The Mexican Food Poll

What's the best Mexican food in Thailand  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let me see what can i do, for the moment lets start with

15 % off for any Thaivisa member (7 days a week from 11 am till late) applicable in the full bill (single or for group)

Notice that soon I am preparing a tacos Sunday special "Taquiza" with good prices and more taco filling options, plus the other promotions I have been opening, such as Teachers night on Fridays (two free drinks with the order of food) and Ladies night on Saturdays (two drinks fro free with the order of food) both from 8 pm till late

In order to keep record I would need to make a "thaivisa" members list

So please feel free to send me a email with your names to

Best regards

Are you doing taquiza tomorrow (sunday)?

Hola,

Not, I am sorry for this Sunday, but i will not do it since i have to train my staff in order to offer some more taco variations, i ma preparing about 10 different sort of tacos, including the ones I am already have. I have learn that we have to care about the quality of the food and service, so, in order to make it properly, i will work on it all this week and by next Sunday i will have it ready.

Thank you for asking and please receive my apologizes.

Cheers

Jorge

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low prices and a 15% discount. ,makes me wish i lived in bangkok. Personally i have tried many of the restaurants recommended on thaivisa and i think the glowing recommendations may have raised my expectations too high. When i visited the recommended places I did not feel it lived up to the hype or was worth the price.

Any way good luck and i hope you survive long enough for me to make it to bangkok to give you a try.

Ho;a dear friend,

Thank you for your interest

Yes, it is very hard, but we have to make it, it is one of those sacrifices that worth.

Anyway, i will keep working very hard in order to survive :-)

I hope to see you some day back to Thailand

Happy New Year

Best regard

Jorge

Dear friends,

Please feel free to download this flyer and print it, you can print it in color or black and white and you can copy this flyer three times in a A4 paper, the you can keep it, give it to your friends or family and come to Tacos & Salsa, the you will get the 15% discount with just showing it, or ask for the Breakfast or Lunch promotion.

With this promotion the blue section will be collected by the staff, but anyway you can still keep the rest and come back as many time as you want to get the 15% or print it all again.

But, even if you don't want to print it, you can still come to T&S and say that you know us from ThaiVisa website and you will get 15% any way.

I hope to see you soon

Happy new year

Best regards

Jorge Bernal

post-73993-1231010665_thumb.jpg

Jorge. What comes on the set lunch? Thanks. We'll come next Sunday for sure.

Hi Rick,

How are you?

The Breakfast set come with the following items:

1. Soup (chicken or tortilla)

2. Salad

3. Breakfast dish (Mexican style eggs, "Huevos Rancheros", Mexican style tuna with eggs or Mexican fired rice "Thai style"

4. Fruit salad

5. Fresh fruit shake

6. Coffee or tea

The Lunch set comes with the following items:

1. Soup (chicken or tortilla)

2. Salad

3. Any of the main dishes

4. Dessert (Flan or fruit salad)

5. Soft drink

6. Coffee or tea

Note: This set are only for the special promotion in the coupon which cost 210 B, but I will let my staff to also include the TaiVisa members on it in case that you don't have it.

I know that the other Mexican restaurants also have a 199 B Lunch set promotion, but I haven't check what they include, but i think that my is very generous hehehe and my intention is to get more people to come to try my food since I am very new here.

Hope to see you soon

Cheers

Jorge :o

post-73993-1231091412_thumb.jpg

Ate there on New Years Day. Wasn't what I hoped for. We were the only customers. Service was very slow. Pork Tacos were very greasy (ate 1, left the other). Mexican rice was rice with corn. Frijoles were pretty good. Salsa was OK, but nothing great. Liked the chips. My buddy said his Enchiladas were good, but he waited almost 30 minutes for them to come. Probably won't be back.

Ate there on New Years Day. Wasn't what I hoped for. We were the only customers. Service was very slow. Pork Tacos were very greasy (ate 1, left the other). Mexican rice was rice with corn. Frijoles were pretty good. Salsa was OK, but nothing great. Liked the chips. My buddy said his Enchiladas were good, but he waited almost 30 minutes for them to come. Probably won't be back.

Good to know that

Thanks for the feed back

Cheers

hi There

Is has been great to meet you here

I should not been giving so many explanations about what we are doing in Tacos & Salsa, as i said early. we just trying to make the difference sailing mexican food that actually come from mexico, were i am from and grow up.

Some one ask complain that the Mexican rice had corn, yes, it has, like it could have carrot, green peas or potato. Then corn, as we many now, comes by origin from Mexico and central America, and it is a main ingredient in the food in Mexico and North, Central and South America. so i don't se what is wrong with having corn kernel in a fresh home made like food.

As well as the Salsa, so far, and after been adjusting it, we have no complains for it, actually most of our costumer as very happy with those, one of the reason is because are daily fresh made and we don't need to add any preservative and keep in in bottles. As you probably know, most of the varieties of chillies are come originally from Mexico where are ha been use for cooking and as a medicinal remedy fro years before the Spanish arrived to the coast of Veracruz. Then, thanks to the Spanish and principally Portuguese traders, the chilly has been brought to Asia where become quickly a main ingredient of the Asian food such as Korean, Philippine, Some parts of China such as Sichuan and Thailand. The chilly sauce has many varieties depending of the region and ingredients, even the family traditions. So there is not a bad or good sauce, they are just different.

Regarding the Pork and other meat we use. We are compulsively care about the quality, we use only lion pork or beef stake and chicken breast with no fat and skin to make our fillings and that is one of the reason that we don't use minced beef or pork that contains 20% of fat on it and it is 30 % cheaper that the stake. The grassy that our friend refers above is because the cheese that is applied to the taco, which, even if is not much it has natural fat on it.

Regarding the service. Please accept our apologize and we make sure that it wound happened again and even if you wound be back i hope that you notice the difference we making with our food and we are always happy to have you back knowing that there are many choices for eat mexican food out side Mexico and USA.

Best regards

T&S

I think the quality of the cheese is as important if not more than the meat you use. Are you using NZ cheese or USA? When I lived in BKK, I found that using the NZ cheese was not nearly as good as using something like a Tilamook Cheddar from the USA. Obviously, there are cost considerations involved.

Not complaining about your salsa. It it were for sale in BKK, I would buy it. In the USA, I would not. I realize you're trying to make good salsa in Thailand, not Mexico and ingredients can be hard to come by. So your salsa is good for where it's made.

I give you an A+ for trying to bring good Mexican food to BKK. It's not easy and no other restaurant has been able to really do it. I wish you the best of luck, Amigo.

Gracias

I think the quality of the cheese is as important if not more than the meat you use. Are you using NZ cheese or USA? When I lived in BKK, I found that using the NZ cheese was not nearly as good as using something like a Tilamook Cheddar from the USA. Obviously, there are cost considerations involved.

Not complaining about your salsa. It it were for sale in BKK, I would buy it. In the USA, I would not. I realize you're trying to make good salsa in Thailand, not Mexico and ingredients can be hard to come by. So your salsa is good for where it's made.

I give you an A+ for trying to bring good Mexican food to BKK. It's not easy and no other restaurant has been able to really do it. I wish you the best of luck, Amigo.

Gracias

I agree that most cheese available in Thailand is not as good as other cheeses found in western markets (not sure why you mention cheddar, when Manchego, Anejo, Contejo and Asadero can be bought in the U.S. I have nothing against cheddar, but it's not a Mexican cheese).

There is no reason for salsa to be significantly different in Thailand. All the ingredients are readily available for either fresh or cooked salsas in Thailand, although the quality of tomatoes and chilies may not be quite as good as those bought in markets in the U.S.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

There is no reason for salsa to be significantly different in Thailand. All the ingredients are readily available for either fresh or cooked salsas in Thailand, although the quality of tomatoes and chilies may not be quite as good as those bought in markets in the U.S.

Thai tomatoes SUCK!

I've eaten at T&S around a dozen times now. Service has always been prompt and friendly, and the food satisfying. Love the frijoles a la charra. People's tastes vary obviously, but for for me the three salsas at T&S taste better, on average, than the salsas at most Mexican restaurants in the USA, and as good as many I've tried in Mexico.

Mexican rice, like Spanish rice, is often prepared pilaf style, with the addition of carrot or peas, sometimes corn. Example There's also a rice dish that specifically calls for corn, arroz con maiz, popular along Mexico's Gulf and Caribbean coasts, also in Puerto Rico, Dominica, etc.

Just ate there - had a combo with 2 taquitos, 1 burrito, and 1 quesadilla, all beef.

The beef was totally devoid of color - ie. white - that was definitely not steak. The quesadilla was the same size and price as the burrito, the taquitos obviously smaller, all with exactly the same amount of beef in it - which obviously isn't right.

The salsa (well, the typical tomatoes and onions one) was quite nice. Could barely taste the other two and frankly I wouldn't know if they were good anyhow as I am not a big salsa connoisseur.

The guacamole was not bad, but the color was awful.

I guess this is all authentic so the only comment I can make is that it wasn't what I would normally look for in the US, and I haven't eaten at many, if any, Mexican restaurants there.

The short answer is - would I go out of my way to go there, no. Would I stop in if I happened to be in the area - probably not.

If you like salsa - I'd say that Tacos & Salsa's versions were better than Sunrise - but for everything else, I'd go to Sunrise, both on taste and value for money.

Dear friends

Tomorrow Sunday January the 11th evening i will be making Chorizo and tacos al pastor as part of the training process for my staff, So I will have Tacos de choriza, Choriquezo, Tacos al pastor and "diablo prawn tacos" I hope to see you there and have a try, I would like to hear your opinion.

Cheers

T&S

Dear friends

Tomorrow Sunday January the 11th evening i will be making Chorizo and tacos al pastor as part of the training process for my staff, So I will have Tacos de choriza, Choriquezo, Tacos al pastor and "diablo prawn tacos" I hope to see you there and have a try, I would like to hear your opinion.

Cheers

T&S

I love tacos al pastor. I hope you add them to your menu. Next time I'm in Bangkok. I'm definitely dropping by.

pastor2.jpg830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

"Some of the dishes at Tacos and Salsa are tasty, but their salsas suck IMHO. They are processed into a baby food like consistency with hardly any flavor at all. "

Agree. Those salsas are not nearly as good as what I've had in New Mexico, Arizona or Lo Cal (SD).

But not unlike what you find in Mexico, where milled salsas quite common, in fact virtually any taco stand has at least one. Guacamole is usually that consistency in Mexico as well. What most gringos call 'guacamole' they call ensalada de guacamole. Gringos aren't used to it, it's baby food to them cuz they're babies when it comes to real Mexican cuisine :o Just joshin'.

Got curious about the beans and rice after reading posts here, so stopped off at T&S again last night and had the enchilada plate. The place was packed out. Best frijoles refritos I've eaten outside Mexico. Miguel's in Chiang Mai as well as Sunrise Tacos in BKK need to study up on beans, as at both places the refritos suffer by comparsion. Tasty beef enchiladas (the ground beef was dark brown; if yours was white perhaps you were served chicken by mistake) topped with excellent asadero-style cheese. Plus the rice with corn - first time I'd tried it at T&S - was perfect. A friend ordered guacamole, bright green and delicious, with chips. If yours was off you were unlucky as this must be the four time I've had the guacamole at T&S and it has always been fresh. Or maybe I'm just lucky, but I doubt it. Jorge really takes pride in his menu.

Between this place and Sunrise a few blocks away, Bangkok has certainly come up in the world of expatriated Mexican cuisine.

Tasty beef enchiladas (the ground beef was dark brown; if yours was white perhaps you were served chicken by mistake)

No mistake, I looked at it very closely, plus I ordered in Thai so there was no room for error.

But now I know what happened - you ate all the steak, so I got stuck with whatever they had left :o

If yours was off you were unlucky as this must be the four time I've had the guacamole at T&S and it has always been fresh.

Fresh it was, I said it tasted okay but looked sickly. I certainly wouldn't have a problem eating that guac again but I wouldn't go out of my way to order it - Sunrise's looks better but tastes similar and I don't go out of my way to order that either.

Maybe the wrong person was doing the cooking, who knows - it was about 4 in the afternoon. But there is no way I will return for that - just as when I saw Mamacita's offerings at the Loft I didn't bother because they didn't look that great. Probably should've tried it in retrospect but the prices were too high to justify the small portions.

While I am no Mexican food connoisseur, as I said, I still know what good Mexican food should look and taste like, at least from the perspective of someone who lived in LA for many years.

Actually, I just saw you said "ground beef" - which in fact was what I had expected, and didn't get.

I got a few small strips of beef in every item. Ground beef also doesn't go as white as beef without blood.

Edited by onethailand

Tasty beef enchiladas (the ground beef was dark brown; if yours was white perhaps you were served chicken by mistake)

No mistake, I looked at it very closely, plus I ordered in Thai so there was no room for error.

But now I know what happened - you ate all the steak, so I got stuck with whatever they had left :o

If yours was off you were unlucky as this must be the four time I've had the guacamole at T&S and it has always been fresh.

Fresh it was, I said it tasted okay but looked sickly. I certainly wouldn't have a problem eating that guac again but I wouldn't go out of my way to order it - Sunrise's looks better but tastes similar and I don't go out of my way to order that either.

Maybe the wrong person was doing the cooking, who knows - it was about 4 in the afternoon. But there is no way I will return for that - just as when I saw Mamacita's offerings at the Loft I didn't bother because they didn't look that great. Probably should've tried it in retrospect but the prices were too high to justify the small portions.

While I am no Mexican food connoisseur, as I said, I still know what good Mexican food should look and taste like, at least from the perspective of someone who lived in LA for many years.

Actually, I just saw you said "ground beef" - which in fact was what I had expected, and didn't get.

I got a few small strips of beef in every item. Ground beef also doesn't go as white as beef without blood.

Hi, I am agree with you disappointment, I I am suggest you, if you want to know more about Mexican food and expose your opinion, that you first better, documents your self a bit more about what is Mexican food and actually, what is Mexico it self as a country, culture and traditions. Mexico is not like in LA at all not even close, LA have many cultures mixed and not only Mexican, even if there al a big Mexican community, a lot of them even have travel to Mexico and just know Mexican food from what their parent have told them and prepare at home, plus the fact that the Mexican food has been adapted to the North American taste. for example, I can make a chilly sauce in the restaurant because not one can eat it, it will be to spicy, so I leave it at home for my personal taste. I ma personally eat more spicy than that people and I don't add sugar to the food, because it taste weird to me. but it doesn't means that thai food is weird or bad. I love thai food because i have try many dishes and I am still discovering new ones all the time and I eat at the food stall instead of the the restaurants, because the food is much tastier in the food stall and more authentic that the food in the restaurant that target mainly tourist where the thai food could be in some cases awful.

One of my best pride is that i had a some (very few) Mexicans (from Mexico) costumers and they even say that the food is just like in Mexico and some are actually better. And I am proud to say that since that most of my costumers (majority USA citizens) appreciate plus many japanese, Philippines and even Indians like it. The few thai costumers that have come to have been there because I know them or some one have brought there. And one of my priorities is to target the local taste bringing them some thing original, not just one more.

You can go to Sunrise Tacos or Coyote or Mamasita or any other Mexican food restaurant, it is fine, everybody have choices, including my self.

And i have join this group because I have seen people that are very interested in know what a real Mexican food is, and I will improve it day by day because of them. and that is my commitment with T&S. I didn't open the restaurant for just make money, which actually all goes back to my Thai employees and I am happy to take care of then, as well as training them sharing with them some thing that is very new in Thailand, some of them didn't even know where Mexico was. and I am happy for that.

The ground beef tacos you where expecting, are available in any other "Mexican" food restaurant, but you will don find is in T&S because we just don't eat tacos like that, instead we eat "picadillo" or "albodigas" in tacos or tostadas and which the nearly future I will add to the menu.

Best regards

Dear friends

Cheers

T&S

I love tacos al pastor. I hope you add them to your menu. Next time I'm in Bangkok. I'm definitely dropping by.

pastor2.jpg830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

Yes, I will add them little by little, at the moment I don't have the "trompo" (griller) but that is not problem, I am already try them as well as some close friends and partners and their a just like fromt he "trompo"

For the moment I am planing those specials once a week and then depending of the demand I will include them in the regular menu.

By the way, if you stop by, I suggest you to try the beef alambre and the "chicken Tinga" tostadas (eat them by hand) you will love them

Cheers

"Some of the dishes at Tacos and Salsa are tasty, but their salsas suck IMHO. They are processed into a baby food like consistency with hardly any flavor at all. "

Agree. Those salsas are not nearly as good as what I've had in New Mexico, Arizona or Lo Cal (SD).

Well, i guess that you are in the wrong topic discussion.

The members here are talking about Mexican food Mexico is located just on the south of New Mexico, Arizona and California. and It takes two fly to get to Mexico city, so I think that you are too far away from what Mexican food (authentic) is from.

As I said, I don't doubt that it's authentic, nor am I a Mexican food connoisseur - all I know is what I eat in LA, which is obviously a bit adjusted for American tastes.

That being said - I don't think the beef was of the right quality even for Mexico. I am assuming I was served what was supposed to be carne asada - but the beef was of very poor quality. The salsas were fine, the guacamole was perhaps poor in color because I suppose you use local avocados - but taste was okay.

I hope you will continue to improve the product - note that I didn't try just one, but THREE products - four if you include the guacamole. I think you should have a word with whomever cooked today's meal - they ought to know who, plus you should have the receipt marked with a ThaiVisa 15% off (much appreciated) - and ask them where the beef came from and why the portions were so tiny. I would say that the total amount of beef in two taquitos, a quesadilla and a burrito was less than a quarter of a pound, or 115 grams if you like. The guacamole was a decent size portion though so in the end the meal was of reasonable size.

One more thing - if you're going to advertise beef/chicken/pork - perhaps you should indicate that there is ground seasoned beef as well as carne asada. I automatically made an assumption which turned out to be wrong (though I happen to like a decent carne asada as well) - I only asked for beef, and was not asked which type of beef I would prefer.

Hi, I am agree with you disappointment, I I am suggest you, if you want to know more about Mexican food and expose your opinion, that you first better, documents your self a bit more about what is Mexican food and actually, what is Mexico it self as a country, culture and traditions. Mexico is not like in LA at all not even close, LA have many cultures mixed and not only Mexican, even if there al a big Mexican community, a lot of them even have travel to Mexico and just know Mexican food from what their parent have told them and prepare at home, plus the fact that the Mexican food has been adapted to the North American taste. for example, I can make a chilly sauce in the restaurant because not one can eat it, it will be to spicy, so I leave it at home for my personal taste. I ma personally eat more spicy than that people and I don't add sugar to the food, because it taste weird to me. but it doesn't means that thai food is weird or bad. I love thai food because i have try many dishes and I am still discovering new ones all the time and I eat at the food stall instead of the the restaurants, because the food is much tastier in the food stall and more authentic that the food in the restaurant that target mainly tourist where the thai food could be in some cases awful.

One of my best pride is that i had a some (very few) Mexicans (from Mexico) costumers and they even say that the food is just like in Mexico and some are actually better. And I am proud to say that since that most of my costumers (majority USA citizens) appreciate plus many japanese, Philippines and even Indians like it. The few thai costumers that have come to have been there because I know them or some one have brought there. And one of my priorities is to target the local taste bringing them some thing original, not just one more.

You can go to Sunrise Tacos or Coyote or Mamasita or any other Mexican food restaurant, it is fine, everybody have choices, including my self.

And i have join this group because I have seen people that are very interested in know what a real Mexican food is, and I will improve it day by day because of them. and that is my commitment with T&S. I didn't open the restaurant for just make money, which actually all goes back to my Thai employees and I am happy to take care of then, as well as training them sharing with them some thing that is very new in Thailand, some of them didn't even know where Mexico was. and I am happy for that.

The ground beef tacos you where expecting, are available in any other "Mexican" food restaurant, but you will don find is in T&S because we just don't eat tacos like that, instead we eat "picadillo" or "albodigas" in tacos or tostadas and which the nearly future I will add to the menu.

Best regards

Hola

After I have spend the whole night reading you in other forums, am so happy and thankful to all of you for the effort of bringing good Mexican food to Thailand. I am also grateful to all the Mexican food restaurant for been my source of food for all this years that i have been living in thailand and for their inspiration, I thought that I was the only person that crazily go to the firsts Mexican food restaurant that I find on my way, so I have try all of them and I am also respect their effort.

I open the business after all this time of search of "soul" and I have cook at home for me, my girlfriend and many friends before i decided to do what i am doing now.

I have a couple of partners, on this.

And I am looking to expand a bit the business, so I am looking for new partner or investors that also believe in what we are doing. So if you are one of them or know any one interested please feel free to eMail me to

I am open for the critics and I am sorry if some times my English does not let me express my self as I wish, but I very appreciate all the comments, critics, news, information and encourage that all of you have made in order to have an authentic Mexican food. i am fully understand now how difficult is to have real Mexican food out side Mexico and the United States. But it is possible and all of you have help me to stan and keep working on it, I know that I have my limits as a business and I cannot compete wit the big chains or the long time established restaurants since I just open six month ago, but I hope that we will put our name on the list with out honest work and full time effort to bring you the best of the food from where I am from.

I have lear so much now thanks to all of you and I repeat THANK YOU SO MUCH

So, today as part of the plan to include few new dishes, I will be at Tacos & Salsa preparing the Tacos al pastor, chorizo and prawns by my self. I will do just few because i will be training my cooks at the same time, so I would like to invite you for the taste and get one or more of this addition free of charge

Today I will be introducing the

"Tacos al Pastor" then

"gringas" (al pastor meat served in a flour tortilla companied with cheese)

"Tacos the chorizo" (corn or flour tortilla),

"Choriquezo" (flour tortilla filled with melted cheese and chorizo)

"Camorones endiablados" (Chili paste marinated prawns in a flour or corn tortilla)

I will be at T&S by the evening so I hope you make some time after 6 pm for this

Best regards

Sincerely yours

Jorge

As I said, I don't doubt that it's authentic, nor am I a Mexican food connoisseur - all I know is what I eat in LA, which is obviously a bit adjusted for American tastes.

That being said - I don't think the beef was of the right quality even for Mexico. I am assuming I was served what was supposed to be carne asada - but the beef was of very poor quality. The salsas were fine, the guacamole was perhaps poor in color because I suppose you use local avocados - but taste was okay.

I hope you will continue to improve the product - note that I didn't try just one, but THREE products - four if you include the guacamole. I think you should have a word with whomever cooked today's meal - they ought to know who, plus you should have the receipt marked with a ThaiVisa 15% off (much appreciated) - and ask them where the beef came from and why the portions were so tiny. I would say that the total amount of beef in two taquitos, a quesadilla and a burrito was less than a quarter of a pound, or 115 grams if you like. The guacamole was a decent size portion though so in the end the meal was of reasonable size.

One more thing - if you're going to advertise beef/chicken/pork - perhaps you should indicate that there is ground seasoned beef as well as carne asada. I automatically made an assumption which turned out to be wrong (though I happen to like a decent carne asada as well) - I only asked for beef, and was not asked which type of beef I would prefer.

Best regards

Hola !

Thank you very much for the advice and I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Cheers

Jorge

Don't be shy to have "special of the day" while you are refining & expanding your menu.

In this way you can see what works & what doesn't.

Wishing you all success Jorge.

As I told you the first time the taste of your food is "authentic" - not tex mex for sure & that is why I like it. If I want tex mex I will go to Taco Bell.

I stopped by tonight for the tacos al pastor and even without the trompo they were better than any I've eaten outside Mexico. Much better than any al pastor I've had in the US southwest, Texas or California. They tasted very close to tacos al pastor from el DF. I had the tacos de carne asada tonight as well, excellent. Sorry I couldn't stay to try to the choriquezo, as I had an appointment elsewhere. I think you should feature these every Sunday, if not every day.

The Mexican customers at tables on both sides of mine (I was one of the only non-Mexicans in the restaurant tonight) were obviously very happy. I haven't felt that kind of alegria since I lived in Mexico.