Vehicular Ownership

opebo

Is it possible to 'own' a car or motorbike in one's own name in Thailand? I had heard from fellow expats that all one needs is a work permit, but the applicable bureaucracies informed me that there is in addition some sort of 'residency paper' or 'yellow book' proving one's address and so forth that one must get. I've also heard this is extremely difficult to get.

Alternatively, if one has purchased a motorbike or automobile, what happens if one never does anything about 'putting it in ones name'? Does it become illegal to be driven at some point? Does the license on the rear of the vehicle informed the police whether or not it is up to date in terms of taxation, etc., as in the USA?

Edited by opebo

Do a search and you will find everything you need on here, it is an easy process.

Yeah I tried that - couldn't find anything. I also went to the relevant offices (the DMV equivalent in Thailand) and was told I could not do it without some kind of residency paper or 'yellow house book', but they also told me they doubted a farang could get that.

You need passport and visa copies

and a work permit or residence certificate from either your embassy or local immigration.

You will also need the various forms and a copy of the sellers tabian baan and ID card.

You need passport and visa copies

and a work permit or residence certificate from either your embassy or local immigration.

You will also need the various forms and a copy of the sellers tabian baan and ID card.

Thanks. I wonder what I should do since the Thai motor vehicle office is telling me the work permit is insufficient? I doubt disputing them on the subject will be fruitful.

Oh, and the 'seller' was of course the dealership/finance company.. just finished paying off the bike. (actually I thought about trading it in if they would allow it just to avoid this ownership fiasco, though I admit the 20+% annual interest rates are a bit offputting).

Is it possible to 'own' a car or motorbike in one's own name in Thailand? I had heard from fellow expats that all one needs is a work permit, but the applicable bureaucracies informed me that there is in addition some sort of 'residency paper' or 'yellow book' proving one's address and so forth that one must get. I've also heard this is extremely difficult to get.
A valid WP makes it easier, but long term visa and proof of address ('residency paper' or 'yellow book') is all that is required, this can mean a condo rental agreement etc. Very Easy. Yellow book is possible less easy.
Alternatively, if one has purchased a motorbike or automobile, what happens if one never does anything about 'putting it in ones name'? Does the license on the rear of the vehicle informed the police whether or not it is up to date in terms of taxation, etc., as in the USA?
Road tax is paid annually for which you are given a square red badge to place in the front windshield.
Does it become illegal to be driven at some point?
If you don't pay the tax or have no insurance.

A valid WP makes it easier, but long term visa and proof of address ('residency paper' or 'yellow book') is all that is required, this can mean a condo rental agreement etc. Very Easy. Yellow book is possible less easy.

In Bangkok a condo rental agreement will not be accepted as proof of address. You need a residency letter from either your embassy or your local immigration. You used to be able to use a work permit instead but I don't know if that is still the case.

Does it become illegal to be driven at some point?
If you don't pay the tax or have no insurance.

I see! Is it possible to simply pay the tax and get insurance even though the car remains in the previous owner's name?

I see! Is it possible to simply pay the tax and get insurance even though the car remains in the previous owner's name?
Yes, we have a family member that did exactly this while the truck's owner was working overseas in Taiwan.

Yes, we have a family member that did exactly this while the truck's owner was working overseas in Taiwan.

That's great news, and saves so much trouble! So I just go down to the DMV and pay? I wonder how they would look up the bike or car, from the license number?

If the dealer has the book you should be able to go to the Dealer's offices and pay them the tax fees and they will give you a copy of the pages in the book and the year decal when they complete the payment to the Land Transport office.

Yeah I already payed them that, I think.. anyway they charged me an extra 1,300 baht or so my final month of paying on the thing. But they decline to give me any book untill I come up with this 'residence paper' in addition to my work permit.

If the dealer has the book you should be able to go to the Dealer's offices and pay them the tax fees and they will give you a copy of the pages in the book and the year decal when they complete the payment to the Land Transport office.

Yeah I already payed them that, I think.. anyway they charged me an extra 1,300 baht or so my final month of paying on the thing. But they decline to give me any book untill I come up with this 'residence paper' in addition to my work permit.

Download the paper for residence pernit from Immigration website.. Fill it in..

Take your passport + ALL the pages copied, to Immigration Room 206 [takes all of 5 mins]

you pay them 100 baht for them to EMS it back to you [about 14 days]

Go to your Embassy and ask for the paper... If you use the UK Embassy this paper cost 2,400 baht, you will need to go back the following day to pick it up...

If you bought in the same area as you live, then you only need the paper from the local Town Hall with the big red seal stamp on it.. is FREE

Recently I've changed the ownership of a bike to my name from my friend's (company) name.

I've asked :

* Company (valid) registration copy with signature and rubber stamp of my friend

* His ID card / Passport copy with signature and stamp of company

* My passport copy with my signature

* My work permit copy with my signature

* An application form with the signature of my friend and his company's rubber stamp

* A proxy form with my friend's signature and rubber stamp assigning me to do this task on his behalf

Thatz it.