Only Thaksin Could Unlock Country's Problems : Anand

george

Only Thaksin could unlock country's problems : Anand

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Anand Panyarachun said only Thaksin Shinawatra can settle ongoing tensions in the country.

"At present, the country is polarised, Lt Col Thaksin is the only one who could unlock all the country's problems. I have no suggestion for Lt Col Thaksin on the matter. But I think he can do it if he has enough sincerity," he said.

Anand was speaking after presiding over a cremation of Lt Col Methee Chartmontree, who was killed on October 7 when police dispersed anti-government protesters near the Parliament.

Methee was chief of security guards of People's Alliance for Democracy leaders who have led the anti-government protests against ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his successors including Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Police's violent dispersal killed a protester; Angkana Radubpanyawoot, 28, and injured many others. The government set up committees to investigate the incident.

HM the Queen presided over the cremation of Angkana on Monday and praised her for protecting the country and monarchy.

Anand told reporters that he did not know what the government should do regarding the Oct ober 7 violence because he was not sure whether Somchai government is independent enough.

-- The Nation 2008-10-14

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable statement considering the source. Thaksin's presence in this country at the moment would cause massive problems.

Thaksin is the problem and rather than "unlocking" he should be locked up as the criminal he surely is. :o

I don't think he means he has to come back any time soon to solve the problems. Rather that he has the power to solve the problems whether he is in Thailand or not. Not sure the PAD see it quite this way, but, it is a rather strange way to give a possible ego boost to Thaksin at this point.

An amazing and also brave statement at the same time. It shows how intelligent and wise this man is combined with his sincere dedication to his country.

LaoPo

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Anand Panyarachun said only Thaksin Shinawatra can settle ongoing tensions in the country.

"At present, the country is polarised, Lt Col Thaksin is the only one who could unlock all the country's problems. I have no suggestion for Lt Col Thaksin on the matter. But I think he can do it if he has enough sincerity," he said.

-- The Nation 2008-10-14

Perhaps he was suggesting that Thaksin might reduce tension, by continuing to keep his oft-stated promise to quit Thai politics, and not approving the Cabinet before its appointment, or financing political-parties in Thailand ?

Unbelievable statement considering the source. Thaksin's presence in this country at the moment would cause massive problems.

Thaksin is the problem and rather than "unlocking" he should be locked up as the criminal he surely is. :o

As I read it can be staken the other way too.

If Thaksin were to truly give it up and retire without the BIG pile but more than comfortably,

then the country likely COULD settle down. As long as Thaksin stirs the pot we have trouble.

As I read it can be staken the other way too.

If Thaksin were to truly give it up and retire without the BIG pile but more than comfortably,

then the country likely COULD settle down. As long as Thaksin stirs the pot we have trouble.

Quiet true....but settle down to what exactly ??? The current govournment or new politics or something else ?

Funny, he should say that. I had a conversation with a Thai first thing this morning about the Cambodian ultimatum and she said (naively) that such problems never occurred under Thaksin and the country needed him to come back. I replied that that simply wouldn't work now because this would be unacceptable to far too many people. But I couldn't help thinking that many people in Isaan will be muttering much the same thing. Comparing this with Anand's statement, it is interesting that different people can say similar things with completely different meanings

Edited by citizen33

Quiet true....but settle down to what exactly ??? The current govournment or new politics or something else ?

Just minding his portfolio with an executive office the The City London,

and a summer place in the Bahamas. Buy some companies sell some companies.

He could make plenty of dough, keep busy, and and have a wonderful life

by most anyones standards...

Except his ego will yearn for the old days of power,

he has the bug, been bitten so bad HE CAN'T THINK STRAIGHT.

He really thinks he can BUY his way back to power here...

That is the MAIN reason they won't let him...

He has proved too unstable to be allowed the reigns any longer,

even at the cost of democracy for a period of time.

I love democracy, but that is NOT THE FEKIN' POINT.

The man is a menance for Thailand and must be stopped from regaining control.

Whine all you like about PAD's aims, and theories on government...or methods.

Thaksin's madness for power is the REAL 900 lb gorilla sitting in the corner,

and he wants some bananas NOW!

An amazing and also brave statement at the same time. It shows how intelligent and wise this man is combined with his sincere dedication to his country.

LaoPo

:D:o

It seems that some posters do not possess the same intelligence and wisdom as former Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun; but not many have a similar background, roots and track record either.

LaoPo

LaoPo

It seems that some posters do not possess the same intelligence and wisdom as former Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun; but not many have a similar background, roots and track record either.

LaoPo

Could not agree with you more.

What we have now are a couple of Rottweilers, ones an old Rottweiller, he's been the pack leader for 30 years, he's comming to the end of his time, but he's not giving up power to any dog, only dogs that yield to his commands are allowed close by, the other much younger and powerful Rottweiler is in the neighbours garden, teeth are bared, snarling growls continue time and time again. They once lived in the same yard, but never a real truce has existed, the youngers takeover has always threatened, this happened for a short time and the older Rottweiler lost some of his colonels. The older Rottweiler has no plan for the day he's gone! The old Rottweiler has a chinese Pug with a yellow collar running around yapping his head off with reckless-abandon. Many other dogs join the yapping and minor fights breaks out from time-to-time, it's hard to keep them in order and it's hard to keep them quiet enough to understand there yapping. The younger powerful Rottweiler is not just waiting out his time. He keeps comming to the fence and growling like he's going to leap over anytime. The old Rottweiler is not fooled, he knows his pack of dobermen in black coats have lined up to protect his rear! The younger powerful Rottweiler is not without friends, he has many times more, but their up-the-road over a hilly knoll, only distant howling can be heard from this group. ...... so, which one is it going to be! Retreat of the old dog, the younger dog moving on! None! Only one character in this imaginery pack of dogs has the ability to bring the dogs together to achieve real peace.

Please someone pinch me and tell me it's just a dream.

If I understand it properly, some members of Thaivisa read Anand's words as a snub to PAD and a suggestion for Thaksin to come back and lead the country out of the chaos. Have you lost your mind????

JJJ, Lao Po, Thai at heart - do you REALLY see it that way?!?!?

At that funeral ceremony Anand was sitting right next to Sondhi, surrounded by PAD and some leading Democrat members, and you think he was asking Thaksin to come and take charge?!?

LaoPo

LaoPo

Could not agree with you more.

What we have now are a couple of Rottweilers, ones an old Rottweiller, he's been the pack leader for 30 years, he's comming to the end of his time, but he's not giving up power to any dog, only dogs that yield to his commands are allowed close by, the other much younger and powerful Rottweiler is in the neighbours garden, teeth are bared, snarling growls continue time and time again. They once lived in the same yard, but never a real truce has existed, the youngers takeover has always threatened, this happened for a short time and the older Rottweiler lost some of his colonels. The older Rottweiler has no plan for the day he's gone! The old Rottweiler has a chinese Pug with a yellow collar running around yapping his head off with reckless-abandon. Many other dogs join the yapping and minor fights breaks out from time-to-time, it's hard to keep them in order and it's hard to keep them quiet enough to understand there yapping. The younger powerful Rottweiler is not just waiting out his time. He keeps comming to the fence and growling like he's going to leap over anytime. The old Rottweiler is not fooled, he knows his pack of dobermen in black coats have lined up to protect his rear! The younger powerful Rottweiler is not without friends, he has many times more, but their up-the-road over a hilly knoll, only distant howling can be heard from this group. ...... so, which one is it going to be! Retreat of the old dog, the younger dog moving on! None! Only one character in this imaginery pack of dogs has the ability to bring the dogs together to achieve real peace.

Could someone with canine background please translate this plot? :D

I had a conversation with a Thai first thing this morning about the Cambodian ultimatum and she said (naively) that such problems never occurred under Thaksin and the country needed him to come back.

Duh, she obviously can't remember 2003, when Thai embassy was torched.

But we can't say anything about naivety and short-sightedness of Thaksin supporters, can we? It would be politically incorrect.

If I understand it properly, some members of Thaivisa read Anand's words as a snub to PAD and a suggestion for Thaksin to come back and lead the country out of the chaos. Have you lost your mind????

At that funeral ceremony Anand was sitting right next to Sondhi, surrounded by PAD and some leading Democrat members, and you think he was asking Thaksin to come and take charge?!?

30086043-01.jpg

Thaksin supporter??? :o Anand is front-row center

Edited by sriracha john

-- The Nation 2008-10-14

Perhaps he was suggesting that Thaksin might reduce tension, by continuing to keep his oft-stated promise to quit Thai politics, and not approving the Cabinet before its appointment, or financing political-parties in Thailand ?

exactly. ppp proxies, relatives, cronies, get out!

Obviously that's not correct.He's appeasing the PAD like many who should be ashamed of themselves for doing so, in particular the rather sad spectacle of the Democrats.I suppose that at least the Dems have the excuse that not doing so would be electorally disastrous in Bangkok.I would have hoped Anand as an elder statesman could have taken a more independent position, but political courage is a rare commodity and almost unknown in Thailand.Anand is by any standards a great man and perhaps one should give him the benefit of the doubt.It's early days in this on going drama anyway.

But I still don't fully understand what Anand is suggesting that Thaksin do.I assume however is that he means stop giving directions from London.This rather misses the point because although dealing with the short term problem (as would Thaksin stepping in front of an oncoming tube) the big unaddressed issues would sooner or later return and have to be dealt with.

I miss Anand ... the only prime minister that actually did something for the country and its people ... gosh if he could have stayed longer in charge, what a charm Thailand would be today ...

I think he is simply pointing a finger at Mr. T. ... telling him in simple terms : stay away, have a life and bury your power hungry ego !

Plus, you dont need to be pinched. I for one (unlike yourself on most occasions) can step back from my preferrences and see the big picture. Not for a minute have i stated a claim as you have insinuate. Read what I wrote. There is too much division in the society for that to happen, I believe there is only one and only one in this country that has the respect everyone unconditionally such that a resolution can be made. I believe Anand is above polictics of taking sides. Both sides of this arguement, PAD/Sondhi/Democrats/Amry and Thaksin/PPP/upcoutry poor are masters at showmanship. This is not Anand taking sides. His statement is clear.

JJJ, I put you on that list because you agreed with Lao po, not because of your own words on previous page.

YH, even Chang Noi has clearly stated that this fight about Thaksin, first and foremost. Have you seen his latest article?

And you very well know that I don't take "big unaddressed issues" seriously.