The Mexican Food Poll

What's the best Mexican food in Thailand  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry to start another thread on Mexican cuisine, but I am interested in knowing which Mexican food restaurant in Thailand is the favorite of ex-pats and vacationers. I plan to open my own Mexican restaurant (don't worry, you will also be able to get burgers and fries there) and am trying to weigh the preferences of the BM's.

I haven't tried them all, but to date, I like Sunrise in Bangkok the best. It's not great, but it is satisfying and tasty. Outside of Bangkok, I like Sam's in Pattaya the best. He previously served his food out of Shooter's bar, but I believe his new restaurant opens this week.

If you post, let us know what you thought about the food and its style. We don't need to hear about lousy service, flies and cockroaches. If you vote for "other" please post your choice.

A special thanks to dotcom for starting the nominations thread.

BKK Mexican Restaurant Nomination link

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO there is only ONE Mexican Restaurant in Thailand that qualifies for these honors, but it is not possible to vote for MIGUEL'S MEXICAN in Chiang Mai without a bunch of fake votes for other places. Can you fix it for those of us who have eaten there?

By the way. Dave at the Duke's restaurant in Chiang Mai taught the Sunrise fellow how to make Mexican food and his weekly Mexican Night is probably only second to MIGUEL'S, so he should be on here too. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I know that I am amazingly annoying about my gratitude that we have Miguel's Mexican, but please consider that I have been whining for a decent Mexican restaurant in Thailand for almost 20 years and I am most grateful that we finally have one and that I don't have to fly home for a burrito. :o

In Bangkok alone I probably prefer Mexican Tartars to Sunrise a bit but they are pretty close. As for all of Thailand, Miguel's in Chiang Mai is the clear winner. But even there I would prefer that they expanded their menu. Still, there is no Mexican restaurant in Thailand good enough that I would eat at if it were in the southwest US or Mexico.

Voted Coyote in Bangkok (though Sunrise runs it very close), but never eaten at another Mexican restaurant in Thailand outside of Bangkok, so voted "Other" for those sections, although this should really be "N/A" or "Never eaten Mexican food in this category", guess it's too late to add these now though.

As usual, I vote the same as Ulysses G. Salsa Kitchen in Chiang Mai is maybe as good as Sunrise Taco in BKK. I once tried a place on lowest Sukumvit near the Sala Daeng BTS station, and only the waiter was good, whilst the Corona was warm.

How many warm Corona did you drink there PB, I have oft mistaken lower suk for hel_l on occaision but not Saladeang BTS,

BTW, nothing worse than warm Corona!

Hmm, that didn't last too long. Was an inferior product, though, compared with Sunrise Tacos. Even Sabrosa (Or is it called Barbosa? Anyway, the taco stand in Villa at Ari and I think somewhere in Thong Lo too) is better, and that's a place where they microwave your burrito before serving it to you. A nice pair of guys were running Taco Loco though.

DP25 Posted 2008-10-07 22:59:01

In Bangkok alone I probably prefer Mexican Tartars to Sunrise a bit but they are pretty close. As for all of Thailand, Miguel's in Chiang Mai is the clear winner. But even there I would prefer that they expanded their menu. Still, there is no Mexican restaurant in Thailand good enough that I would eat at if it were in the southwest US or Mexico

Now I haven't been to Mexico since early 80's but I never had what US Mexican restaurants are famous for Tex or Cal Mex. in Mexico during these days ,good meats were so-so....fish , seemed to be more the quality dishes ....I've had tasty dishes near borders...shrimp ,great Cheese & Mushrooms in Oaxaca area...good Mole in Merida...with also good spicy cooked pork.....this does go back to the 70'& 80's , so it may have improved with the ages....

to tell the truth , one of my favorite and first Mexican Rest. I ever ate at was in New York, Manhattan in Middle to West Village on Washington Place off of 6th Ave.....it was in a basement...it was Mom & Pop but Tasty....in those days the 6o's ,it was the only Mexican Rest., but it was very tasty....after my first trip to Mexico in '72 or 73 , I was totally disappointed with the food quality down in Mexico , compared to places in New Orleans I had tried and the place in NYC (now there's lots of Mexican in NYC).... so unless its changed, which it has just like Bkk & Th. has....there might be a few more quality places outside of Mexico City...but that was Shrimp !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You left out my favorite, Tacos & Salsa, Bangkok (my vote for poll entries 1and 3).

I seriously doubt any member participating in this poll can claim they have eaten at every Mexican restaurant in Thailand :o I've eaten at most, but there a few spots listed outside Bkk and CM that I haven't been to.

As usual, I vote the same as Ulysses G. Salsa Kitchen in Chiang Mai is maybe as good as Sunrise Taco in BKK. I once tried a place on lowest Sukumvit near the Sala Daeng BTS station, and only the waiter was good, whilst the Corona was warm.

For my tastes, having lived in California, Texas and Mexico, Sunrise beats Salsa Kitchen and Tacos & Salsa beats both. Tacos & Salsa and Miguel's are so close it's a tough call, but I personally would give T&S the edge for better tacos, better guacamole, better Mexican breakfasts, better choice of salsas and a more interesting menu (including chilaquiles, for example). The Mexico City owner is friendly and is steadily upgrading the offerings, with new menu items, weekly specials, etc. In some cases one dish is better at one place than it is at another, and vice versa. Sunrise's burritos are the best of any I've eaten in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, for example.

The resto at the Rembrandt Hotel is called Senor Pico, not Tia Maria's. Tia Maria on Suk soi 23 was pretty off-base the last time I tried it a few years ago. Ditto for El Gordo on Silom.

BTS Sala Daeng is nowhere near Sukhumvit , PB. Did you mean Coyote, on Convent Rd, off Silom near BTS Sala Daeng? I wasn't impressed either, although the servings are huge.

I will happily admit that sabaijai knows more about Mexican and Thai food than almost any foreigner on the forum, so I am really looking forward to trying Tacos & Salsa next time I hit Bangkok. He does not like sour cream on it however, so I clearly have better functioning taste buds. :o

The Chiang Mai Mail did an article this week comparing Miguel's Mexican Cafe and Salsa Kitchen in Chiang Mai. The reviewer claimed to have spent something like 30 years eating California Mexican and the real deal in Mexico itself, but I felt like he must have damaged his taste buds on too many tequila worms over time as he preferred Salsa Kitchen and made no attempt to hide it.

I really enjoy the food at Salsa Kitchen, but the BBQ ribs beat the Mexican food by a mile and although their Mexican is enjoyable, it is no way authentic, while Miguel's could actually be located in California and not disappoint as an average place for burritos

The chilaquiles at T&S came with a dollop of sour cream - in place of the traditional crema, which I reckon isn't available here - and I must admit it complimented the dish well, UG. The trick is not to add so much that it blurs the flavours.

I look forward to trying Salsa Kitchen's new location when I'm next in Chiang Mai. Didn't someone on the forum say the Mexican food was better at the new one?

Tacos & Salsa. The best in Bangkok by a country mile.

Location?

Suk Soi 18

Thanks! :o

It's easy to miss even though it's close to the Sukhumvit entrance to Soi 18. It's on the right-hand side of the soi just before a large Indian restaurant with white tablecloths on the tables. I think the Indian place is called India Pavilion (but maybe not). Tacos & Salsa occupies a narrow space right next to the Indian place.

Vato if you're a teacher and have ID to prove it, Friday nights T&S offers free drink with all food orders, from 7pm till closing. Saturdays free Margaritas from ladies from 8 to 9pm. All other days happy hour for everyone 5-7pm. I'm not part of the biz, just a customer who wants to see the place last a long time. :o