The Mexican Food Poll

What's the best Mexican food in Thailand  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I am amazingly annoying about my gratitude that we have Miguel's Mexican, but please consider that I have been whining for a decent Mexican restaurant in Thailand for almost 20 years and I am most grateful that we finally have one and that I don't have to fly home for a burrito. :D

Still waiting for a good mexican restaurant.. Miguels is okay for fast food, but the Tacos are not made with corn tortillas, and a deep fried burrito? AWFUL :o

I've only eaten at a handful of Mexican places in Thailand, but my vote goes to Sala Mexicali in Phuket, just south of Chalong circle on the main road to Rawai.

Prices are a bit steep and your food takes FOREVER to make, but they make absolutely everything fresh, so all is forgiven.

Edited to add that the prices are only slightly above Coyote's, yet the food is worlds better.

Edited by fallingoffthemap

I know that I am amazingly annoying about my gratitude that we have Miguel's Mexican, but please consider that I have been whining for a decent Mexican restaurant in Thailand for almost 20 years and I am most grateful that we finally have one and that I don't have to fly home for a burrito. :D

Still waiting for a good mexican restaurant.. Miguels is okay for fast food, but the Tacos are not made with corn tortillas, and a deep fried burrito? AWFUL :o

I'm not 100% sure of this because I usually stick to the burritos, but I was told that the tacos are made with soft corn tortillas which are how they are supposed to be. The hard corn tortillas are a Taco Bell innovation which some people have copied but are not authentic.

I have never seen or heard of a deep fried burrito at Miguel's - they do have deep-fried desert burritos which are really apple pies - but they have quite a variety of normal, non-fried ones which are almost as good as back home. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

The hard corn tortillas are a Taco Bell innovation which some people have copied but are not authentic.

Taco Bell didn't invent hard-shell tacos, but certainly were the reason they became popular in the U.S.

Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada. The style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version first described in a cookbook authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949. These have been sold by restaurants and by fast food chains.

Even non-Mexican oriented fast food restaurants have sold tacos. Mass production of this type of taco was encouraged by the invention of devices to hold the tortillas in the U-shape as they were deep-fried. A patent for such a device was issued to New York restaurateur Juvenico Maldonado in 1950, based on his patent filing of 1947. (U.S. Patent No. 2,506,305) Such tacos are crisp-fried corn tortillas filled with seasoned ground beef, cheese, lettuce and sometimes tomato or sour cream.

At the age of 23, Taco Bell founder Glenn Bell came home from serving in the Marine Corps during WWII. He went to San Bernardino, California, sure that there were would good market for recreational activities that had disappeared during the war. His first business venture was a hot-dog stand called Bell's Drive-In, where he learned the foundations of business. Bell sold the stand in 1952 and started to create a better version. He didn't want his stand to be like the McDonald brothers, who were starting their first stand at the time, so he strayed away from burgers and fries. After experimenting with alternative food items, Glen Bell opened three Taco-Tia stands in 1954 and 1955, which he later sold to his partners. He then opened the first Taco Bell in Downey, California on March 21, 1962.

The first Taco Bell franchise was sold in 1964 and the company became public in 1969. In 1978, the chain was sold to PepsiCo. The chain was spun off along with Pepsi's other fast food restaurant holdings as Tricon Global Restaurants in October 1997. Tricon became Yum! Brands in May 2002.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Tacos & Salsa. The best in Bangkok by a country mile.

Location?

Suk Soi 18

Thanks! :o

It's easy to miss even though it's close to the Sukhumvit entrance to Soi 18. It's on the right-hand side of the soi just before a large Indian restaurant with white tablecloths on the tables. I think the Indian place is called India Pavilion (but maybe not). Tacos & Salsa occupies a narrow space right next to the Indian place.

When I passed by the Tacos and Salsa menu board yesterday, I noticed a hand written note which essentially said "30% discount for Thai"... Think I'll try Coyotes' weekday fajita special instead!

When I passed by the Tacos and Salsa menu board yesterday, I noticed a hand written note which essentially said "30% discount for Thai"... Think I'll try Coyotes' weekday fajita special instead!

Serious? I was planning to head down there after reading some good reviews in this thread. But if they are doing that, or have ever done it, they will NEVER get a single baht from me, no matter how good their food is.

Serious? I was planning to head down there after reading some good reviews in this thread. But if they are doing that, or have ever done it, they will NEVER get a single baht from me, no matter how good their food is.

That would be pretty offensive. However, it wouldn't be so bad if the discount was for first time customers who are Thai, as perhaps most Thai people have not even tasted Mexican food. Try it, they might like it.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi friends,

May be so of you know me already, mat be some not.

Anyway, I am not here to advertise my Mexican food. i am just want to greet all of you and show my respects for everybody for the effort of been finding more Mexican food restaurant in Thailand.

I saw the latest answers concerning about the 30% discount for Thais, and I am totally agree with you to feel offended. I have been living in Thailand for 8 tears and I am always have been so disappointed for go to Koh Samet and see the Thais paying 20 THB and me and my gf pay 200 THB each because we are foreigners. But, well, now, since I have decide to open this small business making what the food I grow up with at home (Mexico City) and learning by been making me and my brother our home work in the kitchen at the time my mum was cooking the lunch and or diner.

So, now, I have decide to settle here, like may be most of you.

I would not say that my food is the best in Thailand, because is not, but what is true, is that it is honest and authentic form where i am from originally. And I want to share with all of you that, as well as I really need to get Thai people to try the food and see what is like the authentic Mexican food, which is very different than what we already have around. For your information, there is also and other Mexican guy that has a restaurant in Patong Beach, Phuket. Banana Sombrero.

In T&S, we are not making a big money now, i just opened just six months ago, and I am struggling, but i will reming strong and working, because I want to let people know what is Mexican food like. specially to Thai people, because, this is Thailand. and they have also such a delicious food that is difficult for them to try some thing different. The 30% discount by the way, is only for the lunch time because at that time they are no costumers and there are many office building and shops around where Thai people work. I know, it sound like I am discriminating, but, believe me, i am not, I am just trying to get the attention of thais, even if no one has come to ask for that promotion yet, which has been there since two moths ago.

But i am not believe that that would be a reason for then say that better go to Coyote and the Wed fajitas, which sound more like adv. but it is fine, I am personally recommend the "fire house" or some thing like that, I it my only favorite, and every time I go I have it with a order or warm flour tortillas.

I guess that as I Mexican how grow up in Mexico and never been an emigrant worker in USA, I know better the Mexican food and I value more what you guys here are doing. and because of that i am committed to do my best, only because of you.

I want to be the best one, but not the only best one, i need competence because that make us bee better and batter.

Also, if you want to eat at home, sure you can, but not because i have that discount, do it be cause you feel happy to do so. Today after six month of been working everyday in the restaurant, i have decide to take the day off, and guess what I am doing now? yes, i am cooking, in the afternoon i made Japanese curry with potatoes and pork chunks and now I am doing a marinate pork for "tacos al pastor" so I can include it some day soon in the restaurant, not for only make money, but because I wanna share it with you guys.

So dear friends, thank you so much again for the support and search of good Mexican food in Thailand.

Please forgive my poor english perhaps.

Cheers

J :o

post-73993-1230569491_thumb.jpg

What is wrong with trying to get thai people to try Mexican food, when they don't even know where Mexico is.

I have discount for regular costumers and special promotions. when I am struggling to keep the business on.

Please accept my apologizes if that make feel offended, but this is Thailand, and I and in the same situation as you as been foreigner. And I use to feel very offended for it as well.

Unfortunately, that is the way that Thai people think and is they culture. And american friend came to night ago and suggested me to give some samples, other free food for Thai, but of course no, I am not going to do that.

Cheers

Mexican restaurant dude. You sound like a great guy. I don't care what discounts you offer as long as you do good Mexican food! Buenos suertes amigo! A Thai once told me he doesn't like Mexican food because it is "too spicy". Incredulously I asked him what are you talking about, Thai food is spicy and you like Thai food. "Yeah, but Mexican is the WRONG spices." So you do have an uphill battle with the Thai palate.

Edited by Jingthing

hi mexican dude...lol...the thai people i have introduced to bangkok mexican food have told me that it is too sour from the salsas put on them, overpowerring, so i think if you have more traditional salsas...and not the american type...

the taste will be accomodating to thais and even non thais....because the taste of a true salsa with charred peppers and tomatoes imo is truly superior than the raw tomatoe type.

havent been to your place yet, but plan to make a run sometime this week...

regarding the 30% discount, i think it should apply to all...as it would surely be a good selling point for all.

What is wrong with trying to get thai people to try Mexican food, when they don't even know where Mexico is.

I have discount for regular costumers and special promotions. when I am struggling to keep the business on.

Please accept my apologizes if that make feel offended, but this is Thailand, and I and in the same situation as you as been foreigner. And I use to feel very offended for it as well.

Unfortunately, that is the way that Thai people think and is they culture. And american friend came to night ago and suggested me to give some samples, other free food for Thai, but of course no, I am not going to do that.

Cheers

Nothing if you ask me, some people here are too keen to provoke and compare your promotion with their bad experiences of being ripped off by thais with double pricing. Being it natural park entrance fees or something else where they have "lost" couple of hundred bahts being foreigner in Thailand. But maybe it might be good to give some discount for all who come in lunch hour if business is not good. Might bring some foreigners for lunch as well.

I have different experience with Thais and mexican food than some others above. Tried to get my wife (thai) to try for years without much luck until one time she agreed to have burrito in Coyote and now insist to have some at least once a week :o So in that sense i understand your idea for the promotion, hope it works :D

Just moved to Sukhumvit so now when i know where to find you i will be visiting still this week if not tomorrow.

The discounts for Thais thing. Its a bit delicate. Its understandable to try to help Thais try some Mexican food, because of course some will become addicted. But it does also annoy a lot of non-Thais. It it was me, I would offer a discount to ALL first time customers.

Thank you guys, I see you around

BTW Teachers night on Friday, get a free drink with your food order from 8pm till late. Ladies night on Saturday, Free Drink with the of food from 8pm till late.

And I am preparing an special of tacos for every Sunday, I'll let you know

I wish I have a dance floor lol

Cheers

:o:D

Hey guys T&S do breakfast too. Several different ones.

Hola

Yes we do

We open at the moment at 11 am and we have "Huevos Rancheros", "Mexican breakfast", "Mexican tuna breakfast", "Breackfast burritos" , fresh fruit salads and fruit shakes, tortilla soup, chicken clear soup. and "Chilaquiles"

We call them All day breakfast because you can order it any time.

Cheers

J

The discounts for Thais thing. Its a bit delicate. Its understandable to try to help Thais try some Mexican food, because of course some will become addicted. But it does also annoy a lot of non-Thais. It it was me, I would offer a discount to ALL first time customers.

Hola

Thank you for the advice.

T&S and salsa prices are almost half of the prices that you can get any where else, i have check them personally, because I wanna welcome every body.

Unfortunately, I have to cover expenses that need the business in order to keeping in running.

I am always concern about the quality of the food and I do my best to get you the best food I can with the prices i have. And believe me, it is not easy, since i am not a rich person. But I will do my best to keep every body satisfy.

So, I will change that sign for some thing else.

My propose wasn't offend any one, and i am understand your point.

cheers

J

Hola

Thank you for the advice.

T&S and salsa prices are almost half of the prices that you can get any where else, i have check them personally, because I wanna welcome every body.

Unfortunately, I have to cover expenses that need the business in order to keeping in running.

I am always concern about the quality of the food and I do my best to get you the best food I can with the prices i have. And believe me, it is not easy, since i am not a rich person. But I will do my best to keep every body satisfy.

So, I will change that sign for some thing else.

My propose wasn't offend any one, and i am understand your point.

cheers

J

You need to do whatever you think is the best chance for your business. I was just concerned that in a sincere effort to win customers, you might lose customers, which is obviously not your intention. I wish you the best of of success. There are many lovers of Mexican food in Thailand and we all appreciate your efforts.

Quote: "The best Mexican restaurant in Bangkok?"

Clearly Bourbon Street is not a Mexican food resturant. It is a Cajun Resturant which has a Tex Mex buffet on Tues night.

Shooters (R.I.P.) was Bob's Bar B Q.

Tequila Reef was founded by Robb (of Great American Rib fame) & went downhill after he sold it by all accounts.

Great American Rib has a Mexican Buffet on Monday nights.

Cheers

Nothing if you ask me, some people here are too keen to provoke and compare your promotion with their bad experiences of being ripped off by thais with double pricing. Being it natural park entrance fees or something else where they have "lost" couple of hundred bahts being foreigner in Thailand. But maybe it might be good to give some discount for all who come in lunch hour if business is not good. Might bring some foreigners for lunch as well.

Just pointing out what the sign says. However, I do think this discussion has provides a great opportunity to promote Tacos and Salsa to Thaivisa.com members. I'm sure lots of Thaivisa Mexican food lovers would flock to your restaurant if you started a Thaivisa Tuesday special or something along those lines.

Cheers

Just pointing out what the sign says. However, I do think this discussion has provides a great opportunity to promote Tacos and Salsa to Thaivisa.com members. I'm sure lots of Thaivisa Mexican food lovers would flock to your restaurant if you started a Thaivisa Tuesday special or something along those lines.

Thank you

That sounds fantastic

Let me see what can i do, for the moment lets start with

15 % off for any Thaivisa member (7 days a week from 11 am till late) applicable in the full bill (single or for group)

Notice that soon I am preparing a tacos Sunday special "Taquiza" with good prices and more taco filling options, plus the other promotions I have been opening, such as Teachers night on Fridays (two free drinks with the order of food) and Ladies night on Saturdays (two drinks fro free with the order of food) both from 8 pm till late

In order to keep record I would need to make a "thaivisa" members list

So please feel free to send me a email with your names to

Best regards

Edited by sabaijai
email removed; please contact via PM

Thank you

That sounds fantastic

15 % off for any Thaivisa member (7 days a week from 11 am till late) applicable in the full bill (single or for group)

Notice that soon I am preparing a tacos Sunday special "Taquiza" with good prices and more taco filling options, plus the other promotions I have been opening, such as Teachers night on Fridays (two free drinks with the order of food) and Ladies night on Saturdays (two drinks fro free with the order of food) both from 8 pm till late

Best regards

Don't speak for anyone else but I think its great that you are offering a discount for Thaivisa members! Thanks a bunch! :o

Best regards

Are you doing taquiza tomorrow (sunday)?

Low prices and a 15% discount. ,makes me wish i lived in bangkok. Personally i have tried many of the restaurants recommended on thaivisa and i think the glowing recommendations may have raised my expectations too high. When i visited the recommended places I did not feel it lived up to the hype or was worth the price.

Any way good luck and i hope you survive long enough for me to make it to bangkok to give you a try.