The Mexican Food Poll

What's the best Mexican food in Thailand  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hola Jorge -

If those pictures on your site were what I had gotten when I went, I would've been plenty satisfied. Thus, I can only assume that whomever was on duty that day still needs to be taught how much in each portion, etc.

Thank you for visit myspace, well, yes may was that and i will keep eye on it, next time you come ask for the alambres, you will not be sisapointed.

Best regards

Jorge

Hola Jorge -

If those pictures on your site were what I had gotten when I went, I would've been plenty satisfied. Thus, I can only assume that whomever was on duty that day still needs to be taught how much in each portion, etc.

Thank you for visit myspace, well, yes may was that and i will keep eye on it, next time you come ask for the alambres, you will not be sisapointed.

Best regards

Jorge

I have been reading the post about the best mexican food in Bangkok for almost a week now....enough is enough...... Thought Sunrise had it together , but they have been sliding down hill since expanding the menu. Too much, too difficult for a guy from Nebraska and bunch of Philipinos to handle; should have kept it simple...

This evening at 8pm I tried Tacos and Salsa, Jorge, you got it together,It was nice to actually see a Mexican cooking real Mexican food............viva mexico!

I odered guac and chips, cheese quesadillas, 2 enchiladas with green sauce(1 cheese, 1 chicken) THIS IS THE BEST ORIGINAL I HAVE TASTED...not tex mex, but original. Yes, it s a very small place, but being from Southern California, as well as going to Mexico City a lot(Zona Rosa),the best places with the best taste were the "hole in the walls".

Bigger place, bigger portions doesn't mean its gonna taste good. Typical Thailand, make it look good and fool people into believing its good......

Jorge,Keep it "Real Mexican" as I know you will, and you will continue to see success and your following will grow, You have my business....

Edited by excaliguy

News of a REAL Mexican cooking REAL Mexican food that tastes like REAL Mexican food in Thailand is fantastic news. Keep the planes from DF coming ...

That is not to say Tex Mex or Cali Mex cannot be good, they can be great, though I am not sure about Thai Mex, but anyway, please support this wonderful development. It sounds like the owner really needs the business.

Did anybody mention Taco Loco before? It was formerly stationed in Sala Daeng, but they moved somewhere in Ekkamai, but I don't know where in Ekkamai.

It was IMO a good Tex Mex, it's just a pity that they are so hard to find now...

Glad to have another choice when next I get to Bangkok, buena suerte, Jorge. The food in Mexico varies a lot regionally, most Americans are used to Northern style fast food - tacos, burritos, maybe enchiladas and very Americanized things like nachos and hard shell tacos with ground beef. The food in the south, Veracruz and Campeche, where it is tropical, is much more complex than that, with lots of different flavors but not as hot (picante). Mexico City, of course, has it all - beef, beans, and corn from the northern ranchos, great fish from the Pacific and Gulf coasts, and European specialties like paella. Entrees are much more substantial and complex than the simple things in Tex Mex or Sonoran style places in the States or most other countries. It's nice to have something good and basic like Sunset, but we can and do cook that at home in Samui. Coyote's menu looks much more promising, but even my wife, based on 6 weeks eating good Mexican food in California, feels it is somehow not authentic. I think it is the same as most Thai food far from Thailand - they give people what they want instead of the real thing. It is a real shame more people don't get a chance to experience the culinary riches of Mexico. I am glad at least to have great Thai food and grateful to all the Mexican places in Thailand that are making a sincere effort.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope to see you on Saturday

All the best

J :o

Not bad, can I re-write it for you...

This Valentine's Day - come visit us for a delicious mexican meal that will have your special one feeling the heat of the most romantic day of the year.

Nothing says I love you more than Margaritas, chillies and best mexican food in Bangkok.

To help you set the mood, we are pleased to offer you and your guest a complimentary glass of wine.

• 3 weeks later...

Its international because the kind of Mexican food we are talking about is American Indian in origin, not Spanish origin. There is also Spanish influenced Mexican food but internationally most people aren't interested in that.

the absolute best mexican food is in chiang rai, yes chiang rai.....not chiang mai , not bangkok, not pattaya.

there is a lady who has run 2 mexican restaurants in the US, formerly she was taught by a mexican family and later married a man from chorpus christi, texas...

I had the enchilada combo platter with a freaking huge basket of chips, and it was like i was back in the states....even the presentation is like what you would find,i could not finish it all....this is when you know its a real mexican place.

she isnt shy with the cheese either and the enchilada sauce, was just that ...real enchilada sauce, not tomatoe sauce like some try to pass off....the meat is prepared and seasoned correctly and not that par boiled, chewy crap.

To bad its up in chiang rai though, because out of 13 years of residing in thailand, this is the only place that fills every singe niche:

1.courtesy

2.huge portions

3.price

4.large comfortable sitting area

5.cleaniness

6.real mexican food taste

7.heart

Miguel's would be second to this place...followed by my kichen. ( the plastic chair with an electric wok on top)

the absolute best mexican food is in chiang rai, yes chiang rai.....not chiang mai , not bangkok, not pattaya.

there is a lady who has run 2 mexican restaurants in the US, formerly she was taught by a mexican family and later married a man from chorpus christi, texas...

A name of the restaurant and its location would be nice.

• 1 month later...
:o

Found this on the net from something written in 2004........wonder if this is the place in Chiang Rai:

Slowly but surely, Chiang Rai is gaining its own culinary voice. Two restaurants, one featuring Mexican cuisine and the other with an Indonesian atmosphere, are becoming hot dining spots in this far northern province.

Kae’s Internet Café & Bed and Breakfast is serving up some great Mexican food that has caught the attention of a number of local expats. Kae, the owner, spent over 10 years in Texas, and her talents toward this type of cooking is all too obvious, as she can crank out a varied and tasty assortment of burritos, enchiladas, and other Mexican fare. Her restaurant is located just north of Wat Phra Kaew and just opposite Overbrook Hospital on the road heading toward the Dusit Thani Hotel.

Hey Sinewave or any other person in Chiang Rai........does Kae's exist? any good?