime minister's decision, Somchai said he would ask the secretariat to the prime minister about its progress.

you best ask real soon, Somchai... time is running out...

Thaksin gets his red passport back

The Foreign Ministry has reinstated the diplomatic passport of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, a high-level source in the ministry said yesterday. The renewal of the red passport was made less than two weeks after Thaksin's fomer legal adviser and close aide Noppadon Pattama was appointed Foreign Minister.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Feb2008_news05.php

The clock is ticking... 2 weeks from the date of their appointment, this administration if it is to act with equal vigor, is October 9th. (being generous at granting a full 2 weeks instead of "less than two weeks")

only 11 days until October 9th...

Abhisit wants PM to lift Thaksin's red passport

Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva called on PM and Defence Minister Somchai Wongsawat to quickly revoke the diplomatic passport of ousted PM Thaksin Shinwatra, who is now living in exile in Britain. According to Mr. Abhisit, the legal process is there for the government to lift Thaksin’s diplomatic passport, and this would be one way for Somchai to show his integrity as Prime Minister.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130960

only 2 more days, Somchai

1221751074.jpg

Somchai and his wife at either end and a gaggle of Shinawatras in between...

October 9th came and went without any action... hard to imagine that the do-nothing administration of Samak was still more pro-active than Somchai's.... but yet it appears it was...

Thaksin's passport must be seized by British govt if allowed to stay

BANGKOK, Oct 12 (TNA) -- The British government must seize the passport of Thailand's ousted, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra if he and his wife are granted political asylum and stay in Britain, according to a senior member of the opposition Democrat Party.

Kasit Pirom, currently shadow deputy prime minister for the Democrat Party, said Thaksin is now considered under British government protection after he had filed for political asylum although it is still under consideration.

A British newspaper reported last Monday that Britain's Home Office had confirmed that Thaksin and his wife Pojaman had applied for political asylum to remain in that country.

The couple left here in early August and attended the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Beijing. The couple then departed for London after skipping bail and failing to report for court hearings on corruption charges, prompting the court to issue arrest warrants.

Mr. Kasit, former ambassador to Washington, said Thaksin must refrain from using Britain as springboard in attacking Thailand while his passport and other important documents must also be seized by the British government to ensure that he would not travel outside of Britain.

He said the Thai foreign ministry along with immigration police and the interior ministry must consider documents relating to Thaksin's request for political asylum in Britain to be sent by the British government later. The Thai agencies must inform the British government that if it allows the ousted premier to live there, and that he must not use Britain as a springboard for attacking Thailand.

Thaksin to surrender diplomatic passport

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to return his diplomatic passport to the Foreign Ministry to ease the pressure on his brother-in-law, PM Somchai Wongsawat, a source close to him said yesterday. Thaksin had already informed his brother-in-law of his decision, but has not set a date for the return of the passport, according to the source. One possible date would be Oct 21, as the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions will hand down a verdict on the Ratchadaphisek land case in which Thaksin and his wife, Potjaman, are defendants, the source added.

Thaksin and his wife are seeking political asylum in Britain. The two and their children have been living in self-exile in London since fleeing Thailand in August. They both jumped bail and warrants for their arrest have

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/131008_News/13Oct2008_news04.php