Can I Avoid Visa Runs And Possibly Teach Part Time?

I'm married to a wealthy (ish) women. Her family own a rather nice resort/restaurant. We currently live outside Thailand and I have no idea what visa options are open to me if we live in Thailand.

I would prefer to aviod visa runs. I may teach but would prefer to avoid teaching full time.

Can I get a yearly visa?

If I were made a joint owner of the resort would that secure me a visa? My wife plans to build an apartment building on land that her parents are giving her. Again could that be done in such a way that gave me a visa?

I'm 40 with about 30k bht a month in share dividends to my name.

Is there anyway that we can live in Thailand and I can teach part time and stay legally?

I presume your wife is a Thai national.

Being married with a Thai national would qualify you for a non-O immigrant visa, upon show of proof of your marriage. (Nice to take the misses with you or at least a note asking her for a visa for you when you apply). The visa will give you permission to stay 90 days in Thailand. In Thailand itself you could apply for an extension of stay for 1 year if you can show a family income (you, your wife or both combined of 40,000 baht a month).

Another option is indeed get a job as a teacher and apply for a non-B visa based on that. There is no mimimum income requrement for a teacher, so you should be ok. (if you realy like to teach that is).

Edit:

You could also apply for a multiple non-O wich would give you an unlimited entries for 90 days at a time into Thailand during 1 year from date of issue. By going and coming back to Thailand just before it expires you get another 90 days, making it alomost 15 months. This would give your wife time to start her business and generate income.

Edited by Mario2008

If you are married to a Thai then you should be able to get a non-o in your home country. This can allow you to stay in Thailand for up to fifteen months, but you will need to leave the country every three months unless you can get a yearly extension based on a shared income for you and your wife ( I think that it is 40,000THB a month?). You could also get an extension on your O based on a work-permit.

I think that it might be difficult to get a work-permit if you are only working part-time as most employers might feel that it is not worth the effort and expense.

Another option is indeed get a job as a teacher and apply for a non-B visa based on that.

You can work on a Non-O.

Yes, but he has an income of only 30,000 baht. That is not enough to get an extension based on marriage, that's why the teaching job and a non-B.

Edit:

You're right. He can get a non-O and find a job before apllying for an extension and then show more than 40,000 baht a month.

Edited by Mario2008

If you are married to a Thai then you should be able to get a non-o in your home country. This can allow you to stay in Thailand for up to fifteen months, but you will need to leave the country every three months unless you can get a yearly extension based on a shared income for you and your wife ( I think that it is 40,000THB a month?). You could also get an extension on your O based on a work-permit.

I think that it might be difficult to get a work-permit if you are only working part-time as most employers might feel that it is not worth the effort and expense.

Only a total of almost 15 months if he applies for a multiple non-O. A normal non-O is only 90 days.

I'm 40 with about 30k bht a month in share dividends to my name.

If you can document 30K per month and get a letter from your consulate

I am sure that your wife and her family could come up with a way to show tax reciepts for three months prior to applying for a one year extension to show the other 10,000 needed to apply.

It might take more than a single 90 day non-o visa based upon marriage to get every thing sorted out so it might be worthwhile to get a multi non-o and start from there. It might mean one border run and then be able to apply for a 1 year extension.