The Mexican Food Poll

What's the best Mexican food in Thailand  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't be shy to have "special of the day" while you are refining & expanding your menu.

In this way you can see what works & what doesn't.

Wishing you all success Jorge.

As I told you the first time the taste of your food is "authentic" - not tex mex for sure & that is why I like it. If I want tex mex I will go to Taco Bell.

DC, when you go to Taco Bell can you get me 3 soft tacos and a side of those little tater tot things. Thanks

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally made it to Tacos & Salsa last night and I have to agree with sabaijai; we finally have authentic Mexican food in Bangkok. I ordered the beef tacos and they were every bit as good as any I've had from the vendors in Mexico. The key of course is that we now have a Mexican owner who knows what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. Thank you Jorge! You can bet I will be back to try some of the other items on the menu soon. The only drawback might be that the portions where rather small. When I ordered the tacos that is what I got, 2 tacos and nothing else, no rice no beans no chips, but given that the tacos were so good it made little difference and I could have ordered those other items extra had I read the menu a bit closer or asked if they were included. I preferred sitting in the small outdoor area especially since the weather in Bangkok has been so beautiful these past few days. The indoor seating area looked a bit more formal than I expected. Overall, this is hands down the best Mexican food I've had in Bangkok since first coming here over 20 years ago.

The only drawback might be that the portions where rather small.

I agree that the portions are too small. And that the beer is too expensive. I ordered a San Miguel while I waited for my take-away and it cost somehting like 120 baht. I'd expect a floor show at that price :o

(I think the 'inside bit' is a different restaurant; the Pavilion, right?)

I finally made it to Tacos & Salsa last night and I have to agree with sabaijai; we finally have authentic Mexican food in Bangkok. I ordered the beef tacos and they were every bit as good as any I've had from the vendors in Mexico. The key of course is that we now have a Mexican owner who knows what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. Thank you Jorge! You can bet I will be back to try some of the other items on the menu soon. The only drawback might be that the portions where rather small. When I ordered the tacos that is what I got, 2 tacos and nothing else, no rice no beans no chips, but given that the tacos were so good it made little difference and I could have ordered those other items extra had I read the menu a bit closer or asked if they were included. I preferred sitting in the small outdoor area especially since the weather in Bangkok has been so beautiful these past few days. The indoor seating area looked a bit more formal than I expected. Overall, this is hands down the best Mexican food I've had in Bangkok since first coming here over 20 years ago.

Hi,

Thank you for stop by and i am sorry because i wasn't there last night

Regarding the items o n the menu, yes, i am agree, i am fixing it them in order to make the Tacos for 40THB each and the Taquitos at 20THB each. I use to sale the plate that includes rice and beans (soup or refried), but i notice that some people left a bit of either bean or rice, so i decide to separate them and let the people make the choice depending of how hungry they are, specially for Thai people that eat very small portions.

Let me work it out.

And I hope to see you again soon

Remember that on Sunday i will have a special taquitos of chorizo and "al Pastor"

Thank you

J

The only drawback might be that the portions where rather small.

I agree that the portions are too small. And that the beer is too expensive. I ordered a San Miguel while I waited for my take-away and it cost somehting like 120 baht. I'd expect a floor show at that price :o

(I think the 'inside bit' is a different restaurant; the Pavilion, right?)

Hi,

Thank you for let me know what you think.

I will look after that. I am trying to keep the prices in the reasonable way since I open.

As you notice, The indoor area in an Indian restaurant and I am renting just the outdoor area, my clients can also seat inside, but the atmosphere is completely different, also, I paying quit expensive rent and it is not easy to cover that plus salaries, at the moment since I have just open six month ago and i want to last longer.

Anyway, i will re-check my prices,

Remember that also i have happy hour every day from 4pm to 7pm where you can by any beer (except Corona) or any Margaritas.

Thank you for the advice

I hope to see you back soon

J

the refried beans and tostada were good...the guacamole and salsa were good too...i was surprised to find this type of salsa there, as most peole know salsa as picante sauce.

unfortunately i cannot say the same for the pale colored beef, looked and tasted like boiled beef...

yes, i am cooking, .........now I am doing a marinate pork for "tacos al pastor" so I can include it some day soon in the restaurant, not for only make money, but because I wanna share it with you guys.

Wow! Tacos al pastor estilo D.F. I miss that! Let us know when it is on the menu.

"Some of the dishes at Tacos and Salsa are tasty, but their salsas suck IMHO. They are processed into a baby food like consistency with hardly any flavor at all. "

Agree. Those salsas are not nearly as good as what I've had in New Mexico, Arizona or Lo Cal (SD).

Well, i guess that you are in the wrong topic discussion.

The members here are talking about Mexican food Mexico is located just on the south of New Mexico, Arizona and California. and It takes two fly to get to Mexico city, so I think that you are too far away from what Mexican food (authentic) is from.

Yes, you're geography is correct. I've eaten Mexican Food in Mexico City. Enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy what I had at your restaurant. No worries, sounds like you have many happy customers. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the USA to enjoy some New Mexican (Hatch) food. Love those Hatch Green Chili's!!

Best of luck!

"Some of the dishes at Tacos and Salsa are tasty, but their salsas suck IMHO. They are processed into a baby food like consistency with hardly any flavor at all. "

Agree. Those salsas are not nearly as good as what I've had in New Mexico, Arizona or Lo Cal (SD).

Well, i guess that you are in the wrong topic discussion.

The members here are talking about Mexican food Mexico is located just on the south of New Mexico, Arizona and California. and It takes two fly to get to Mexico city, so I think that you are too far away from what Mexican food (authentic) is from.

Yes, you're geography is correct. I've eaten Mexican Food in Mexico City. Enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy what I had at your restaurant. No worries, sounds like you have many happy customers. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the USA to enjoy some New Mexican (Hatch) food. Love those Hatch Green Chili's!!

Best of luck!

Good to hear that

Buen viaje

Cheers

the refried beans and tostada were good...the guacamole and salsa were good too...i was surprised to find this type of salsa there, as most peole know salsa as picante sauce.

unfortunately i cannot say the same for the pale colored beef, looked and tasted like boiled beef...

Pan frying is different that boiling, tried at home and you will notice the difference.

Any way, there are so many ways to cook meat in this planet and Mexico is not at exception

Come over on Sunday and try the al pastor and may be I will get a griller and then make fresh grill (BBQ) for tacos

Cheers

Looks like the same griller as a Shuwarma stand which I know for a fact are for sale in Thailand.

Wouldn't shredded beef be better than ground? (minced to some).

In fact it is, if not net same, very similar, since that that sort of taco (al pastor) was created in Mexico City by "El Tizoncito" who claims to be the creator of Tacos al pastor, but it has a strong Middle east influence, mainly from Turkey and Lebanon, since Mexico City and specially the State of Puebla (two hour driving North east), where are many taco shop that actually are Shawarmas, but we (Mexicans( call them "Tacos Arabes" ( Arabian Tacos) and the grillers are available in Thailand, but I need to wait a bit until I reach the point where the demand ask me to get it :-), so no worries, i am working on it.

Actually, with this email i will be saying Thank you to every body for let me join this forum where I have learn many new thing. But I feel like will be better if I just dedicate my self to my business and i let you to judge what is good for you.

So I will be visiting the forum every day if possible, but i will not participate on it.

Thank you so much for your support and I hope to see you more often at Tacos & Salsa.

Saludos

Jorge

Dear friends and costumers

Tacos and salsa is updating the menu prices and extending the the menu just a bit.

So from now on and for the moment until eventually we add the new items to the menu, we will have every Sunday from lunch the following specials

Our classic marinated beef, pork, chicken and vegetarian, and we will add the next Mexico City tacos style

Tacos al Pastor (grilled marinated pork with pineapple) Mexico's City favorite taco

Tacos de Chorizo con queso (spicy sausage with lots of cheese)

Tacos de Grilled beef stake (BBQ grilled fresh beef stake)

Tacos de Grilled chicken (BBQ grilled chicken breast stake)

Tacos de Grilled pork (BBQ grilled pork stake

Tacos de Prawn Diablo al tequila (prawn marinate in chili sauce)

4 pieces for 190 THB including refried beans and Mexican rice. Or each for 40 THB, plus the adds such as rice or beans, for just 20 THB each

With this we offering you 10 different sort of tacos in our very authentic Mexican style

Also, i am working on integrate two new very very spicy chili sauce, for the one who like to take the challenge or for the one that really want to test how the Mexican salsa spicy can be. All fresh made, I have no names for those, so i accept suggestion ;-)

So, I hope to see you there soon

Also we have adjusted most of the prices in our menu, so please come an check them out

Warm regards

:o

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

Please be sure to let us know when you have these new options on your regular menu. I think a visit to Bangkok is order. If you have any Mexican relatives who know how cook, Pattaya is screaming for a REAL Mexican taqueria. What could better than good tacos at an urban beach resort?

Edited by Jingthing

A word on the portions at Tacos & Salsa, they're comparable to those offered at real taquerias in Mexico as opposed to the huge plates offered in gringolandia. I like ordering taco plates sencillo, without rice, beans or other filler, so if you do add combo plates to the menu, Jorge, do keep the just-tacos option there too! Just like at taquerias in Mexico, where rice and beans are extra (and rarely offered)!

Yes, the portions were not Gringo-sized - which I understood but what I had was probably not even Mexican-sized. Despite that, I might be convinced to go back again, particularly to try the al Pastor and the chorizo.

Having said that - went to Sunrise at Emporium - and had a huge gringo burrito, no rice or beans, with guacamole, which I enjoyed very much, except that I ordered carne asada and I think I got carnitas instead - but still delicious and satisfying.

Yes, the portions were not Gringo-sized - which I understood but what I had was probably not even Mexican-sized. Despite that, I might be convinced to go back again, particularly to try the al Pastor and the chorizo.

Having said that - went to Sunrise at Emporium - and had a huge gringo burrito, no rice or beans, with guacamole, which I enjoyed very much, except that I ordered carne asada and I think I got carnitas instead - but still delicious and satisfying.

"what I had was probably not even Mexican-sized"

"Taquito" means small "Taco" and for sure it is what you have in a normal "taqueria" in Mexico City, believe, I am Mexican :D and many other Mexican have prove it.

"Gringo" is a word that I don't use at all. I don't like to make esterotypes and I have may very good "amigos" (friends) and costumers fron USA.

I happy for you to heard that you satisfy you appetite at Sunrice Tacos, Greg is a good person and I thanks his to make busines with Mexican food, as well as I do for Coyote, Mmacita and many others that are helping to expand as sho what is Mexican food out side Mexico, and for sure it is some thing very hard to do, specialy in a country like Thailand.

I am not here to show or prove that Tacos & Salsa has the best Mexican food in thailand, I don't even apear in the ranking list. and it is fine.

I am here to let you know, to all the member of the forum that now we have real Mexican food from Mexico City, like it or not it is like that, and some people apreciate that, in fact, I am personally very picky with the food, and when I want to eat Japanese food (one of my very favorites) I go to Japanese restaurant which is own for a Japanese person and many Japanese go there to eat and don't eat at "Oishi restaurant" since that is not original but it doesn't mean that it is bad al all at all. and that is that case for Italian, Indian, Isish / English, German / Chinese / and even Thai food, which I preffer to eat it at the small street fod stalls rater that go to a fancy touristic like restaurant. i like authentic Thai food and i respect an valorate that.

So, you have your choice and it is good for you, and that is it, Next time try the "firehouse...some thing" at Coyote, you will like it.

And if you wish to try a original Mexican food try us.

Since that I feel that you have never been to Mexico City (not Tijuana or el Paso etc) I paste so links for your information and the you will have some idea about "Real Mexican Food". Read them please :o

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/puebla/kgtacos1.html

http://oishiieats.blogspot.com/2008/07/tac...exico-city.html

http://menuinprogress.com/2008/03/mexico-c...stor-at-el.html

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/267120

http://mexicocitydf.blogspot.com/2008/09/b...exico-city.html

http://www.lycos.com/info/taco-bell--mexico-city.html

http://community.roughguides.com/planning/...s+El+Pastorcito

http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/places/mexic...city/tips/tacos

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=366759

Cheers

J T&S

I think you misunderstood... LOL... I know what a taquito is. I also ordered a burrito and a quesadilla, don't forget, and these are not supposed to be micro-sized - and they weren't, they were normal sized tortillas - but the amount of meat inside was tiny - same amount in the burrito and the quesadilla as in the taquitos!

The taquitos were about what I had expected in size though a bit light on the meat.

I didn't choose the word Gringo - was referring to Sabajai's original post, which was obviously in jest.

Now - let me also point out that what I got was far less than what are in your photos. And you have a disclaimer in your menu which says "All above photos are for marketing purposes only".

Is it not reasonable to expect to get what you see in the photo? Are you expecting me to take photos of the dishes the next time so I can show how much (or little) one is paying for? I did the Thai/Japanese thing - which is to eat the food, say it was nice when the waitress asked, paid for the food, and left. Should I have made a big fuss instead, with customers around?

Please understand - I want you to make good food, and I am happy to pay for good food - but if I cannot make reasonable comments about what I got without being brushed aside, then I just stop, and you learn nothing.

Edited by onethailand

I think you misunderstood... LOL... I know what a taquito is. I also ordered a burrito and a quesadilla, don't forget, and these are not supposed to be micro-sized - and they weren't, they were normal sized tortillas - but the amount of meat inside was tiny - same amount in the burrito and the quesadilla as in the taquitos!

The taquitos were about what I had expected in size though a bit light on the meat.

I didn't choose the word Gringo - was referring to Sabajai's original post, which was obviously in jest.

Now - let me also point out that what I got was far less than what are in your photos. And you have a disclaimer in your menu which says "All above photos are for marketing purposes only".

Is it not reasonable to expect to get what you see in the photo? Are you expecting me to take photos of the dishes the next time so I can show how much (or little) one is paying for? I did the Thai/Japanese thing - which is to eat the food, say it was nice when the waitress asked, paid for the food, and left. Should I have made a big fuss instead, with customers around?

Please understand - I want you to make good food, and I am happy to pay for good food - but if I cannot make reasonable comments about what I got without being brushed aside, then I just stop, and you learn nothing.

Hola,

Thank you for your comment, actually I really apreciate them.

Actually I feel like I am taking to much care for one or two costumers that are not happy for any reason when I have amny other that are happy, but that is fine, It is my commitment to every body fo to offer good food, not to expencive and with good service.

Actually I have been learning a lot since i joing this forum, and I really have to thank all of you for that.

In the other hand, I just open the restaurnt six month ago, I am not as big as the others, I have just four tables and the rent and salaries are pretty high, please do not missunderstand me too, I making the effort to just bring some authentic food.

Yes in the poster i place i add that leyend, because y just start saling this "taquitos" yesterday and I didn't have any pictures from the actual product that we have, so in ordet to avoid missunderstanding I use some that I download from the web, which shows taquitos from a taqueria in Mexico, then that is my target, to make it just like that. I know that we have to improve all every day, even if many costumer are happy, I like to check the food quality, but also I have to behave the finances. Here is no Mexico and a lot of ingredients ar already are expencive, starting for the tortillas for example.

I really apreciat that youu want to make good food and that apply to all the Mexican restaurant here in Thailand, so I expect that they also improve they standars and products, then we can compete and definatelly bring you much better Mexican food. And that is what I am doing here.

If you notice, i am here not just talking great thing about my food, I am actually trying to help to the other restaurant, and may be they want or can or may not, but it will be up to them to also sale what they say to sale, which is Autentic Mexican food.

So, thank you again, and next time you drop by T&S please let me know, so I make sure that I am in the restaurant and take care of your concerns.

By the way, the pictures i just attach were taken yesterday, so this is what you will have.

I hope to see you again soon

Best regards :o

Jorge Bernal

T&S

http://www.myspace.com/tacosandsalsabkk