Elephant, Owner Killed By Pick-up Truck On Bangkok Street

george

Elephant, owner killed by pick-up truck on Bkk street

BANGKOK: -- A seven-year-old elephant and a 16yearold Thai boy were killed instantly after being run over by a pickup truck in Bangkok's Sri Nakarin area, police said Thursday.

Police arrived the scene near Samitivet Hospital at 1.30am yesterday to find Plai Boonmee's body in the middle of the road and nearby was the body of 16yearold boy identified only as Chit. Two others people including a 12yearold son of the elephant's mahout Boonchan Yiewram were slightly injured.

The pickup truck driver Surachai Sunthornpadakul, 40, who appeared to be drunk and sustained a cut under his eye waited for police at the scene, said Pol Lt Seubsakul Khemthong of the Prawet police station.

-- The Nation 2008-10-16

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be mighty callous of me to say that I feel sorry for the elephant without mentioning the tragedy of this poor country guy losing his 12 year old son.

These people come to Bangkok with an elephant in the belief they will make money. I doubt that they guy actually owned the beast, probably just rented it from some pooyai up in Surin or........

However since elephants are banned from Bangkok streets, :o I wonder what it was doing walking along at 0130 hrs, on a busy road.

Like other posters, I'm surprised that the driver stuck around, obviously his pickup trunk was smashed up.

All rather pathetic and sad. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

There are 4 elephants out in this area on a regular basis. I probably have a picture of these folks and their elephant from the garden center (behind Seacon, where I walk my dog) less than 2 weeks ago.

yesterday evening 10 pm there were 2 elephants on Rachapralop which is the hellish busy rd from Pratunam to Din Daeng. Those are accidents are waiting to happen.

Yup.

I am sick of drunk drivers

I am sick of elephants and children being treated as "begging accessories"

I am sick of tourists who are too daft to wonder why elephants are in Bangkok,

who go on to pay for their picture to be taken with them,

and

I am sick of police who sit in their comfortable air conditioned booths and do sod all about it.

I would also like to be sick with Somchai and Thaksin and the PPP .

..but to be truthful ...I am finding even that is a stretch to weave this into the topic.

Hold up, I think I have it.

Upcountry poverty? Paying back loans?

Poor education? Incompetent TAT?

Corrupt plod?

That'll do it.

I am sick of Somchai and the current government...

Edited by Splatter

Seriously though... (I hope everyone realised I was being sarcastic. Apologies if it came over badly.)

I would guess (I don't know for sure) that it is only a small proportion

of Thailand's total elephant population that make it to Bangkok.

So I'd wonder what the majority of the elephants are doing

that don't come here.

I've watched the elephants on Sukhumvit and their mahouts

and from what I see in an hour or so

they are making pretty good money from the tourists.

Probably far far far more than the "ordinary" beggars

and it would not surprise me that the mahouts see it

as "easy money."

The mahouts aren't the nicest of characters when you

challenge them. Incredibly aggressive at times...

not really the poor rural toothless cuddly victim

we like to romanticise about.

The elephant that was killed was FAR from any tourist area ... I have seen it at local temple fairs .. across from seacon square ... at market areas etc etc

It was fed by Thais far more often than by foreigners.

We seems to agree that Elephant should not be on the street of Bangkok. We have forgotten that the elephants and other animals are here long before Bangkok is turned into a city. Human does not seems to be able to co-inhabit with the nature. All we want is to occupy for our own needs, and kick all the animals out.

If elephant have their own web board, I wonder what would they write about on this subject.

Seriously though... (I hope everyone realised I was being sarcastic. Apologies if it came over badly.)

that don't come here.

as "easy money."

Now please tell us how you really feel about all the dogs roaming about in BKK..... Please don't hold back.....

Now please tell us how you really feel about all the dogs roaming about in BKK..... Please don't hold back.....

I wish there wasn't so many dogs roaming the roads and streets of Thailand; but until neutering/spaying turns in a enforced law in Thailand please plan on continued weaving and dodging the dogs when driving.

RIP to elephant ..................

Well that probably sets an unhealthy precedent.

Next, as well as RIPs for people we don't know, and we have never heard of before, there is likely to be an outpouring of similarly faux sentiment for dogs, cats, monkeys etc, killed/dying in unusual circumstances.

Where will it end?

that don't come here.

as "easy money."

Although 'Splatter' should reply, I see your point.

However elephants really belong where you seem to be, in Surin and country areas and forests, not the mad streets of Bangkok.

But it seems easy money is the draw.

As for the dogs, most of the mangy, crippled, sad specimens on the streets should be rounded up, humanely euthanised and off to the crocodile farm.

Oh, by the way I am a dog owner, but do not agree with the hordes of strays ranging around Bangkok.

that don't come here.

as "easy money."

Although 'Splatter' should reply, I see your point.

However elephants really belong where you seem to be, in Surin and country areas and forests, not the mad streets of Bangkok.

But it seems easy money is the draw.

As for the dogs, most of the mangy, crippled, sad specimens on the streets should be rounded up, humanely euthanised and off to the crocodile farm.

Oh, by the way I am a dog owner, but do not agree with the hordes of strays ranging around Bangkok.

I agree elephants do not belong on the streets of BKK and do belong in the wilderness. However I could argue the point that many folks should not be on the streets either (or sidewalks in some cases) and would be more appropriate in a padded room somewhere. Now let me ask this question, how many (or how often) does an elephant get killed in BKK by a car/truck? For that matter how about the entire country? I am sure this is nothing that happens every day or even every year. But when it does everyone has to jump on the ye ole inhumane bandwagon.

I am a dog lover too and the dogs running around as well as their conditions bothers me much more than this one elephant. I feel more for the 16 yr old that died than I do for the elephant.

I am sick of drunk drivers

I am sick of elephants and children being treated as "begging accessories"

I am sick of tourists who are too daft to wonder why elephants are in Bangkok,

who go on to pay for their picture to be taken with them,

Why the rant in an otherwise sad and tragic story? My heart goes out to the children.

Have you never tipped a busker? These common people are no different, using what little they have to try to make a few baht.

Let's hope the driver gets the full legal treatment and the families of the deceased see some justice and compensation.

Edited by Spee

confiscate there animals and put um back in the jungle to be wild

Whilst I agree that elephants have nothing to do in the city, above is not really practical; these elephants are as domesticated as water buffaloes and just abut as capable to survive in the wild.