Visa/passport Renewal

My Thai retirement Visa runs out in January 2009 and my passport in August 2009, I thought it would be best to renew my passport before the visa. The immigration department in Rayong told me not to do this but to wait until my passport was near to running out before renewal and they would then transfer the visa.

they said they would give me a year's visa anyway not just the 8 months.

has anyone run up against this before?

Pete

There is no problem here.

Just get the new passport when you are ready. Then Immigration will transfer your

current entry stamp to the new passport, with no loss of privilege.

When your next renewal comes up, have the old passport in hand, just in case there

are any questions, but I doubt that there will be.

Immigration will give you a stamp till the date your current passport is valid (Aug 2009). In due time you apply for a new passport. With the new passport you go to immigration and they will transfer your permission to stay and other details to your new passport. They will also give you the rest of your one year permission to stay (till Jan. 2010).

The procudure for tranferring everything to your new passport is free.

Immigration will give you a stamp till the date your current passport is valid (Aug 2009).

Provided the current passport still has at least six months validity?

Obviously this is the case for the OP, but I think I read this elsewhere on the forum.

Not sure, but I beleive the 6 month validity of the passport only applies to entry in to Thailand, not to an extension of stay. The extension rules don't say that you can't get an extension if your passport is valid for less than 6 month. Only that you you don't get an extension for longer than the validity of your passport.

I think if I was the OP I would go ahead and get a new passport before January. He will be getting close to the six month point anyway and if had a need to leave he could have problems coming back.

Some countries suggest you apply for a new passport 9 months before experation.

It also saves a trip to immigration.

Because any unexpired validity is lost when the new one is issued and given the price they charge for new passports (I'm thinking of the UK here), I would be reluctant to give up mine any sooner than I have to.

Because any unexpired validity is lost when the new one is issued and given the price they charge for new passports (I'm thinking of the UK here), I would be reluctant to give up mine any sooner than I have to.

In the suggestion mentioned they also refer to the 6 month requirement many countries have for entry.

The additional 3 months is to allow an ample amount of time for normal passport renewal verses the additional costs for an expedited renewal.

In the case of a ten year passport if you were to divide the cost by 120 it would be quite small compared to having a situation where you were unable to traval because of having less than six months remaining on a passport.

Edited by ubonjoe

In posts about getting a new UK passport I have always read that the unexpired validity does not get lost. Has there been a recent change?

--

Maestro